“Great trip!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Swept Away

Save Saved
You added Couples Swept Away to your Saves list
Couples Swept Away
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | PO Box 3077, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 91 hotels in Negril
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great trip!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just returned yesterday from Couples Swept Away, October 6. We were only able to vacation for four nights and it was very nice. This resort is for BEACH lovers, which I am not, but ABSOLUTELY ENJOYED this beach and the water . . it was great. I don't ever remember spending that much time in the ocean. This is not a resort if you are looking for large pools.

The staff is amazing, friendly, smiling, and all have a great sense of humor. Winston at the beach bar, was amazing and joyous!! Jeffrey and Cooper at the watersports area, private boat rental, one to three hour cruise (Jeffrey was our captain) . .worth every extra cent !!! I can't say enough about the employees and the resort is clean, even though the resort is aged. The pool areas will need some maintenance very soon. You cannot go to this resort and want glamor . . but if you want a real Caribbean atmosphere, this is great. The food at Feathers and all venues was very good. The Steel Band performance was another pleasant surprise as was the beach bonfire . .. .great vocalist!!!

The beach vendors are ALWAYS annoying at any resort, but Couples tries their best to keep them away . .. at a distance.

We didn't mind the long transfer time; great way to see parts of the island. I would return to Couples Swept Away. I would recommend that the resort expand their check-in area; only two or three desks available for service and that can be a problem.

Thanks so much!!!

Room Tip: Garden Verandah Rooms were fine, noisy, very noisy, locted in the buildings furthest from the beach...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

3,527 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

First time away without kids, and to Jamaica. Being as such, we did expect more nightly entertainment, music, and nightlife overall. Found people ended up in there rooms after 9pm, which led to more loud noisy sections.Wishing more music poolside, and maybe section on the beachside. Just to liven it up. Re:The vendors; kinda timed the exiting out of the ocean, just so you did not get bugged. Getting called all day does Kill the "chill vibe". Staff at the bars " Kurt" made it a enjoyable experience. Scuba crew, Chris', and Brian made our vacation. Our first time was a very memorable time thanks to them, and there joking gave us lots of smiles. Keep it up guys!
Our atrium suite 2220 was perfect. So is 2227/2228. 2 nd floor is awesome, Very Private. Tree frogs are crazy( bring some ear plugs) sounds very sci- fi. Grounds are mature, and unreal. Food at lemon grass was our favorite. Food was fantastic overall. Overall we did enjoy our stay, but found it too relaxed for us.

Room Tip: 2227/2228 atrium on second floors, or 2220. Very nice for privacy, and you are at the tree tops.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Arrived at the resort and check in was smooth. Our room was a beach verandah and while nice, there wasn't a lot of privacy. Also, it is very small. Unfortunately, between the red eye flight and a touch of the stomach flu, I was wiped out. I slept for a few hours and managed to get up and eat dinner because I found out it was lobster night. I was able to eat a few bites of lobster. My husband managed to get the stomach flu after eating lunch the next day.

Our refrigerator wasn't the greatest and when I opened it, a bottle of tonic water fell out. Our cleaning person had just left our room. So I summoned her and she acted put out that she had to clean up the broken glass...its not like I did it on purpose.
The next morning, I called the front desk and asked if some bottled water could be delivered to our room so that my husband would not get dehydrated. It took over 2 hours for it to be delivered. I explained that my husband was ill, but that didn't seem to make an impression.

Also, went to exchange beach towels at a time when they should have been open and ended up taking almost 40 minutes to exchange 2 beach towels.

My husband wasn't happy when we got there and he found out, that unless he had his Advanced Open Diving Certification, he would be limited to one dive a day. Since he has been diving for over 30 years...he was surprised that this change was not noted on the website. Of course, for additional $$$$, he could have completed the course there. And had not been sick, he probably would have. As it was he ended up scuba diving only once, We have been to other Couple's resorts and this was the first time we heard about it. The main reason, we come to Jamaica is for the convenience of scuba diving for him.

Overall, the food was average. Breakfast was pretty much the same fare every day, which got old quickly. One thing we noticed that was missing, was the scrambled eggs. Never saw scrambled eggs during our entire visit. Can't really comment on the drinks, because I only had about 3 drinks the whole week.

The beach vendors walking the beach, also got old quickly, I know there isn't much Couples can do about them. We did enjoy the hot tub that we found near our block of rooms.

