“Couples Swept Away was everything that we had hoped for” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Norman Manley Blvd, Negril, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Louisville, Kentucky
“Couples Swept Away was everything that we had hoped for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Couples Swept Away has this wonderful vibe. I like how the hotel is spread out along the beach which makes for a nice walk when going to different places within the hotel. The grounds were kept very neat and the atmosphere was of a quaint boutique hotel. All of the "add on" ammenties are very nice. We ended up doing various activites with a variety of people that we met. The sunset cruise and Rick's cafe is a must do. My husband surprised me with a dinner on the beach which was the most romantic night. The food was great at all resturants and the beach was pristene and calm.

I loved this place. I would like to go back, and stay a little longer to enjoy some more of the "add ons" that we just didnt have time for this trip.

ROOMS - upon check in, we were given the worst room in the place. It was 2nd floor Great House and overlooked the apartments and parking lot next door (where locals live). We were both so disappointed that we just sad quietly pondering our disappointment. We live in Kentucky and being able to sit on the balcony and see the ocean for one week a year is extremely important to us. Anyway, they moved us the next day and it was a much better view. It looked like that was the theme... people stay in that area for 1 night, then move. I paid the same and lost in the room lottery. What I would recommend.... The hotel should just sell this area of rooms at a much lower price and just say that there is NO view.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

We literally just got back from CSA tonight and let me tell you, we are depressed!!!! This was, hands down, one of the best weeks ever! CSA truly outdid themselves! Everything was superb! The food was beyond excellent, the service was great, the rooms were great (except for the occasional ants, which couldn't be helped) and the resort itself is spectacular! The sheer architectural design of the area is just breath-taking. I have never seen such a beautiful beach!!! On top of that, having all the non-motorized water sports activities to our disposal was a fantastic plus. The catamaran cruise was definitely a highlight of our trip! The Palms was marvelous with different variations of foods every night, Feathers was great, the Jerk chicken sandwiches and authentic Jamaican patties were amazing at the Cabana Grill and the Patois was superb too.

The hotel service was great. The people are extremely nice. We were greeted at the airport in a very friendly manner and taken to the resort in an efficient fashion (and also got a nice road trip of the city at the same time). The shuttle service on our return trip was just as great. Buses are nicely air-conditioned so the ride is generally quite comfortable. Speaking of shuttle services, Rick's Cafe is a must to check out when visiting Negril. CSA offers a shuttle to and from the place at a round trip cost of $30 per couple which is great. The cliff divers were so entertaining and the place itself is spectacular.

Keep in mind though that when visiting during the low season, you will encounter afternoon rain storms almost every day (we did, but it actually was fine because the mornings were spectacular so the afternoon rain helped to refresh the air.) Also, going during the low season also means less crowd, generally speaking, so you have more of the beach to yourself! To each their own though!

Overall, 10/10 easily. I would definitely recommend CSA for anyone who hasn't been and is considering Negril as a vacation spot. I am already considering a return trip!

