“Beachfront perfection” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Union, Kentucky
“Beachfront perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This was a perfect hotel. The website doesn't do justice to the rooms which have all been recently upgraded. I usually like an oceanfront room but choose a second floor garden room where i could enjoy the view of the beautiful garden setting and trees. This property is owner operated and the owner lives onsite. She is a delightful lady and we enjoyed getting to know her. It was my husband's 60th birthday and she had her staff make him a cake. The hotel is like being part of a "neighborhood"..very friendly. The staff is friendly, the restaurant food was good and the beach was right there to be enjoyed. This was my fifth time to Jamaica and I will be back.

Room Tip: The hotel only has two floors and I liked the second floor so you can enjoy the view of the gardens.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

this resort was so nice. from the pictures you really dont know, but honestly when you get there you will be amazed. the rooms are like little villas. each room has a hammock outside, so you can just enjoy the warm jamaican air on your patio. the rooms are nice. we booked a normal room, but i guess got upgraded to a suite? im not sure because our room had a full kitchen as well. I have no complaints about the room. if you are there for more then a couple of days you get to know the resort worker. for example, the maid that was assign to our room was so nice, and make sure to tip them during your stay or when you are leaving, they deserve it and are just so nice. the breakfast was great. you get to get breakfast while having a great view of the ocean. if I go back to Negril I'll def be staying here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pinole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had a great time at this hotel. My room was up a flight of stairs so I was delighted that there was someone to carry up all of my bags (I seriously overpacked). They offer a free buffet breakfast, which was awesome the first couple of days at least but by day 3 I was looking for some diversity. The hotel is located right in the middle of everything so you don't have far to walk and when you do want to explore, there were plenty of drivers there to shuttle you around. There were a couple of drawbacks like, the bed was hard, they forgot to clean my rooms a couple of days and they ran out of wireless receivers but none of it ruined my trip. In fact, I'll be returning in Sept.

Room Tip: Street noise can be heard from rooms in the 30s and higher (in the back).
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I cannot think of staying anyplace else. Well l do but l never follow through because the Tree House meets all my needs. The location is ideal, the staff is wonderful, breakfast is a steal, the price is good. There is nothing pretentious about it. Very clean (not only looks clean but smells clean).
My favourite thing to do is hanging out at the bar (not necessarily drinking) and watching the sun set and the moon rise. I particular love the lushness of the vegetation. My only downside this trip was that there were not as many blooming flowers this time around. I think all the buds had been picked and placed in our room. While it was a nice touch, there were too many and l would rather have seen them on the plants than so many unopeneded buds in my room.
So many things to do and so many people to do it with. Norris for fair transportation, Captain Quality and his crew - kevin, Mark et al for Parasailing and jet skiing and sunset cruising, Alrick and Patrick for a smile at the bar, too many to name.
I love Negril and I love the Tree House.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room or one that is not in the midle of a traffic lane. That way you can open your w...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Me and my fiance just got back from staying at the Negril Tree House. This is our second time here after 12 years. We found a great deal on Living Social and decided to celebrate our engagement with this trip. The minute we checked in we felt we were at our home away from home. All the staff are extremely nice and helpful with whatever you need. Customer service was great. Many of the guests we met were also returning guests. Our room was very comfortable and clean. The food here was great, especially the jerk chicken. Our favorite spot was the bar next to the beach. The bartenders were really friendly. You really can't get any better than this, beautiful beach, friendly staff and locals, and laid back environment.

Thank you Gail for another great stay, we'll be back soon.

