“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Norfolk UK
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at CSA from 9-20 Feb and had a wonderful holiday. This was our third trip, in 3 years, to Jamaica but our first to CSA. The night prior to flying out we stayed in the Aurora Hotel in Crawley on their Meet & Greet package (car is left at the hotel then brought to you at the airport on your rtn). it was £97 for the room and 2 weeks parking. This enabled us to start the holiday one day earlier and we had a lovely evening in Crawley.

I contemplated whether we should go for a private taxi (always done previously) or even take the plane from MJB to Negril, however, decided to go with the flow and use the Couples lounge and transport. So glad we did. Managed to get my shorts and flip flops on in the airport. The free red stripe in the lounge was very well received. They put tickets on your luggage and then get the baggage porters to take all of the luggage to the mini bus. You are expected to tip the porters around $1 a suitcase. There were 4 couples on the shuttle with 1 couple going to CN.

On arrival at CSA we were greeted with smiles, cold towels and sparkling wine. We were allocated a Garden Verandah room on the ground floor. I asked if we could have a top floor room which they said would be no problem (first example of the excellent service that we received). They gave us a corner room which was in touching distance of the atrium suites. We liked the rustic feel of the room and knew straight away that we were going to be extremely comfortable. Prior to travelling I was concerned with about the rooms and did indeed try to get upgraded to the Atrium suites (no availability). I took the advice of one of the reviewers on here to go and have a look at the room first then, if unhappy, ask them to change it. The maid and turndown service was great. We did not notice a lot of noise from the traffic. There was the safe, hair dryer, bathrobes, large dispensers of shampoo and body wash. I know the rooms are not brightly illuminated, however, we thought it looked rather cosy. The mini bar stocking was fantastic. We did pre book the mini bar and after being there a few hours they came to fill it up. We selected quite a few of the upgrade drinks on the order form (no extra charge). Although the gin was not Gordons it did suffice. They refilled your ice bucket daily.

We did not eat at sea grapes so cannot comment. We dined at lemongrass 3 times, feathers 2, patois patios 1 with the rest taken at the Palms. Our favourite was lemongrass with feathers coming a close 2nd. We enjoyed all our meals, and although they weren't Michelin star, I felt they were extremely good. I am not one for standing in queues at the food counter so was really pleased that the main buffet restaurant, at dinner, gave you the option of having al'a carte. We used this option every time at dinner at Palms and thought it was great. The house wine in Feathers was far superior than wine served in other areas (lemongrass did, at times, also serve the superior wine). We found the Cabana Grill great for our regular supply of Jerk chicken.

All the bars were great. I predominately drink lager and Southern Comfort (SC(not in the same glass)). How pleased was I when I discovered that SC was available in all of the bars. JD and Jim Beam were also. We loved the Martini bar for pre dinner drinks. My wife was introduced to Cherry Martinis which she loved. I have now had to invest in a cocktail shaker and cherry brandy. The Service for the vast majority of the time was exceptional. Your drink would be replaced before you reached the bottom. Fraser at the swim up bar was great as was Romaine at the bamboo bar. I thought the green flag drink service on the beach was a nice touch, as was the fruit kebabs and cold towels brought round, however, we tended to wander up to the bar ( this was the only exercise we had). Your room has two beach towels which you can change at any time of the day at either end of the resort; there are no cards involved and you don't have to do a one for one exchange. Although we were on a public beach, traders, musicians and other tourists were kept at arms length by the resort's security. They were very professional and always on the ball. The way that this was managed enabled residents at couples not to have to endure labelling with wristbands which I really appreciated. We did enjoy our walks up and down the 7 mIle beach.

I can't comment on the sports facilities as we didn't take advantage of any of them (shame on us). That said I was still very impressed at what was included. We did go on the Catarmaran cruise which we thoroughly enjoyed. This gave us a glimpse of Ricks Cafe which convinced me to pay a proper visit.

I mentioned to Susan that everyday seemed like Valentines day at CSA so wondered what (if anything) they would do to commemorate this romantic day. It started with breakfast at the Palms where a guitarist and Chellist performed a large repertoire of love songs. Susan loved the omelettes, coupled with the sparkling wine set the day off to a lovely start. After a couple of cocktails we walked down the beach for a mile or so until we came to Bourbon Beach where we had a few drinks before going onto the main road to get a taxi to Rick's Cafe. We went fairly early in the afternoon so were able to get a lovely table overlooking the small bay and diving. We had a light meal, although the drinks were quite expensive we had a great time. We got back to our room to witness the south lawn being transformed for a Valentines cocktail party. The party was fantastic; the band, food, drinks and decoration were all top notch and a great way to start the evening. From there we had dinner at Palms followed by the resident band (Exodus) and Mr Montana. They all are extremely talented musicians and always put on a good show. We danced the night away, again, to some lovely romantic music. After this we went to the bonfire on the beach (usually every Weds) with a duet singing some more lovely romantic songs. They put loungers all around the fire, provided a bar and sheets to keep you cosy.

