“A Real Review....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
SCARTOWN
“A Real Review....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

I stayed at Riu Ocho Rios from May 1 - May 8 2006. I have to tell you that the resort is extremely spectacular when you first arrive through their gates. The lobby has an open concept and you are greeted with drinks. We stayed at an Ocean View room which basically everyone gets. The food was pretty good as A MUST STAPLE would be eating the JERK CHICKEN from the JERK HUT on the beach...mmmmmmm very TASTY!!! If you were worried with booking every morning for the a la carte restaurants I would recommend you arriving in front of the restaurant at least 30 mins prior to 10 am if you want to eat at 6:30 or around 15 mins to 10 if you want to eat at a later time. I would strongly recommend Sr. Richards as it probably has the best a la carte food on the resort. The nightly entertainment was okay and would get boring quickly so basically after sunset there really is nothing else to do on the resort. THe last buffet closes at 12:30 am and if you really want to eat after that you are basically screwed into eating hot dogs or popcorn. THere is no room service which is really sad for a 5 star resort. I would have also liked to be served on the beach which RIu did not have. The entertainers and staff are all welcoming and would hit any woman on the resort. I would DEFINATELY reccomend going to the Dunns River falls as it is an adventure in itself. ALso buying liquor in town is more expensive then buying at duty free. OVerall IF you are thinking of PARTYING ...RIU is not for you as it is more of a family and couples resort as basically there is nothing to do at night. But you can definately do any extra curricular activities anywhere in the resort. :0p

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

My girlfriends and I just got back from RIU Ocho Rios this past Saturday. We stayed for 1-week and had a blast. For two of us this is our second time around, since the RIU opened in November. This review will show how this resort changed for the better or for the worst. (if there are any)

FYI: This review is coming from a second RIU Ocho Rios traveller. We are in our mid to late 20's and I have travelled to Dominican Republic and Cuba for some comparison/experience.

Like no surprise the drive from the airport to the hotel is 90mins-2hrs long. It feels like forever because you want to arrive at the hotel asap! If your going during the day enjoy the view, if you arrive like us during the evening when it's dark, take a nap. Take some anti-nausa pills if you have a weak stomach for long travels that are quiet bumpy! FYI!

Check in was great! They set it up in a very organize matter. Everything was there to begin with, however they did not have any locks for the safe that evening. My friends and I had to lock our passports and money in our luggage when we left the room. It wasn't that bad. By the next morning they had a lock ready and waiting for us to use.

Our previous trip consisted of 5/7 days or rain and to our enjoyment it lonly rained for 4 hours on our first day. By 11am it was sunshine till the end of our trip. (in the pictures you can see asian woman got some serious tans)

My biggest concern last time at RIU was the poor a la carte set up. Before we would line up at any restaurant to tell us they have no more space for the following week. That trip we had to settle for one a la carte at the Mandelay restaurant, which is the worst food I ever tasted. HOWEVER, this time they set up is you line up for each a la carte for the day you want to eat. When it's about 9am-930am people start lining up for 10am reservations. Although, you spend almost 1 hour in line waiting for a seat at least you have a chance to eat somewhere. We got to experience the Steak House, which we all agreed was EXCELLENT! If your a meat lover then try the Steak House a la carte. It's located at the Mamee Bay area.

Now if your picky like myself about staying at a place thats clean, not dirty then you'll be pleased here. The staff does an excellent job maintaining the beautiful white sand beach, restrooms, dinning area and etc. The resort is HUGE and you would think it would be more difficult to maintain, but the RIU staff proves you wrong.

Now back to the food department. People reading tripadvisor much realize you are eatting at a resort that usually has to feed up to 1100 people approx (not on a fully booked week). The food is excellent considering your feeding so many people in mass quanities. The American dishes they make are good, but they won't taste EXACTLY like how a diner back home would make it serving one person. So, grab some pepper and season it if you want it to taste to your expectations. For the real flavor you need to try the Jamaican Corner at St. Anne's. This is their specialities, so enjoy the flavor and spice from their dishes. If your a beef patty fan like myself EAT AS MANY AS YOU CAN. The patties back home can't touch the ones at the resort!

The entertainment in the evening is awsome. They have a kids disco around 730pm and icebreakers with a live show later on. Your not paying for a New York broadway production, however I can point at many dancers/entertainers who would be picked up by them in a second. They provide so much energy and positive vibes that you leave the show amazed and wanting for some more. Must sees are Power of King/Lion King, Micheal Jackson, Tropical show, Beach Party and Magic show. All of them are fun and bring something new to the table, so check them out. If you have a chance tell the dancers how appreciative you are for their hard work. My only fault is the shows run on late, so the younger kids tend to leave half way threw the show. Those families travelling with children under 7 might have to cut the entertainment short.

