“Nick and Karens first time here” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Nick and Karens first time here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Wow what a first trip ,
We went to celebrate our 50th birthdays and were not disappointed,
The staff V friendly and were always asking if we were enjoying our holiday, The concierge team assisted us several times and were BRILL , We had breakfast in the palms all the staff were gr8 (Meletia was the omelette Queen)
We used all the restaurants and found the service and food excellent but particularly liked the feathers .
We had a garden verandah suite which was amongst beautiful tropical plants , the room was lovely.
The beach where we spent most of our time was fantastic , plenty of sunbeds, palm trees and hammocks AMAZING
We made good use of the kayaks and sail boats from the sports centre .
The entertainment we saw was gr8 especially the steel band .
The one point i'd make is don't take Jamaican $ just take US $ as its all priced in US $.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (994)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

To start, we had booked a room at Couples Sans Souci for this week, but two days before we were to leave, our travel agent informed us that CSS would be undergoing some major renovations on their Sunset Beach. We booked our trip through Allinclusiveoutlet.com and Linda, our travel agent, was so great getting us switched to CSA on such short notice. Also, thanks to Couples for letting us switch. No extra charge. It quickly turned into a totally different vacation then what I was expecting, but I was really excited, we had never visited the Negril side of the island. Twice at CTI and one visit to Sandals in Montego Bay.
My husband an I had already discussed a room upgrade, and when we arrived to check in, they said we could do that, and use our resort credits to help cover the difference! Yay!! The young man who checked us in seemed so confused. He kept typing on his computer, using the phone, getting up from the desk and disappearing. It was 'odd' and very slow. Finally, we were checked in but told the room wasn't ready yet, and we should 'come back and check' in a few hours. Made the most of it. Walked around and checked out the resort and their gorgeous beach!!! After a few hours, it was pouring rain so we headed back up to the lobby. We were soaked and the lobby was PACKED with new arrivals, no one waiting at the concierge desk, so we inquired about our room. He old us that we would have to wait in line and talk to front desk. Luckily for us, a manager was walking by and must have taken pity on us. In two minutes she had our room #, keys, welcome packet. I wish I would have gotten her name. Truly above and beyond the call of duty.
Right away, I loved the room. A ground floor beach front verandah. The design was very Caribbean. Clean. Very nice view. Huge verandah. Very good air conditioning. Comphy bed. We settled in and let the lazy days roll by.
The good is just good. When it's done right, you barely notice. Drink service at all of the bars was good. Meals were good. Bon fire was good. Water sports was good. My husband took us out on the Hobie Cat three times. We tried out the paddle boards. We took the evening Catamaran cruise twice, they took us down the coast of 7 mile beach, past the famous Ricks, to a small cave where we all jumped in beautiful emerald water and swam through. Rum punch flowed freely and the music was loud. Made for a great time. We arrived back at the resort just in time for the gorgeous sunset. Pools, beach, grounds. All great! Everyone was in a good mood and a very chill atmosphere.
Now, for the bad. And it was all issues that could have been so easily fixed. My main complaint is the mini bar. Three days in a row. List gone. Mini bar not filled. We called. We went to the lobby to get supplies ourselves, we talked to management. No progress. Finally on Friday, I went and stood in the lobby and got a little loud until it got done. I HATED having to do that. Very upsetting. There was also an incident where a sing along was scheduled at nine. When we showed up at about 9:15 about 8 guests there told us that the piano player had just left because he had another gig? We went across the hall to the casino. No staff there. Also, across the street at the sports area. Ping pong equipment was broken. No chalk for the pool cues. Croquet equipment thrown around and broken.
Okay, not that I blame the resort at all for this, but please be prepared for these 'sand fleas' or 'no see ems'. Tiny white bugs that by the time you nice them, it's too late. I have about 100 or more bites. All over my body. All very itchy. I did get some Off from the This n That shop, but by the the damage was done. This is the one thing I wish I would have known about and prevented. Miserable.
All of that being said, it was still a great vacation. We were in a beautiful location, with nothing to do except whatever we wanted to do. We probably won't return to Couples again. So many places in the Caribbean to visit and give our money to, going to keep exploring.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This was our first trip to Couples Swept Away and an all-inclusive. We had a wonderful time and we really enjoyed the resort. All the staff were always nice and friendly. The food was better than we expected, except we did not care for Lemongrass., I don't know if that is because it's a Thai restaurant or if the food lacked quality compared to the other restaurants. We ate lunch at Seagrapes several times, sweet potato chips are excellent and one of our favorites and the smoothies at the veggie bar were always good. We stayed on the side of the resort near the pool with the swim up bar and so we did ALOT of walking back and forth across the resort. Not a bad thing, because the exercise was good for us but sometimes we had to walk back to the room for something and then right back again across the resort to do water sports, eat, etc.