We did go to the beach party, however, we just stayed to watch the reggae band. Queues seemed to long for the food so we didn't bother.

Ultimate chocolate in the Piano Bar was a real treat followed by the night club. We only went there the once and had a really wonderful time.

The only thing that grinded my gears was the reserving of the Palapas the night before. I don't tend to sleep much so I was usually the first on the beach (between 4.30 and 5.30 every morning bar one). I loved lying on the lounger reading my pad and watching the dawn break.
The majority of Palapas already had towels on them. We even saw people, when we were returning to our room in the evening, putting towels on them. I know there is an abundance of loungers and there is usually adequate shade to be found. It was just the audacity and lengths that certain people would go to to reserve loungers. I feel the management have quite a laid back attitude with this as they do with everything so do not blame them at all.

Couples is a very well run resort full of friendly employees who certainly gave us excellent service. Both Susan and I sat down and discussed all the pros and cons about the resort, there ware plenty of pros and no cons. We just couldn't fault CSA on anything. Well done and thank you for providing Susan and myself a very special holiday that we will never forget.

Room Tip: Although in the GVS we were extremely comfortable. Try and get a corner suite if available.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Feb 5 - 14, 2013

Arrival – met with a glass of champagne, cold towel and literally checked in and walking to our room in about 10 min.

Room – tropic rustic feel I absolutely loved. The maid service was great, she even thanked us for how clean and neat we were! Turn-down service was a nice touch, as well as the bathrobes, liquid bath soap and shampoo in the shower.

Pool – The pool and surrounding area aren’t big but we aren’t there for the pool so didn’t bother us a bit.

Beach – This is the #1 reason we go to Negril. The beach speaks for itself, I need not say anymore. What is nice is that if you choose not to let sand gravity take over, like I usually do, there are so many included activities you can partake in. We snorkeled, water-skied, took the catamaran cruise and they were all great.

Restaurants – we never had a bad meal and never had trouble getting reservations when we wanted them. We thought the food was excellent at all the options. I try to eat mostly vegan and was worried I would totally blow it on this trip. My fabulous Tripguy.com agent Mitch had arranged in advance for one of the Chef’s to meet with me upon arrival, however, in my sleep deprived, alcohol induced, extremely excited state of mind I totally forgot to remind then at check-in; my bad. However, there were so many delicious things to choose from I didn’t starve. I didn’t eat strictly vegan but I didn’t eat meat. I am confident they would have made accommodations for my diet had I addressed it.

Sports Center – we managed to walk over there and check it out. We were impressed and I kept saying I would like to go over and at least do some morning laps but it never happened. We were at the beach from 8 am to sunset every single day. (I did say it was the #1 reason we were therer!)

Service – all around the service was very good. Were some employees more friendly and talkative than others? Sure. Aren’t you more pleasant some days than others? They are all people too and you have no idea what is on their mind that day. The point is they all did their jobs well and provided me with a great vacation I am blessed enough to be able to take. WELL DONE to everyone!

With that being said we had one small complaint. Beach vendors didn’t bother us at all. A simple, “No thank you”, did the trick. What we were more bothered by were the CSA photographers. I think it is great that they are available to take pictures for those that want them taken. And I am sure they take great shots. However, we know they are available and if we wanted our picture taken we would ask. The first couple of times weren’t so bad, but every night at sunset and every night at dinner was annoying.

CSA is a beautiful relaxing place! We will definitely return. I will also use Tripguy.com for all our booking needs. They provide great response times to all my questions and the customer service is fabulous. We could not have asked for a better vacation. Keep up the good work.

