We were a party of 11, 3 families with 5 teenagers total.
Arrived Christmas Day around 4pm, two rooms weren't ready so we put the extra luggage in other rooms and headed down to the Lighthouse Grill to get something to eat as we'd been traveling all day. The grill and bar were packed, we were thinking "what have we gotten ourselves into", it looked like the redneck riviera. Luckily the next 5 days were not as crowded and we had an overall good time.
- beaches were nice and clean, although we weren't in the water a lot. Hung out under the palm trees on the beach.
- Pools were nice , plenty of room on the quiet end for some swimming laps.
- Bartenders were generally good, esp the guys working the night shift at the main bar. We generally tipped the bartenders but it was always a sly handoff - wish they would just let them put a tip jar at the main bar - those guys work hard and are friendly to everyone.
- The 4 restaurants we went to each night were all very nice, although the boys were always hungry when they were done dinner and went to the grill or buffet.
- The main lobby is very nice looking in the evening with the lights and openness and is a nice place to relax in the evening.
- Took a beat up glass bottom boat to Dunns Rivers Falls and then they took us snorkeling for about 1/2 hour on the way back.These guys were past the property gate on the beach. $25 US per person for the boat ride up and back to Dunns plus snorkeling so not too bad. Just remember Dunns River admission fee is extra.
The OK or not so great.
- Rooms are definitely dated (we were in the North tower).
- The grill line at the pool was so slow, always 15 - 30 minutes no matter how many people in line. Very unorganized, even when they had 3 people working. McDonald's could teach them a few lessons.
- Same with the Bars by the pools. They need some floating workers who can hop in during rush hours.
- Buffet lines for omelets in the morning were a joke - again, bring McDonalds in to show them some efficiency. And always running out of bacon and sausage. Lunches were a little blah. I would not want to have to eat in the buffet every night.
- Only had one dinner at the buffet but it always looked like the same old things, didn't look like it was great.
- Soda machines were always out of ice and out of sodas - simple thing that was irritating
- ice cream machine by the pool bar was always down - another simple thing that was irritating.
- Need better entertainment on the main stage at night.
- Disco for the kids was on and off - depended on who was around.
- No exercise classes in the gym that we could see - my wife was looking for some yoga, aerobics classes in the mornings.
- Could they get a bigger TV in the main bar area? It's nice to hang there at night and watch some sporting event and have a few drinks. And some add'l seating around the tv - how about a little sports bar area.
- Casino looks like an arcade
Would I come back to Jamaica - yes. Would I come back to this resort - I'd be ok with it if others wanted to go but I would definitely check out other places first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Moon Palace Jamaica Grande, is situated on the north coast of Jamaica, accessible from the Montego Bay airport. Following a multi-million dollar transformation of what was formerly the iconic Sunset Jamaica Grande, the soon to open Moon Palace Jamaica Grande will boast more than 700 guestrooms and suites with oceanfront views of the Caribbean Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Moon Palace Jamaica Grande reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Moon Palace Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios