“Beach bugs and hotel towels but the best vacation place ever” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hedonism II

You added Hedonism II to your Saves list
Hedonism II
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Boulevard | PO Box 25, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly SuperClubs Hedonism II)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
30% off Thanksgiving Sale
Ranked #35 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Calumet City, Illinois
“Beach bugs and hotel towels but the best vacation place ever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I have vacationed at this location many times and I absolutely love the place. However, on my recent vacation from November 29, 2012 through December 6, 2012, my boyfriend and I were almost eaten alive by what we were told were beach flies. As of today, we both have many bite marks which are large in size and itch very badly. Also, there were many days that we were only given 1 washcloth and 1 bath towel and no floor mat and it was clear that there were 2 of us in a room. We only had a complete set of towels 2 days out of the eight days we spent at the resort and we often requested more but were not given more towels. The food was not at its best this visit, but it was tolerable. As always the entertainment and atmosphere was excellent and the property was kept very clean. I will absolutely go back there at my earliest opportunity. I love everything about Hedonism, the freedom, the relaxation, the fun, the people and most of all being able to let my hair down with my man. Speaking of my man, he has a very bad seafood allergy and just the smell of seafood will make him sick and seafood was being served on many nights. However, there was no Benadryl on site to help him with his allergic reaction which ended up making him sick and bed bound for 2 days and when we went to see the nurse noone was available. We had to just wait until the reaction went away naturally. Renovations are definitely needed for the bedrooms, but the overall resort is wonderful.

Room Tip: The ocean view room is the best room to have and if you can get the room with the private jacuzzi on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Florida City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We went as a couple at the end of September. Having never been to this or any similar type of resort, we knew we were taking a risk but figured we'd be brave and give it a try. This ended up being the most relaxing vacation we have ever taken. The staff was excellent - everyone was friendly and helpful, and the entertainment staff was great and really made an effort to involve guests in activities. My husband's birthday fell on our third day there; I had put a 'happy birthday' sign on our door as part of a few decorations I brought for our room, and a random member of the groundskeeping crew knocked on our door with a beautiful bouquet of flowers had had put together himself. When we returned to our room in the afternoon we found a chilled bottle of champagne and a birthday cake - I did not request any of this, we simply listed his birthdate on the form that all guests fill out upon arrival. We got used to the nudity thing pretty quickly, it's true what we read that you see people of all shapes and sizes so it's easy to feel comfortable. We did see some public sexual activity, during the day it wasn't overt but in the evenings at the hot tub it was more open. Most of the guests were very friendly, having been to the resort many times prior; we did meet another couple who invited us to join them for adult activity, but we politely declined and continued to have normal conversation. What we couldn't get over was just how relaxed the atmosphere was - you basically just did what you wanted. We enjoy snorkeling and simply had to show up at the dock to hop on a boat and were taken to a variety of snorkeling spots just minutes from the resort. The food was decent, nothing out of this world but there was so much of it that it was always easy to find something that worked. The only downside was our room, but we had researched in advance and were therefore not expecting anything great. It was certainly dated with some tacky furniture and old linens. Our bathroom door did not close all of the way. For 80% of the time we had hot water, the other 20% we had warm water. Our AC worked great and so did our TV. The housekeeping staff did an amazing job, our room was spotless each day with fresh towels and flowers on the bed. Our room was a Jacuzzi garden suite on the nude side - we really loved having a private Jacuzzi on our small terrace and were pleased to see that it was drained, cleaned, and refilled about every other day during our stay.

We are not swingers but did enjoy the option of sunbathing nude and having the public intimacy option if we so chose. The beach was beautiful and the people were friendly. We saw some crazy stuff here and there but weren't offended because we embraced the to-each-his-own vibe that was happening. For the most part we kept to ourselves and did our own thing and it was great - in fact, it brought us closer as a couple to go on this crazy adventure together. It was a really interesting and extremely laid back atmosphere; we remember our trip very fondly and we have no doubt that we will return.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed having our own Jacuzzi - ours had privacy on the garden side but we noticed that t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Can't say enough about our first trip to Hedo. We've been to Jamaica a couple times before but always wanted to travel on the wild side for a change. If you are an opened minded person that's comfortable with your body and seeing some wild things, then I recommend going at least once. Sure the hotel could use some renovations, but the staff is very attentive and entertaining! Can't wait to go back this coming ATI Weekend in August 2013.

