“Easy Going” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Swept Away

Save Saved
You added Couples Swept Away to your Saves list
Couples Swept Away
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd | PO Box 3077, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #18 of 91 Hotels in Negril
Lincoln
“Easy Going”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a fantastic time. Had everything you could ask for. Good service from friendly staff, martini bar, several restaurants, live entertainment, plenty of snorkeling, comfortable rooms, non stop food and drink, jet skiing, If you want an easy going, no decisions to make (except "do I eat lobster or steak tonight) kind of vacation, then go and enjoy yourself. We had 5 great days of sun and then Hurricane Sandy hit north and south of us. We still had a blast. Wish we were still there!

Room Tip: All rooms were nice, closer to the beach is nicer! We stayed in the Oceanview Veranda.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was our second time at CSA. Our first time was back in 2008. Still love the place - beautiful beach, great spot, and good food. But, unfortunately, our service was spotty this time. Some examples of this:

- a call from the front desk at 10:15 at night to verify our zip code.
- a loud bonfire takes place on wednesday night. when i called the front desk to ask when it would be over, i got three different answers. (turns out it is 11:30 p.m.)
- there weren't enough pamphlets to give out at a food demonstration and the staff was unable to make more
- we found a package of paper to roll joints left over in our room from previous occupants. we were pretty disgusted that housekeeping would leave this there. the response from the front desk was that they would simply talk to housekeeping.
- our balcony light didn't work. maintenance staff fixed it right away, but the next day, other staff came out to fix it unaware that it had been taken care of.
- front desk was understaffed at all times and there was always a wait
- spa was great, but a little more explanation from the spa desk on what to bring, the use of the relaxation pool, etc., would have been helpful.
- as others have mentioned, the fridge in our room wasn't stocked and we had to tell them daily what to put in it (this was not the case in 2008)
- room service would bang on our patio door and yell room service when arriving in the morning, rather than leaving it out on the porch
- as others have mentioned, it was difficult to find out daily activities. flyers posted around the resort were wrong.

Other notes:
- there were definitely more local people selling items on the beach this time. security did a good job of keeping them away, but they were more bothersome this time and one argued with a guard.
- we like the food, except for the buffet, but it just isn't our style. the resort could improve desserts. the menu at the cabana grill seemed to improve since 2008, but we didn't eat there this time. the menu at sea grapes could be changed more often.

Room Tip: In 2008, we had a first floor "Beachfront Verandah Suite," which was great. Right in the...
Chelsea, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is one resort that really has it all without all . . . and all the while keeping it very simple and easy to enjoy. The food was excellent at every meal, including the late night bbq. The pools were fabulous and well kept. The bars poured excellent cocktails and made to order (custom) drinks . . . my wife and I would ask for light run and pineapple with ice blended up. Our room was great, bed was comfortable, mini bar restocked, and always clean. The workout facility across the street was extremely accommodating; we loved the infused water at that bar. All in all, this is the only way to go as far as an all inclusive. We can’t wait to get back there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We went there for a week Nov 5th - 12th for our anniversary trip. This was our first time at an all inclusive in Jamaica. It does take about an hour and half to go there from the Montego Bay Airport. The resort itself is in a great location and the beach is beautiful! The room was fine, I knew going into the vaca that it was not going to be updated/modern. However, we were so close to the road and there was a lot of noise so it was hard not to hear all the cars, motorcycles, honking etc. Just surprised that you were able to hear so much from the roads felt like we were in the middle of a city with all of the noise.

Overall, it was a great trip. And recommend taking the Catamaran cruise and heading over to Ricks Cafe for the sunset.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ROAD!
Marlborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We just returned from our second trip to CSA (Nov 3-10). Once again, we LOVED it!

Arrival: Took a non-stop on Jet Blue from Boston. Best flight ever. On time. No line at immigration! Shuttle ride was quick (1 hour 20 min) with a friendly driver who provided sightseeing tips along the way.

