“Staff is nice, Restaurant is horrible” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Save Saved
You added Negril Palms Hotel to your Saves list
Negril Palms Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril, Jamaica (Formerly The Palms Resort)   |
Ranked #53 of 91 Hotels in Negril
“Staff is nice, Restaurant is horrible”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Was at the Palms for 9 days in June and July. Staff was very pleasant, nice and overall good. The restaurant is horrible. the food is overprice, the food don't taste good and the Restaurant Manager mess up my order of food 2 days in a row. I decided not to eat there no more. One major issue I had. They have a hired taxi driver that is on site by the gate. Who drives taxi for Negril Palms and also opens and shut the gate as security. This Taxi man had a issue with me bringing local ladies back to the hotel. These local ladies I knew already. He had a mouth on him and he wouldnt open the door for me, but did it for the other guests. He was mad that a american was messing with the local ladies.I went to the property manager about this. The property manager was very nice and took care of immediately. The follow day all the guard open the gate door Immediately when they seen me

Room Tip: Don't eat at the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The hotel has a fantastic location, is incredibly affordable, and there are only a few things that should be remedied and this would be a topnotch experience.

1. Value for money
You get a 3½ star hotel for less than a 2 star - super value (just dont buy anything else but the room there)

2. Nice newly renovated rooms. Missing a phone but other than that it was ok. Stayed in 205. No problems with noise whatsoever. I mean you can hear neighbours on the veranda, of course.

3. Safety not an issue at all in my view. In room safe which was a little banged op, but safe enough, and the locks were ok to the room. Dont leave anything of value laying around though. Put it all in the safe, just to be sure.

4. Yes, there are vendors at the beach, but they understand a smile and a polite "no, man, I am alright". Dont expect the staff to keep them at bay - you are at the beach on front of the hotel, but other than that you are on your own. Having said that it is not a problem. Just keep saying "no" and be sure to make them understand that you mean it.

5. Front desk - oh where do I begin? They seriously need to learn to give an appropriate service, when it doesnt cost anything for them. I had contacted the hotel in January prior to my arrival in July, just to make sure I got a newly renovated room away from the NMB on the second floor. The initial room I was given was 202, which is the second to the NMB, so needless to say I had to go to the front desk. She gave me a "It is subject to availability at the time of reservation" standard reply, to which I just gave her a "Glad you said that - do you really mean to tell me, that you were all booked up 6 months ago???" after which she put me in 205, which was available. Question is - why not just give it to me to begin with, when I even told her about the email that they had replied to with a positive answer back in Janaury instead of trying to sell 202 as a room in the middle of the hotel. I dont get it - but hey at least she caved and gave me a better room.

6. Bar/restaurant: Dont use them AT ALL. If an establishment like this cannot survive on Juicys pricelevel plus 10% servicecharge, then people go to Juicys. The only way to make them understand this is to not consume anything by the bar or in the hotel restaurant.

7. Beach: Wonderful. Wish the staff got up as early as we did around 6 o´clock, and why on earth arent any of the restaurants on this beach open for breakfast before 8.30???

So many opportunites for this hotel, that it is just a waste to see the staff fail and general price level for anything but the room is overpriced - even compared to top restaurants in the area, which it doesnt come near to.

They could do so much better, if they adjusted the price level to their surroundings in bar and restaurant and marketed it on the beach it self.

If you want an affordable and nice place to stay at the beach though, this is by a mile the best choice you will make in Negril.

Room Tip: As other people say: Away from the main road and on the second floor. It works just fine.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Merritt, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We spent four days here in June, the location is actually perfect but the rooms could use a little TLC. They are very dark and dank inside. The balcony: (We were on the bottom floor) offer little privacy as the path is right beside it and people are walking by constantly. The pool as described in other posts is NOT dirty but rather needs to be painted. Cute pool. The service here for lack of a better term, sucks. There is never anyone at the bar to help you, we waited 15 mins and finally went looking for someone. To no avail do not know where they were hiding but customer service here really needs a boost. There was a family waiting at the bar to order food after a long flight in and their was some choice words flying when the bartender finally showed up. The food is extremely pricy here and we ate once and then hit the beach for our other meals. Beer is pricey to and you can get one a few doors down for less than 2 dollars at Aunties pattie shack, patties are amazing and a great lobster dinner for 20 dollars.Also Juicy's cotton tree restaurant offer a good breakfast as well a few doors down to left. All in all it was not a bad place to stay for the price, it just needs a good overhaul: from staff to maintenance.

