“great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

You added SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril to your Saves list
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   7-Mile Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, PO Box 25, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #44 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Rooms Negril pleasantly surprised us with it's comfortable affordable room. Huge king bed, nice modern bathroom and flat screen tv. The location in the middle of 9 mile beach is awesome, with great restaurants and bars within walking distance on the beach in both directions. The breakfast at Rooms was ok, nothing exciting... but kept us going until lunch. We loved the Patties for lunch, you gotta try them... at $1 each, a real bargain. We did not eat dinner at the restaurant on site because there were just so many great places to eat, even though a lot were closed because it was the slow season. Which brings me to another point, because it was so quiet a lot of the time it seemed like we were the only ones enjoying this tropical paradise... it was awesome! Water crystal clear and warm. Went snorkelling out on the reef near Booby Key Island and that was simply amazing.. lots of coral and colorful fish... second best snorkelling ever (best is Fiji).
Although we had a problem at the front desk when we arrived to check in and were told that they had our reservation for a different date (which had already passed) and that they would need us to pay for three nights until they could confirm reservation with central reservations (it was a Saturday night). I told them that I would not give them my credit card since we had already been charged for the accommodation. I immediately called BOOK IT.COM and was pleasantly surprised when the person I spoke to immediately rectified the situation with the front desk and we got our room!
All in all a great vacation. Watch out for sand fleas!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I booked this hotel during their current promotion, offering every 3rd night free. So for my 8 day, 7 night trip I ended up with 2 free nights and wished I could have extended my stay for 2 more days. But even if I hadn't caught this great deal...the price on an oceanfront room, mere steps from the beach was too great to pass up.

When I arrived on the property, my room wasn't quite ready, but I definitely was already in my 'No Worries Zone". Once it was ready I was taken to Room 1903 (oceanfront, ground floor) and loved it from the minute I stepped in the door. I had a king size bed, plenty of closet space with hangers, an iron and ironing board. The electronic safe was located in the closet and is opened with a passcode you assign. The remote controlled AC unit was located above the closet doors and chilled the room nicely. I found that if you turn it off and not let it run if you're not in the room, then it cooled things down really quickly.The bathroom was modern and water pressure was awesome from both shower heads. Always plenty of hot water. There was a six drawer dresser and flat screen TV above on the wall. The desk had a coffee maker and free coffee and tea provided. And through my deck door, patio furniture to chill, have a meal, watch the sunset and the water and all the beach activity and best of all just five steps down to the sand.

I only ever ate breakfast in the restaurant,Senita's, usually ordering ackee and saltfish or callaloo and saltfish with fried fritters and let me tell you, they were genuinely good. Continental breakfast (cereal, fruit plate, toast, a small glass of juice and tea and coffee) is available for free, but try either of these. Some days I'd just do the fritters with the fruit, tea and juice.

Since I went in September, which is notoriously slow, the property (beach area, restaurant and pool) were practically available to me and my friend alone most of the time. There were other guests but of course we're all on different schedules. And I never felt pressured or bothered even when I sat outside the walll that blocks off an area of beach for Rooms guests exclusively. There was actually a guy who sat outside the wall and he offered boat and jet ski rides but if you said no, he would just chat with you about something else. No pressuring. The same was true for the woman on site who sold souvenirs. She'd ask you to take a look but no pressure. Most of the people on the beach are like that and it was nice to take a walk and find people who remembered me from previous stays and just wanted to chat.

There aren't a lot of activities at Rooms, basically you make your own fun, but it's so convenient to so much that it's not hard to find something to do or walk a ways on the beach and find some fun or a fun spot to chill.

Rooms is in a great location on 7-Mile. You're within walking distance of a lot of the great night time spots like Roots Bamboo, Risky Business, Alfred's, 23/7 and the Jungle. There is a Cambio further down the road on the same side as Rooms, close to Times Square that offers good exchange rates if you're wanting to change some US$ to J$ (which is a good idea, cause sometimes you lose out on the exchange when buying things), otherwise my favorite choice is the Cambio in town near the roundabout across from Burger King. I also went over to the store across from Grand Pineapple and picked up snacks and drinks to supplement when I didn't want to go out and spend a lot or wasn't too hungry. With a collapsible cooler and the ice machine, it's perfect way to have drinks on hand.

The staff, from the front desk to the maids to the gardener to the restaurant waitresses, were really polite and friendly. Overall I had a wonderful time and would definitely stay here again.

Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

Rooms Negril is amazingly nice. The good points include:

Room: Clean, very spacious, air conditioning wins the limbo (how low can you go)

Restaurant: Reasonable continental breakfast, good bar, but for lunch and dinner go elsewhere because the menu is uninspiring and short.

Other: Good clean pool, beach area is wide and the hotel is back from the water line, security takes care of you without being at all intrusive (they track your comings and goings, if you leave with a Jamaican from the beach they make sure you will be safe), staff are friendly.

The only negative is easy to avoid. The man whom the hotel lets park a Junta Van by the hotel is dishonest. Bargaining is one thing (and I enjoy it) but picture this. We agreed on a trip price, took the trip, but upon return the driver claimed that was not the agreed price (the entire group knows it was). The driver refused to back off. He forced me to be rude and insist he is wrong. He still he didn’t back down. This is NOT bargaining it is LYING. He was insisting on much more than the package tour price.