Room: We had requested a specific Garden Verandah suite (the same one we had 2 years ago), however it wasn't available for the first 2 nights. We stayed in a different one for 2 days and then they moved us into the one we wanted for the last 5 days. We were SO HAPPY to get our same suite! We love the garden verandah suites because of the location, the lush tropical plants in that area, and the privacy. While I understand that some people prefer to be right on the beach, there is far too much foot traffic along the path for our liking. We once again requested and got a first floor suite so we could just walk out the verandah door and head to the beach, no trekking up and down flights of stairs! (Wish we had known you could get a key to the patio doors!) We were in building 8 which directly faces the jacuzzi in the middle of the property and gives us a great view of the beach and water. When we were in building 6, they had shades you could pull down on the verandah which helped with the late afternoon sun. It would be nice if all of the verandahs had shades. Also, in building 6 suite, there was a very comfy bamboo rocker on the verandah - not so in building 8 - just a small tub chair. They should have those rockers for all suites without hammocks. We were not at all bothered by street noise. In the building 6 suite, there were tiny ants in the bathroom and on the tables by the bed. Not good. I understand it is the tropics, but I don't want ants in my room! There were none in building 8.

Food:

Patois Patio: breakfast (3 times) - all excellent! Dinner (twice) - excellent! Special note - they have GREAT PIZZA! If they do not list the kind you like, just ask! Service was great!

Cabana Beach Grill: We ate lunch there a lot because you could go in your bathing suit! LOVED the jerk chicken! Friendly service. Fries, burgers, etc. Wish they still had grilled cheese sandwiches!

Palms: Ate buffet breakfast once, buffet lunch once. Standard choices - good food. Friendly service. Ate ala carte dinner there 3 times - delicious, and well served.

Shipwreck beach party - was a bit disappointed that it was inside the Palms (except for 3 grills by the pool) - maybe due to wind? Food was excellent though! Loved the jerk pork and chicken. Desserts (in general) were a bit boring. 3 days of strawberry ice cream....

Feathers: Did not eat there this time, although we had reservations. You have to reserve 3 days in advance but cannot see the daily menu until that day. The choices were not something we wanted, so we canceled. A bit disappointed. I would think they would always have a beef and chicken dish on the menu.

Did not eat at Lemongrass or Sea Grapes.

Cocktails: The bars only have Kirov and Stoli vodka. Wish they had Absolut. I'm pretty sure they did 2 years ago. I had preordered my mini-bar request (thru Romance Rewards) so we got our fridge stocked the first day - which was nice! It was also nice that we had an ice machine right near our suite in building 8 - no ice close in building 6, which was a bummer. We filled out our daily mini-bar request sheet and always got what we ordered daily. One day we forgot to put the card out at night - asked someone walking by if we could just call and get restocked and he said no, then he offered to get what we wanted! Super nice (thank you, Deville!) They also only have Red Stripe on tap. I don't like draft beer. Really wished they had Red Stripe and Red Stripe light in bottles. My husband drank Caribe in cans, which was okay. The beach service was not as good as 2 years ago. Putting up the green flag did not always mean you got service. We just sat near the Bamboo Bar so we could get our own! No problem!

Sunset catamaran ride was fun! Great, friendly crew. Went by Rick's Cafe, then stopped at Pirate Cove so people could jump in the water if they wanted.

Bonfire - One night there was a big bonfire on the beach at 10 pm. Great idea! They had a bar set up (which we didn't know was there until the end) and a guy playing music. I would have much preferred hearing reggae to Robert Flack's "Killing Me Softly"! It was very quiet and subdued - we left after a 1/2 hour before we fell asleep there! Again - bring on the reggae - it's Jamaica!!

Nighttime entertainment: Was a bit lacking. We went to the Palms for the shows a few times. It was just okay. Maybe it's just me, but I want reggae in Jamaica, not songs from the 50's.... We stopped by the piano bar one night, after so many fabulous reviews, but were not interested in hearing guest karaoke singers doing songs like "Jeremiah Was a Bullfrog." We did not go to the Aura Lounge this time - too late!!