chelmsford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We're not habitual moaners, honestly, so we'll restrict our comments to 6 good things and 6 not-so-good things about this resort.
GOOD:
1. Surroundings, beach, sea and exceptional mature gardens.
2.Staff were polite, helpful and good humoured. Room cleaning v.good and security staff alert and high-profile.
3.Feathers Rest. evening meals and Chilean wines were excellent.
4. All meals, including breakfasts at Patois Rest. were very good.
5. Range and quality of cocktails were as good as it gets. Well done bar staff!
6. Lots of activities available within the holiday package.
So.... onto the not-so-good, but we do have a little doubt our reservations in view of the universal satisfaction and loyalty expressed by a number of repeat guests. Or is it a case of us being the little boy in the tale of the emporers clothes?
Still we will press on with Not So Good:-
1. Beautiful gardens yes, but some urgent husbandry is needed to clear out the dead "wood" from large palms overanging the pathways.
2. Our room was so depressingly gloomy with few lights poorly located and low powered (even for low energy). Shame we love a read on the balcony and in bed.
3. The room telephone had a life of it's own and rang at random by day and especially night. Fault reported but unresolved throughout our stay.
4. The wines provided in the room and elsewhere (apart from Feathers) were Italian we believe and regretably all three ,red, white and rose, were truly awful.
5. Breakfasts in the Palms Rest. were marred by cold plates and nearly cold food. We have no doubts that good food was coming out from the kitchen cold on a daily basis.
Being as fair as possible, we must say this didn't seem a problem later in the day.
6. We felt there wasn't much live music during our stay other than the excellent buskers on the beach during the day. Perhaps we missed it, by going to bed too early?
Our conclusion:-
A good holiday venue with particular emphasis on things to do for more active guests. Regrettably, we have to say that although we enjoyed ourselves, it was not as slick an operation as we had expected from the brochures, friends who visited several years ago and the price. We hope management can accept this as constructive criticism and feel free to contact us on any point raised.
Oh, one more thing relating to our fellow guests; mainly American, Canadian and fellow Brits. Without exception, we found them all charming, good-humoured and a pleasure to mix with.

Room Tip: Rooms near the road subject to traffic noise day and night
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Couples Swept A... M, Manager at Couples Swept Away, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for choosing Couples Resorts and providing us with your constructive feedback. We are glad to know you enjoyed your holiday with us for the most part. However, we will take all of your negative points into consideration and strive to correct these issues. Management has already been notified of all your mishaps and begun proactively improving in each area mentioned.

We sincerely hope you return at some stage so we can rectify your first experience by replacing it with a brilliant one.

Best Regards,
CSA Management
kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This is a wonderful resort for tennis players of all levels up through Division 1 college skills.
The resident pros are excellent and include the 6th ranked Jamaican player. There are 10 courts (4 clay) and they are used heavily. You may book a lesson/hitting session with a pro for an hour each day. In addition there are Beginning/Intermediate/Advanced clinics and a round robin daily usually run by the visiting pro. You can attend a clinic, have a lesson/hitting session, and play the round robin every day. AND ALL THIS IS FREE WITH YOUR VACATION. The round robins seemed to be popular with guests over 50 and many were multiple repeat visitors. There are also Squash and Racketball clinics daily. It's just a wonderful place for those who want to have some physical activity on vacation.
To get to the resort itself, we stayed in an Oceanview Veranda room (on the advice of previous reviewers) and were very happy. As noted by others, the Beachfront suites have no glass in the front windows and the Gardenview rooms are right on the road. Refer to the map on the Couples Swept Away website to see where things are located
The food is very good (I couldn't call it gourmet but it's good) and the Patois restaurant makes a habit of artistic presentation as well as innovative menu ideas. We ate there frequently and enjoyed it every time. The Palms restaurant is more a buffet style with menu items available if desired.
Other reviewers have covered the beach and watersports and they are all right on.
I would mention that the laundry service offered is guaranteed to be 24 hour service but on one occasion I sent clothes in the morning and they were back the same evening - and well done. The charges are listed on the laundry sheet and are normal for a hotel/resort.
I would take some insect repellent as many people suffered a few mosquito bites.
The house wine was drinkable and they have premium liquors on hand. For almost everything you want, if they don't have it on hand they'll try to send someone after it.
Lots of British this last week.
In all, if you go, you'll probably go back.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

What more can I say that hasn't already been mentioned from other reviewers!!!!! We LOVED this place!!!! The staff was helpful and friendly. The Resort was Beautiful!!! I've been home a week now and I'm SO ready to go back again.

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Hotel: Not fancy, but nice and clean. Who needs fancy when you're at the beach?. We had a beachfront, 3rd floor room. Bed was a little hard, but you can ask room service for a pillow top to make it more comfortable. Everything in the room functioned properly; air conditioner, plumbing, t.v., phone, refrigerator, etc.. Turn down service was spotty, but that is something we did not care too much about. Room was cleaned daily. If we needed something, they showed up to our room pretty quickly. If you are not used to a very thin comforter, I would also recommend that you request a thicker one, or a couple of blankets.