• Stayed September 2009
Oakville Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Rooms, we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. Derwin at the Front Desk was great and bent over backwards to accommodate us. We did not encounter any dangerous situations and found that the people of Jamaica are friendly and respectful. If you do not want any of the wares they are selling, politely say no and they will leave you.

The best day we had was a road trip to Black River and Floyd's Pelican Bar and then over to YS Falls. Eric our driver was fantastic and made the day very special. Floyd's bar is in the middle of the sea and is a must - I've never seen anything like it - very special.

Also, take the glass bottom boat to the Caves for snorkelling and then over to Rick's Cafe - a great way to go.

The only thing that we would not recommend is dinner at the restaurant "Selina's" within the Rooms property, it was terrible - we gave it to the cats and they wouldn't even eat it. I mentioned this to the Owner and was advised he would make it up to us, but never seen him again.

Overall, it was great, the water was warm and beautiful, we also found a great jazz band at a nearby Charella Inn - a nice evening and the singer's were great - a nice change from Reggae - although we love Reggae.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

If you're reading reviews, chances are you're already leaning toward Rooms and are looking for the negatives to adjust or if there's any credible deal breakers. First off, this is a 3 star hotel. It's primary selling point is it's location right on the beach. They rake and clean the beach daily, as they do the pool so both are some of the better sections. Downtown is not too far away and a lot of good restaurants in easy walking distance.

The room was your standard hotel room with a few notable exceptions. The good is they include an safe since you won't ever want to carry all your money at once and travel documents can be safe, real coffee and a balcony. The bad: poor lighting, no alarm clock and few outlets. There's also no bath. There were 3 desk lamps in the room, but the room was always dark. Be sure to bring your own alarm for when you take a morning tour or the transport back to the airport. No deal breakers, but these are things they need to improve.

The restaurant was mediocre at best. They serve continental breakfast, but if you want something more, you should eat elsewhere. The staff were nice and they were willing to bring drinks to you on the beach, but I'd suggest finding another place to eat. The staff throughout were all nice for that matter, especially Gardinia (sp?).

"The wall" is also a subject of debate. The bad is it does cut the beach in half and if you're inside on a chair, you can't see the beach. The good is if you tire of the peddlers, you can retreat back inside and the wall can deter them (not block them out entirely). Security is there to ensure they don't cross the wall. If they added 18 -24 inches of sand inside, a lot of the issues could be resolved.

Other tips about Rooms, but also Negril in general.
Rooms is nice, but Negril itself is probably not for families or those who object to the other reason Negril is famous. If that's the case, pay the price for an all-inclusive or look for another island because there's no way to avoid it.
Take care of all your airport transfers and tours before you get there. The front desk is not a concierge service and it's not easy to just put things on a credit card while there.
Bring a soft cooler for convenience. Beer and groceries are cheapest at Value Master Grocery next to Scotia Bank downtown. Shamrocks is within walking distance if you don't want to go that far. Bottles have return deposits, so don't throw them away. Give them to those on the beach to pick up if you aren't going to return them yourself.
Sweet Spot is a great place to eat 100 feet toward downtown on the other side of the road. A steady stream of locals go there and you get good portions for a good price. Walk on the dirt driveway to avoid the taxis.
If you need a taxi, go outside on the road. Hotels charge a fee for them to come in, which they pass onto you. It's not hard to get one. A ride downtown should never be more than $5 from Rooms agree on the price before getting in. I got by telling them $5 firm including tip and it usually worked.
Bring bug repellent. The other side of the highway is a massive swamp. The bugs come out in force in the early evening, so be prepared.
Bring lots of small bills, especially $1s and $5s. Every service no matter how small is not free and they will let you know since they live on tips. Also, when you inevitably barter, don't expect change so maintain your bargaining power.
Remember that the peddlers are generally good people, just poor. Especially in the summer low season, they are desperately so. With fewer tourists on the beach, they will remember you, so don't say maybe later unless you mean it. Never let them put anything in your hands. If they do, they consider it sold and they will try hard to do so.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We did not feel safe especially at night. We were constantly approached by drug dealers with portable pharmacies. The hotel is located in the middle of stands that the locals use to sell their goods-kind of like a flea market. The restaurant selection was poor and walking on the beach at night was DANGEROUS. We were allowed into the Sandals area and realized that we should have booked there where it was protected, peaceful and desireable. We had and miserable time and by the second day we wished we were home. Unfortunately, this was our honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York/ Limebottom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

If you want to be right on the beach for an unbeleivable price this is theb place. The rooms are just decorated and clean as the all inclusives I have stayed in.

The Roots Cafe on the beach has the best juicy boneless jerk chicken I have ever had and the fried chicken is light and heavenly!!!

You can't go wrong.

There is no entertainment staff, but that is a plus for me.
The front desk and wait staff are courteous and wonderful and I just wish the housekeeper would have come earlier in the day.

Otherwise, in my opinion there is no place else to stay on the beach.

Thank you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril? Share your experiences!