Excursions time! We went to Dunn's River Falls and loved it. I really liked it because it felt like it mixed my two loves rock climbing and water into one. If you can go up the falls, please do so and please buy/rent the shoes. I don't know how people went up with running shoes. We also went on the waverunners from the resort. These guys do not work for RIU, so be careful to who you go with and how much. My girlfriends haggelled our way to an amazing rate for all three of us to have the wave runner tour. They took us to Dolphins cove, Dunn's river and a local Lagoon. It's a crazy and bumpy ride, but totally worth it. Look for Troy or Jeremy and they will take care of you. Shopping was okay, we went to Taj Mahal, but I think you can get better deals at the local market and sometimes at the airport. For those buying their alcohol I would suggest to buy it at the airport. Its cheaper I tend to find it. Also, at the resort I paid $80 american for 50 minutes of an outdoor deep tissue massage. If your wondering I am an RMT myself so the massage I received was very good considering the educational training. She was able to go deep, yet still let me stay relaxed to hear the water crashing onto the shore. A little pricey but I would do it again!

For those party animals who want to enjoy places to drink or dance off the resort check our Margarettaville, Amensia or Just Cheers. On mondays the hotel has shuttle buses to Margarettaville for Tourist night and the enternce is free. Wednesday is Pool party and Saturday is just the place to be on a Saturday night. Amensia is Thursday night and the place is mixed locals and tourist. If you love reggae and hiphop and don't mind being the only tourist there, check out Just Cheers on Friday night. Great vibe and this place will really give you the true Jamaican experience.

Your probally wondering did anything go wrong. JUST A WARNING! When you leave your room each day and leave a tip for your maid she/he might not get it if you just leave it on the table. According to our maid there are 3x who come to the room daily. If you have any money lying around they will take it. My girlfriend had a twenty under as tray around her personal belongings and by the time we got back to the room it was gone. Luckly our maid came the next day and gave it back to her and said don't leave it there or others will take it. If your tipping your maid tuck the money under the pillow so it goes to them.

Judging to all the information I wrote you have an idea why my friend and I went back to RIU Ocho Rios. Let a long bring another person to fall in love with this resort. Besides the beautiful resort, good food, lovely beach and wonderful music what keeps us coming back is the wonderful people and positive vibes from the resort. When we returned so many people welcomed us back with open arms. From the entertainment staff all the way to the chiefs and bartendars who rememebered us from November.

It felt like we came back home and to a family. I want to thank all the employees there who made our trip extra special! Special thanks to: Hot dog, Fedo-dido aka junior, Rainbow, Alesia, Kanesia, JR, Korao, Peta Gaye, Macarena, Ms. Cuba, Look-a-like Jada Pinket, Ms. Reggae queen, Anthony, Anthony's bro Gregg, Boom-boom, O.J, Courage, Superman, Mr. Chin, lady who takes care of the kiddies, DJ Mike, Krazy Prince, the spa guy, towel guys, lifeguards and etc.

I said I wasn't gonna come back after 2x, but when I look at what all the things I will be missing 2007 trip might be coming! C U THEN!

Sign~>> Ms. Chins

Worksop, England, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

I stayed at the Riu as a party of 8, we had a range of ages in our group from 9 years to 50 years old. we had a great time.

Check in / out: check in took 10 minutes and I took my own luggage as I didn't want to wait for the bellboy, my room was at the far side of the hotel (Not near Sandals) over looking the ocean and the wedding gazebo which was amazing

The food was very good I'm an early riser so was at breakfast for 7am and found that there was very fresh food available in the St Anns buffet and no queues - I booked most of the a la carte restuarants within 10 minutes every morning - the only one I didn't rate was the asian (mandalay) restuarant, but the steakhouse (plantation) was very good, my mother has a very weak stomach and DID NOT get ill (hurrah!) - the BBQ on the beach was good at lunch. The bars are great and plenty of drinks throughout the day and evening and coffe and popcorn machines are around the resort (great for the kids)

the entertainment was second to none it was from early morning with a beach party at lunch and nightly entertainment which was always very busy and amazing.

our room was very good and always clean the maids were excellant although the key cards are a pain when they don't work but recption are very helpful, you get a safety deposit box in with the AI - so thats good

the gym and whirlpool are very good although the sauna is very artificial, you do have to be over 18 to use the gym as my sister found out.

the hotel shops are expensive (aren't they always!) but do sell nice gifts which I did buy for friends.

the beach is good but small and you cannot walk very far but it is clean and good for kids the water is calm most of the time, the pools are good and seats are always available I ended the holiday with more towels cards than anyone else (and don't know how) the pool staff are honest ( I lost a bag of gifts from the shop and they saved them for me)

the local vendors are a nightmare but then I was a mid 20's girl walking on her own most of the time - be very firm and say no unfortunetely on our first day we got stung for £100 for hair braiding as we took Jamacian dollars and we agreed a price but they were talking in US Dollars so be careful, my advice is take US dollars as the hotel will not exchange into US dollars only jamaican dollars

all in all a very good resort and would go again and take my partner and daughter this time!

