“Third time to Swept Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Swept Away

Save Saved
You added Couples Swept Away to your Saves list
Couples Swept Away
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | PO Box 3077, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #19 of 91 hotels in Negril
warrington
“Third time to Swept Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed for two weeks on 16/5/13 third time to this resort 4th visit to couples. Yet again we had a fantastic holiday. Lovely to see Ricardo at Couples Nigril on our day exchange. We were disappointed this year with the noise from the jet skies whilst sunbathing on the beautiful beach.
Ever thing was just the same as our previous visits staff, Food. all excellent. It is nice to come home and be greeted by familiar faces who remember you from previous visits. We have been home for just one week and decided to book Couples Tower Isle for March 2014.May see all our friend in 2015. Thank you Couples for another great holiday

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

3,332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (719)
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to go to Couples after talking to some friends and reading all the reviews... Boy were our expectations met! The ride to the hotel, although a little long had great views and the time flew by! We were met with cold towels and some champagne... We were a little early so we began discovering the grounds and had lunch! The staff were sooo polite! The room was excellent. We stayed in the great veranda and perfect...Air was cold, room was clean, never used the balcony but it was nice. The food was outstanding! The beaches were white and the sand silky smooth... We used the kayaks, went snorkeling, took the glass bottom boat and the catamaran trip. We loved the steel drum band!!! We really loved the fact that couples is adult only! Peaceful! Relaxing! We did the couples massage and it was wonderful! We used the spa and pool over at the athletic center as it seemed no one was ever there late in the evening,... The smoothie bar was the bomb! Wish we had stayed for a few more days! I would advise taking the tour of the grounds the first day where they show you all around, provide you the operating hours, and provide a lot of info about the local trees, flora, food, etc... Would we go back? In a heartbeat!!!

Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went to Swept Away several times before Couples took it over. We loved it and always said we'd go back. Now we're finally going to go. We leave Saturday morning and come back the following Sunday.

Reading the reviews, I've seen names that I recognize from our trips years ago. The people who love this place love it for the same reasons my wife and I loved it so many years ago: Awesome beach, great food, excellent service and, above all, wonderful people, many of whom are still working there. We always felt pampered at Swept Away and we're looking forward to having that feeling again.

The petty gripes I've seen in a few--actually very few--reviews don't concern me. It's Jamaica--the power isn't always reliable, people are poor and will try to make a little money by trying to sell you something on the beach, and yes, it rains for a little while every day. Go back to your room with your husband or wife, consider that you are at one of the most romantic places on earth, and see if you can think of something to do for an hour or so while God waters all of that beautiful greenery outside.

Yes, CSA is an hour and a half from the airport. That's about three Red Stripes for me. When you get where you're going, you can buy a T-shirt that says "I Survived the Road to Negril' on it. Guess what? When you booked your trip, CSA was still an hour and a half from the airport. They haven't moved it. Personally, I like that hour-and-a-half drive; I get to see a lot of countryside along the coast road, catch up on the latest Reggae music, enjoy a few Red Stripes while visiting with the driver and take comfort in the deterrent value the bus ride offers. Whiney crybabies too up tight to deal with a 90 minute bus ride will book something in Montego Bay and I won't have to listen to them snivel for a week.

If I ever had a complaint, it would be the tree frogs. They sing to you all night long, thousands of them! So many times I've wished I had a good high-quality recording of that sound! Why in the world hasn't somebody at Couples thought to make a DVD available of the tree frogs singing, the wind blowing in the palms and the surf in the background? Maybe it's so we have to come back sooner to hear it again.

This is a place for couples who want great food, a great, relaxing beach vacation and opportunities for pampering and romance everywhere. If you're thin-skinned, stay in Britain. If you want to party all night, go to Cozumel. If you can't relax and just enjoy being at a great resort, stay at the office.

Saturday can't come soon enough.

