“Still the best All-Inclusive in Negril” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Swept Away

Save Saved
You added Couples Swept Away to your Saves list
Couples Swept Away
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | PO Box 3077, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Nashville, Tennessee
“Still the best All-Inclusive in Negril”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Four of us stayed at Swept Away from 6/3 to 6/10 and had Atrium Suites. This was our second visit to Swept Away. During our first visit in November of 2005, my husband and I had a Beachfront Verandah Suite. The resort is still, in our opinion, the best All-Inclusive in Negril. We have stayed at three others.

What we like about Couples Swept Away and why we stayed there a second time:

1. The variety of choices in the restaurants. With a total of six restaurants, Swept Away offers more in food options. All six of the restaurants are very good. We especially enjoy Patois Patio, Seagrape Cafe (directly on the beach with some tables actually in the sand serving healthy AND absolutely delicious food), Feathers and Lemongrass. During our first visit, we ran out of time and did not get an opportunity to try Lemongrass. We made reservations this time and truly enjoyed it. I had the yellow curry steamed snapper. It was excellent! Feathers is always a treat. I appreciate the way that the management and staff really work to make this a "special occasion" and dining event. You feel special from the moment you walk in the door and the food is very good. Well done!

2. The beach. This resort sits on one of the best stretches of beach in Jamaica. The water is calm and the beach is wide and level. The view is amazing. I noticed on this trip that we had a little easier time finding a seat in the shade and were even able to secure palapas a couple of days, once in the morning around 10:00 and one afternoon after a rain shower.

3. Security. The security team is always visible and works hard to ensure that no one comes onto the resort who is not a visitor.

4. The Staff Members. I can honestly say that as much as we enjoyed Swept Away the first time, we enjoyed it more on this trip. The staff did a superb job. I did not find one staff member who was not trying and who was not pleasant and helpful. A special thanks to OShane at the beach bar along with Colleen, Doreen, Terela(sp?) and all the other wonderful staff members who work hard to make this resort run like the well-oiled customer service machine that it is. It is a relatively large resort, so I can appreciate all that goes into making the experience what it is.

5. The front desk. The check-in process was easy and painless. We were very pleased with the rooms we received. We even had a pretty decent view of the ocean from an Atrium Suite which I was totally not expecting. I have noticed other reviewers saying that they changed rooms on the second day. We were completely pleased with our rooms on the first time out.

6. The entertainment. We think the entertainment was even better this time than on our previous trip. We had the opportunity to see the wonderful singer at the beach bonfire again on this trip, Shayam Moses. He is always magical. We also really enjoyed the shows in The Palms. For entertainment, you are going to have a difficult time finding any better consistently good entertainment every night at any All-Inclusive in Negril than at Swept Away.

7. Water Sports Option. We did the catamaran trip to The Cliffs and the snorkel trip. There were several other water activities that we meant to try, but we got too relaxed on the beach. The staff members who did the snorkel trip were great. I wish I could remember their names, but the captain who was Rasta was a great leader and very enjoyable.

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. Maybe mention to people with a first floor room that if you go out to the beach through your verandah door using the provided key and have the deadbolt on the front door, your room will not be cleaned. Now, I realize that this is common sense. But, it just never occurred to us.

2. Our suite had one of the remodeled bathrooms that includes a very nice large shower and no tub. Supply an absorbent bath rug to absorb water from the shower. Water tended to pool in the floor over near the commode.

3. Maybe it's just me, but I have stayed at three of the four properties owned by the Couples Resorts organization. In two of three resorts, I have found that the lighting can be an issue. It can be too dark in the rooms even with all of the available lighting on. I did not experience this issue at Couples Negril. Perhaps this is because their decor is a little brighter without the darker wood that makes the rooms so special at Swept Away and at Idle Awhile. I love the look of the rooms. Just makes it difficult to see.

We love Swept Away and would recommend it to anyone. It is a very natural looking resort with a true Jamaican feel, great food and a hard-working group of staff members committed to providing guests with an unforgettable experience. Don't go expecting perfection and you will have the vacation of a lifetime. It is a truly special resort on a perfect piece of beachfront in Negril which boasts one of the best, if not the very best, beach on the island of Jamaica. Everytime!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I went to Couples Swept Away for our Honeymoon. We saw that Couples had several properties in Jamaica and did decide on Swept Away for the price. We could not have been happier. The staff was fantastic - no matter where you were or who you passed they always were pleasant, saying hello or asking how you day was. The food was terrific, with so much variety! I loved that they gave you a schedule of all the different events going on through the day that you could stop by and participate in - as well as always having some sort of entertainment at night. I really can not complain at all ! It is a great place for couples or a group of friends - the atmosphere is laid back and fun - we met so many great people! I loved all the activities (Catamaran, Glass Bottom Boat Tour, etc.) that was included - you dont find that much included at the all - inclusive resort for the price! If you are looking to get away and Jamaica is the place you are going I would recommend Couples - any of their locations! Definitly would go back!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in didn't have a TV or walls (they were more like shutters) really it wasn...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I guess the bottom line with any review is; would you go back? And, would you recommend the resort to friends and family?

