“Beautiful Jamaica” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
“Beautiful Jamaica”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This trip was a last minute trip for me. I was invited by my best friend and gladly accepted. I had to do some switching at work to have the time off and boy was it well worth it. The hotel was clean and beautiful and right on the beach. There was breakfast included daily and it was delicious. We did a few excursions that was well worth the money. I would recommend this place to anyone. So if your planning a trip to Jamaica consider the Treehouse in Negril. It's family oriented and worth the price. I had a great time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Everyone was very accommodating and for the most part nice. I was very comfortable being on the property even though I traveled alone. I stayed in the middle of the property but I could still see the ocean from my balcony. Even the other guests were friendly. Well, it is Jamaica after all. What could anyone possibly be upset about?

Pros: Breakfast every morning. Nice views. Hardworking staff. Bar on the property right up to the water (literally). Tasty food. There are safes located in the rooms. Good drinks at the bar -very talented bartenders. Standard rooms are small but inviting. Grounds are kept clean and they have security on the premises. Each room has a ceiling fan and A/C should you get too hot.

Cons: Get breakfast early because the guests swarm it like locusts and the hotel runs out of items. Take wrinkle-free clothes because an iron is hard to come by. The fact is that you will be offered weed many times while there and it's not always from the locals. I question the cleanliness of the hot tub, it didn't like the way it smelled. I'm African American but most the guests were Caucasian. That's not the problem. However, I noticed a few of the staff members (always the same ones) that would treat the Caucasian guests nicer than the AA guests. I am very perceptive and in speaking to a few locals, they pretty much confirmed my thoughts. I don't blame the Tree House for the discrepancies because not everyone was like that and I do plan on bringing this to the owner's attention.

If staying longer than a couple of days, I would suggest getting a room with a kitchenette because it can get costly eating out everyday. There are some food deals to be had up and down the beach but you need to look for them. You can find a party almost every night of the week along the beach, just ask the locals. As a precaution that many Jamaicans expressed to me, "don't walk along the beach at night" because you can get robbed and it is doubtful that you would be able to identify your attacker in almost pitch black darkness. If you want to travel off the property, have the hotel call you a reputable cab company to assist you. Oh, just a word to the wise. Don't carry around a wad of money. Keep $30-$40 in one pocket and keep your other cash somewhere else. Work with the smaller amount when out and about because you never know who is watching you.

I had a good time and would go back. I met lots of interesting people.

Room Tip: The waves were a bit loud at night so I'm glad I had a room in the middle of the property. A ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
medford, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from four nights at the Negril Treehouse Resort. Had a living social voucher which included transport from airport. The staff could not have been nicer or more accomodating. Our original "garden view" room was somewhat small and had older furniture and no hair dryer! We were able to upgrade to an ocean view suite which had a balcony (and hair dryer) ... we were literally no more than ten steps from the beach (which is small but comfy). They also have a small swimming pool and jacuzzi. The resort is small so you don't have to walk far for anything. Loved the people and greenery. Also loved the on-the-beach grill and master chef Alan's jerk chicken and pork ... Not a five star hotel, much more charming and cozy. I will go back.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room or suite. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper as the walls are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reston, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was hesitant about booking a stay here, but it was awesome and I will return! For of all the location is perfect, your int he middle of everything! The rooms are not luxurious and full of amenities and a wow factor , but it is kept clean and serves it purpose ( you won't be in there long anyway). The staff is extremely helpful and nice. The water scooter rental is right outside, along with a table of souvenier's and mini mart just feet away from the front lobby. What i foudn to be really awesome, is the hotel is walking distance to Margaritaville (that place was soooo much fun)!

I think it is only fitting, to mention CHEF ALAN, who runs the jerk stand at the hotel. This is the BEST jerk you will ever eat. it is a MUST you stop by and dine st his beachside jerk chicken, or pork bar. Not only is he entertaining, but the food and scenery is unforgettable. I want to go back now, just thinking about it! The only real thing I didnt like was the hard mattress. They need better matresses. But in the big scheme of things thats not a deal breaker for me. You're so tired form all the stuff going on, you're too sleepy to care about the mattress softness after 5 minutes. and maybe only my room had a brick for a bed, I dont know.

