“Fantastic Food,Friends and Fun!!!” 5 of 5 stars

White River Estates, Ocho Rios Caribbean, Jamaica   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
USA
“Fantastic Food,Friends and Fun!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I visited the Blue House on a last minute trip planning adventure. We could not have been more pleased with our choice of this house. Daryl is a magnificent cook who brings all of the island tastes to your table every morning and evening. This is home style jamican cooking that is out of this world good! You wont find any of this at any of the resorts (resort food = bland watered down westernized version of Jamican food) The staff are friendly and completley attentive to guests needs at all times. Rooms are quaint and well appointed and clean. Sitting on the porch every morning watching the doctor birds sipping nector from the feeder as we eat akee , fresh fruit and home made bisquits with Guava jam is the only way to greet a new day in Jamaica. Dinner is optional but I would encourage to pay the extra and get in on that plan as the dinner is a wonderful and warm experience of good conversation and amazing food. Make sure and hit Scotchies for a great jerk lunch and check out Reggae Beach on a day the cruise ship is not in town.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I've rarely written one of these reviews, but after staying at the Blue House this past weekend with my husband, I am compelled to sing its praises. Let's begin with the food - consistently, the meals far surpassed anything you could ever get at a restaurant - either in Jamaica or I'd venture in the US. Daryl the chef has a gift and he uses it beautifully. Every meal was an adventure in Jamaican traditional cooking with an haute cuisine flair. Gorgeous presentation and amazing variety. And it's all personalized. He and Elise the owner made sure to get our food preferences well ahead of our arrival so she and Daryl could plan our meals according to our tastes, down to her daily trips to the fish, meat and fruit markets. As for Elise, I have never had such lovely, personal and warm treatment at any hotel or B&B. She joined us for meals and was a delight to talk with. She knows everything about the Island, its history, politics and its people and she's a fantastic resource as a result. And she really runs the place as if it's a joy to open her home - not just a business. Each night she had special drinks concocted for us and invited us to watch the exotic hummingbirds congregating outside her window. As for the house, it's really a small island mansion of sorts, with an individual bath for each room, lovely gardens in the back and a pool. Elise has great taste and the house is very clean (the staff is incredibly polite, trustworthy and a pleasure to see each day, by the way) and every aspect of it it designed with the guests in mind. Some rooms are larger than others, so if that makes a difference, let Elise know. Reggae Beach is very nice for day jaunts and we walked there with ease, though Elise will shuttle you via car over any time you like, which I thought was a great touch. We actualy splurged one day and bought a day pass to the resort across the street, and had a nice time, but the food really sucked, actually, and the beach was no different than Reggae Beach, just more tourists and worse service. The one thing to keep in mind is that the Blue House is a home, and you will be interacting with people, from Elise, to the staff, to the other guests, at meal times and such, so if you are looking for complete seclusion or the anonymity of a larger resort, where you don' have to chat with others, this is not the place for you. If you want a warm, affordable, lovely atmosphere, with the best cooking you can get in Jamaica, then this is definitely the right place for you. One last note, I recommend getting the breakfast and dinner option as there is very little in the way of good restaurants in Ocho Rios, and Daryl's cooking is so truly authentic and varied and delicious and fresh, it's so worth it to eat at the Blue House for as many meals as you can. We LOVED it and can't recommend the Blue House enough!

Worcs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2010

The Blue House is a great relazing place to stay.We stayed in Sanctuary room which had everything we needed, and an extremely comfortable enormous bed. Elise is an exceptional host, interesting, informative, but not intrusive. She has lots of suggestions of things to do depending on your tastes; the boat trip with Brown at White River was great and should not be missed. Breakfasts on the balcony or by the pool are an excellent way to start the day, each day's breakfast was different, and very tasty. Dinner was equally good, we enjoyed sitting round the table with the other guests and Elise. There was always a choice of main course and likes and dislikes are catered for. We also appreciated the tea and coffee station in the lounge.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and everyone was keen to make sure we were having a good time.