Service: I know Jamaica is known for being happy, laid back, etc., but my opinion is that they are just "normal" people...Don't get me wrong-customer service, overrall, was very good at this hotel, and we certainly came across some very exceptional people like Tamika, who was recently hired as part of their "entertainment" staff, and Davian who brought us drinks on the beach. But not everyone was bright, cheery, smiling and saying 'no worries, mon'. They are normal people, some more happy and kind than others. They take their time a little more, too, but when you're on vacation you should not mind this...if you are in a hurry, than you are not REALLY on vacation.

Food: some of THE BEST food I've ever had at an all-inclusive. I've seen some people's reviews complain about how the food was not gourmet as much as they would have liked, but I think those people are being too picky. Presentation may not have been "fancy", but the food tasted great, and a few dishes were REALLY awesome, like what we had at Lemongrass and Feathers. We had excellent food at all of the restaurants, and the buffet items and selection were excellent as well.

Activities: We just hung out on the beach, drank, frollicked in the ocean, played volleyball and visited some of the shops, etc. down the coast from our hotel. We did get a massage at the hotel SPA, and Georgette gave an excellent deep-tissue massage. The SPA was not necessarily top-notch as far as amenitites, but it was nice. I also got reflexology at a spot right next door to our hotel at a place called Reggae Spa by a therapist named "Latoya". She was excellent, and I HIGHLY recommend her. They are a lot less expensive than the hotel SPA, and give just as good of service. They offer all kinds of massage including stone, facials, nail polishing and hair braiding, etc. I know there are tons of things to do through Couples hotel like a catamaran booze cruise, snorkel trips, scuba, fishing, etc., but we chose to hang out on the beach and drink all day. :) The workout room is fantastic-lots of treadmills, ellyptical machines, free weights and machines, and they had a great selection of classes available. I worked out, played raquetball, tennis...those amenitites were AWESOME. The workout room is outdoors, so you probably don't want to wait until full afternoon to get your sweat on. Running track is outdoors as well. Classes are indoors. They have trainers on site! Go get yourself a yummy smoothy after a hard workout! Loved this part of the property!!

Beach Environment: Laid back, some vendors walk by and ask if you want to buy something, but I did not find them invasive. They accept a "no thank you" without being offended. There are a few musicians that are singing off and on throughout the day, but I found it entertaining and perfect for the beach. Plenty of guys asking if you want to buy "stuff", one guy wears a shirt called "Bob the Baker". Too funny...There is security on the hotel beach property. They like to get your name and/or hotel room number if you cross over past the Couples territory to take a walk down the beach. The beach itself is beautiful and relatively clean. Plenty of chairs available, so no need to get out there at the crack of dawn unless you want a hut for shade. The ONLY thing I missed was good snorkeling. There aren't any reefs near the hotel, and there was nothing to look at. You have to book a snorkel trip with the hotel if you want to snorkel.

THE ONLY complaint I have is that there was a place down the coast that blared music EVERY night...all...night....long. I could even hear it through my ear plugs. It made for a few sleepless nights. I noticed that I could NOT hear the music when we were walking around the Couples property closer to the street side, only when we got close to the beach, so if you are in a room that is set back from the beach a little, it may not be a problem, but note that if you are in a beachfront room, you may have to deal with it. We will definitely go to Jamaica again, and we will definitely stay at a Couples resort. We absolutely loved our stay!

Room Tip: Wait until you arrive, then ask for an upgrade. Keep in mind the beach noise I wrote about..If your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

When we arrived in Jamaica, a shuttle bus took us from the airport to the resort. Along the way, we stopped at a little shop/shack to cool off with a rum punch. When we arrived at the resort we were greeted with friendly, smiling staff members. The grounds are well kept and the room are as well. Each ground room has it's own backyard deck area that offers access to the resort. The beds were really comfortable and the nightly turn-down service was a real treat! Each bar had a nice selection of drinks to order, and all of the restaurants served pretty decent food (our favorite was Lemongrass). The pools, the beach, the palm trees, it was just so tropical and relaxing. We did sneak off of the resort one day (which they don't recommend) but we were fine. It was cheaper than paying to go to Dunns River Falls through resort services.

One complaint I have is that I paid an extra $175 to have a private beach dinner for my husband's birthday one night. That night, it started to rain and there were lighting/thunder storms. We're from the west so we (I) was scared to sit out in the rain and eat dinner while lightening was firing above. I asked that we cancel our dinner, and they cancelled it, but we did NOT receive a refund. I fought it with the bank and filed a claim, but Couples Resort (Sherry) wouldn't budge or help me out in any way at all. It was very disappointing and left a sour taste in my mouth after such a fun trip.

Overall, I'd recommend Couples Swept Away, but be warned, they wont work with you in extenuating circumstances.

Room Tip: tropical, relaxing
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!