LOL Basically, if you have any hesitation about staying here don't you'll be fine. They have security on staff. The security on the beach for the hotel was GREAT. He was very good about not allowing the peddlers to bug you too much while laying out
relaxing! Oh there's a nice outdoor bar as well. Basically the hotel is truly wonderful and the price is reasonable. As a side note as well. When in Negril, you definitely want to check out the Jungle Club. About a $10 cab ride form the hotel. The club was a two level very Americanized dance club that played good hip hop/RB music and had a mixed crowd. Big club, cheap drinks and nice crowd. If you like to party, you want to go there. Hope this helps.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Minnesota USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Hey everybody! evryting Irie! My wife and I just returned from Negril {9th time} and our first time at the famous Negril Tree House! First of all, we'd like to say we had a great time. The weather was perfect, the sea, the beach, ice cold Red Stripes etc. Hats off to Gail Jackson and her staff! Our room was on the ground level. Very nice room. Our maid was JOY, always smiling and singing! The breakfast was very good. Made to order omelettes, pancakes, waffles, plus Jamacian specialities. Our server was DEBBIE. What a sweet, soft spoken nice person! I should also mention that alot of Gail's staff have been long-time employees. What does that say? Also, the NTH has alot of repeat guests. Hi to John & Sue from Green Bay! The beach area is smaller, but that's o.k because not everybody is going to be laying out at the same time anyway. The location of NTH is perfect, right in the middle of Negril's famous seven mile beach! The only problem is to decide which way to walk today? It's too bad of the recent storms etc. the erosion problem of the sand. Maybe that will correct itself. The grounds of the resort are beautiful. Thanks Malcolm! The pool is nice and refreshing. The lobby area is nice just to sit around after a long day of walking {and adult beverages!}. There's free wifi in the lobby. All in all, we really recommend the NTH! Yeah, I suppose the A.I.'s are convenient, but why be confined? Get out and experience everything you can about Negril. I'd like to say that we are now JAmericans. {is there a merit badge, or something?} Thanks again Gail Jackson & staff at NTH! Hopefully we can stay again next year! Respect. One Love. Rock and Roll Farmer + Wife.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 8 nights at the Tree House - it was just as good as we remembered it 14 years ago! The staff is very helpful, the rooms are all renovated with modern flat screen TV's and the cleanliness not to be equaled. They serve a great buffet breakfast from 8 to 11 AM (included in the price of the room) and have a restaurant on premises as well as a jerk stand with the famous "Moviestar Chef" in attendance! The prices at the hotel (as in all of the Negril restaurants) are a little on the high side from what we remembered but all in all a good value for your money. There is also a beach bar adjacent to the restaurant. The hotel is very quiet - no scheduled activities except for the Managers Cocktail party on Saturday night. There is no entertainment at night but that too is the beauty of this place - quiet, relaxing yet things to do if you want to not too far away. The only sad part of the trip was that the beach front property has been severely damaged by storms and although still clean and beautiful it is a lot less than we remembered. We never had a problem getting lounges in the shade and there are lots of chairs in the sun and by the pool and hot tub too. All in all this was just what we wanted - a quiet, relaxing vacation at a beautiful hotel and beach. If you are looking for the "all inclusive" scene with lots of activities this is not the place for you. There are water sports for an extra charge but otherwise things are "make your own fun" or just sit quietly and read a book. I would highly recommend the Tree House for a relaxing vacation - most of the guests are repeaters and the question when you meet someone is not "when did you arrive" but "when were you here last?" We can't wait to return - thank you Tree House staff for a memorable time.

Room Tip: The upper level rooms are more private and have high ceilings
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

After our second stay at the Tree House, I felt it was time to finally review this little gem. There are those that may read this that are big fans of the all-inclusives. If you are that person, this is not the place for you.

This is a sweet little resort run by a lovely woman named Gail Jackson. The staff is so warm and friendly. Love Stacy, Janice, "superstar" Alan's jerk chicken and really all of the staff (wish I could remember their names). They really do their best to make you feel as if you're staying in their home.

We like to stay on the second floor, in the middle of the property. The rooms are equivalent to an American 3 to 4 star hotel. They are cozy, clean with a ceiling fan hanging from the traditional wood ceiling, ac, satellite tv, safe, and a basic clean bathroom with liquid soap dispensed from a wall unit. A vase of fresh Jamaican flowers was displayed everyday on our desk. Toiletries are at a minium so you may want to come prepared. The front desk staff has some necessaries for purchase-I believe. Also, the shop next door, as well as others along 7-mile beach, has just about anything you may need for your stay. There is no blow dryer either, however, I requested and received one from the front desk during my first stay there. Love the hammock swing on the balcony in front of the rooms; it's fun to hang out and enjoy the lush tropical landscaping on the property. The bed is fairly comfortable and lots of pillows are supplied.

We enjoy the breakfast buffet every morning. There is something for every pallete there from waffles, omelettes, oatmeal, fresh fruit to Jamaican dishes such as callaloo, saltfish, yummy stews and of course, our personal favorite cornmeal porridge. Wish they served it everyday! Stacy and all the staff in the kitchen are just fantastic. The service is excellent!

The pool is a nice size to swim and the beach area is clean, protected and relaxing. There were a couple of topless sunbathing guests so if it bothers you, here's your warning. There is a bar right on the water that adds a lot of fun atmosphere. People seemed to be enjoying the massage service provided in a little canopied area of the beach. We took a cruise on the glassbottom boat which was fun. Many of us snorkled and some just chilled. There is free yoga and paddleboarding a few times a week along with a service that will arrange any daytrips one may be interested in doing.

We've eaten in the restaurant a few times. Alan makes a delicious jerk chicken dinner along with his "superstar" touch. The drinks are a decent price. Restaurant prices are what you would expect to pay on the beach-not cheap but not too expensive either. One night we had a waiter who was somewhat unattentive, but that is a rarity at the Tree House. Mostly, we go out on our own to find local food. Love the "Patty Man" Norman who sells amazing patties up and down 7-mile. We have literally tracked him down on 7-Mile Beach just to get his delicious patties at a killler great price! Look for him on his converted bike. We've eaten these delicious patties for years now.

Gail plans mixers and fun things to do. During our last stay, there was a Happy Hour with liquid sunshine ( free drink of the hour) and some yummy appetizers that were passed around. Another night, a bonfire was planned.

One negative point I can remember is sometimes groups from bus tours or other resorts will come for several hours and take limited space on the beach making it difficult for some Tree House guests to find space. They order food and drinks so I'm sure it's a nice revenue stream for the resort. I guess I wouldn't have minded it so much if there was more space to lounge, but during our first stay we had about a half dozen German tourists jammed up against our loungers.

All and all, Tree House is a resort that we will be frequenting for years to come.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Negril Tree House Resort? Share your experiences!