“SO Glad we booked this tour!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 77 Activities in Ocho Rios
canada
“SO Glad we booked this tour!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

My friends and I stayed at the RIU Ocho Rios from Nov 25 - Dec 3 for our friends' wedding. Before we left for the trip, I did a little research on things to do in Ocho Rios and I found the wilderness ATV tours site here on tripadvisor. I was impressed by the site and it sounded like something our group of friends would really enjoy. From the reviews I had read, it sounded like a pretty wild ride on rough terrain.
I emailed the tour group to see if they were available to take 8 of us together on the tour and to see if they could arrange transportation for us. (this tour was not available through our hotel) "NO PROBLEM MON!!" Marie took care of all my questions and concerns, and gave me the contact info for when we arrived in Jamaica. When we did arrive in Jamaica, I called the cell # Marie gave to me and I spoke with a very accomodating gentleman named Niel. He arranged for a van to bring us there and back and to Dunns River Falls (we opted for the tour package that includes the Falls - SOOOOO worth it!!!!) and back at no extra cost to us (we made sure to leave a generous tip for them at the end). I happened to mention in one of my emails to Marie, that the bride and groom would be coming with us on the tour. At the end of the 4 wheeler tour, they surprised us and cracked open a couple of bottles of wine for them. It was not at all expected but soooooo appreciated that they actually acknowledged them and gave their congratulations. I couldn't believe HOW nice and accomodating these people are!! This tour was not offered at our hotel, so I am really glad I found it on this site!!
We first got a briefing on the machines we were riding from Chris and the other guides, then they put us on them and observed our driving in the parking lot to see if we paid attention and to correct anything we were doing wrong. After we were OK'd to go, away we went, single file (ladies first of course) up the mountain. There was a tour guide in the front leading us and one in the very back incase of any problems. A beautiful and scenic ride, but ROUGH riding none the less. (My triceps were killing me for about a week after that!!) They do not putt along up the mountain and over the bumps, when there was the opportunity to drive really fast, they took it!!!!! We were laughing and smiling the entire time. There were even a few mud puddles due to the rain, (you could go around them, but not us) we went FLYING through them so it would soak the person behind you!!! It was SOOOOOOOO fun!! The groom was right behind me, and he got COVERED in mud!! At the top of the mountain, we got off our machines and the leading guide (I'm sorry I forgot his name) brought us to a bar and gave us each a pepsi. There he told us a little of the history and geography of Ocho Rios. Verry interesting facts and a VERY funny guide!! He showed us some of the plant life around the building too (the one that looks like a "female" hahaha). After our little rest we went back down the mountain, as fast and as furious as the way up!! Surprisingly, we all made it back in one piece, unharmed (except the cactus that I walked into, those things don't move for you, you know!! Haha).
We had the wine that they so generously arranged for us, then our awesome van driver took us and Chris (our Falls guide) to the falls and waited for us there until we were done. Chris asked us if we wanted a guide to physically assist us up the falls (they have them available at the falls) but feeling adventurous, we opted to climb it ourselves. Chris gave us a quick briefing on the falls, took our cameras for us, and away we went!! He climbed up the falls beside us on land to give us guidance if we got nervous or stuck. He would stop us and pose us in the most picturesqe spots and he got a lot of really awesome pictures with our cameras!!! What an exhillerating climb!! We were all really happy we did the tour and it was TOTALLY worth every cent! It was $60 without the falls or $80 with the falls. The extra $20 was a minamal cost to go to the falls. The memories we have from that tour alone are priceless! BIG UP!! to all of the wonderful, nice and accomodating people at Wilderness tours!! Thank You so much for making the tour SO great! "Everyting was irie"

Much Love From CANADA!!!
"Binkles Rule"

UK
“Bit dusty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

We went on these quad bikes last year ..... first thing i got to say is the staff are really amazing. They will look after you alot, drop and pick you up from hotels even. The guy who picked us up said he was from Canada, so if you ever read this, you're a cool guy!

Maybe it's because i've never been on a quad before ... but it really didn't particularly grab me. They are quite heavy, and it's quite hard work going up.

You begin by driving around in circles for a bit to get practice, then you go up a road to some high peaks, probably takes about 30 mins to get up.

However, a few gripes, the road was soooo amazingly badly dusty and loads of broken roads. You wear googles, but i'm telling you this thick white sandy dust was everywhere man, all over me, in my face.

Also because they have to be safe, the quads go up in a liner format ... so you can't really chill and talk to people or go up at leaurley pace , it's a mad rush to get up there. And like i said the track is pretty bad, wit bumps everywhere. And the bikes aren't easy to handly if you never used em before!

However, gots to admit if your a fan of quads then go for it.

The views were amazing, and you get a drink at the top. But then after about 20 mins your on your way back down again. So there really isn't any time to do your own stuff.

However if was nice ... and i'm sure if they could solve the bad white sand and have a better track it would be a better experience. But the people there who work are absolutely amazing and nice people.