The biggest con we experienced was our room was next to the road and I'm a light sleeper. I took ear plugs but could still hear the traffic and did not sleep very good while we were there.

We would definately go back.

West Seneca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed at CSA at the end of July and we had an absolutely wonderful time. The resort is older but it is in very good shape. The staff is the crowning jewel of this resort....I don't know how they do it , but the staff is phenomenal...they cannot do enough for you ...outstanding food , drinks and so much fun in the evenings ...we loved the musical entertainment every night . It is so hard to go back to reality after 1 week in paradise ! The food was so amazing that we each gained about 10 pounds ! Best beach ever !

Room Tip: We really like the greathouse verandah suite ...it's a convenient location and near everything...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Let me start with this was our 10th trip to a Couples property and our third jewel in the Couples ring. We have previously been to Couples Sans Souci and Couples Negril, with the bulk of our trips to Couples Negril. So please forgive some of the comparisons. And I like to get the bad stuff out of the way first.

The Bad.

Service – I think that overall the service was ok, but compared to other Couples resorts and trips for us we could qualify it as bad. There were several standouts, Avious at The Palm, Jason on the beach with flag service, Toni-Ann at Feathers were all amazing, but it ends there.
Let me start with check in – it started out very smoothly, we arrived at the property by 12:30 so I was prepared if our room was not ready. We had booked a beachfront verandah and had requested a first floor, when we checked in they told us that there was a 2nd floor ready, but if we were willing to wait a couple of hours then we could get a first floor. We agreed to wait, when we came back 2.5 hours later to check in we were told, oh sorry we gave that room to someone else and all we have for you is a 2nd floor. In the end it worked out great, it was a great room and we loved it, BUT to have waited for 2.5 hours when we could have been unpacked and on the beach, was disappointing, because we didn’t have to wait that long.

I had several occasions to speak with the concierge, to make reservations for dinner, the cat cruise, etc. To say that they were rude would be an exaggeration, but not friendly, courteous or even remotely helpful would be dead on.

The bar staff would really rather be somewhere else. On two days when I went to the bar the bartenders were actually rude.

For the most part the overall feeling, to us, of the staff was a lack of interest in their jobs. I do not expect for everyone to be at my beck and call and to be bouncing with joy because I am there, but I do expect courtesy and the between the lobby personnel and the bar staff we did not get that.

The Good.

The resort – is beautiful! The grounds are green, tropical and very well tended. Although very spread out (this is after years of going to Couples Negril) at night it is lovely to wander the paths after dinner.

Our room – was great. I really like the layout, the bathroom (it was the older style, but I did get a peak at a renovated one and they are wonderful) is so much better than CN. We had a corner room so there was a lot of windows and light. I love the wood trim and the white finishing’s, the overall Caribbean feel of the room. And although this should be in The Great category, the verandah is soooo wonderful.

The Great, Spectacular and why we will be back.

The beach, the beach, the beach, the beach oh and did I mention the BEACH? As wonderful as the beach at Couples Negril is, the beach at Swept Away is that much better. There always seems to be a wonderful breeze blowing down near the water. Just seeing the endless stretches of beach is amazing. The water is clear, clam and goes forever.

The food – as good as the food at CN is, the food is better at Swept Away. I really don’t have a favorite, I loved Feathers, The Palm, Patios, Seagrapes, didn’t eat at Lemongrass. The daily fish specials were always wonderful. The lion fish at Feathers was killer. The fish tacos at Seagrapes were so good. The snapper at the Cabana for lunch was good. The shrimp pizza at Patois was amazing. I could go on and on, but I won’t just leave it at the food was outstanding.
Although I am not a sports person, the sports complex is really great. The yoga classes were wonderful, especially the one on the beach.

The sunsets from Swept Away and the beach are truly amazing.

And the beachfront room overlooking the beach…..we really liked the beach.
We will go back, but it will be a while we want to try Barbados, go back to Sans Souci againg and home CN.

Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just getting settled after returning from our first trip to CSA. We hate coming back to reality after spending so much time in the crystal clear blue water. That being said I have seen some of the following things mentioned before and am not trying to upset anyone or say our opinion is the right one. This post is just our feelings and observations from this trip.

This was our first trip to CSA. We has been to CN twice, the last time being last year and CSS three years ago so this was not our first time at Couples so we felt we knew what to expect.

We flew in on AirTran from Chicago Midway on a non-stop flight. First time for a non-stop and loved it but not the long drive home when we had to return. We arrived a few minutes early and were ready for some serious beach time and a few (Many) rum based drinks.

We booked Club MoBay for arrival and departure. The representative met us on the ramp as promised and she was very friendly and helpful. She checked our paperwork and we proceeded to the fast track immigration line. We went right through then to the luggage carousel where waited for maybe 5 minutes for our bags. Then on to customs where we again breezed right through. (We need to keep Club MoBay a Secret so it does not get crowded. :o) We had scheduled TimAir and she took us to their desk, then to the Couples Lounge to check in. We really did not use the Club MoBay arrival lounge since we almost immediately went out to our short flight to Negril. We were delayed about 20 minutes but it was due to weather and nothing TimAir could control.

Took a short cab ride to CSA from the Negril Aerodrome and we very excited to be back at Couples. We did the Trading Places last year and went to CSA so we had a general idea of the layout. We walked into the lobby and stood there for a minute or two. An employee walked by and asked if we were checking in and we said yes. He said he would be back and to go to the front desk. No welcome, glad your back or anything. He came back with two cold towels and asked if we wanted some champagne and we said yes. We went to the front desk to check in and were again asked if we were checking in. I filled out the paperwork and started the short process but again not a welcome, glad your here or anything. A complete opposite of our three previous trips.

Once we finished checking in we were told to wait in the lobby and a bellhop would come get our bags. He arrived and I showed him the paperwork listing the room we were in and we were on our way. No talking and information from him during the walk to our room. We were used to the bellhop filling us in on things while going to the room.

We got to the room and the view was great. We had booked a Beach Front Veranda Suite and were lucky enough to get a first floor room. Unless you live on a boat I don't see how you could get a room closer to the water. Very beautiful sunsets from our patio. The room was what we expect when we go to Couples. As some have said maybe some of the rooms need a freshening up but we are in the tropics and things do wear out. We do not want or expect the shiny marble, polished concrete and those things. We like the tropical feel of Couples. I have read posts about the lighting in the bathrooms and on this I must agree. They are very dark and I even had trouble shaving. I would hate to be a women and try to put makeup on. We have never had an issue with the hairdryers. This room was the exception. My wife has short hair and it took forever to dry her hair.

We did the pre-registration and had the same issue as others have mentioned with the mini-bar. It was not stocked. I called and was told they would try and fill it. They eventually did. On the pre-registration I asked them to just stock diet soda as we would not drink the regular. There was no diet when it was stocked. I marked the diet soda the first several days and finally gave up because we never got one bottle of diet.

Changed into our suits and headed out to find our friends we were meeting there. Had a few drinks, retreated into the great water then dinner. The food was as good or better than we expected.

I forgot about being able to order a continental breakfast for the room but remembered the Palms was listed as having the continental breakfast from 5:30am until 7:30am so I went down to get some coffee and rolls only to be disappointed. We only had one packet of coffee in the room and usually had two or three. As I was walking in I was told they were closed. I tried to explain the website and information in the room said they served a continental breakfast during those hours. I was again told in a get out of here tone they were closed. Not a good way to start our first full day.

During our first several days we noticed a HUGE difference in the attitude and friendliness of the staff. Almost every employee we encountered seemed to have the attitude they did not want to be there. In our past experiences the staff would always speak to you and ask how you were. We did not have that happen. Even the roving photographers would look away. It got to the point I would make sure I spoke to every employee we passed so they would have to talk.

We were closest to the Bamboo Bar while on the beach and would go there for our drinks. We rarely used the flag service for drinks as we were close to the bar. When I would walk up to get a drink the usual response was a "what do you want"? At the other resorts it was a much more friendly reaction. This really shocked me as it was so out of the ordinary for a Couples Resort. One of the rudest persons we met was the bartender named Judy at the Bamboo Bar. I think I saw her smile one time during our week there. There were two highlights at that bar. Both were Trainees. One was named Jason and the other was Jodiann. They were always friendly and outgoing just like we remember.

I have read how some people say you get what your give and we totally agree. We always made sure we said please and thank you. Nothing wring with being polite and friendly. The staff are people too and not slaves to the guests.

Being a beach front resort I could not believe how they ran out of clean towels anywhere from 2:30PM to 4:00PM. If the swim-up bar are was out you had to walk all the way to the other end of the resort to see if they had any which they were almost always out of towels also. That being said we saw many towels just left on the beach for the employees to pick up. One day we saw the Water Sports guys picking up probably close to 20 towels in the area by our room. Come on people. Is it to hard to drop your towels off where they go? While on that general subject I could not believe how people just tossed their trash down anywhere. One day I was getting our chairs and someone had evidently not liked the pizza or was full and just tossed the remainder on the sand. Another day someone left their plate, basket and half an order of fries all over one the the chairs. While walking to dinner one evening someone had just set their tall glass on the sidewalk. The only reason I saw it was it was by a light. NOT a smart thing to do when many people walk barefoot or in thin sandals or flip flops. I would hate to step on the broken glass and have my vacation ruined because someone was too lazy to put their glass in an appropriate location.

I decided to try scuba for the first time. I was a little apprehensive based on some of the posts I've seen. I usually only get a chance to swim while at Couples. I thought I was a decent swimmer but I guess I was wrong. The swim test is 8 lengths (4 laps) of the pool by the scuba shop. Well I was not as good of a swimmer as I thought I was because I did not make it. (I won't say how far I did go) I will say the instructor did try to put me at ease and was very encouraging. He told me to come back and try again and take my time. It seemed like I had a friend there instead of an instructor watching me. I did not get his name and he was not there the next day. The following day we were leaving breakfast and I saw him. I went over to talk to him and before I could say anything he called me by name and asked how I was doing. I asked him what his name was and he told me. I just want to say thank you to Anthony for your help. You made me feel very comfortable and I will try it next time.

We took some school supplies for the school. The employee at the front desk half halfheartedly said thanks and asked what room we were in. Before we always received a nice thank you. Well later when we got back to our room there was a bottle of wine and a thank you note from Couples. This was WAY more than we wanted or expected. Thank you Couple CSA.

The repeaters dinner was great. I don't know how the food could have been any better. The food is always great and it surprises me how they seem to to always take it up a notch or two for this dinner. We had Cleopatra who is in charge of the food and beverage areas at CSA at our table. She is a very sweet lady. We talked to her afterwards and she really listened to our issues. She also passes things on to her employees. We had a waiter named Avious (AKA Trouble) who was great. We mentioned this to her among other things. The next day Avious found us on our patio and stopped to talk. Cleopatra had told him what we had to say and he stopped to thank us.

Some other employees who were great are Mickesha who was a Trainee in housekeeping, Adrianne at the piano bar, Jermaine who is a waiter at Patois and Toniann at Feathers. They were all very outgoing and extremely helpful.

Speaking of Feathers it is a great restaurant. The food and service were outstanding. Patois and Palms also had very good food. We did not go to Lemon Grass so I can't comment on that. We had heard so much about the Banana Stuffed French Toast and Breakfast Pizza at Patios. The rave reviews did not lie. They were both delicious and we had them twice during our stay.

We actually stayed up long enough to go to the piano bar and see Ultimate Chocolate. He was great as mentioned. With him was a gentleman who called himself the Wedding Singer. I think his name is Tino. If I am wrong I apologize. He was a lot of fun, tried to get everyone involved. He also has a great voice.

We took the bus back to the airport and checked in with AirTran. I have never seen the line so short. We walked right up to an agent and checked in the went to the Club MoBay desk and were escorted through security. Again I have never seen the line so short. We really did not save much time but it was still worth it because we have waited in long lines before. After getting through we went to the Club MoBay lounge. It was very nice with a relaxed atmosphere and a nice selection of food and drinks. We will definitely use it again.

I'm sorry this is such a long review but I wanted to try and be thorough.

As this was our fourth trip to Couples I feel we know a little of what to expect and at first we did not get that at CSA. By the middle of our trip it did improve. I'm not saying we will not go back to CSA however, if this was our first trip I am not sure we would be in such a hurry to go back as we always are. We still love Couples and had already booked Barbados for next year before we went to CSA.

I hope this did not offended anyone as that was not the point. Just our feelings.

Tim & Janet

Room Tip: Book a beach front veranda suite. The view is amazing.
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Swept Away for a week this August. We have been to Couples Sans Souci in Ocho Rios twice and love it there. We loved Swept Away too but definitely made a mistake by staying in the Garden Verandah Suites. The noise was terrible! I had read other reviews saying that the noise was bad in these rooms but other reviewers said it wasn't so bad so I decided to give it a try. Big mistake! These rooms really are right by the road and you will hear the noise of the traffic starting at about 5:30am and it keeps going all day and all night! We woke one night/morning at 3am to music so loud (coming from a car PARKED on the road outside) that our room was shaking! We tried to move to another room but the staff said the resort was full (I am really not sure this was true). We would have gladly paid anything to get away from the road! Other than that, the resort was beautiful, the staff extremely friendly, weather was perfect, food was wonderful and the beach was amazing. Sadly, we did get bad steak our last night at Feathers(it tasted off but we thought it was maybe the seasoning we weren't used to!) and returned home with an ecoli infection, but I guess that can happen anywhere you go.

Room Tip: Do whatever you have to do to get a room away from the road! Do not choose one of the Garden Veranda...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!