“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 90 Hotels in Negril
Fort Mitchell, Alabama
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at Moon Dance because we didn't want to stay at Beaches for a wedding we were attending. When we arrived we pretty much had the entire resort to ourselves! There were maybe three other couples that we rarely saw. The food at the sports bar and restaurant was pretty satisfying. They give you nice portions. My favorite meal was the traditional Jamaican breakfast. The suite was clean and gorgeous. We stayed in a suite towards the end of the building with a hot tub on the outside. Housekeeping always did a great job with leaving extra towels and tidying up. We also had an ocean view. The view was the most amazing and the hotel grounds are really nice. The wait staff were very friendly and inquisitive. The gym was a bit raggedy and could use some updating (old, rusty equipment from being in the open air) but who really goes on vacation to workout? I did most of my workouts in the suite anyways LOL. If we ever had a request for transportation or any issues the short Richard (sorry forgot your last name) took great care of us. He was always polite, calm, and helpful. We probably won't return to Jamaica but if we did we'd stay here again. I think having the resort to ourselves without the bother of a huge wedding party being present made it much more enjoyable. We were really catered too as it should be while on vacation.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can afford it. The suite is much nicer than the standard room (décor, mor...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We didn't stay at Moon Dance Cliffts but attempted to scout out the place for a future trip, since it was highly recommended. For clarification, we were looking for a place for our parents to stay while coming to Negril for our wedding - what was important to us was their comfort. Air Conditioning, cable TV, onsite luxuries as they may not be as comfortable as we are with Negril.

Honestly, the walk from the Lighthouse continued to become more littered and the location of Moon Dance seemed a little odd, since we felt like we were getting further and further away from everything. I remember thinking during the walk that our folks might feel uncomfortable driving so far away from the "west end". Nonetheless we wanted to give it a chance, since we had already walked a considerable distance from where we were staying (Citronella).

We were greeted by a young gal who at first tried to dismiss us, but once we explained why we were there, she allowed us to sit in a chair in the lobby. I asked if we could LOOK at the view and she basically told me no, allowing me to walk only a short distance beyond the front desk.

From our limited perspective, this place does not feel like it is worth the money (any money)... The location, the greeting, the grounds and the vibe was sub par. We did not feel like we were greeting in the Jamaican way. We left disappointed.

Although we showed up in the off season, we don't understand how Moon Dance could not have taking the time to show us around. We had communicated our intent, and we were clearly there with the express interest of coming back to spend money.

We did leave with a flyer though...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leesville, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I spent about a week here and had a blast. The staff was very nice and catered to our every need. Also the grounds and the surroundings were well kept. The food and the rooms were amazing. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to any of my friends looking for a relaxing and care free vacation. My wife and I plan to go back very soon.

Room Tip: Plan activities ahead of time. There's lots to do but if you are new to the area you may be over...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I were married at MDC this past May 11, 2013 and we cannot say enough about our INCREDIBLE, perfect, and fairy tale stay and wedding at MDC. Not a detail was overlooked! I would consider myself a picky bride when it comes to details and Moon Dance exceeded all of my expectations. Our guests could not have been happier, even those who were skeptics about destination weddings- I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the word "perfect" as they described their time and stay at MDC.

There are quite a few things that my husband and I were specifically very happy with, so I’ll go by category! I also want to mention a few minor, minor downsides. That being said, I would not have done my wedding ANYWHERE else and if I had to do it all again I would not skip a beat before picking Moon Dance Cliffs again because it was perfect. But there are a few things that prospective brides should know and that maybe even MDC can improve on!

1. The resort- I will never forget the first night when we arrived at Moon Dance late and stepped onto the resort and looked out down the property towards the water. My husband and I could not believe our eyes. This was ours for our wedding?! The gardens were lush and beautiful (the grounds staff work so hard and I don’t think ever get tipped- tip them!) fountains everywhere, beautifully manicured, and the buildings were simply exquisite. If they don't have the fountains turned on when you get there, just ask and they will turn them on. The way the cliffs meet the water is completely breathtaking (and you can jump off the cliffs- so fun!) and the wedding gazebo is in a cliffside sunset location to die for. You really feel like you are on your own private island. We spent most of our time in our honeymoon villa (Poinciana) and in our family's villa (Ironwood) and in the wedding party "party house" (Midnight Cove). The villas are the crown jewel of this resort. Modern, impeccably clean and beautiful, comfortable, and posh. The beds are firm and comfortable, too. The pools are gorgeous and I cannot say enough good things about the swim up bar!!! So lovely and relaxing and our guests spent the entire day there sometimes. The ONLY thing I can say about the grounds- and you may have seen this in other reviews it is true- is that the in-ground hot tubs never worked right, both at our private villas and the ones near the main pools. They tried to get them working for us multiple times but they never did, or they would work briefly and then stop working again. Not sure what the issue is. That was disappointing :/ Moon Dance should get to the root of that! However, the hot tubs on the decks of the rooms like MC worked great.

