“Good Vibrations” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Berlin, Germany
“Good Vibrations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

a very inspiring place, upon the hills, with fondly prepared carribian plant´s, whith nice view on the ocean. sue and her stuff are very very nice person´s. me njoy the stay there for relax and inspiration. young people can get experinace for socialising.
need to deal with the taxi drives to get there :) really recomand for stay one week ore more.
big hug to sue and miss h. greets egbert

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Judyhousesue, Owner at Judy House Cottages, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Big hugs back to you from both of us. Many thanks for taking the time to review us, wonderful that you did. Very much enjoyed you being here and hope we see you back again soon. One Love!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The Judy House is very welcoming with island colors, shade trees, tropical gardens, hammocks, large tables, 2 bathrooms with showers, kitchen, and an honesty bar (where we could get our own snacks, fruit, water, juice, or a Red Stripe at any time and pay later). There are at least 6 different areas where you can kick up your feet and relax or hang out. It is well-maintained; the concrete walkways are swept regularly, rooms were fresh and inviting, bathrooms were clean and stocked, and the gardens were tended to after a rain. Sue has several people employed at intervals to keep everything nice, including night security who brought a rogue cell phone up to the desk to be claimed. Beyond having the inspiring grounds, the most lovely Sue is incredible. Her friendship, ease, wisdom, and knowledge of the area were a great resource, and I would love to see her again. She is also happy to take you to some great places and tell you what's going on with a sweet British accent. We had a very comfortable stay in January and did not need the fan. As is typical in Jamaica, the grounds are fenced and gated. Our room had a small safe, which was nice, but we felt very secure, and the other guests were wonderful as well.
The Judy House is a 5 minute walk up from the main road, where there is an excellent restaurant overlooking the sea called Canoe's, there is also a convenience mart. A cab to 7 Mile Beach is very cheap, and if you want, you can walk there in about 20-25 minutes. There are other places in walking distance, cabs everywhere on main road, and of course Sue is available for local trips, tours, and errands. She can also arrange other tours for you, and had a ride for us from Montego Bay Airport. All at an amazing price! Thank you Sue, I'll be back! Janna and Jen

Room Tip: Rooms on the gate side are quieter because a rooster lives at the property on the other side.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brilliant review thank so much! Great detail too that is so useful for future travelers. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay so much, I love to hear that all the work we put in works! Thank you for taking the time to write your review, hope the se you back again one day. One Love!
Sturbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had one of the best trips staying at the Judy House, I do not know how to fit it into a short paragraph. Sue was awesome where she made sure her guests were always content and always offered different daily activities, and even joined us (myself and other guests) on some day trips. I chose to stay in one of the cabins, which was so adorable, clean, and way nicer then I would ever expected at a hostel. I loved that the options were cabins, beds, single rooms, or hammocks, there was something there for everyone. The atmosphere was awesome where the guests could sit around and bond very comfortably. Sue's gardens are awesome, and her whole hostel was very safe, and private. I did not feel like a tourist staying here, and when I venture back to Negril I will most definitely be staying at the Judy House again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
So glad you had such a great trip and thank you for the lovely comments in your review. Great you took time to write it, it means so much. Looking forward to seeing you back one day. One Love!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I really enjoyed Staying at the Judy House, is a place where you can chill down and enjoy the nature environment. Sue is super cool and extremely helpful. Definitively very recommended Thanks Sue for all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Many thanks for your review, glad to be of help, hope to see you back in Jamaica again one day. One Love !
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

As our vacation in Negril becomes distant in time, the memories of our stay at the Judy House Cottages, the friendship we formed with Sue and all the help we received from her staff will always be fresh with us.

If you are looking for a place that offers a true sense of Jamaica and it's natural beauty, look no further than the Judy House Cottages. My husband and I rented one of the little houses and our son stayed in the hostel section of the property. The 11 days we spent there was a perfect mix of privacy and socializing with people from all over the world. Sue was not only generous with her time and resources, but also a wonderful companion during our evenings on the porch or beach escapades. She showed us a lot of interesting spots for food, relaxation and fun.