• Stayed January 2006
Racine, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the riu ocho rios and had a fabulous time. Went with my husband and two girlfriends. Yes the bus ride from the Montego Bay airport is about 1.5 to 2 hours but it seems to go by pretty quickly and it gives you a chance to to view some of the countryside and small towns and the people of Jamaica. Its not much cultural exposure but its a start and it might be the only time alot of people will see anything beyond their perfectly manicured resort.

We had two rooms in building three. House keeping was excellent.

Only had dinner in buffet (St Annes I believe) and we found it to be just fine but we have all done all inclusives before so we were prepared for buffet food. Actually, the riu's buffet was quite good. People need to remember when they refer to this hotel as a "5 star", it is a 5 star when rated by riu and apple vacations and funjet and so on but when people think of a "5 star" hotel (at least in the US) they may confuse the afore mentioned ratings with say a 5 star like a Four Seasons or a Bellagio or Wynn Las Vegas. Don't misunderstand me, I believe this hotel to be superb for its own rating of a 5 star and a very good value and we will stay here again but it is not a Four Seasons or a Bellagio or a Wynn but keep in mind that you are also not paying $300-$900 a night just for a hotel room either. Your $300 (or probably less per night for the riu) includes all of your food, booze, entertainment, tips and so on. I just needed to point this out because I have seen so many people bash the "all inclusives" because they believe they have not gotten a good deal or "its not worth the money" because they are "rated 5 stars". I just believe that the "stars" need to be kept in perspective.

So back to the Riu Ocho Rios.........we spent much of our 3 days on the beach and in the ocean. Snorkling right off shore was pretty good but I would guess that you could take a snorkling trip out to a more colorful reef. We were there for such a short period of time that we did not venture away from the hotel, which was our only regret (the length of the trip)
Pools at the riu are fabulous too. Both have swim up bars. Water temp very comfortable.

Yes, there are many vendors on the beach but you simply have to say no and they leave you alone. They do have to stay close to the waterline so you are not bothered by vendors tapping you on the sholder while you are sleeping or reading on the beach.
The breeze is constant so you are always kept cool and this is something that I did not pay attention to. Our weather was perfect............80's and either partly cloudy or sunny but what you don't realize is that, although the breeze is keeping you cool, you are still getting fried!!! Needless to say I am an idiot and burned myself pretty badly, so be warned that even though you feel cool, you are not that cool!! At night i wore a light sweater (probably because of the freaking sunburn?) but I really believe that it is cool at night because most people (ladies) had either wraps or light sweaters.
The entertainment was fine for an "all inclusive". The kids that are doing the entertaining are the same kids that have been up all day, running all the beach and pool games and activites and they work so hard at everything that they do and do a fine job of it. Again, its not Cirque du soleil, but AGAIN, you are not paying for that either. The kids (entertainment staff) at this particular resort really do a terrific job of dancing and entertaining so its worth it just to go to a couple of the shows.
So in summary, we all loved the riu ocho rios and would go back tomorrow. We would recommend it to anyone.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

We just got back from Ocho Rios. I would NEVER go back again. The rooms are great and new, though the fittings were already falling apart. YOu sit on the toilet seat and it shifts constantly etc. The air conditioning was BADDD. We complained 3 nights in a row and they could not do anything. During the day apparently its not even on, because they have a centralized system. The food in the dining room as well as the restaurants was really bad-absolutely monotonous, and same desserts DAILY-we stayed there for 6 days and were so sick of it by day 3. They call one restaurant Japanese, but its far from Japanese, it was more Asian Fusion kind of food. They also tend to overcook their meats/fish etc.

The staff is great, service was so so, we had to ask for several things 2-3 times till we got them. The evening entertainment was excellent. The pools were nice and so was the beach. Very little shade for sure and a lot of vendors constantly bugging you.

The trek from the airport is not worth it at all. Its too far and the road is so so. We went with kids and would not do it again...

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2006

My girlfriend and I recently returned from a week at the Riu Ocho Rios, and let me say we had the best time. The worst part of the trip however was the airport in Montego Bay - very disorganized and the lines were ridiculous. The 2 hour bus ride to the resort wasn't bad at all. It gave us a chance to view the countryside and we stopped for Red Stripe and snacks. We were greeted at the resort with fruit punch and rum. Check-in was a breeze.