On-Property Vendors: 2 years ago, they had different vendors come in every day and set up on the path to the Palms - which was great. They had really nice stuff. I only saw vendors there 2 out of the 7 days this time.

Daily activities: You have to go and look for a schedule posted by the swim-up bar or somewhere else.....the TV stations that are supposed to show them do not work. 2 years ago, we got a printout of the weekly activities in our room. They need to bring that back.

Beach vendors - They will ALWAYS try to sell you something. They are poor and need money. Be respectful and just say "No thanks" and they will walk away. I saw a girl selling jewelry trying to ask 2 women walking by if they would look at her jewelry, she was polite and not at all in their face. They kept walking, totally ignoring her. So rude! The jewelry girls are more than happy to make you custom pieces if what they have is not exactly what you are looking for! We chatted with many of them and they were so friendly and fun to talk to.

Bugs - Okay, so last time, I got ZERO bug bites. We still went prepared, bringing along Deep Woods OFF towelettes. We made sure to use it before going to the beach at sunset or to the bonfire, etc. I literally still got hundreds of bites! I never felt the bite or saw the bugs. EXTREMELY itchy! (still - 3 days after getting home!) My husband was wherever I was and he got ZERO bites. Prepare. Bring hydrocortisone cream.

Beach - FABULOUS!!! You can walk for miles! The water is clean and clear with beautiful sand! You cannot find a better beach! We were lucky as the resort was pretty empty when we were there so there was never a problem getting a lounge chair. The palapas were tough to get until later in the day, but we wanted sun anyway so moved our lounge chairs down to the water's edge.

All in all, we had a wonderful time. I HIGHLY recommend this resort to anyone who loves the beach, the hot sun, and relaxing! It is nice to have all couples there. It is a very romantic place. We cannot wait to go back!!!!!

Room Tip: We like the Garden Verandah Suites because they are quiet and off the beaten path. I originally want...
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I reviewed this resort back in November of 2010 and had nothing but positive things to say about it. We actually loved it so much that we just got back last night from our 2nd trip and are already planning on going a 3rd time (not sure when, but we definitely HAVE to go back!). We went November 5th through November 12th for our 2 year anniversary. I totally understand why we met so many couples that were on their 10th+ trip!!!

The Beach:
Amazing. The staff is out each morning raking up leaves and raking the sand to make sure it looks amazing when you get up. Lots of chairs and floaty things for everyone no matter how many people are on the beach. Unfortunately tons of people get up at 5am to reserve palapas so those are hard to come by unless you're hardcore like that- I'm not, but there are always plenty of hammocks and shady spots to hang out in.

The Included Activities that we did:
1. Catamaran Cruise. We didn't get around to this last time so we went this time and it was great! We didn't know this before boarding, but it is NOT run by the resort so bring tip $$ for any vendors on board/service you receive. No harm if you don't but remember that this is how people make their living so tip if you remember! This cruise takes you along the gorgeous Negril coast and over to some caves where you can jump in and go swimming. The staff on the boat are really nice and entertaining and the view from the boat is great. Totally a good idea.
2. Shopping Trip: Again, tip your driver! This took us to Time Square which was pretty touristy but a great idea if you want to bring back coffee and rum and don't want to pay resort prices (it's cheaper here).
3. Repeaters Dinner: If you are invited to this- GO. The food was phenomenal.
4. Other things we did were the Tye Dye (I forget the guy's name that ran it but he was freaking hilarious. His name started with a D and he was on the entertainment staff). Also Appleton Rum 101 which goes over the differences between all the rums. We saw the steel drum band which was AMAZING, shipwreck beach party wound up being held in the Palms so that was just okay. Entertainment was pretty good at the palms. Mostly I was tired from drinking so I don't really remember.
5. Margaritaville: We actually could have probably walked here but if you want a ride and to have someone from the resort kind of look out for you, then go on their tour. Pretty touristy but still fun!