Room Tip: Maybe get a room on an upper floor for privacy.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Houma, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for 5 days, when we arrived it was after dark, driving up to the resort wasn't what I expected... just not big and fancy, drove up to a big gate. The guy at the gate gave us our room key, although the room was nice it was the wrong one, next morning everything was fixed with no problems!! The resort is small( only 34 rooms) which is peaceful! Very small staff tho! The ladies at the bar are the same ladies in the restaurant! Food and drinks were amazing! We didn't have problems with any bugs, only issues we had was the room took a while to kool off. Beach and water was perfect, all beach chairs have unnbrella and they supply towles. Only complaint would be the people selling stuff while your on the beach, which is everywhere not just at the palms, after a while we just learned to say we already have some, after that they just walked away. DO NOT WALK THE BEACH AT NIGHT. Had a local tell us that, second to last night the power went out at dinner and we had to walk back to our resort and it didn't feel safe because u couldn't see around u and people were coming up to sell stuff. And weed is everywhere, if your anything like me ( I hate the smell) pretty much the only thing I didn't care for. The palms took great care of us! Jamaica is paradise! Negril was perfection for me, everything I hoped and more, front desk was extremely helpful with booking excursions. If you do anything while in jamaica, a must is ricks cafe, even if u don't jump it's a place to see!! Go around 3 and stay until sunset! I give the palms a total 4 rating only because if it would've been all inclusive it would've been a 5!! No one likes to care money around all the time, and only one resterant and no entertainment..

• Stayed June 2014
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel was at the quiet end of the 7 mile beach, which is absolutely glorious. Sun beds, beach towels and ice available for free (you appreciate the small things when your hot and bothered). You also get free wifi which was a godsend!

Check-in is from 3pm and you have to check out by 12pm but they dont make a fuss if your a few minutes late checking out. We didn't check out until about 12.30 and it was absolutely fine.

Check-in was straight forward, quick and painless, which says alot for Jamaica, the rooms was nice and spacious with great air con. We had a family room for 3 of us which had 2 queen size beds, an iron and ironing board, ice bucket and cable tv. Basic but all the necessary requirements was there. You also get a lock for the safe. We never had any theft issues, but do not leave anything out on display, including jewellery or any other valuable items.

The layout was great for access to the beach and nearby restaurants. The hotel restaurant was good, but you can get cheaper across the road off site at T&A Restaurant and Lounge or next door at Juicy's. Unfortunately at Juicy's the food takes forever, the dinner is very good but the breakfast not so great. We asked for more serviettes and waitress informed us there was none left, but then proceeded to return with an open roll of toilet roll! Yuk....... Who does that! I was not amused and asked her to remove it from our table, but apart from that the food is actually quite good. I personally preferred T&A, which is literally across the road and 200 yards up on the left, but it is a local restaurant and the menu is limited, but the staff are lovely, large portions, very reasonable and great for a quick bite.

When you come out onto the beach, main activities are down to the left heading towards Ricks Cafe, which is a must do while in Negrill. The nightlife was limited but its all happening on the beach. Local shops close early so if you want a late evening meal, stick with the hotels in the area. It is not recommended to walk the streets at night, especially if you are a tourist.

Room Tip: Ground floor for easy access. No lifts available for those located upstairs, so if you have any iss...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My husband and I decided to spend the last few days here at Negril Palms and ENJOYED it very much! The room was upstairs and very clean and the air made the room cool....actually could of used a blanket!! Housekeeping everyday along with clean towels & linen! Staff was very friendly and helpful!

The bar was very relaxing and loved watching the sunset from it! Beach was ready with chairs although busy still was able to get chairs.

The only disappointment was the food...glad we only ate one meal there because our dinner was dry and no flavor not to mention pricey. Upset that there was no fish available. ...????....we are surrounded by it not to mention the menu had multiple fish options.

Overall will def be back!!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The staff is great and very accommodating. The hotel is clean and perfectly centered on the beach. The food at the restaurant was good. The beds were comfortable. It had the perfect Beachy feel. The most recently updated rooms are the best for sure. The security guys and beach staff was very helpful and super friendly. The drinks at the bar were great! The pool was clean and perfect temperature. It was a GREAT experience and I will for sure stay there again, I have also referred this hotel to all my friends that visit Jamaica.

Room Tip: The newer remodeled rooms are a must.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Negril Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!