Overall, my husband felt "Swept Away" is too spread out. We never made it to Sports Area across the street. Also, we were not given "internet access" until I specifically asked about it.

Also, we had other issues but I won't get into those. All and all, we were disappointed in the overall vacation especially after reading all the reviews. We have been to Couple's Negril twice and San Souci once and we felt Swept Away did not sweep us away

Room Tip: Beware, if you choose anything but top floor, you will hear people walking loudly and chairs scrapin...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I travel south 4 times a year to many, many resorts in Mexico, Cuba and Dominican - this is by far our favourite. It is exactly what we were looking for..... calm, peaceful, amazing beach, great service, awesome food and a fantastic "island vibe". We have found in Mexico that many of the resorts are impersonal and the staff "assuming". It was refreshing to visit a resort where staff were attentive and genuine. We were delighted with the no tip policy and all the free excursions. This was a huge savings. As I read the review below, commenting on rainy weather I guess we were lucky as we were at CSA last week Sept 21
-28 and we had hot sunny weather (except for a magnificent thunderstorm one night that provided us with an evenings entertainment while sitting at Margaritaville."), We did not notice any construction other than some rooms being painted. We were in building 12 with an partial ocean view veranda suite. We loved our trip and are anxious to return, but we do find Jamaica more expensive than other locations so it may be awhile before we get a good price.

Room Tip: We liked our partial ocean view veranda room. It was on the 3rd floor offering good ocean views and...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I've been to CSA for my honeymoon in Sept'03 & it was the best vacay in my life. I'm now in my late 30's and I only get 1 trip like this every 10yrs. I normally take camping trips yearly so I've been waiting in excitement forever to return back to Couple Swept Away in Nov. 2013. I've kept up reading all the reviews throughout the years & things sound the same for this resort. Of course I do remember the room ( atrium 1121) we stayed @ was awesome 1st floor set back in the 3rd row next to the palms & It was perfect. We heard the entertainment nightly and it put us to sleep after long days of activities. We never walked the beach ( but this year we will ) and All the amenities were great and we took a day excursion trip to Mayfield falls and it made our vacation seem like we were right @ home. The service was excellent in some restaurants and very poor with some noticeable attitude from some employees in other areas on the resort. The Steel drum band was great. The vendor didn't bother us very entertaining & the beach was the best.
All in all we loved it with some bumps but nothing bad enough to ruin our honeymoon.
When we went in 2003 the new section of property was just beginning construction and it was alittle annoying all the noise but we stayed on the other side of the resort so no problem back then, but I heard that there was construction going on right now and I'm wondering if anyone knows what location on the property they are working on and for how long? Did CSA remodel or finish any room updates on the property yet? Based on my experience from 10 years ago I would return in a heart beat
Excited to return and I'll report back in about month when I get back
Thanks info tripadvisors

• Stayed September 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Well, I posted this review on the Couples message board, but I don't think they wanted a negative comment on there. There are some really good things about this resort, and I guess overall my stay thus far has been decent. It has rained A LOT! The problem is that they are currently under a major renovation. We were never told, and had to find out the hard way. The first two days the construction noise was minimal, and barely noticeable. Well today the jack-hammering started and the peace and quiet left. There is no escaping the noise any where in the resort!

I spoke to Karen, the general manager, and she seemed generally annoyed. I went to the main lobby to share my concern and there were already four other couples waiting to do the same. Management could learn some tips from their staff on how to treat their guests. I'll post another review in four days when we leave.

Room Tip: Ocean view verrandah on 2 or 3 floor, close to the beach and still private enough. No privacy on the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Couples Swept A... M, Operations Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your posting and observations, our rooms have been under renovations since August as we are re-doing the bathroom in all our 3 story buildings. However the jack hammering part of the renovation is presently being done in only one building of our 30 buildings on property and this takes about 3 days to complete.
We really appreciate your understanding as we try to facilitate these upgrades. It was also good to hear that our General Manager saw you today and you told her that things were better. Again thanks for your patience and understanding as we go through these upgrades in order to enhance the overall experience.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here for Christmas and New Year 2012: the place works on the ultra all inclusive vibe made popular in the eighties. It just about retains this status. The water sports/ boating facilities are second to non, with tuition and and daily extensive activities.

Some of the common areas need updating and the pools, with the exception of the exercise pool, across the road, which is part of the sports complex, could be bigger.

Notwithstanding, this is Jamaica at its best with beach bars, jerk chicken, cocktails, and ......a fabulous stretch of the Caribbean sea!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!