“Wonderful people” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

You added Moon Palace Jamaica Grande to your Saves list
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Main Street | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and myself just spent our third vacation at Sunset Ja Grande.
This is a very nice resort but what make it special is the people who work there..
Every one is so nice. From maids to mangers.

The person that really stands out and is one of the reasons we keep going back is Calesia Thompson.

Calesia is always so welcoming and helpful. This women really loves her job and it shows in the way she performs it. She seem to constantly go out of her way (and beyond) to make our and everyone else's vacation special. We had a great time as always. Thanks Calesia

Room Tip: Just ask at front desk. they are very helpful
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

You get what you pay for. The food is average, the rooms are average and the entertainment is below average. Jamaica is a beautiful place. If you are going to just use the resort as a place to sleep then it works but if you get one day of bad weather and need to stay in it is lacking everything!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ste. Anne, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were a bit worried after we read some reviews. Some people are never happy, they just like to complain. We had a blast. The staff where just great. Our room was fine, and always comfortable and clean. Some days the room didn't get make up till later in the afternoon but that's because a lot of people would leave and new people were coming in so those rooms needed to be done first.' No problem mon'. The food was delicious and I'm a picky eater. The staff in the buffet were always there to refill your coffee and get your orange juice in the morning. At dinner time the staff keep your wine glasses full. They were always happy to take your pics of you, with your camera. They don't expect tips, but you can give them one while shaking their hand. Was impressed that there was a food station for the kids with kids kind of food even though we didn't have children with us. The grounds and beach were very clean and tidy. Would like to have had more shade spots, but would find some if we went to the beach later. The beach isn't really wide but was fun to get to know people around you faster. It was well worth the $ to stay at this lovely resort. We are going back again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for South Tower, ocean view and upper floors, as Spring breakers are in the North in March. Thi...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Centerville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Prior to going to this resort, I read all of the reviews, good and bad. I figured that it's all relative to what someone is expecting or used to in a vacation resort. I have a budget for my vacations, but I still want a nice place to stay and good food, etc. What I learned with this trip is that you get what you pay for with all-inclusive vacations. But please know these main factors about Sunset Grande Jamaica: 1. The resort is old, not well maintained, and the rooms are just not good. The bed skirts in our room looked like they hadn't been washed in years. 2. The food is not good; very little variety, bland, cold when it should be hot, warm when it should be cold, and the meat was dry. 3. When they say all inclusive as it relates to alcohol that's misleading because there are a very limited number of drinks that they can, or will, make. All of the bartenders skills were sub-par at best, the resort doesn't stock a huge variety of different alcohols, and the only beer served is Red Stripe. The North Side pool bar actually ran out of vodka twice during my 4 day stay. 4. There were no receptacles in the bathroom of our room and the blow dryer was from the 70's I think. 5. After dinner there is nothing to do at this resort except to go to the bar, but from what we found there is only one dance bar here. You don't dare go off property after dark unless you're with a group or a man because the locals are scary and they constantly approach tourists. 6. The all inclusive package we got included non-motorized water sports. In actuality this meant snorkeling and paddle boats; the snorkeling sucked because you're on your own and not permitted to go out far enough to see anything other than seaweed and rocks, and the one and only paddleboat the resort seemed to have was broken. Really? Ridiculous! Like I said, I read the reviews and thought that everyone can have an opinion and it's all relative, but people, trust me, please, the things noted a bove are true and I could go into much more detail, but the bottom line is, I would never, ever spend my money to go back to this resort. I made the best of my time there but I was sorely disappointed. So, still not convinced that this is not the place you should spend your time and money? Well, let me give you a few tips then. You don't need to exchange your american currency into Jamaican; they'll take your money and give you change in American dollars. This resort is two hours from the airport in Montego Bay. We used Jamaican Tours for our transfers and they were good, but book it before you get there. If you get car sick easily bring something to take because that two hours transfer to the resort can get bumpy. They say this is a non-tipping resort because it's all inclusive, but the staff will surely take tips under the table if offered. Some staff will hang there for a minute waiting on a tip, but you're not obligated to tip them. Bring at least one of your own beach towels; each guest gets one towel at a time but the chaise lounges get hot and the portion not covered by a towel is uncomfortable, so two towels on a chair is best. Bring a large travel cup from home, or buy one when you get there because all of the drinks at the resort are served in small plastic (reuseable) cups and you're constantly up getting refills because they're so small. Plus, the cups just seem kinda dirty because they go through them so fast and I wondered how well they were actually being washed each time. If you go to Dunns Falls and plan to climb, you don't need to rent or buy water shoes; your gym shoes from home do just fine and you'll save money regardless of them trying to tell you otherwise. If you like your "thread count" on your bed sheets at home, you might want to consider bringing some with you because the bed sheets are cheap, starched to high heaven and scratchy as hell, as are the bath towels. Oh, and there is some funky type of soap in a dispenser in the shower; we never could figure out if it was shampoo or soap, but hot tip - bring your own body wash from home. Seem like alot of tips and things you should bring with you? It is, and again, my suggestion is to just not go there in the first place, really.