The Bars:
The two that we went to (both trips) primarily were the swim up bar and the martini bar. Both of these have GREAT drinks with AMAZING bartenders. You'll get awesome service and with every bartender we encountered we could just be like "give me something fruity with rum" or whatever, and they'll make you something random and fantastic.

The Food:
We didn't make it to Feathers this trip cause we slacked on making reservations so I'm not gonna include it. The Palms is a great buffet restaurant with an a la carte dinner. We went a few times for breakfast, lunch, and once for a la carte dinner and once for buffet dinner. All of it was great. We had a server one night who recognized us the next night and came up to us just to say hi and see how we were. I can't remember her name - I really wish I was better with names!!! Lemongrass is the Thai restaurant that is my FAAAV. We went twice for dinner, the 2nd time being LOBSTER night on Saturday. Amazing, amazing service. Cabana Grill is the one by the pool which is actually quite good! Tried the Jamaican patties, the tikka veggie wrap, and the jerk chicken. They also have sweet potato fries... definitely get those. Patois Patio is a la carte for all three meals and we always had great food! Try the banana stuffed french toast for breakfast, and try at least one of the pizzas!!! I remember one night we had a server named Uleasa (Unsure on spelling, but hey at least I got the name) who was the best server we had at that restaurant. We asked her to get us shots and she came with with overproof and simple syrup- she doesn't mess around!! Hahaha.

The Rooms:
We got upgraded upon arriving which was pretty awesome. The rooms are pretty basic but the beds are comfortable and they'll stock your mini bar with whatever you want.

The Staff:
Everyone that works here is amazing. A few people I want to mention that really stood out are Krystal, Rushaine, and Shelly on the entertainment team. All of them are great and make all the guests feel like they are really at home but those three really stood out for me- especially Rushaine cause he's freaking hilarious. Again all of the servers and bartenders are great. Eduardo and Ruel will definitely take care of you at the swim up bar! Ruel gets everyone engaged at the bar playing games and interacting which is awesome.

So basically, all of this rambling is to let you know that you should just go ahead and book your trip already- unless you randomly hate great service, great food, and a great Carribean vacation!!!

Zionsville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I went on our honeymoon to Couples Swept Away in Negril from 10/22/12 to 10/28/12. This was our first time in Jamaica and several friends had recommended not only Jamaica as a great vacation spot, but also this particular resort. It is a great value for the money, both for plane tickets and the all-inclusive resort package. We worked with Melissa at Beach Bum Vacations in order to plan and book this trip and were thrilled at how easy the whole process was and how smoothly our trip went thanks to her help. She is thoroughly informed on a variety of vacation destinations and talked through all of our questions with us at length. Her customer service skills and prompt responses were what impressed me the most since so many vendors are lacking that these days. At the resort, we stayed in a beachfront verandah suite on the 2nd floor and would definitely pay the little bit of extra money to stay in a beachfront room again. It is totally worth the money to have that view from your room and be able to quickly check out the weather and beach area before leaving the room. Also, since we were affected by Hurricane Sandy during our stay, we ended up spending more time in the room than we anticipated so it helped that we could still feel like we were right on the beach even from our balcony. I was a little disappointed that it didn't feel like there were a lot of things to do while everyone was waiting to see if the hurricane would come to our side of the island, but the resort put safety first, and I suppose you can't ask for much more in that situation. We loved the fact that the beach was not crowded with people, and we were hardly ever bothered by anyone selling things on the resort property while walking the beach or the rest of the resort grounds. The inside of the rooms is nothing spectacular but the point of a place like this is not to spend much time in the room. If it weren't for a lot of activities being canceled due to the hurricane, we would have had a fuller experience here, but if was definitely a beautiful, relaxing, location and we would give it another shot during a different time of the year!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!