The resort is beautiful, large and spacious. Once we knew where everything was located the resort seemed more intimate and never overwhelming. Our room was very nice, with beautiful wood trim and the large bathroom was spotless. The fridge was stocked with beer, soda and water, and the liquor dispenser was a nice touch. The resort is grand and elegant, with marble and rich wood everywhere.

The 2 pools are amazing and there's even an infinity pool that spills over into a larger pool. The pools have built-in lounge chairs where you can cool off while getting a tan. Both pools have wet bars, where the rowdy crowds usually hang out - not too rowdy though. There are plenty of lounge chairs and we never had a problem getting one.

The beach is long and maintained fairly well. Also, plenty of loungers - no need to wake up early and reserve them. The water is amazing - clear, blue and calm. The beach vendors aren't too bad. Just tell them no, and they'll leave you alone. Besides, they are mildly amuzing, watching them selling their wares was entertaining. There is plenty to do at the beach. You can take a kayak, paddle boat, or sail boat out - all free. Or for a fee you can parasail, jet ski or ride a banana boat.

The grounds are maintained nicely, and there is a great garden area, with a man made lagoon and a gazebo on the island. A lot of weddings take place there.

The food was great. Those people that write about the food being bad, must be very fussy eaters. We had no problems whatsoever. There is plenty to choose from, even if you don't like certain dishes. We ate at St. Ann's buffet all week and didn't bother waiting in line for reservations at the other restaurants. No problem, mon. Breakfast was the best. The pizza at Piccola Italia was the best and I'm Italian, so you know it must be good.
The coffee was great, but stay away from the wine. Both red and white were horrible.
The Jerk Chicken Hut on the beach was awesome. Some of the best chicken we've ever had. The jerk sauce is Hot Hot Hot!! Great stuff.

The entire staff is wonderful. Everyone says hello to you and the service is excellent.
The bar staff was great, but some times at night during the shows, the wait time was long. They tried their best though. The nightly shows were great. Get a table around 8:00, as the tables fill up quickly.

We didn't want to go home at the end of the week, beacause we had so much fun.
The entire experience, not including the airport, was wonderful and we highly recommend Jamaica and the Riu.

• Stayed April 2006
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

We were there April 22 - 29 and we loved it. The people, the hotel and country were all beautiful. The weather was perfect but watch the sun. It is very intense there and the trade winds will keep you cool so you don't realize you're burning. There were some badly burnt people there.

Yes, I read all the reviews, the good with the bad and honestly the bad reivews were severely over exaggerated. I am a picky person who won't hesitate to speak up if I'm not happy and I expect to get my money's worth, I did.

The two hour bus ride, not really that bad as long as you're expecting it and your driver will stop along the way.

My one complaint was the wine (it was nasty).

Lining up for restaurants was a bit of a drag but the longest I waited was 15 minutes. Of course I didn't try to get into Sir Richards, my vacation was too important to wait in line two hours for a restaurant seating.

The Jamaican people (both on and off the resort) are warm, friendly and funny. They want you to have a good time whether you tip or not. I brought US$ for tipping and it was always appreciated but not expected nor did it affect my service if I did not tip every time.

The hotel, my hotel room and beach were always clean. If you can, I would suggest upgrading to a jr. suite. It's in a separate section of the hotel and every room has a view of the beach and you're so much closer to the beach, restaurants, bars etc.

The food was wonderful with lots of variety for everyones palate. We only went to two of the a la carte restaurants, Tushumi and Mammee Bay, and thoroughly enjoyed both. The buffets were always stocked and if an item ran out it was quickly replaced. The jerk chicken hut was phenomenal.

Entertainment was a blast, including the shows with Michael Jackson, Bob Marley and Grease. We especially enjoyed the Beach Party. The staff try to include everyone in the actvities but they don't pester you.

Beach vendors were a blast and most the time were just content getting to know you. A simple no thanks will suffice. It's very disappointing to see how blanantly rude some people were to them.

Dunns River Falls is a must. You can rent water shoes there for $5 so no need to bring your own. Soni's shopping mall has everything from souvenirs, rum, coffee to fine gold. The craft market.... well be prepared. You will get swarmed and it's very hot in there. The Soni's outdoor mall across the street has it all and the stores are airconditioned. Be prepared to barter and shop around because the prices fluctuate store to store.

In the hotel gift shop you can buy internet cards for their internet cafe, it's about $9 for half an hour. There are four computers in the 24 hour sports bar but be prepared if there's a problem it may take days to fix.

You can buy International phone cards in the gift shop and it will get you half an hour for $12. Do not call from your room without a card as a 10 minute phone call will be about $47, ouch.

Bring an insulated travel mug, smartest thing I did. It kept my cocktails cold and coffee hot.

Saw and attended a couple of weddings. What a way to go. The hotel does it all and you just show up for the festivities, definitely the route to go if you're getting marryed.

Would I go back.......in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!