Stevens Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

My husband & I stayed at Swept Away May 15- 21, 2010. After doing much research, I decided that Swept Away looked to be the most romantic resort to get married at. The staff is incredible & I can't stress that enough! I did some of our wedding arrangements via email with the Couples conceirge team. Andre Whyte...you are the man! He helped me with the Honeymoon Room decor, the private beach dinner for our wedding night..even provided us with a complimentary chocolate plate (which was delicious!) When we arrived at the resort, we were greated by Andre himself & then given a cold towel that smelled amazing--it was so refreshing! And also a cold class of champagne. We checked in with the front desk & then we were walked to our room. The plants & flowers were so beautiful along the pathway. The grounds are very well kept..I was already extremely impressed. We walked into our room, which was well air conditioned. The mini fridge was stocked with water, juice, soda & of course, Red Stripe! Hurray Beer! We opened the curtain & OMG! The view was outstanding! We were steps away from the beach & the ocean was right there..the sunsets at night were absolutely breathtaking! The restaurants & food was all good..a lot of choices, so you had plenty to choose from. The waitstaff were all friendly & Germaine was our favorite. He had an awesome personality, very funny & also very informative. The bartenders were also very friendly & polite. They knew us by name by the end of the first day.
We were married on a Tuesday afternoon at 1pm. Everything was perfect. From the ceremony, to the flowers, to the photos, the wedding cake, the room decor & our private dinner on the beach...it brings tears to my eyes everytime I think about it! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!
The catamaran cruise to Rick's Cafe was awesome! Such a good time! We also took a bus down to Rick's on a different day & spent a few hours there...drinks were good, the music was playing, the bartenders were fun to talk to & the cliff divers were crazy!
We spent another afternoon walking the beach & checking out all of the little huts, picking up souveniers along the way. We also stopped at Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville.
The beach is amazing...the soft, powdery white sand, the palm trees, the intense sun...I can still smell the ocean air! And at night, it's just as beautiful. We snuggled up in a hammock & watched the stars under the full moon while a musician played romantic love songs.
We have been back to Jamaica once since then & stayed in Ocho Rios with another couple, and I have to say, it just isn't the same on that part of the island. There is no doubt in my mind that our next trip to Jamaica will be to Negril; we'd like to try Couples Negril next.
It was an absolutely amazing trip, a gorgeous wedding, an incredible time. I wouldn't change any part of it. We were sad to leave but are very much looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: I booked the Beachfront Verandah Suite. We had a groundfloor room with the most spectacular view!
Bend, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We loved Couples Swept Away and would definately return given the opportunity. We are typically budget adventure travelers but this all inclusive enticed us to "stay in one spot". The nice thing is that this spot has it all. The food is excellent, the staff is friendly and we loved the fact that there was no pressure to tip. The grounds and beach are lovely and we especially liked the SCUBA diving and wind surfing. A TRUE ALL INCLUSIVE! Well worth the splurge!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We always enjoy our trips to Jamaica and this trip didn't disappoint. We had previously stayed at Couples Negril and decided to try another place while staying with the same company and same beach. CSA is a lot bigger than CN but both are amazing. You have more restaurant options at CSA but somehow I remember the shows being better at CN. All in all you can't go wrong with either.

Room Tip: If you don't want an Atrium room, try and get the rooms closer to the front desk that only have...
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed July 9-15 with another couple and had an excellent time. Now for the nuts and bolts for your reviewing pleasure.

Food--the food was excellent. Feathers was air conditioned, elegant, it did have small portions, but I just odered an extra entree to make up for that. Lemongrass was our favorite, ordered the extra spicy options and was sweating by the time I left, they have an excellent martini bar there as well. The Palms is buffet style and Patois is a la carte, we really enjoyed both places and just alternated to mix it up, but both were excellent, especially the breakfast at Patois. The menus at the restuarants change mid week too, so that was pretty cool. Sea grapes was excellent for lunch as we had read.

Drinks---the drinks were excellent with top shelf booze and they also had Miller Lite which was nice and you could request that in your room fridge instead of the Carib beer. The Bob Marley shot has to be tried, but if the top clear layer is more than a 1/4" you are in trouble, that overproof rum is no joke!!

Best bartender--Horatio at the Patois bar in the evening, dude was a riot!! We went to the night club one evening and had a great time even with the smell, literally smelled like puke for some reason, everyone noticed, but sadly you got acclimated to it, heard it was taken care of by the time we left.

Rooms---we stayed in the Garden Verandha rooms 4303 and 4203, which were by the road but we didn't really notice the noise at all. The rooms were very nice and had a great balcony which we enjoyed during the daily afternoon thunderstorms, most were short lived, and there was one day where it lasted the afternoon and one day with no rain at all.