Answer, Yes and Yes, If I thought they would enjoy the experience.

The Couples brand is really more about a laid back style of romance. The quality of the food is overall 3.5 -4 stars, the property is well maintained and very casual, and the service is not in your face or overly attentive, if you need something just ask…otherwise the assumption is “no problem”. This approach suits us quite well. I’ve said this before and I will say it again…if you need someone standing over you filling your water glass with every sip you take, lavish pools and glitzy furnishings, this property and Couples should not be your first choice. We’ve been to two of the 4 Couples properties in Jamaica (CN and CSA) and while the two resorts are a little different the quality of the rooms, grounds, beach, food and service are very similar. CN is a smaller property which we feel creates a bit more of an intimate intimate/boutique feel. More on that later and which is our preference 

About us:
Somewhat adventurous, very laid back couple in our mid 40’s (been married forever); day and night party atmosphere is SOOO not our style. Most days we spend in the water, snorkeling or just walking down and the beach. Even though we choose AI vacations in Jamaica, we always get off property…the AI thing is more of a convenience. Most evenings with a cocktail or three or to the Piano bar to watch others sing (trust me no one wants to hear us sing). Up early and in bed by 11:30. Lived in Europe for 6 years and been to lots of places. We’ve visited Negril 3 times in the last two years.

Airport:
Tuesday 2:00 PM arrival was easy…made it to the Couples lounge 35 minutes after arrival. Transportation to and from the resort was excellent. Stuart was our driver from MBJ to CSA and what a character. The drive was about 1 hour and 45 minutes, but we made a pit stop at the 1 hour mark for beer and nature’s call. The Couples lounge is comfy and the staff was well organized. Check-in, tag your bags and grab a Red Stripe. I think our wait was maybe 15 minutes.

Check-in and our room:
We arrived to the resort at about 4:30PM on Tuesday, 3 June. No problems with check-in…easy. We were given an Atrium Suite in the older section of the resort (room 2119). It was a first floor room which kind of bummed us out at first because we had requested a second floor…But we gave it a try and turned out we actually liked the first floor with its access in and out of the veranda door, also had a small view of the ocean. No problems with our room exactly as we expected; simple, tasteful, clean, large veranda with a hammock and built-in sofa and table. Everything worked just fine especially the AC. Did we have ants in our room? Yes, but that was largely no problem with the exception of a single “ants in the pants” episode. It took us a couple of days to get acclimated and even longer to be able to navigate back to our Atrium Suite…quite a maze of pathways.

The Weather in June:
Having been to Jamaica in the months of March and December…The heat and humidity in June was somewhat oppressive at times especially for those of us who live in an “alpine desert”; rained about 3-4 afternoons of our 9 day stay can’t fault the resort for that, the rain never lasted long and frankly was a nice break. Mosquito’s were a bit of a problem, they were undeterred by the “Off” we brought 

Food:
Overall the food was exactly as expected very good but certainly not ultra fine dining.
The meal we had at Feathers was probably our favorite (the AC helped). Sea Grapes was our spot of choice for lunch; the menu is small, but everything was tasty. The Pizza and Banana Stuffed French toast at Patois is as good as advertised, I actually had Pizza for dinner twice. The Cabana grill is really just OK, if you want jerk or patties, go down the beach lots of other options that are much better. Lemongrass was also quite good, not quite as good as Feathers…I think our experience at Lemongrass was tempered a bit by the heat, I really thought I was going to melt while eating at Lemongrass.

SPA:
Had a 50 minute couple’s massage which was quite relaxing, just long enough to get really relaxed but not long enough to completely fall asleep. Not sure we would spend the $210 for a couples massage if we didn’t have the resort credit though.

The Beach:
It’s AWESOME! White powdery sand, water is calm, clear and warm. Maybe the best stretch of beach in Long Bay.

The Grounds:
Well maintained and by the looks of the number of flower pictures my wife took I suppose she enjoyed the grounds as well, quite a beautiful property. Tree frogs at night! Yes, I can see how it would bother some, but not us…no problems sleeping. We brought some ear plugs after reading reviews but never opened the box.