Room Tip: Gardenview, nude side is the best location!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We've been 16 times and are planning our next trip soon! Hedo is a mature resort with beautiful grounds and common areas. The rooms are tired but the new owners are promising to spend $10 million on renovations. If you want well appointed rooms with luxury service, go to Sandals (make sure you pack lots of books because there is nothing else happening there!). If you want to have fun and enjoy your week away from the world, go to Hedo! Hedo offers everything you could want in a hedonistic holiday. If the excitement is too much, they have a large prude side that is perfect for relaxing.

Springfield, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Trip was the best ever. We booked again for next year already. The staff was friendly and polite, unless they were being REALLY friendly and polite. We felt like "regulars" there although it was our first time. Bartenders remembered your drinks ( little things like that make a difference). Rooms were better than expected from the reviews on here. The resort as a whole was great. The activities were plentiful and easy to access.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed there for 5 nights in June of 2012. We didn't want to do longer cause we didn't know how it would be and didn't want to be there longer if we didn't like it. After the first night we were already talking about a trip back. Surprisingly we had one of the best vacations ever. The staff was friendly. The games and activities were entertaining and the shows were awesome. There was never a dull moment unless I wanted it. There was a nude side and a prude side of the beach. Nothing was happening on the prude side cause everyone was on the nude side. The food was very good and a wide variety. The liquor was top shelf. The only thing that wasn't great were the rooms. They were out dated. But we only used the room to sleep and shower anyway so it wasn't a problem for us. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2012
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was our 2nd time to H2...Like the previous reviewer, we also attended on the Love Voodoo week. And like them, we are not in the “lifestyle”, but do enjoy the dancing and fun activities that H2 offers. We’ve found that a few other resorts were kind of boring, with little after dinner entertainment and late night dancing, which is why we went to H2….they offer entertainment in droves.

We also love the laid back atmosphere of the resort. We are beach people so it was terrific to spend so much time relaxing, watching the waves roll in. That all being said, I am not sure we are going to return next year…we are kind of on the fence. The hotel really needs some TLC and issues fixed.

Here is a quick review of the different areas with respective strengths/weaknesses:

Entertainment/Dancing: The entertainment staff, Winston, Fifty, etc., are extremely talented. They seriously have so much energy and go above and beyond to involve patrons in the fun. The main shows were very good each night in the main dining room, although the pre-show entertainment could use an update in their song choices. It would be great to hear slow dinner music that is current.
We and other guests were disappointed that the DJ was not out at the pool every night like last year. There was only one night last year in the disco as opposed to this year where I think there were around 3 nights where they expected guests to go to the disco. The disco DJ was not nearly as good as the one at the pool. It was if he didn’t even know what current music people wanted to dance to. In addition, it is much more fun when they have the disco party outside.

It is a lot of fun to get dressed up for the parties...such crazy costumes. But we'd like to suggest to H2 that they get rid of the dress-up naughty schoolgirl night. It is really kind of creepy, and we think there are better themes out there. Maybe move that night into the fetish night and then do something like Mardi Gras or Sports Night???

The piano bar was so much fun. Really, if you go to the resort you should go to a sing along. The piano player is very talented. Winston and Fifty made the night unforgettable. It was terrific!

As far as the games, they were fun to watch. I wish they'd give away rum for prizes. I've been to other resorts where they do that and it does encourage people to participate more. We did earn Hedo bucks for one thing but didn't use them so I don't know what the prizes were.

Rooms – People don’t go to H2 for the rooms, but my goodness, I am quite sure people would pay more to stay in a decent room. Like others have complained about, our A/C was barely functioning to keep the room cool. Also, we could not get a refrigerator which is ridiculous. Why every room doesn’t come with a refrigerator is beyond me. EVERY room should have a refrigerator, especially given the fact that they do not let people have bottled water. So if I pay for bottled water and soda, which we did, I would like to have refrigerator to put it in. They shouldn’t be schlepping refrigerators from room to room like they do. We arrived early on Saturday, asked for one, and we were told to keep calling. What is that about??? And even though we kept calling, not one was available, and by Sunday we were basically told they were all used. Ugh. This needs to be addressed.

