“Wonderful Stay at Rooms Negril” 4 of 5 stars
Review of SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Save Saved
You added SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril to your Saves list
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   7-Mile Beach | Norman Manley Boulevard, PO Box 25, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #43 of 91 hotels in Negril
Oakville Ontario
“Wonderful Stay at Rooms Negril”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Rooms, we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. Derwin at the Front Desk was great and bent over backwards to accommodate us. We did not encounter any dangerous situations and found that the people of Jamaica are friendly and respectful. If you do not want any of the wares they are selling, politely say no and they will leave you.

The best day we had was a road trip to Black River and Floyd's Pelican Bar and then over to YS Falls. Eric our driver was fantastic and made the day very special. Floyd's bar is in the middle of the sea and is a must - I've never seen anything like it - very special.

Also, take the glass bottom boat to the Caves for snorkelling and then over to Rick's Cafe - a great way to go.

The only thing that we would not recommend is dinner at the restaurant "Selina's" within the Rooms property, it was terrible - we gave it to the cats and they wouldn't even eat it. I mentioned this to the Owner and was advised he would make it up to us, but never seen him again.

Overall, it was great, the water was warm and beautiful, we also found a great jazz band at a nearby Charella Inn - a nice evening and the singer's were great - a nice change from Reggae - although we love Reggae.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

If you're reading reviews, chances are you're already leaning toward Rooms and are looking for the negatives to adjust or if there's any credible deal breakers. First off, this is a 3 star hotel. It's primary selling point is it's location right on the beach. They rake and clean the beach daily, as they do the pool so both are some of the better sections. Downtown is not too far away and a lot of good restaurants in easy walking distance.

The room was your standard hotel room with a few notable exceptions. The good is they include an safe since you won't ever want to carry all your money at once and travel documents can be safe, real coffee and a balcony. The bad: poor lighting, no alarm clock and few outlets. There's also no bath. There were 3 desk lamps in the room, but the room was always dark. Be sure to bring your own alarm for when you take a morning tour or the transport back to the airport. No deal breakers, but these are things they need to improve.

The restaurant was mediocre at best. They serve continental breakfast, but if you want something more, you should eat elsewhere. The staff were nice and they were willing to bring drinks to you on the beach, but I'd suggest finding another place to eat. The staff throughout were all nice for that matter, especially Gardinia (sp?).

"The wall" is also a subject of debate. The bad is it does cut the beach in half and if you're inside on a chair, you can't see the beach. The good is if you tire of the peddlers, you can retreat back inside and the wall can deter them (not block them out entirely). Security is there to ensure they don't cross the wall. If they added 18 -24 inches of sand inside, a lot of the issues could be resolved.

Other tips about Rooms, but also Negril in general.
Rooms is nice, but Negril itself is probably not for families or those who object to the other reason Negril is famous. If that's the case, pay the price for an all-inclusive or look for another island because there's no way to avoid it.
Take care of all your airport transfers and tours before you get there. The front desk is not a concierge service and it's not easy to just put things on a credit card while there.
Bring a soft cooler for convenience. Beer and groceries are cheapest at Value Master Grocery next to Scotia Bank downtown. Shamrocks is within walking distance if you don't want to go that far. Bottles have return deposits, so don't throw them away. Give them to those on the beach to pick up if you aren't going to return them yourself.
Sweet Spot is a great place to eat 100 feet toward downtown on the other side of the road. A steady stream of locals go there and you get good portions for a good price. Walk on the dirt driveway to avoid the taxis.
If you need a taxi, go outside on the road. Hotels charge a fee for them to come in, which they pass onto you. It's not hard to get one. A ride downtown should never be more than $5 from Rooms agree on the price before getting in. I got by telling them $5 firm including tip and it usually worked.
Bring bug repellent. The other side of the highway is a massive swamp. The bugs come out in force in the early evening, so be prepared.
Bring lots of small bills, especially $1s and $5s. Every service no matter how small is not free and they will let you know since they live on tips. Also, when you inevitably barter, don't expect change so maintain your bargaining power.
Remember that the peddlers are generally good people, just poor. Especially in the summer low season, they are desperately so. With fewer tourists on the beach, they will remember you, so don't say maybe later unless you mean it. Never let them put anything in your hands. If they do, they consider it sold and they will try hard to do so.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We did not feel safe especially at night. We were constantly approached by drug dealers with portable pharmacies. The hotel is located in the middle of stands that the locals use to sell their goods-kind of like a flea market. The restaurant selection was poor and walking on the beach at night was DANGEROUS. We were allowed into the Sandals area and realized that we should have booked there where it was protected, peaceful and desireable. We had and miserable time and by the second day we wished we were home. Unfortunately, this was our honeymoon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York/ Limebottom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2009

If you want to be right on the beach for an unbeleivable price this is theb place. The rooms are just decorated and clean as the all inclusives I have stayed in.

The Roots Cafe on the beach has the best juicy boneless jerk chicken I have ever had and the fried chicken is light and heavenly!!!

You can't go wrong.

There is no entertainment staff, but that is a plus for me.
The front desk and wait staff are courteous and wonderful and I just wish the housekeeper would have come earlier in the day.

Otherwise, in my opinion there is no place else to stay on the beach.

Thank you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the SuperClubs Rooms in Negril. My stay was interesting. I found the staff very friendly, talkative, and always willing to be of service. There was one particular staff member that really stood out. His name was Calvin. or maybe Kelvin. This young man really went out of his way to ensure that we enjoyed our stay. Always polite, and smiling. The rooms were a lot cleaner than some of the other hotels in Negril. They were also a lot roomier. I stayed in a family room. It was quite large, however, I do not recommend that anyone over the age of 5 sleep on the let out couch. It was quite uncomfortable. I personally had some issues with the services from the maid. My mirrors were not cleaned, our sheets had sand in them, but once we complained the issues were addressed. The continental breakfast left a lot to be desired. We only ate lunch at the hotel. The food was good, but the portions were very small. The pool area was always clean. I was a little disappointed that there was no hot tub in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Ok so we were just there in April of ths year! We had such a great time the we had to go back my only regret is that we didn't stay longer:( The one girl that we had a problem with at the resturant was acutally friendlier this time around! I now understand why they are so...their boss is a major...one thing they took the suggestions well I was happy to see the menu in J$ I still prefer the resturant across the street "Sweet Spot" Thank you to the wonderful and friendly staff at rooms we got the down time we wanted and I spent some much deserved down time with my boo... I will definately see you all soon!! Muuuaaah!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

My recent stay at Room Negril proved that you can get more than you pay for. The resort is small, cozy, and located directly on 7-mile beach. Rooms has built a beach within their property that allows guest to enjoy privacy from the many vendors on 7-mile beach with easy access to the sea. What a concept! The rooms are clean and modern with flat screen tv''s and glassed in showers. Several group members reserved garden view rooms only to find out that their gardenview room included a partial ocean view. The staff was friendly and accomodating. An error by the reservation staff for SuperClubs was unexpectedly corrected by the resort, without my asking, which really impressed me. The continental breakfast was adequate and overall the food was good. I would return individually and I will bring another group to Rooms in the future.

• Stayed July 2009

Been to SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril? Share your experiences!