2. THE SERVICE. The staff at Moon Dance are incredible. We were treated like kings and queens- it absolutely made the experience and the staff bent over backwards to make our dreams come true.

I have to specifically talk about our butler Kerry. Kerry is a GEM. She made our stay. She is honestly one of the kindest people I have ever met and she is just beautiful inside and out. She was right there with us, smiling and sharing our joy. The first night we got there, it was late and we were starving after our 12-hour trip from California. Kerry was still there and called our shuttle driver on our drive over to take a food order for us. When we arrived at our resort, she had a beautiful private dinner waiting for us on our villa's porch. What a welcome. From that day forward she was there every second we needed her. She was there helping me get ready on wedding day, right behind me to fluff my train just as I turned to walk down the aisle, and she and our maid (I forget her name but she was a sweetie!) even decorated our wedding villa with rose petals everywhere and champagne to come back to after the wedding left the sweetest note for us. We will never forget Kerry!

Moon Dance is also home to some of the best and funniest bartenders anywhere. Specifically, Hasan and "Johnnie Walker" as he called himself. They are part of the reason why you stay at the pool bar all day. I could watch their antics forever. They laugh, dance, and carry on in a way that just makes you want to have as much fun as they are having, and they make sure you do. The drinks are SO GOOD, and they don't skimp on the alcohol. Hasan and Johnnie Walker, you guys rock!!!

I can't miss our beautiful and sweet hair dressers, nail artists, and make up extraordinaires Alicia and Simone. Alicia and Simone were incredibly kind and personal and did nails, hair, and makeup for all of my wedding party, moms, and many other guests. Alicia did a trial run with my hair and makeup and put up with me changing my mind 4 times about my hair! She was so patient and flexible. I even told Alicia one day how much I loved mangos- and it was mango season- she comes back the next day with a huge bag of mangos for me from her backyard. WOW! Simone did an excellent job on my mani and pedi, and I loved sitting there and talking with her. These girls have such heart.

We also all had GREAT massages! Courtney was excellent!

The managers- both named Robert- were great! The general manager Robert introduced himself to us the first night and was always around keeping watch on the resort to make sure everything was going smoothly. Robert the assistant manager was always around, jolly and smiling, and making sure we were taken care of and happy.

3. Kerry, the wedding planner, did a wonderful job planning our wedding with me and was right there with us the whole day to make sure everything went perfectly. The only thing is that she can be quite hard to get a hold of. She didn't respond to some of my emails for weeks sometimes, and it took me asking 3-4 times on some things. Now I can only imagine how busy she is as the sole wedding planner at both Moon Dance Cliffs and at Moon Dance Villas, so I definitely give her credit! That being said she will get back to you, and she will be flexible and will always find a way to work with you and say "yes". Just ask again if you haven't heard back from her and you need an answer. You can also call the resort to get a hold of her and they will find her for you and even call her cell if you need an answer right away. They were great about that. I am very happy with her service.

4. Cake and Flowers. Loved Margaret Myrie for the cake- beautiful and so tasty! And she gave us a stellar deal. She was such a sweetie. She would clarify everything nicely over email and was so easy to work with. Rosemarie with Floral Fantasies did a fabulous job as well- I was in awe of her beautiful work- it was perfect. Every little detail was exactly how we had decided upon. She was also very organized and easy to work with, very explicit over email with all the details. I also very much appreciate that she worked within my budget and made great suggestions to keep cost down when I asked. Highly recommend.

5. Photography- I had my own photographer come from the states- Samantha Jovan Photography. But she’d love to travel back to Jamaica ☺ samanthajovanphotography.com. Sam is absolutely an incredible artist in her work and I have an entire separate glowing review of my own for her. If you need a photographer and would like more info on Sam, check out her website!!

6. Videography- I went with Island Pictures in Motion (Everald Waugh). Very kind and great prices. I haven’t gotten our video back though, so I can’t review him yet.

4. Food- the ambiance of open-air restaurant and sports bar were perfect- and you could be there either in a bathing suit or in a dress for the evening. No rules, just right, and always classy :) To be honest though, the food is not Moon Dance’s shining accomplishment, but the food was good with some great dishes so unless you are a total foodie I wouldn’t let this turn you away. Keep in mind that this is the case for many tropical resorts- you’re not necessarily going to get the best meals of your life at an all-inclusive resort. For the most part the food is good, but some of the food needs a bit more seasoning, and maybe a bit of variety. Don't get the pumpkin soup for your wedding (flavorless...tasted like broth). There are some good dishes though- The Jamaican or "J Special" for breakfast is great, as are the shrimp. Oh, and the coconut pancakes!! Do yourself a favor, and order those! Breakfast was definitely very tasty. ALL of the fish and shrimp dishes are exquisite, that is their specialty. Snapper sandwich on coco bread...I want one now! When we first got there the fruit was kind of bland- unripe melon etc- BUT when we let them know that we preferred the tropical varietal with pineapple, MANGO, and papaya- they started serving that whenever fruit was ordered! And you can always swap out fries for beautiful fresh fruit. Win.

