“Day at CRBL” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Spanish Town, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
“Day at CRBL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Hotel was kinna tricky to find at first but its a lil section between 2 properties with a nice friendly staff...Rooms are pretty basic but well kept, it was actually more than I had expected.
The ground floor which i stayed had easy access to the beach from the patio...Overall it wasn't a bad experience and I would recommend it to others...the only thing missing this hotel is a pool and better parking

Room Tip: Ground Floor to ave easy access to the beach Rooms 105-107 ...easy run out for late night skinny dip...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Maxine E, Assistant Manager at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I must first say a big thank you for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.
I do hope you are planning to return to the property, and if there is anything we can do to make your stay a more memorable one please don't hesitate to let us know.
The reason for us not having a pool is that we have no space for one.
Thank you again for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I visit Jamaica yearly and always stayed at Crystal Ripple for the last 4 or 5 years it is not high class accommodation but it's staff is second to none. From the reception staff, security, cleaner and handyman across all of the staffing levels they are truly amazing.

The rooms are basic but clean and tidy and all rooms has this magnificent view of the beech which is breath taking.

I really hope that the manager values their staff because without them we would not continue returning to the same venue.

Room Tip: Make sure you book the ground floor rooms as you open your Patio door you step onto the Private empt...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure having you at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.
We look forward to having you again, and if there is anything special you would like for us to do ,whenever you decide to return please do not hesitate to call.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 weeks in late July early August. The hotel is nothing flash but has a great relaxing feel about it. Literally right on the beach and every room has a view. The staff are so wonderful. They all are so friendly! The beds a hard and the bathroom isn't good at all. Our shower was horrible, the tap kept falling off and it was really difficult to shower with very little water pressure. However the rooms are very clean! There isnt any shops nearby so it was a bit of a mission to find somewhere to eat other than ochos rios town which we tried to avoid because it's not a nice place. I would come stay here again! Oh one more tip, make sure the locals don't rip you off!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

There was a group of us that stayed one night after working on a mission trip in the interior of Jamaica. The hotel is on the water. There were ants in the bathroom. The shower sprayed all over the bathroom. The room on the second floor had very little water in the shower. The AC work great. Furnishings were old and worn. Did not try the TV. The breakfast was toast, coffe and juice. If I was bringing my family here I would not stay here. It was okay for 1 night after staying in the interior of Jamaica.

Room Tip: If you want water in the shower stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Maxine E, Manager at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
A pleasant afternoon. First I must say a very big thank you for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge. Please accept my sincere apology for the discomfort you have experience while staying at our property, I can assure you that the matter will be delt with immediately. Your review is highly appreciated , Please do not allow this experience to differ you from returning to Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge. If you decide on a return to our hotel and there is anything we can do to make your stay a more memorable one , please do not hesitate to let us know. Again thank you for taking time out of you busy schedule to make a review.
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Let me start by noting that I am still trying to get over the traumatizing experience I had while staying at this hotel. I am going to be as detailed as possible so readers of this review will feel my horrowing experience through my words. There is nothing that that the owners, managers and employees can say or do to make me feel forgiveness for what my traveling partner and I endured. This hotel is categorized between a 2.5 to 3 star hotel depending on which online travel source you look at. The pictures shown throughout these online travel sources seemed very appealing and gave my traveling partner and I a good impression and "perception" of this property. I always have to keep in mind that there is a major gamble that hotel seekers take when going off of pictures online. The reviews for the most part were likeable. I had my traveling partner look at the pictures as well and she was pleased. Oh boy were we fooled! When the hotel was initially booked for 2 nights, the hotel charges the credit card immediately. Please take note of their cancellation policy as well. When we got to Jamaica, it took us 20 minutes to find the hotel. It was connected to another property by the name of Shaw Park of which there is a gate with security. To our dismay, that was not the entrance. We had to turn on another road, drive pass a very hasseling and undesireable area where people are washing cars and anything imaginable, then underneath a bridge on road ridden with pot holes! Once we got to the hotel, our mouths' dropped. The hotel was so dilapidated. We had a rental car and the parking was quite inadequate and we automatically felt that this area was unsafe. The pictures online compared to the actual building was like night and day. Upon check-in, the young lady at the front desk took us to a room on the second floor. We were disappointed once again. Now...let me make this clear...I have stayed in budget hotels/motels many times before so I had least had a barometer of what to expect. We were so disappointed that we almost started crying. My girlfriend's allergies immediately started flaring up and we knew that we needed a different room. We asked for a room on the third floor and at that moment the young lady said that it would be more money. We asked her to consult the hotel manager. We spoke to the hotel manager and told her that the room shown online is nowhere near the presentation of the room shown to us on the second floor. She said that she would speak to the owner. Mind you we were told that owner resided in Canada. The owner denied our request. We tried and tried to convince these people to work with us but they did not budge. All they cared about is the money. They would rather fight to keep our money and give us a flithy room rather than do everything in their power to make the customer happy and feel at home...especially since the 2 nights were paid for in advance. I decided to contact the travel agent to cancel to no avail. We had no choice but to stay the two nights that were paid for. From this point forward is where I state my case as to why this hotel is unsafe. On the second night, the rental car I was driving got broken into. The type of car was a Toyota Yaris which was completely locked but these vehicles do not come with a security feature. I have been visiting Jamaica for the last 20 years and this is the first time ever that vandalism as occurred on any of my trips. The spare tire, the radio and car battery was taken. Apparently the hotel owner flew in the day before and his rental car was broken into as well which was also a Toyota Yaris. There was a feeling that came over me because the owner himself experienced this himself and he can observe that his property in unsafe. When we went to the police station to report this, I overheard the owner saying this has happened to him before. What! Sounded like someone who truly has no care in the world for the safety of the hotel guests. The hotel owner is an old school much older male physician who apparently has had some dispute over selling the property because he is not getting the "right" buying price. This owner's greediness has led to the dilapidated state of this hotel. This owner also had the nerve to offer me a free 2 night stay in compensation for m ordeal. He is obviously not of this world because I have obviously been tramautized by the vandalism and he wants me to come back to this hotel...again?!?!

The staff will not work with you if you have a legitimate problem. The vandalism has happened more than once with apparently no sign to beef up night security. This is more like a 1.5 star hotel with minimum amenities. Find out if there is an option to pay on conclusion of the stay. If you can help it, do not pay in advance. That are plenty of hotels in the jamaica tourism industry that get unknowing people that way. Also this so called 2.5 star hotel was way overpriced at almost $100 a night. In conclusion please read this review and let it emerse and marinate in your mind and please do not fall victim to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Had an overnight stay here. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Accommodation was basic but very clean. If you are driving, the entrance to the hotel is a little difficult to find at first and you
need to pass under a bridge were there are locals there washing cars. You advise them where you are heading and they wave you through. Free Internet is great and you are treated to watching locals haul in their morning catch right outside your window. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Roanoke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

This hotel is located at the east end of Ocho Rios. When we drove in under the bridge and past the car wash we were a little concerned about the location, but we had no reason to worry during our three days there. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful, and the breakfasts were ample and good, especially when we added items to the basic continental offering. We loved watching the fishermen come in with their nets in the mornings and falling asleep to the sound of the waves at night. Our room was large and comfortable, and its terrace was only a few steps from the beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!