“Very Nice” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at CSA then 5 at Sandals and ended with a few days up on the cliffs. Wanted to get a feel for the differences and decide which is best to book again.
Couples Swept Away was on the best stretch of beach by far! Water was clear and the beach wide. No seaweed or grass in this area. There were plenty of chairs and trees for shade. The floaters on each chair - excellent! Water sports were great. Take $5-10 with you on the Catamaran though as the operators are not CSA staff and they count on tips.
Beach bars made good drinks and had good selections- ask for the good stuff by name if thats what you want though.
The check in was a little chaotic and the concierge was never friendly- thankfully we only dealt with them a couple of times during the stay. Overall the service was outstanding. The staff are all so friendly and really make you feel at home there quickly. Housekeeping great. Can't complain about anything with the room or the service.
Food- only okay. I have to admit to being a food snob and living in a city with top tier chefs. I think the food at CSA was bland or sometimes over salted. The Lemongrass was the worst. Feathers prob the best. Breakfasts were good. I don't mind buffet for breakfast but despise them for dinner.
I will add that this is not a place for friends or sisters of same-sex couples! This place has a specific target and that is heterosexual couples. We (2 women) didn't feel discriminated against or anything but we were asked a dozen times where our husbands were. I also watched 5 couples take a sailing lesson on the beach and then the instructor told the "ladies" to relax for 15 minutes while the "captains" all went into the water for part two of the lesson. Seriously? I wondered if any of the "ladies" were offended or if CSA just attracts people who respond favorably to this kind of misogynistic crap. (Women in Jamaica don't drive or sail??)
Nightlife ok. Decent live music every night at 9:00 I think.
If same sex couples were more welcomed and the food were better then I'd go back to CSA without a doubt. These are my issues though. If these things don't bother you then this is your place. Friendly, clean, laid back and killer beach.
I am happy to answer any specific questions or things not addressed in my review.

Room Tip: Beach Front ground level. We were in building 44. It was perfect to walk right off of our porch to t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This was only our second experience with an all inclusive. Our first trip was to the Mayan Riveria and was phenomenal. So when we arrived here, I had all these expectations of our first trip. The first day I was afraid I would be disappointed, but by day two...I was hooked. This place is fantastic.

Arrival at airport.
You are first greeted by couples staff in a lounge where you are offered a drink. We don't drink, but we were able to take advantage of the clean restrooms in the lounge.

Van ride to the resort.
This was the worst part of the trip for me. I am a thrill seeker and love adventure, but the van driver scared the crap out of me. They drive on the wrong side of the road here, which was very strange for me, but I quickly got used to that. What I couldn't get used too was the way people drive here. I was really worried that we would get hit by another car. Other resort vans would pass us with oncoming traffic nearby. But thank God, we made it...I was secretly wishing I had taken a drink back at the airport...probably would have calmed my nerves a bit.

Arrival at resort.
When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and a nice cool cloth to wipe our face with. Check in was a snap and we were in up room in less than 15 minutes.

Room conditions
Once we arrived to our room, we noticed immediately the heat and humidity. I thought i would be in trouble here because i like a very cool room to sleep in. The windows had wooden slats that you could open and let the breeze in, or that you could close and run the AC. Ours stayed shut the whole week with the AC and fan running. I was able to get it cold enough in our room my wife had to ask the front desk for an additional blanket. Did have a few ants in our room, and other small flying bugs...but you are in the jungle. They are everywhere on the island. We expected this to a degree and it wasn't a terrible problem. The Mosquitos are very bad at night. Bring bug spray.

Mini bar
My one complaint here other than the van ride. We are not drinkers. The mini bar in the room is stocked with juices, coca cola, coca cola light (which is much better than diet coke) and of course red stripe beer. You can also request additional drinks at no charge, but you are only allowed one coca cola, and one coca cola light per day. 4 beers a day, 1 soda. That kinda sucked for us, but if you a drinker, you get free beers delivered to your room daily

Pools and beach activities
This is what I was bummed about when I got here. The pools are rather small compared to the one at the Mexico resort. We spent most of our time in Mexico in the pool. I have never been fond of swimming in the ocean, so when we arrived, I thought to myself..."this kinda sucks, I will be bored out of my mind". It didn't take long for that feeling to go away. As a matter of fact, we never set one foot in either pool. We spent most of our time on the beach, in the ocean, or doing one of the many free water sport activities.

I was completely amazed at the free stuff to do on the beach. Kayaks, paddle boards, Hobie Cats, skiing, snorkeling, paddle boats, wind surfing, as well as volleyball, corn hole, and horseshoes. We tried most of the water sport stuff except skiing and wind surfing. The thing we loved the most was the Hobie cat. A Hobie cat is a 14' sailing vessel that you can learn to operate in 15 minutes. They offer free lessons with an instructor, then a ride along with instructor...them you can take it out as much as you like by yourself. We sailed this twice and had a blast. The snorkeling is also much better than when we went to Mexico. 12-20 deep waters and you can see bottom. Amazing. I would also recommend the catamaran cruise ( which is also free). This is a 2-2 1/2 hour cruise complete with entertainment and swimming.

The food was very good. We tried a little bit of everything, mainly hitting the buffet. One note, if you want to try Feathers...bring some dress pants. No shorts or jeans allowed, we couldn't go because I packed jeans instead of slacks. But, since it was our 20th anniversary, we decided to do the dinner on the beach. It cost an extra $170, but it was totally worth it. A very unique and wonderful experience. The dinner consisted of a four course meal that was very well prepared. Best meal of the trip. Steak was fork tender and everyone was cooked to perfection. Lemongrass was also good. I had never tried Thai food before, but it was really really good.

Shopping
The shopping here was a bit different. They had sidewalk venders come in daily, never the same two during the week. That was pretty neat, we bought some wood carvings and a painting. There is also a shopping excursion to Times Square, which is nothing more than a strip mall with 18 shops, not all of which are managed by local people. The real treat was going to the local craft market. We rented a taxi for the short ride (5 minutes) up the road. He dropped us off for one hour. This was really like a flea market, with locals selling wood carvings, paintings, clothing, and trinkets. Beware though...if you have never experienced this type of shopping you can get hoodwinked. The locals are very aggressive asking you to come into their shop...not in a bad way, but very high pressure. They all pretty much have the same sorts of things, and they will haggle price. Don't be afraid to say no and walk away. They are a poor but hard working people here, so I really enjoyed shopping there. It was cool to see a bit of the local flair. We actually spent more money here than at Times Square.

Staff
The staff here were fantastic. The water sport guys remembered our names and would stop and talk to us on the beach. That really impressed me. Also very friendly and accommodating.

Misc observations
The wifi here was kinda spotty, but Hey mon...you on vacation mon...put down the phone and enjoy the scenery!

Also, it was really cool that there were several photographers on site taking pictures. Since we leave in the morning, we are about to go see how they all turned out. I will update that later.

The negatives...the van ride getting here was about the worst part of it. After you arrive...it is all what you make of it!

Overall. This was a great trip. We leave here tomorrow and I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: We stayed in an atrium suite which did not have TV (which we loved) and was a short walk to the beac...
Brick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great resort. Food was excellent. Service staff was extremely nice and helpful. Drink quality was best we have had at an all inclusive. Very quiet and beach is amazing. Only drawback is it takes about 1 1/2 hrs by bus to get to resort from Montego Bay Airport.

• Stayed November 2012
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at CSA from 5/25-5/30. The entire trip was excellent. The trip to/from the airport was well organized and went by quickly. We stayed in an Ocean Verandah room (ocean view, patio, tv in room). I must say that the rooms are slightly dated and could probably stand a bit of updating, but when you're in paradise, you tend to overlook the small stuff. It was clean and bed was comfy and the air functioned properly, so we were good. The bartenders were wonderful (shout out to Ricardo!), service was great, we met great friendly people, the water was beautiful, and the food was EXCELLENT (which is a big deal for hubby and me when on vacation)! I recommend trying all of the restuarants as they were all very good. There was never a problem with us getting beach chairs or towels. The catamaran cruise was nice. The beach vendors were always around, but there's a nice way to say 'thanks but no thanks' and they get it. It was helpful to have them nearby, though, when we were finally ready to buy a few things.

We like to explore a bit and tend to not return to the same vacation destination repeatedly, but I can see us returning here in a couple of years for a guaranteed overall good time...and for great food! There are no worries in Jamaica!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

In response to the person who wrote under the title, "Csa", my husband and I have only been to CSA twice (the last time was two years ago) bur we talk about it daily. Having traveled extensively (internationally) and having owned my own travel business, i would consider myself a veteran in the industry. Still i was not prepared for CSA. Not sure if it is because of the excellent staff who have made us feel each time as though we were returning home (to CSA) after a long voyage. Perhaps it is the "no stress" and relaxing atmosphere. It could also be that i feel that every wish i have has already been anticipated and the staff if waiting to make sure it is fulfilled. We have requested the same room each time and will do so again and again. It is one of those whete the wall facing the beach has only screens and shutters. I love it! My first night of first stay i could hear the crackle of the fire from the bon fire on the beach while lying in bed. Awesome! And how great to not have television. I can watch TV at home. With so much to do at CSA i never missed TV. I have learned to carry my own WiFi wherever i go as i work everyday. Couples Swept Away has become the standard to which i compare all. Customer service, relaxing and comfortable atmosphere, food and beverages, amenities and hospitality are excellent. Cant wait to return. And by the way, Webba and Derrick and the young men at the martini bar - you are the best.

• Stayed October 2012
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed at CSA from 5/31/13 – 6/9/13 and cannot even begin to describe how perfect the entire trip was! We got married at the resort on the beach and we were accompanied by 22 of our closest friends and family. Even though it is a Couples only resort CSA worked with us to accommodate our fairly large group and everyone just had an amazing time!
We booked the vacation using Beach Bum Vacation and Jaimi Smith was our travel agent. I really cannot recommend then enough! Jaimi helped us with everything from the very beginning to the end and she ensured that everyone in our group was taken care of. She was also able to get us a great group rate so I highly encourage you to book through Beach Bum Vacations especially if you are getting married at CSA.
The best thing about CSA is the people. Everyone is so nice and the staff really goes out of their way to speak to you and ensure you are having a great time! Especially nice were Tamara who is with CSA entertainment and Seymour who is with the water sports group. The staff just gives off that great Jamaican attitude that is truly contagious.
This is a true Caribbean resort. Don’t expect brand new facilities or sparkling gold everywhere you look, this is truly an authentic experience and was exactly what we were looking for when we visited Jamaica. We stayed in a beach front room on the older side of the resort. It had a very large porch and open windows that you can shut out with the large blinds. The a/c was plenty to keep the room cool, but I’m fairly certain it ran nonstop for the 9 days we were there.
The food was really good everywhere we went. Cannot miss the banana stuffed French toast at Patois! Also, Feather’s is a can’t miss and I would recommend making reservations there as many times as you can. I loved that the Cabana grill stayed open late so you could curb those late night cravings for Mahi sandwiches… I had the best Martini’s I ever had at the Martini bar on the upper level of the Palms, don’t miss that either!
There is an endless supply of things to do at the resort. We went diving several times, I wake boarded a few times, stand up paddle boards, Hobi cat, Bocci ball, ate, drank…if you get bored here then something is wrong with you. The drinks were fantastic at the beach bar. I loved pretty much all of the drinks that had Rum Cream in them. Snake Eyes, Hummingbird, and Nutty Colda were my go-to’s.
All in all, pretty much a perfect trip and one of the best weeks of my life. We plan to go back for an anniversary trip next year so I cannot wait to reunite with all of the my friends I made who were CSA staff members!

Room Tip: Beachfront or Atrium
Paterson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I married my beautiful bride here in September ... The resort is very clean and is not over the top allowing you to really enjoy Jamaica! We stayed in a Premier Beachfront Suite which had NO TV but we didn't mind... The staff at Couples are the nicest most accomodating people that I have ever met at any resort in any country. Our wedding was absolutely amazing in every aspect: setting, photos, food, entertainment is all top notch. Some of the entertainers(singers, dancers) are very talented. I just can't say enough ebaout this resort!

Short Story: I pre-ordered wedding menu for 4 (our best man and woman were with us) at Feathers (5 Star)... I chose salmon, which they unfortuantly ran out of so we were offered Filet Mignon instead (better anyway)... We were so full after the main course that we couldn't possibly eat dessert. I guess the staff felt that we were a little upset with the salmon not being available because within the 10 minuted it took us to get back to our room, there was a note there inviting us to a private candelight dinner on the beach for the trouble (totally not needed as dinner was amazing). Well it rained the following night so dinner on the beach was out... Couples wouldn't have it! they arranged about 200 candles in my room with a table set up, music and our very own waiter and watres. When the night was over, I was so pleased that I offered the two of them $100 USD and they WOULDN'T TAKE IT!!!!

PRO's: People, food, service, beach, ocean and pretty much everyhting in between

CON's: NONE

Room Tip: Book beachfront!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!