Room Tip: We've stayed in everything and we've never had a bad room. There is some noise from the roa...
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Four of us stayed at Swept Away from 6/3 to 6/10 and had Atrium Suites. This was our second visit to Swept Away. During our first visit in November of 2005, my husband and I had a Beachfront Verandah Suite. The resort is still, in our opinion, the best All-Inclusive in Negril. We have stayed at three others.

What we like about Couples Swept Away and why we stayed there a second time:

1. The variety of choices in the restaurants. With a total of six restaurants, Swept Away offers more in food options. All six of the restaurants are very good. We especially enjoy Patois Patio, Seagrape Cafe (directly on the beach with some tables actually in the sand serving healthy AND absolutely delicious food), Feathers and Lemongrass. During our first visit, we ran out of time and did not get an opportunity to try Lemongrass. We made reservations this time and truly enjoyed it. I had the yellow curry steamed snapper. It was excellent! Feathers is always a treat. I appreciate the way that the management and staff really work to make this a "special occasion" and dining event. You feel special from the moment you walk in the door and the food is very good. Well done!

2. The beach. This resort sits on one of the best stretches of beach in Jamaica. The water is calm and the beach is wide and level. The view is amazing. I noticed on this trip that we had a little easier time finding a seat in the shade and were even able to secure palapas a couple of days, once in the morning around 10:00 and one afternoon after a rain shower.

3. Security. The security team is always visible and works hard to ensure that no one comes onto the resort who is not a visitor.

4. The Staff Members. I can honestly say that as much as we enjoyed Swept Away the first time, we enjoyed it more on this trip. The staff did a superb job. I did not find one staff member who was not trying and who was not pleasant and helpful. A special thanks to OShane at the beach bar along with Colleen, Doreen, Terela(sp?) and all the other wonderful staff members who work hard to make this resort run like the well-oiled customer service machine that it is. It is a relatively large resort, so I can appreciate all that goes into making the experience what it is.

5. The front desk. The check-in process was easy and painless. We were very pleased with the rooms we received. We even had a pretty decent view of the ocean from an Atrium Suite which I was totally not expecting. I have noticed other reviewers saying that they changed rooms on the second day. We were completely pleased with our rooms on the first time out.

6. The entertainment. We think the entertainment was even better this time than on our previous trip. We had the opportunity to see the wonderful singer at the beach bonfire again on this trip, Shayam Moses. He is always magical. We also really enjoyed the shows in The Palms. For entertainment, you are going to have a difficult time finding any better consistently good entertainment every night at any All-Inclusive in Negril than at Swept Away.

7. Water Sports Option. We did the catamaran trip to The Cliffs and the snorkel trip. There were several other water activities that we meant to try, but we got too relaxed on the beach. The staff members who did the snorkel trip were great. I wish I could remember their names, but the captain who was Rasta was a great leader and very enjoyable.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. Maybe mention to people with a first floor room that if you go out to the beach through your verandah door using the provided key and have the deadbolt on the front door, your room will not be cleaned. Now, I realize that this is common sense. But, it just never occurred to us.

2. Our suite had one of the remodeled bathrooms that includes a very nice large shower and no tub. Supply an absorbent bath rug to absorb water from the shower. Water tended to pool in the floor over near the commode.

3. Maybe it's just me, but I have stayed at three of the four properties owned by the Couples Resorts organization. In two of three resorts, I have found that the lighting can be an issue. It can be too dark in the rooms even with all of the available lighting on. I did not experience this issue at Couples Negril. Perhaps this is because their decor is a little brighter without the darker wood that makes the rooms so special at Swept Away and at Idle Awhile. I love the look of the rooms. Just makes it difficult to see.