las vegas nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

Bed and Breakfast resorts usually are simple establishments offering a nights stay followed with a quick breakfast to get you going on your way. Not here. If I could take this resort and bring it with me to all my vacation spots, I would. The rooms are comfortable and homey with plenty of room and the ac will freeze you if thats your thing, you get an amazing breakfast outside on the second story balcolny overlooking the lush garden with plenty of wildlife to view such as the humming bird, better known as the doctor bird in jamaica. With the help of Elise ,owner, your day can be planed out, no need to preplan before the trip, she knows everyone! When returning from your day either at the private beach down the road, which is one of the best from what i have seen, or hiking to the blue hole and cranbrook, horesback riding, river tubing, zip line, dune buggy etc.... you return home and this is where the best part of the day, for me at least, starts. Darryl, the brother, is a self taught chef who picked up cooking from his mom, grandparents, friends and just living in Jamaica who cooks meals that you don't want to miss. After you try the first meal, whether its whole fish with lobster along with pumkin rice or chichen and pork BBQ along with shrimp rice or homemade dipping sauces, you plan your day around his dinners - not wanting to be late!! The side dishes alone are amazing. All and all the Blue House comes through, nothing can beat this and I recommend it! The Blue House made my vacation one of the top vacations I have taken, and I have taken plenty.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

I can not stress enough how much we enjoyed our stay at the Blue House. Elise is an amazing host and she makes you feel right at home in her wonderful property. She went above and beyond in informing us of local activities and how to get around. Daryl’s breakfasts were spectacular; I regret not getting the dinner package. It would be tragic to go to Ocho Rios and stay in a resort the whole time. I read all these reviews before coming and trust me they are accurate. The Blue house is the place to stay.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2009

The difference in the blue house can be summed up in one word, its people. To be honest I was very disappointed when we initially got to the blue house. WE were on a bus from the airport and all these people were getting down at these glitzy all inclusives and when our bus finally dropped us we got down at this house. I was expecting something a lot bigger. After all this was my honeymoon. Then I wanted to go out in the evening but it was dark and I felt like we were forced to eat dinner at the blue house for what I felt was an exhorbitant sum for Jamaica $40 per person for dinner. This was my first time to Jamaica or for that matter to the Caribbean and I was expecting thrid world prices.

Thankfully my better half had more sense than me and convinced me to have dinner at the Blue House. Darryl's food is simply magic there is no other way to describe it. It would be doing him a disservice describing his food as five star or homecooked or homestyled. The best word is wizardry I tell you. Then, Elsie turned out to be an unbelievable host. The first night she took us into Ocho Rios because one of the guest was promised ice cream but she had some incredible bread pudding instead. I also had the ice cream (Devon House, again incredible) on Elise's tab after having the bread pudding. Now that's service.

This was repeated every day. Getting up to incredible breakfast, then going sightseeing in the morning with the other tourists (thereby splitting the tab) and Patrick, the driver who was also simply great. Then coming home getting rested and getting ready for an incredible dinner and incredible conversation with Elise and the other guests. We went to firewater, Dunn's River Falls, the market and Mystic Mountain, all must sees. Darryl's cooking ( I ate so much my wife claims I embarassed her :), Elise's hospitality and local knowledge, Orlando and Michael (the help), Patrick ofcourse and the interaction with the other guests make this a must visit.

By comparison check my review of the Sunset at the plams whwere we stayed next whcih absolutely blew compared to the blue house. Ofcourse this brings me to the one problem that I had with this place. It absolutely ruined my all inclusive portion of the vacation since I couldnt help but sorely miss the blue house and wanted to go back.

We loved it so much that we intend to go back with our entire family in Nov. 2010 (at thanksgiving) and book the entire house. Elise if you are reading I am expecting a good rate ;) Guys keep up the excellent work.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, AB, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

This review is very late in coming but I finally joined the TripAdvisor world. Elise is a gracious, kind, humorous woman and the best host you could ask for. Blue House is a great alternative to a large, impersonal resort- and I definitely preferred it. The food was the best we tasted in Jamaica and we did things that you would never do unless hanging with a local (swimming hole, school visit, Rastafarian family etc). The main street is a short taxi ride away (and cheap if you take the route taxis) Don't hesitate to book your trip there!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends

Been to The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!