The rooms themselves are just in need of a serious makeover, which was no surprise to us. I know you don’t spend a lot of time in the room, but even little things like working AC, updated linens/beds/pillows, and decent channels on the TV would be helpful.

I will say the maid service was excellent. No matter what time we got up, we’d return to a very clean room.

Food- As far as food, the grilled chicken on the au natural side is excellent as were the late night hamburgers. The reggae café was iffy….the one day they ran out of everything and I could see other guests were annoyed. I don’t get how they run out of everything???

At dinner, they served lobster on the last day, which was delicious. The main dishes they served, like roast pork, turkey and duck, were excellent. The rest of the offered food was average. The pasta bar was good but there was only one person working it and the wait was long. It was difficult to get reservations at the restaurants, but we did manage to get in one night to the Italian restaurant.

I do wish this resort would offer 24 hour room service, but honestly, I don’t see that happening at this kind of resort. It would be nice at night if they at least offered food 24 hours a day. They only do late night food from 12-2 am, which is late. However, at a resort where people are dancing and drinking all night, food should be cooked and offered late into the night, with more of a variety besides just hamburgers and fries. It seems like they could have a better system, maybe offer premade sandwiches, salsa and chips and other munchies that would not require much work.

Alcohol – H2 does have lots of it…I will say that.  My biggest complaint is that I was VERY disappointed when they ran out of dry champagne (which is the only thing I drink) on Wednesday night and then they replaced their brut champagne with sweet spumante, which was so sweet it tasted like apple cider. It was awful. And there was no other choice. No brut offering whatsoever. In addition, they ran out of the top shelf vodka, which my husband drinks, so there wasn’t a big choice for him either. Honestly, at that point, I would have been willing to pay extra to get my brut champagne or his top shelf vodka, but we were kind of stuck with what they had.

The resort needs to plan better and at least be cognizant of what kinds of liquor they are replacing with what. You can’t replace a dry wine with a sweet one and expect people not to notice. Same with the vodka. It is really poor business practice and leaves people with a bad taste in their mouths (no pun intended). People understand if you run out for the day, but when it continues for the next two days of your vacation, that is unacceptable.

Beach/Watersports/Pool –
We LOVE the H2 beach. It is seriously relaxing and clean. The beach chairs, however, are terrible. They are hard. They pop up when you site on them. There are absolutely no pads. It is just a hot mess. I know they must take a beating but seriously, when people are flying thousands of miles to lie on a beach, please have decent beach chairs! I would even be willing to rent a decent lounge chair so I’d be comfortable. They also could use more floats because people use them as pads for their chairs, so they can be hard to get. We broke down and bought a raft in the store; it was great they sold them.

The only other thing that I would say is that I personally found it annoying that H2 puts up with the constant barrage of people on boats (from other resorts) coming over to stare/gawk at the people on the beach. It is entirely unacceptable and annoying to the guests. I am not sure how they could better control this activity. Perhaps put signs out in the water or move the rope line out further. Also, I didn’t like the fisherman who sat on their boat on the A/N side, again gawking or hollering out to people.

The watersports area/people seemed wonderful. There is a full array of activities from small boats to paddleboards to kayaks. We did go out on the Snorkel/Cave Catamaran cruise. Although it was too crowded for our tastes, the people who ran it were very, very nice and it was simply beautiful. I would highly recommend that you take the cruise in that it is so gorgeous!

As far as the pool and hot tub, they seemed fine. The A/N pool was kind of dirty the last day, so we didn’t really stay very long. Without a doubt, the A/N pool bar needs more bartenders. It is overcrowded and it can be difficult to get your drink. I felt sorry for the hardworking staff who struggled to keep up with the overwhelming amount of guests. The pool entertainment was great; they play music and keep the party going strong.

Grounds keeping – I just wanted to mention this briefly because I really think they do such a nice job keeping the resort looking beautiful.

In conclusion, we love Jamaica and the relaxation it has to offer, but like I said, we are kind of on the fence about returning to H2. We love H2’s fun and free spirit vibe…It is very cool and special experience. This property has so much to offer, with its fun activities and au natural amenities, but management could seriously improve what is going on with this property.

Room Tip: If I were to stay here, I'd definitely recommend a second level ocean view room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hedonism II? Share your experiences!