We love Swept Away and would recommend it to anyone. It is a very natural looking resort with a true Jamaican feel, great food and a hard-working group of staff members committed to providing guests with an unforgettable experience. Don't go expecting perfection and you will have the vacation of a lifetime. It is a truly special resort on a perfect piece of beachfront in Negril which boasts one of the best, if not the very best, beach on the island of Jamaica. Everytime!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I went to Couples Swept Away for our Honeymoon. We saw that Couples had several properties in Jamaica and did decide on Swept Away for the price. We could not have been happier. The staff was fantastic - no matter where you were or who you passed they always were pleasant, saying hello or asking how you day was. The food was terrific, with so much variety! I loved that they gave you a schedule of all the different events going on through the day that you could stop by and participate in - as well as always having some sort of entertainment at night. I really can not complain at all ! It is a great place for couples or a group of friends - the atmosphere is laid back and fun - we met so many great people! I loved all the activities (Catamaran, Glass Bottom Boat Tour, etc.) that was included - you dont find that much included at the all - inclusive resort for the price! If you are looking to get away and Jamaica is the place you are going I would recommend Couples - any of their locations! Definitly would go back!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in didn't have a TV or walls (they were more like shutters) really it wasn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I guess the bottom line with any review is; would you go back? And, would you recommend the resort to friends and family?

Answer, Yes and Yes, If I thought they would enjoy the experience.

The Couples brand is really more about a laid back style of romance. The quality of the food is overall 3.5 -4 stars, the property is well maintained and very casual, and the service is not in your face or overly attentive, if you need something just ask…otherwise the assumption is “no problem”. This approach suits us quite well. I’ve said this before and I will say it again…if you need someone standing over you filling your water glass with every sip you take, lavish pools and glitzy furnishings, this property and Couples should not be your first choice. We’ve been to two of the 4 Couples properties in Jamaica (CN and CSA) and while the two resorts are a little different the quality of the rooms, grounds, beach, food and service are very similar. CN is a smaller property which we feel creates a bit more of an intimate intimate/boutique feel. More on that later and which is our preference 

About us:
Somewhat adventurous, very laid back couple in our mid 40’s (been married forever); day and night party atmosphere is SOOO not our style. Most days we spend in the water, snorkeling or just walking down and the beach. Even though we choose AI vacations in Jamaica, we always get off property…the AI thing is more of a convenience. Most evenings with a cocktail or three or to the Piano bar to watch others sing (trust me no one wants to hear us sing). Up early and in bed by 11:30. Lived in Europe for 6 years and been to lots of places. We’ve visited Negril 3 times in the last two years.

Airport:
Tuesday 2:00 PM arrival was easy…made it to the Couples lounge 35 minutes after arrival. Transportation to and from the resort was excellent. Stuart was our driver from MBJ to CSA and what a character. The drive was about 1 hour and 45 minutes, but we made a pit stop at the 1 hour mark for beer and nature’s call. The Couples lounge is comfy and the staff was well organized. Check-in, tag your bags and grab a Red Stripe. I think our wait was maybe 15 minutes.

Check-in and our room:
We arrived to the resort at about 4:30PM on Tuesday, 3 June. No problems with check-in…easy. We were given an Atrium Suite in the older section of the resort (room 2119). It was a first floor room which kind of bummed us out at first because we had requested a second floor…But we gave it a try and turned out we actually liked the first floor with its access in and out of the veranda door, also had a small view of the ocean. No problems with our room exactly as we expected; simple, tasteful, clean, large veranda with a hammock and built-in sofa and table. Everything worked just fine especially the AC. Did we have ants in our room? Yes, but that was largely no problem with the exception of a single “ants in the pants” episode. It took us a couple of days to get acclimated and even longer to be able to navigate back to our Atrium Suite…quite a maze of pathways.

The Weather in June:
Having been to Jamaica in the months of March and December…The heat and humidity in June was somewhat oppressive at times especially for those of us who live in an “alpine desert”; rained about 3-4 afternoons of our 9 day stay can’t fault the resort for that, the rain never lasted long and frankly was a nice break. Mosquito’s were a bit of a problem, they were undeterred by the “Off” we brought 

Food:
Overall the food was exactly as expected very good but certainly not ultra fine dining.
The meal we had at Feathers was probably our favorite (the AC helped). Sea Grapes was our spot of choice for lunch; the menu is small, but everything was tasty. The Pizza and Banana Stuffed French toast at Patois is as good as advertised, I actually had Pizza for dinner twice. The Cabana grill is really just OK, if you want jerk or patties, go down the beach lots of other options that are much better. Lemongrass was also quite good, not quite as good as Feathers…I think our experience at Lemongrass was tempered a bit by the heat, I really thought I was going to melt while eating at Lemongrass.