Off resort---we left for one afternoon to check out Rick's Cafe and to get some authentic Jerk Chicken at Bourbon Beach. Rick's has a great location and is a nice place, but other than that I was not impressed. The local jumpers were annoying, apparrently if you make eye contact with them and nod your head for them to jump you are expected to tip, so if I were to return I would simply jump off myself, dry off and leave, the food was weak and expensive, so no reason to chow down in my opinion. Bourbon Beach had grea jerk chicken, it had a lot of heat and was definitely different than the resort, which is what we wanted to experience. It was a bit pricey and it pays to know the exchange rate for currency so you don't get duped. I got offered wacky tobacky and mushrooms almost immediately, which is pretty standard off the resort. The resort provides a driver for $15 a person and Jackson was ours and waited for us at both locations.

Tipping---they get fired if they are seen accepting tips, so if you are so inclined, just be smart about who and when you tip, the supervisors wear different outfits.

Beach volleyball--thanks to a group of us it is up and running again, Akeem from entertainment made us take down the one we rigged up as it did not appear that they had utilized it in some time. We made them move it, which took 4 hours for them to get approval for a location and get it set up, that was with us helping move the net, poles and dig the holes to expedite the process. Derek from SC fixed the net the next day as it was sagging, so for those like us who enjoy playing and staying active, it should be good to go now.

Sports Complex--this was awesome, multiple tennis courts, running track with 14 different workout stations for a Cross Fit type workout, raquetball courts, and a gym that has dumbbells that reach 100lbs. Great smoothie bar for after your workout as well and air conditioned locker room, gym is open air, so you will sweat out the booze from the day before.

Kind of a lengthy review, but I use this site religiously when planning a trip, so I wanted to be thorough. Beach is amazing, this is not your place if you are more interested in pools, they have two small ones at each end, one with a swim up bar which appeared to be a good time.

We would definitely return, which says a lot, hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: Garden Verandha are just fine
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and are in our mid 40's, and have had the good fortune to be able to travel quite a bit. We have been to many of the Sandals Resorts, including St. Lucia and the Bahamas, and Club Med properties as well. I have also travelled Europe fairly extensively, and I worked at a "Club Med" type of Resort for 7 years in my 20's. We live in a tourist town, Santa Barbara, California, so we feel we know travel pretty well.

I could go on and on about Couples Swept Away, and gave it five (5) stars for the following reasons:

1. One of the worlds best "soft sand" beaches! It feels like you are walking on soft powder and the water rises very slowly, so it feels like you are swimming in a huge sand bottom pool. Enough said!
2. The Food! Lobster on Saturday night! The seafood is amazing. All the restaurants are top notch! I loved the super fresh fish tacos at Sea Grapes! Late night eating until 5am was fun!
3. The Staff! They are all incredible! Kevin, you are a GOD! Really, all the Staff are amazing! For folks who said anything negative about the staff, I am sure it is a cultural thing, as Jamaican's have a fairly unique style of communication. My wife will also send in a review, and thank all the specific staff by name... too many to include here!
4. The Atrium Suites - Feels like you are sleeping in a beautiful tree house in the middle of the jungle. By the way, all the air conditioning units work great, and you rarely need them at night. You can hear the tree frogs and crickets at night. Paradise!
5. The Entertainment - Not as "rah-rah" as Club Med or Sandals, but something for everyone. The night time entertainment was very entertaining!
6. The Setting - Beautiful sunsets every night and lots of couples in love! The perfect place to connect or reconnect with your partner! Most couples are there to get married, celebrate their honeymoon, or for a wedding anniversary, to renew their vows! Everyone is very friendly, so even if you tried you can not help but meeting other great couples from around the United States, Canada, and from around the world!

Of course, there are a few things that were not "perfect", but then again, that is life! If you are looking for a perfect vacation, then you should probably just stay home. I am not sure the other vacationers or Couples Staff would want you there anyway! :-)

If you want a romantic week with the special someone in your life, this place is hard to beat!

John and Jackie

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!