Stephanie and Alex
MIAMI , FLORIDA

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint John
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from a week at the Tree House. The rooms were clean and the location was fantastic. We walked 7 mile beach in both directions and saw lots of characters. Tree House puts you in the middle of the action for sure. The food and service were great, and the Movie Star Chef was cool... food was hot. Pattie shack next door is worth a visit also... And don't miss going to Myrna's bar on the beach towards Negril... say hi to Maureen! Highly recommend this very cost effective resort.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My fiancée and I bought a Groupon and stayed at the Tree House for 5 nights. I was apprehensive about travelling to Negril, and Jamaica in general, but I admit the serenity of the Tree House palliated any anxiety I had very quickly.
We used Kenny Tours to travel from Montego Bay to Negril. They're located at desk 2, right outside the arrivals area of the airport. The service was prompt, and they took us (and another Groupon-using couple) in a newer van with a/c. A word of caution, the Margaritaville at the airport is crazy expensive, and if you order anything other than rum punch, there won't be much alcohol. Also, a rum punch and pina colada will cost you $20US. We asked our driver, Luke, to stop for jerk chicken on the way down, and he happily obliged, stopping at Jerky's. Side note: their jerk pork is fantastic!!! A little over an hour later, we pulled up to the Tree House.
You'll walk past the hotel's kitchen area and into a large, open-air reception area. There's free wi-fi available in this area with a few benches, and 1 swing-type hanging seat (it would be a terrific addition, and minor expense if the Tree House added a few more of these). The actual reception was courteous, but there wasn't any real "welcome" per se, no map of the grounds, directions to the restaurant, explanation of where/when breakfast was, and so on.
The hotel is composed of several cylindrical 2-story buildings, each containing 4 rooms, or 2 suites. They are linked by expertly groomed paths, with beautiful flowers, banana trees, and the like. Merely walking from the reception area to your room can instill a zen-like calm.
We stayed in room 29, on the first floor, tucked away toward the rear of the property. It's location was terrific because you were away from any road noise, and decently away from the beach such that it was less than a minute walk to the water, but far enough away that the music from Maragaritaville (located 2 doors down) didn't keep you up at night.
The room is just as pictured - tile floors, large, super comfortable beds, powerful a/c. The shower was large enough for us to shower together. One downside of the room, it has wooden slats that open and close, rather than windows. This means that if people walk by/hang out on the patio, you can hear them with crystal clarity in your room. It's a nice touch, aesthetically, but becomes problematic when you're trying to sleep, or want to have a private conversation.
The breakfast buffet, which is included, is massive and delicious! It's served on an upstairs terrace, right above the kitchen. It has breathtaking views of the sea and palm trees, and if you sneak up there in the late afternoon, you can get brilliant photos of the sunset! Back to breakfast. It's huge. From the beginning of the line, you'll find fresh fruit (usually watermelon, pineapple, and papaya), followed by oatmeal and grits, or cornmeal porridge (I recommend the porridge!). Then you'll see kalaloo (a common Caribbean dish, akin to spinach); followed by ackee and saltfish (ackee is a fruit that prepares and tastes like egg, and saltfish is usually cod - it's delicious), or chicken stew. Then you'll find "festivals," which are more like plain munchkins, but soft, warm and tasty. There is a Belgian waffle bar (you can add chocolate chips if you're feeling fancy), and an omelette bar (your choice of ham, vegetables, cheese, and mushrooms). I think they have a selection of every type of bread ever made, and an industrial toaster. This is all accompanied by some of the best coffee I've ever had, and orange juice. A tip of $2 or so is common for the waitstaff or "omelette lady." That covers the transportation, reception, room, and breakfast. Now for some important info.
First of all, DON'T CHANGE MONEY AT THE AIRPORT!!! We made this mistake and got roughly 81 Jamaican dollars for each US dollar. At the Tree House, we would've gotten 93 Jamaican dollars for each US dollar. BUT, there's no need to carry Jamaican currency if you remain in/around Negril and Montego Bay. Everyone accepted US currency, and overwhelmingly, things were priced in US currency. We're going back in August and will not be converting any money.
That said, Jamaica is expensive. For example, Red Stripe beer, brewed on the island, costs me $2.50 a pint in New York - it's $3.20 at the Tree House. Mixed drinks (Pina Coladas, etc) are between $7-9US each. Oh, and they're served in small plastic cups - not the giant glasses you may have been expecting. Food runs anywhere from $7US for a small plate, to $+20US. A jerk chicken plate (which was fantastic) cost $14.95US.
Our preferred taxi driver, Williams, kept us safe, and was incredibly reliable! I can't praise him enough. I'm ex-mil, and Williams always made me feel safe, and always maintained situational awareness so that we could enjoy ourselves...and our rum punches! Here's a tip, make friends with another couple and plan trips to town with them to reduce taxi costs. The cost to some of the usual places: from Tree House to Rick's Cafe is $16-18US/one way; to the Crafts Market $6US/one way.
The beach at the hotel is gorgeous, but looks to be eroding. Half of the beach bar is now surrounded by water, which is nice, but if you knew how it was planned, and how it looked a few years ago, it might be alarming. Soft sand, and calm, crystal clear water are perfect. Around 3pm, along the swimming line (the line that delineates the watercraft/swimming areas, you'll have a chance to see hundreds of starfish due to the shifting sands/tides. The currents here have barely been strong enough to be noticeable, and at it's deepest it may be 5ft, so it's definitely kid friendly.
As tranquil as the beach and water may be, it's brimming with vendors hawking everything from sugar cane to jet ski rentals and parasailing. This can become tedious, especially your first day or so. After that, they'll walk by and announce "fruits, pineapple, coconut, bananas, sugar cane," but then move along. Around noon each day, a guy walks up and down selling freshly grilled lobster - if you like lobster, buy it, you won't regret doing so! It's $8US for one, $15US for 2, or $20US for 3. They're delicious! Also, there's another guy who sells jerk pork from a shiny aluminium box slung over his shoulder. I can't recall his name, but he raises his own pigs and makes jerk pork that's so tasty it's garnered its own internet following! I should also mention "Verne," a terrifically and infectiously happy "fruit lady" who plies the Tree House beach selling mango, soursop, pineapple, etc. She'll peel/cut-up whatever you order, and it's always delicious, but be prepared to pay around $9/10US for a relatively little amount of fruit.
Lastly, if you plan on bringing home Jamaican rum, don't buy it anywhere but the duty free shops at the airport. We bought a bottle of overproof rum for $18 at the Tree House gift shop, and found the same bottle for $10 at the airport. That said, Appleton Rum is ubiquitous in Negril, but give Sangster's a try (they have a booth at the airport duty free where you can try them all). Also, regarding gifts, I can't recommend enough this specific wood carver at the Negril Crafts Market named Mike. You'll always find him sitting outside his small shop, carving another beautiful piece. He can make any statue you ask - we asked him to make a Christmas ornament for us, a "Rasta Claus," which he finished in a day and delivered to the Tree House for $30US. He's also able to alter any of his existing pieces and add personalisations.
So that's it. The Tree House is fantastic, and certainly beats any "all-inclusive" resort. Go to the Tree House to truly be a part of the Jamaican experience, but know that, as with any foreign travel, there are nuances. These nuances actually add depth to the trip, they don't ruin it. If you're looking to travel to Negril, stay here (it's been around for decades, so it's a legend in Negril), have Williams take you to a nice restaurant (Canoe, Mi Yard) and to the crafts market. Go see Mike, and watch a sunset from the terrace. I'm writing this from New York, and when I stop to think about all the things I've written, and the many more experiences I couldn't possibly do justice describing, it makes me miss the Tree House in a way not too different from the way a soldier misses his home.

Room Tip: Room 29, toward the back, was far enough away from the road noise, and also a bit removed from the l...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Negril Tree House Resort? Share your experiences!