SPA:
Had a 50 minute couple’s massage which was quite relaxing, just long enough to get really relaxed but not long enough to completely fall asleep. Not sure we would spend the $210 for a couples massage if we didn’t have the resort credit though.

The Beach:
It’s AWESOME! White powdery sand, water is calm, clear and warm. Maybe the best stretch of beach in Long Bay.

The Grounds:
Well maintained and by the looks of the number of flower pictures my wife took I suppose she enjoyed the grounds as well, quite a beautiful property. Tree frogs at night! Yes, I can see how it would bother some, but not us…no problems sleeping. We brought some ear plugs after reading reviews but never opened the box.

Water sports:
Really excellent, we snorkeled every other day visited Bahamas, Mexico and the Cuba site, staff is entertaining and engaging. Catamaran Cruise was just as fun this time, this is a must do!

Pools:
Looked OK, but never got in one, why would you when you have that beach.

Bars:
Don’t worry about top-shelf liquor, it’s available everywhere. Beer choice is limited...I’m a bit of a beer snob and brew/keg my own craft beers so, if I can drink and enjoy Red Stripe in Jamaica, so can you. The bar staff in general are very good, quite entertaining and very personable. Beach bars in the day are awesome and we preferred the Martini bar in the evening, try a Key Lime Martini. Never set foot at the Pool bar, just not our scene.

Entertainment:
The entertainment offered at Couples Resorts doesn’t generally appeal to us other than the Steele Drum Band and the Piano Bar which was pretty fun the two nights we went. We are huge reggae fans and just don’t understand why anyone would choose Jamaica and want to hear talented artists do covers of R & B classics.

Some of the staff that stood out:
Tashell, Simone, and Reynaud at the beach bar (south end of the property), had a blast with them on a rainy afternoon.
Our housekeeper Althea did an excellent job…unseen all week.
Ruel at the Martini bar made some pretty good Key Lime Martinis.
All of the Water Sports guys and gals…they were all really, really great!

Favorite off resort activities:
You must do the “Love Bus Pub Crawl”, even though it is not affiliated with the resort in anyway. Look it up on Trip Advisor and do it! Such a good time, we did it twice. Lenbert is a beautiful man who will make sure you have a great time and visit some bars and (in one case a home), that only the relatively experienced Negril traveler will make it to…I especially loved our last stop…the “Firewater Love Nest” on the cliffs.

Walk the beach (during the day) visit the small bars, shops and restaurants as you go.

So, CN or CSA?
Really tough for me, but my wife definitely preferred the slightly more intimate (size wise) CN. For me it’s a bit more of a wash, only because I like the action on the beach. I liked being able to walk down the beach for a beer or lunch, and interacting with the vendors was not an issue for me. The accommodations, service and food are all very similar. CSA definitely has larger veranda’s and greater variation in room types, with some rooms being literally on the beach, this is a huge draw for many, but not for us. Neither really is better just a little different, so try them both and decide for yourself…I guess if we had to choose one, perhaps CN is just a little better fit for us.

Overall, we had a great time and would have no reservations about recommending CSA or returning in the future.

Room Tip: We prefered being in the older section of the property. Atrium Suites offer a bit more privacy, man...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I pulled up I was blown away. When I entered our garden view room I couldn't believe it. Everything was awesome! The people were so nice. The only thing that sucked was the vendors trying to sell you different things. Even that didn't bother me very much. The food was good at all the restaurants. Drinks were extra strong which was good. Anyone complaining is just not being understanding of the way things are down there. I'm not a rich person at all so everything was over the top in my opinion. Will be visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!