“Excellent chillout place in Jamaica” 5 of 5 stars

Judy House Cottages
Westland Mountain Road | Off West End, Negril, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Negril
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent chillout place in Jamaica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I really enjoyed Staying at the Judy House, is a place where you can chill down and enjoy the nature environment. Sue is super cool and extremely helpful. Definitively very recommended Thanks Sue for all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Judyhousesue, Owner at Judy House Cottages, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Many thanks for your review, glad to be of help, hope to see you back in Jamaica again one day. One Love !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

As our vacation in Negril becomes distant in time, the memories of our stay at the Judy House Cottages, the friendship we formed with Sue and all the help we received from her staff will always be fresh with us.

If you are looking for a place that offers a true sense of Jamaica and it's natural beauty, look no further than the Judy House Cottages. My husband and I rented one of the little houses and our son stayed in the hostel section of the property. The 11 days we spent there was a perfect mix of privacy and socializing with people from all over the world. Sue was not only generous with her time and resources, but also a wonderful companion during our evenings on the porch or beach escapades. She showed us a lot of interesting spots for food, relaxation and fun.

Those who seek out a less touristy location, mingling with the people of Jamaica and getting to know the culture must book there. Perhaps the space is a little more rustic that photos show, but everything is very clean, well organized and comfortable.

Lastly, we hope to be back in Negril next year and stay at the Judy House for at least few days. We made many friends who are local to the area so seeing them again will give us much joy!

As for Sue, she is one of a kind. James, Luke and I feel fortunate that our paths have crossed.

As she says "one love"... until next time beautiful Negril!!!

Monika

P.S. If you love dogs, Browning will steal your heart. What a sweet, smart and funny girl she is.

Room Tip: We loved staying at Kim's Cottage... it was perfect for the two of us.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
I also feel happy our paths crossed, especially at the Judy House. You guys were such fun and very interesting people too. I loved the dedication you had to finding 'dads' old haunts & friends in Jamaica from all those years ago. And with a teenager born out of a marriage, whose parents met in Jamaica when they lived thousands of miles away from each other. Funny my son, his wife and my soon to be born grandchild had the same experience too! Hope to see you again soon, maybe in Boston! Thanks so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review . One Love
Somerville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I've stayed in hostels from New Orleans to Morocco, but few have matched the amenities or the staff that I found at the Judy House.

The property is unique in that it mixes private cottage rentals with a backpacker hostel in the back. I stayed at the backpacker section. Although at 35 I'm hardly a "youth", when I'm on the road solo I enjoy the informal hostel atmosphere which allows one to meet fellow travelers from around the world.

The beautiful grounds contain many gorgeous flowers. I also appreciated that, contrary to the harmful environmental practices of most Jamaican resorts, the Judy House educates its guests about the limited resources available in Jamaica and encourages things like putting excess water into the garden so it isn't wasteful.

One of the options at the Judy House is the small single room with shared bathroom, which was perfect for my needs. It isn't a large hostel so I never actually had to wait to use the bathroom. I also appreciated that a mop allowed each shared bathroom user to tidy up -- resulting in the cleanest hostel bathroom I've ever used.

Owner Miss Sue picked me from the bus station for a very reasonable sum and then showed me how to use Negril's "route taxi" transit system. At the end of the trip she figured out that three of us were going to Montego Bay, which cut my shuttle service cost by a third.

Among her many excellent suggestions were a breakfast place which served the best food I ate on my entire trip.

The cleaning, maintenance and overnight security staff were great as well. One afternoon I was walking up the hill from the main road and the cleaning woman was coming down. She intercepted me and excitedly informed me about everyone who had left, everyone who had checked in, and where they were from. Each night the evening watchman socialized with all the guests - we had a particularly nice time listening to reggae recordings from the past sixty years that another guest was playing on his phone speakers. It made me appreciate how the staff views the guests as extended family.

I was in Jamaica for far too short a time. When I return the first thing I'll do is book another stay at the Judy House.

Room Tip: Some of the hostel rooms have windows that face the area used for socializing, so if you have an ear...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
So happy you enjoyed you stay so much, your review is amazing and will be so useful to other travelers too. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it in such great detail! Hope to see you here again one day. One Love .. Sue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Just returned from a long weekend trip to Judy's Cottages. My husband and I flew down from New York and it was very worth it. We stayed in Judy's Cottage -- the smaller and more private of the two cottages. Loved it! Spent many hours lying in the front porch hammock. The mattress is a little lumpy, my husband had a little trouble sleeping one night. Sue is a great host. She even drove us and some of the other hostellers to All Natural, a wonderful breakfast place. Thank you again, Sue!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
So glad you enjoyed your long weekend, lucky you to be close enough to Jamaica to do that. Looked at the bed and replaced the mattress, thanks for the feedback! Many thanks for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to see you back again one day for another long weekend or full vacation? One Love .. Sue
Banff National Park, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I loved every moment of staying at the hostel. it felt like it was a little out of town at the start but once I got to know the area it was great to have the town and beach close enough to walk to but also to go home and have so much peace and quiet away from everything. Sue was great with answering any questions or concerns I had as I was a solo female traveller. I felt very safe in the neighborhood. If you get a chance join the locals at their church on a Sunday morning it was the most amazing thing to be apart of and they were beyond happy to have us there!

• Stayed December 2013
Judyhousesue, Owner at Judy House Cottages, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Love that you all went to church! It was so appreciated by the community. Enjoyed your company too, very much. Hope you and my other Banff guest get to link up when back at work! Thanks for taking the time to write your review so soon after you got back. One Love
Gdansk, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

That was an amazing experiance to stay in Judy's House. Sue is such a wonderfull and welcoming person. The atmosphere in hostel was fantastic. The garden and hamacks were so relaxing. Hostel is little away from seven miles beach (which I found too crowdy and little bit too noisy), so I was really glad to be there. Thank you Sue for a fantastic time I had in Judys house. I really enjoyed it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you writing the review and hope you enjoyed/still enjoying the rest of your travels around Jamaica and the world. All the hammocks have certainly been a big hit with everyone this year, glad you spend time relaxing in them too. Very please to hear you enjoyed your stay here so much, it was also great to have you around. One Love !
Sorel, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We were in Negril for 3 days after being in montego bay and we loved it right away. We first went to Judy's house and fell in love with the place, it was what exactly want we needed after a less charming stay in Mobay. Sue (the host) is an amazing person to have when you first arrive in Jamaica. She knows where to go and how it can be overwhelming to be in that country when you are not used to it and she can give you some tips on that. The place is safe and the rooms and bathroom are clean. There is wi-fi, wich is not always the case in hostels in Jamaica. The location is amazing, directly in between the "tourist area" with the beach and resorts and the "local area" with more bars and restaurants. There is a local bar at the end of the hostel's street and it's one of my favorite place for my whole trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Love that you "fell in love" with my place, really enjoyed having you here too. An important of what I set out to achieve in both this and other businesses I have had here is enabling positive interaction between local people and guests. Helping guests enjoy the 'real Jamaica' is something I really enjoy doing. Many thanks for taking the time to review me and my place. One Love !

Been to Judy House Cottages? Share your experiences!