Also a note on food and drink- we actually did not do all-inclusive. I think most people do all-inclusive, but it is honestly not generally the best deal for you or your guests. I think it would be very difficult to eat and drink your way to $150 per day per person worth of food and drink, unless you are ordering bottle after bottle of wine/champagne/liquor. If that is your MO, you might want all-inclusive. Yes, you do take on the cost of the wedding reception if you do “European” or accommodations-only plan, and it is hefty - $150 per person after taxes and gratuities. We had a small wedding (35 people), so this was feasible for us. But that does make you and your guests all-inclusive for the whole day of the wedding from breakfast till the end of the reception- so your guests do get to enjoy unlimited food and beverages, including alcohol, all day on wedding day. This includes your bridal lunch, any alcohol you want in your bridal suite the day of the wedding, etc. We wanted to keep the cost down as much as possible for our guests, so this helped immensely in that. I think my husband and I TOGETHER averaged about $100 per day on food and drink, and we were pretty liberal.

5. Our big day was perfect from dawn until dusk. Alicia and Simone made sure me and all of my ladies were taken care of perfectly with hair, makeup, and nails and they were on time and did a wonderful job. Kerry (the wedding planner) kept us right on schedule in a relaxed way and was there whenever needed. The ceremony was absolutely a dream. We really liked our minister, Revered Peart- he was funny and did a great job. We did edit his usual vow set to our liking and even added a favorite Scripture reading, he was flexible and totally fine with that. The ONLY thing about the ceremony that I must mention is that the recessional music did not start right away (I had a perfectly cued up list on my ipod…..) and we were left standing at the altar for too long! They finally got it cued and we danced off but that was awkward and really could have been avoided! We added an extra kiss in there though, no big deal ☺ Our reception was also SO fun and crazy and just as we planned and envisioned! We danced all night. Our DJ Sound Illusion was GREAT, we had Paul as our DJ. I gave him an extensive song request list- he played every song, even a few obscure/older ones I asked for! Highly recommend, again great prices. Kerry again did a wonderful job of keeping the night going and MC-ing the event. Could not be happier with how Moon Dance did out wedding day!

Why do you have your wedding at Moon Dance? If you are looking for an intimate, unique, and personal wedding experience then you are absolutely in the right place. Forget tons of people on the beach during your ceremony, crowded pools, lines for drinks or restaurants, impersonal staff and multiple weddings a day. When you are at Moon Dance, you and your group are IT and the staff treats you as such. Anything you want, anything you need is met. And we’re a young couple financing this mostly on our own- ie we’re not rich by any means- pretty much having your own tropical paradise resort for the weekend is within reach.

Moon Dance, thank you for making my dream wedding come true.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was my first time visiting this resort and it was absolutely beautiful. My friends and I were treated like royalty from the time we stepped on the premises. The entire staff was absolutely wonderful and very attentive. Our butler TiTanya was AWESOME. She made sure that all of our needs were met as she went above and beyond her call of duty. Whatever we needed and didn't have she made sure she got it. I truly felt special and very much cared for. The meals were delicious and the drinks were fantastic. All the amenities were great and the grounds were tranquil. The one touch that humbled me the most is when TiTanya and Tamaira gave me a card and chocolate cake to celebrate my birthday; it brought tears to my eyes. Moon Dance made me feel like I was family and my trip was one of the best ever. I definitely plan to visit this place often.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was my first time at this resort and I must say it was pure heaven. We were greeted with smiles and a refreshing cocktail. T-Tanya was the best. She didn't miss a beat with the meals and overall comfort. After a long day of shopping she came back with everyone's packages while we all went on to the beach. She even rode back to the airport to give us a personal good bye. Christine insured that our rooms were clean and comfortable every day, and there was not a drink that Trevor couldn't create that was not a "A+". This entire team made sure that we had the time of our lives. The pools and the grounds were awesome. The sunsets were magnificent. I think I will make this my yearly get away.

Room Tip: This place is a must stay resort.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I have reviewed it before - all I can say I will do it again over and over. A place to have fun, be pampered, and enjoy it to the max, without leaving the resort. I can't wait to celebrate my son's anniversary at Moon Dance.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Moon Dance Cliffs? Share your experiences!