Water sports:
Really excellent, we snorkeled every other day visited Bahamas, Mexico and the Cuba site, staff is entertaining and engaging. Catamaran Cruise was just as fun this time, this is a must do!

Pools:
Looked OK, but never got in one, why would you when you have that beach.

Bars:
Don’t worry about top-shelf liquor, it’s available everywhere. Beer choice is limited...I’m a bit of a beer snob and brew/keg my own craft beers so, if I can drink and enjoy Red Stripe in Jamaica, so can you. The bar staff in general are very good, quite entertaining and very personable. Beach bars in the day are awesome and we preferred the Martini bar in the evening, try a Key Lime Martini. Never set foot at the Pool bar, just not our scene.

Entertainment:
The entertainment offered at Couples Resorts doesn’t generally appeal to us other than the Steele Drum Band and the Piano Bar which was pretty fun the two nights we went. We are huge reggae fans and just don’t understand why anyone would choose Jamaica and want to hear talented artists do covers of R & B classics.

Some of the staff that stood out:
Tashell, Simone, and Reynaud at the beach bar (south end of the property), had a blast with them on a rainy afternoon.
Our housekeeper Althea did an excellent job…unseen all week.
Ruel at the Martini bar made some pretty good Key Lime Martinis.
All of the Water Sports guys and gals…they were all really, really great!

Favorite off resort activities:
You must do the “Love Bus Pub Crawl”, even though it is not affiliated with the resort in anyway. Look it up on Trip Advisor and do it! Such a good time, we did it twice. Lenbert is a beautiful man who will make sure you have a great time and visit some bars and (in one case a home), that only the relatively experienced Negril traveler will make it to…I especially loved our last stop…the “Firewater Love Nest” on the cliffs.

Walk the beach (during the day) visit the small bars, shops and restaurants as you go.

So, CN or CSA?
Really tough for me, but my wife definitely preferred the slightly more intimate (size wise) CN. For me it’s a bit more of a wash, only because I like the action on the beach. I liked being able to walk down the beach for a beer or lunch, and interacting with the vendors was not an issue for me. The accommodations, service and food are all very similar. CSA definitely has larger veranda’s and greater variation in room types, with some rooms being literally on the beach, this is a huge draw for many, but not for us. Neither really is better just a little different, so try them both and decide for yourself…I guess if we had to choose one, perhaps CN is just a little better fit for us.

Overall, we had a great time and would have no reservations about recommending CSA or returning in the future.

Room Tip: We prefered being in the older section of the property. Atrium Suites offer a bit more privacy, man...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I pulled up I was blown away. When I entered our garden view room I couldn't believe it. Everything was awesome! The people were so nice. The only thing that sucked was the vendors trying to sell you different things. Even that didn't bother me very much. The food was good at all the restaurants. Drinks were extra strong which was good. Anyone complaining is just not being understanding of the way things are down there. I'm not a rich person at all so everything was over the top in my opinion. Will be visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013
charlotte nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

May I first say the people at this resort make it what it is.I love Jamaica this resort gets 8 out of 10 it has a lot of inclusions catamaran cruise,intro to scuba,and just a good all around ADULT fun time.Natasha at the beach bar is great ask her for her special!! Her smiles warms you just true and genuine.Kirk in the Palms buffet,Kimberly in the Beach sushi shack all are great people who want you to enjoy your vacation.The entertainment is second to none, always a good show or always live music nice touch.The resort tries very hard to keep it simple.But it just seemed t flow pretty smooooooth at all times.The bathrooms could use a full shower instead of the tub they have weird design.But overall pretty good clean well kept.Food is all inclusive I highly recommend Patios for breakfast,Beach grill for jerk chicken for lunch very yummy.And well if you want to be entertained the buffet,feathers if you want Fancy,And lemongrass for the romantic touch.Csa is no slouch in the drink department either.The martini bar 2nd floor of the buffet is the best for that.Csa does accomplish the romantic side of what the are trying to do.Its just nice to grab a float and lay in the calm ocean water on the beach or sit and talk to Natasha or the new week long friends your going to make.3 tips

1)When you leave for the airport make sure to wear your t-shirt and flip flops and put your bathing suit in your back pack and leave it with your luggage and take the early morning flight you will be glad you did and yes you will get your room by 3 pm.

2)When you get your cash for the trip take at least 100 1 dollar bills.I know its all inclusive but a dollar here and there is a nice gesture for good service and take some bug spray.And watch your belongings,at the pool area not from the workers but the other guest!!!

3) Most of all your on vacation be generous,kind,considerate,and relax and enjoy the adult atmosphere.If you are planning a wedding please shoot me a message I have some info for you that I would love to share.