Those who seek out a less touristy location, mingling with the people of Jamaica and getting to know the culture must book there. Perhaps the space is a little more rustic that photos show, but everything is very clean, well organized and comfortable.

Lastly, we hope to be back in Negril next year and stay at the Judy House for at least few days. We made many friends who are local to the area so seeing them again will give us much joy!

As for Sue, she is one of a kind. James, Luke and I feel fortunate that our paths have crossed.

As she says "one love"... until next time beautiful Negril!!!

Monika

P.S. If you love dogs, Browning will steal your heart. What a sweet, smart and funny girl she is.

Room Tip: We loved staying at Kim's Cottage... it was perfect for the two of us.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I also feel happy our paths crossed, especially at the Judy House. You guys were such fun and very interesting people too. I loved the dedication you had to finding 'dads' old haunts & friends in Jamaica from all those years ago. And with a teenager born out of a marriage, whose parents met in Jamaica when they lived thousands of miles away from each other. Funny my son, his wife and my soon to be born grandchild had the same experience too! Hope to see you again soon, maybe in Boston! Thanks so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review . One Love
Somerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've stayed in hostels from New Orleans to Morocco, but few have matched the amenities or the staff that I found at the Judy House.

The property is unique in that it mixes private cottage rentals with a backpacker hostel in the back. I stayed at the backpacker section. Although at 35 I'm hardly a "youth", when I'm on the road solo I enjoy the informal hostel atmosphere which allows one to meet fellow travelers from around the world.

The beautiful grounds contain many gorgeous flowers. I also appreciated that, contrary to the harmful environmental practices of most Jamaican resorts, the Judy House educates its guests about the limited resources available in Jamaica and encourages things like putting excess water into the garden so it isn't wasteful.

One of the options at the Judy House is the small single room with shared bathroom, which was perfect for my needs. It isn't a large hostel so I never actually had to wait to use the bathroom. I also appreciated that a mop allowed each shared bathroom user to tidy up -- resulting in the cleanest hostel bathroom I've ever used.

Owner Miss Sue picked me from the bus station for a very reasonable sum and then showed me how to use Negril's "route taxi" transit system. At the end of the trip she figured out that three of us were going to Montego Bay, which cut my shuttle service cost by a third.

Among her many excellent suggestions were a breakfast place which served the best food I ate on my entire trip.

The cleaning, maintenance and overnight security staff were great as well. One afternoon I was walking up the hill from the main road and the cleaning woman was coming down. She intercepted me and excitedly informed me about everyone who had left, everyone who had checked in, and where they were from. Each night the evening watchman socialized with all the guests - we had a particularly nice time listening to reggae recordings from the past sixty years that another guest was playing on his phone speakers. It made me appreciate how the staff views the guests as extended family.

I was in Jamaica for far too short a time. When I return the first thing I'll do is book another stay at the Judy House.

Room Tip: Some of the hostel rooms have windows that face the area used for socializing, so if you have an ear...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
So happy you enjoyed you stay so much, your review is amazing and will be so useful to other travelers too. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it in such great detail! Hope to see you here again one day. One Love .. Sue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Judy's Cottages. My husband and I flew down from New York and it was very worth it. We stayed in Judy's Cottage -- the smaller and more private of the two cottages. Loved it! Spent many hours lying in the front porch hammock. The mattress is a little lumpy, my husband had a little trouble sleeping one night. Sue is a great host. She even drove us and some of the other hostellers to All Natural, a wonderful breakfast place. Thank you again, Sue!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your long weekend, lucky you to be close enough to Jamaica to do that. Looked at the bed and replaced the mattress, thanks for the feedback! Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to see you back again one day for another long weekend or full vacation? One Love .. Sue

Been to Judy House Cottages? Share your experiences!