Room Tip: My only helpful room tip is to stay at another resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Let me start off by saying this was my first time to Jamaica. I have been to Cuba several times all from 3 - 4 stars so I don't expect really high end hotels etc. After reading the reviews before the trip, which I took with a grain of salt, I would have to say most are fairly accurate.

Upon arriving at Montego Bay airport it was a slow process getting through. We flew with Sunwing and I found trying to find the bus to the resort to be very confusing and disorganized. I was expecting a big bus to take us but ended up being a 10 passenger van. The ride to the hotel was almost two hours which we were expecting but made for a really long day.

Before leaving I tried contacting the hotel via e-mail to request adjoining rooms in the south tower. We got two rooms on the same floor but at almost opposite ends of the hall in the north tower. She claimed this is all she had available and we had to wait another hour for one of the rooms to be ready even though at this point it was almost 5:00 p.m. First impression of the room wasn't the greatest. Our view had a little bit of ocean but overlooked another building and the pool filter. The only thing nice about the room was the TV...everything else felt so narrow and small. I guess we couldn't complain too much our A/C worked too well that we were freezing even turning it way down. We had lots of hot water and never had an issue with this. It would get quite windy out and our patio door would make a really annoying whistling sound constantly. We were on the third floor and never found an issue with the elevators. The girl at the front desk must of saw we were in our 20s and put us on a floor with the same age group. Thing is we aren't really partiers and didn't stay up very late so we would constantly get woke up in the middle of the night with random people just knocking on our doors for no reason. We even had a secuirty guard on our floor some nights but I don't understand what he did because this would happen on nights he was there. Also there was no fridge in the room.

Never had an issue with the cleaning lady she was very nice and always brought us clean towels. The only thing that would be weird is she came at different times each day varying from 1:00 p.m. all the way until 6:00 p.m.

The beach was a bit of a joke. Very narrow and lots of rocks and seaweed. I think the nicest part of the hotel for me was the pool area. I loved the rock formations and the waterfalls with the sway bridge.

I did not enjoy the food. Most things would taste fine but majority of the time 3/4 of us would get sick within half an hour of eating. It just made it really unpleasant. The al la cartes were nothing special at all..you could get the same thing at the buffet. If you do plan on doing this make sure you book right away as it fills up fast - even though the restaurant would be half empty whenever we went to one. The only meal I could count on and looked forward to was breakfast. The omlete line was really long but the two guys cooking them were so nice it made it worth the wait.

Pretty much every bar was a really long wait too. They would have 1-2 bartenders at each bar who really did try to serve everyone as quickly as possible but it was still a long wait. I felt really bad for them. I did like that they had lots of slushy drinks, appleton rum, and the beer was good too.

Entertainment wasn't the greatest. It was hard to get a seat and see anyways. Checked out the disco two nights (when managed to stay up) and it didn't really start to get busy until 11-11:30. They do theme nights so don;t expect to request any music if its not within the theme and again they only had one bartender so it would take forever to get a drink.