Room Tip: Choose the 2nd floor if possible away from the road.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I have been to a few AI's and this one is by far the best we've tried. We stayed from 6-1 through 6-10-13. It is the people of CSA that make it great - ok, the food, drinks, unbelievable beach and activities help too - but everywhere the employees of CSA are happy to engage with you, laugh, smile, help in any way. While there you should try all the restaurants (5), make sure to see the steel band (wednesday night), do the sunset cruise, snorkel, do the friday night beach party, make friends (we met some great couples to party and hang out with), eat sweet potato chips and fish tacos at Seagrapes, plant your flag in the sand while sitting under your palapa so more drinks will be brought to you. If you're so inclined, take advantage of the great tennis lessons - like everything I listed above, they're included too (my wife did Zumba). To sum it up - go. We are going back in October, and cannot wait.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Garden Verandah Suite, my tip is to request a corner one - as it has so many windows...
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I won't repeat what everyone has already said, but here are some things that I wish I would have known to be prepared for. This review is Debbie Downer compared to the other reviews, but it was our honeymoon experience. Overall, we had fun, but there were definitely negatives.

Make sure you tip the person who puts the luggage into the bus at the airport, or else they become very intimidating and won't allow the bus to leave in our experience. Some people did not have their wallet handy and I honestly thought I was in danger by this man's demeanor of not being tipped.

They drive like crazy people. Close your eyes or avoid looking out the window if you scare easily.

Check in was pretty easy, I was worried what we were getting into after the airport and driving experience. They greeted us outside and had us check in with a glass of champagne and cold towel.

We went to our room, got ready, got dinner. The waitress at Patois was not very accommodating and did not want to answer any questions. Very small appetizer portions. Pizza was good.

Went back to the room, exhausted from the trip. Power goes out. It went out for TWO HOURS and we could not see one thing. I was freaking out because we are in a strange country, hearing strange voices outside, with no help from the front desk once we finally managed to find the phone. They had no advice, just said it would be back on soon. We were so tired, we just fell asleep, and woke up when the power did come back on. At this point, I'm thinking this is going to be a terrible trip and we're regretting our decision.

Next day, we go to the beach and see how NICE it is. The water is so pretty, you can take your rafts and float around. We start to think it isn't so bad, it's what our honeymoon is supposed to be. We order drinks (which taste strong but literally never make you feel a thing) and relax on the beach. It's starting to get good. We go back to the room in the afternoon and decide to take a little nap. All of a sudden, CONSTANT JACKHAMMERING right outside of our room. It won't stop. We call the front desk and they act like they don't know what we're talking about, but it should stop soon. It doesn't. We call again and they have us come to the front desk so we can switch rooms. They set us up to move rooms the next day, and even that was a hassle. The guys didn't show up to move our baggage when they were supposed to, so we're trapped in a room waiting for people instead of enjoying our vacation. They finally come, we move rooms, and they don't give us a new room key. We finally get the key, and it doesn't work. We have to walk back to the desk, they give us another new key, it doesn't work either. We are wondering why this would only happen to us. They send a maintenance guy so we have to wait around on him to show up, getting impatient because we are losing our vacation to these silly things that should not be happening.

About Wednesday (We arrived on Sunday) things started to calm down and we didn't have any other issues except for a lizard & tiny little bugs in our room. We started getting comfortable and meeting other people. The couples staying were all so nice & friendly. The staff on the other hand was hit and miss. Some were friendly, some were downright rude. Not the vibe I thought they would have.

Also, the only food that stood out to us was the meal they served us at our private dinner. Also, the pizza at Patois. Nothing else was anything to write home about. I was expecting much more from the seafood.

Beyond that, the activities that we did were pretty fun. Rick's Cafe was super crowded but still a good experience. We snorkeled, got a massage, went on Catamaran cruise, took out the paddle boat, etc.

Up in the air if we would go back again. It was a rocky beginning with very little help from the staff. I will say that the beach was beautiful, relaxing, and more than I thought it would be. It would have been nice if people would have put their cigarettes in ash trays instead of the sand, but that isn't the resort's fault. I still have Cigarette Man's, Ring Man's, Hat Man's, etc catchphrase stuck in my head because they NEVER stop trying to sell things on the beach by yelling out their "sales pitch" but they don't really come up and bother you. The musicians were wonderful to listen to, though.

To sum it up, it's a really beautiful place, but obviously has it's faults. Don't go into it with your expectations through the roof like we did. If you are realistic about it, you won't be let down.

Room Tip: Check for area construction upon arrival. A top floor room is a hike, but worth it because it's...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!