You'd enjoy it ..... it's quite expensive though too, lol but then again all of Jamaica is a rip of for tourists!

Newark
32 attraction reviews
“Excellent ATV tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2006

My girlfriend and I arrived in Jamaica on November 20, 2006 by cruise ship. We saved some money on a shore excursion by not booking through the ship. We booked with Wilderness ATV Tours. What a wonderful experience. Neil and Chris are the owners/brothers. They were terrific! They were kind and knowledgable and really made sure we had a great time. Do not be put off by the tractor trailer on the unpaved parking lot. When you arrive they give you a little practice. Neither I nor my girlfriend had ever ridden an ATV. You practice in the parking lot. There are several Jamaicans cheering you on as you practice in the lot. As you round the turns they shout at you with things like "yah mon!" Way to go Bryan, way to go Denise. I think that if all I did was practice and listen to the guys cheer me on I would have been very happy and satisfied. But then we started on our twenty mile (round trip) ride up to the top of Murphy Hill. It is a nice ride up an old road bed to the top. At the top you are treated to a drink and great views of Ocho Rios. The guides really keep you pumped up by yelling encouragement as you go up hills and make some turns. They really let you get moving pretty fast. On the way down you get to go off of the road for a little while. This was exhilerating! After Chris led us back to the starting point his brother Neil took us to Dunn's River Falls as we had reserved a combination package. You do not ride the ATV's to the falls, but Wilderness ATV tours provides transportation. Climbing the falls was truly a treat not to be missed. I would recommend not getting in the line where everyone holds hands on the way up. Neil is very knowledgable and can give you great advice on how to climb up to the top as he has lived here for many years and has climbed the falls many times. I think it is more fun to find your own way up to the top. When I consider the kindness, enthusiasm, and fun of this adventure I would highly recomment Wilderness ATV Tours to anyone considering this type of adventure.

7 attraction reviews
“Incredible trip for teens and adults!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2006

Boy, oh boy.... I made an excellent choice when I chose to book this adventure instead of one from the cruise ship. This was by far one of the best excursions I have ever been on. I booked an excursion with Wilderness ATV tours for myself and my 3 friends. 2 of us have a lot of experience with 4-wheelers, another has a little experience, and the remaining one has NONE! She was scared to death before we got there.

But, our trail guides, Damen and Chris, really did their job. They do a thorough safety presentation, and make you demonstrate your ability to turn, stop and ride the ATVs correctly. They put everyone at ease, including our first-timer. And, it was only the 4 of us on our excursion. VERY PERSONAL SERVICE!

Then we set out up the mountain! WOW! It was great. The ride is somewhat challenging for even experienced riders, so don't think for a second that you might be bored! When we got to the top, it was a beautiful view of Jamaica, and we had our bags waiting there for us, along with a cold drink.

After about 30 minutes at the top of Murphy Hill, we started our adventure back down the mountain. Once again, it was incredible, and the guides made sure everyone was safe. We yelled out the whole way down the mountain in pure pleasure!

Once we got back to the base, we left in a private van for Dunn's River Falls. On our way there, Chris instructed us about how and where to climb, what to do when we encountered a "chain" of people, and where to look for him. He climbed the falls alongside of us and took frequent pictures of us as we went up. The water and the falls were incredible, and the pictures turned out great! I can't believe how great that whole day was. It was as if we had our own personal tour guide. Folks... please make sure you give these guys a good tip for their services! This type of excursion and personal service cannot be found on the tours booked with the cruiselines.

Chris- You made this day one of the best I've ever had! I look forward to coming on this excursion again in the future.

GREAT PRICE, GREAT SCENERY, and GREAT PEOPLE on this excursion!

Illinois
“WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2006

My husband and I took a 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise with Royal Caribbean in June, 2006. None of the excursions available through the ship looked interesting to us so we decided to look around for an independent company. That's when we found Wilderness ATV tours. And am I ever glad we did! Based on the excellent reviews of others we booked it and were just as thrilled with the experience as they were. I am not an "outdoorsey" sort of person, nor am I comfortable driving heavy machinery but I had the most fun riding an ATV up to the top of Murphy's Hill. My husband, oh my gosh, couldn't wipe the smile from his face! He would do it again in a heartbeat. The staff were very friendly and made the ride up and down a lot of fun. I agree with their website when they say that safety is very important to them. The other woman in our group was having a little trouble. The bushmaster stopped, had her switch positions so she was riding right behind him, diagnosed her problem (staring at the ground, not in front of her) and away we went. She didn't have any trouble after that. We were the envy of the other families that we were cruising with. I think they all wished that they had done the ATVs, too! We opted to do the Dunn's River Falls. Our guide walked along the falls with our camera while my husband and I were climbing. We have the most amazing pictures of the two of us that most climbers probably don't have. We highly recommend Wilderness ATV Tours!