It would have been nice just to have one place open for food all the time. Instead every bar and restaurant has random hours so you have to wait a few days to figure out the schedule to know where to go at what time. For anyone wondering if they have 24 hour service - the latest you can get food is 2am.

Three of us got a massage ...$65.00 for 45 minutes. Was just okay for me, not really worth the money.

You have to ask about the beach towels at the front desk and get a voucher than take them to the towel hut located at the light house. Also if your planning on using the safe in your room you need to go to the front desk to get a lock and key. You will also need to provide a credit card incase you loose the key they will charge $100.00.

Gift shop is quite expensive but they have a lot of main essentials and neat things. If you plan on buying souvenirs from here I would highly recommend just waiting until the aiport to come home because they have a lot of neat shops.

They have a couple slot machines in the lobby but I never wasted my money on this - I never saw anyone win anything.

The only way I would go back to this resort is if I was travelling with people on a budget which it is a reasonable price for Jamaica (which is why we chose here in the first place). If i had my preference though I would spend the extra couple hundred and go somewhere else. I did enjoy Jamaica, for the most part the people were really nice and the country is beautiful. Only thing that got annoying was all the waiters and bartenders hitting on my friends and I constantly...it would get uncomfortable. This happened off the resort too so I can't really knock the hotel for this.

We did the Mystic Mountain and Dunns River Falls. Both were enjoyable and the good thing about the location of the resort is its a very short drive to the attractions.

Overall, a vacation is what you make of it and I did enjoy myself. I think the biggest let down for me was the food because almost everything I ate made me sick. I think I had high expectations in this regard as I'm use to the food in Cuba. If it wasn't for the beautiful pool area I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions as I'm sure I have left things out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We were a group of 4 and stayed here the first week of January 2013 for 1 week. This resort is a 2.5 star at best and definitely not worth the money we paid (we just got back from a vaca in Mexico that cost us $100 cheaper than what we paid here and the resort was a 4.5 star and a zillion times better!)

The pros:
- for the most part the pools are clean and very nice
- the Chinese and Caribbean a la Cartes are delicious. Skip the Italian the food was just bad
- we walked to Juicy Patty which was a 5-10 min walk from the resort and the patties were delicious! We did feel a little uneasy though as you get a lot of 'funny' looks

The cons:
- rooms were not clean and the floors were always wet. Honestly we just felt gross sleeping in there
- the food that was good ran out quickly and they don't restock
- service is super slow; I think on average it took almost 15 mins to get coffee in the morning
- fountain drink station, icecream station were constantly down
- music blasts until 2am daily
- smell of mold was everywhere

We went with low expectations and even still it was a big let down. Definitely a waste of money and we won't be back.

• Stayed January 2013
kkm15
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The first couple of days at Jamaica, we were at the Hilton, in Montego Bay-great place, we left to go to the Sunset Jamaica on a Saturday. We get there, the resort is in a run down area, didn't really bother me. We go to check in, they screwed up our rooms that were suppose to be next to each other, with lots of complaining they upgraded us to a 1 bedroom. The room was huge, but very old, smelly and the air didn't work. The people that worked there were very unfriendly and just miserable. Next day, the breakfast buffet was like a free for all. Totally disgusting. But the best part was there were over 400 college spring breakers, which makes the resort completely not family friendly this time of year. We had some drunk kid get in our face looking for a fight, you could not get a drink because they were blocking the bars. We complained to the life guard that these half naked girls humping the pool were blocking the water slide for the kids. He said to us, not my problem. So, we got there on a Saturday and left on Monday to go back to a real family friendly resort the Hilton at Montego Bay. Let me had it was the same price as the run down, dirty, moldy Sunset Jamaica. I will tell everyone never go there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
#13 of 40 in Ocho Rios
4.0 of 5 stars 6,644 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Been to Moon Palace Jamaica Grande? Share your experiences!