“A lovely break in paradise away from the UK rain” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
London, United Kingdom
“A lovely break in paradise away from the UK rain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

To start: the transfer was fine, it took about 1:30 hours. It was an easy journey in a modern air conditioned coach. The coach travelled along the coast road so there was plenty to see and soak in for our first visual taste of Jamaica.

On arrival at our hotel we checked in very easily & within 15 minutes we were on our way to our room. All guests are given plastic wrist bands, whilst practical these were a bit annoying as when you ventured outside the hotel resort they were like identification tags to every tradesman with something to sell. We might as well of had the words ‘tourists, please take advantage’ written on our foreheads. If you do own any large bracelet/bangle ladies, then I suggest you bring them so you can cover the wrist band up when you are outside the resort.
Our room was supposed to be partial sea view, but we had no sea view whatsoever (thanks Thomsons), but we did overlook some beautiful tropical gardens. We brought our own kettle and adaptor plug however I didn’t realise that I also needed a voltage transformer thingy, the kettle would get hot but never boil, you also need a voltage transformer if your bring hair straighteners too. Our room was spotlessly clean, we never saw one bug inside. Yes there were some outside, but that’s what you would expect on a tropical island.

Food: we found the food to be excellent. The range in the main restaurant was huge. I’ve never seen the option for liver & onions at breakfast before, but hey don’t knock it until you have tried it. Tips- if you like brown sauce or Earl Grey tea, bring your own as I never saw any. We tried the Asian and Steak restaurants too, but to be honest, the food was the same as in the St Anne’s restaurant. The catering staff are amazing, every evening we were served an exciting array of food. It’s the Caribbean so expect local cuisine.

The pools were lovely, we mainly stayed on the beach, we were never ‘harassed’ but once or twice we were offered jewellery or ‘other stuff’ by a local trader swimming past in the sea, they were very polite and moved on quickly if you weren’t interested. It was a tad surreal though. They aren’t allowed onto the beach so have to trade in the sea only. There are security men on motor buggies keeping an eye on things. The beach is paradisiac.

We did the trip to Bob Marley’s house, which was a lovely day out. The journey was over the mountains and the views were exhilarating, we stopped at Devon House on the way, you must try the ice-cream there, and on the way back we went to a shopping mall in Kingston.
We also went to Dunns River Falls, which was a nice morning out, it was only 10 mins drive from the hotel. Best to bring your water shoes for this trip as the rocks are slippery. The market stall traders at the Dunns River were very aggressive, you have to walk through them to get to the exit, if you ask the way out, they send you back round again until you purchase something, me and my husband after going round in circles for a while noticed a hole in the fence and had to make a quick escape through that!

The Spa at the hotel I found to be really expensive, twice the price of what we would pay in the UK. Hair braiding was 80 US dollars, massages were between 100-200 US dollars.

Entertainment was first class, the staff seemed to work from 09:30-2300 hours each day. For 16 days straight we saw the same team but they worked so hard, there was a different themed show every night.

Oh and don’t bother bringing any Jamaican currency as we weren’t asked for it once, everywhere took US dollars, even little market traders on the roadside wanted US dollars.

Overall this was an amazing holiday, lovely resort and beautiful country. I would love to go again, but not for 16 nights at the same hotel. Other guests and the staff couldn’t believe that the Brits stayed for so long, so I think maybe a 2 center option would be better for next time.

Room Tip: If your room number starts with a 3 you will be in the building furthest away from everything, howev...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,277)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My new hubby and I.....along with 17 guests travelled out to stay at the RIU this December. Whilst the checking in experience was chaotic (despite sending an email about exact room allocation, prior to departure), the rooms were quickly sorted out and in the couple of instances where some of our party were unhappy with their rooms, they we're re-allocated to different rooms.
The hotel is much bigger than we anticipated and that did mean that some guests with restricted mobility found it challenging to get around the hotel.
However, that said, everyone without exception enjoyed their stay.
Our wedding day was perfect and everything I wanted.......and I owe that in part to the efforts and willingness to make our day special, by two people worthy of mention: Mr Price, Public Relations Manager and Raynford, waiter at the Steak House Restaurant. Both were willing to help us realise the dream day and show flexibility so that our specific wishes could be accommodated. We cannot thank you enough.
The professional service at both the ceremony and reception was excellent....and the staff joined in and helped to make the party the fabulous event it was.
The staff generally are hard working, pleasant and knowledgeable, the standard of cleanliness is high and the variety of food - good. Whilst the entertainment team produces some entertaining and professional acts, there was little specific island culturally specific events as part of the evening entertainment, which was disappointing.
The children in the party were well catered for and there is a feeling of safety. The kids club however, does need more interactivity from the staff and more interactive equipment and/or games.
The spa is not to be missed ! They did a fantastic job on hair and make-up .....ask for Stephanie !.... The massages are equally awesome.
I was anxiously reading the comments up to a few months before travel, but stopped as it was making more stressed !....however, I need not have worried. If you are planning your wedding here or a family holiday, whatever the occasion..... fret not - Enjoy !

Room Tip: Booking a deluxe room gives you a better standard of accommodation, wifi in your room and easier che...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just returned from a week at the Riu, Dec 19 - 26, with my wife and 10 & 16 year old. The resort was played up as a 4-5 star by our travel agent but in reality it is more like a 3 - 3.5 at best.
The resort is clean and modern, quite smaller then expected which is a good thing i suppose. If you are able to get a good deal I would recommend this resort but I will not return
The highlights of the resort would have to be the beach, the wonderful bar, buffet and house keeping staff and the proximity to off resort activities.

We had a room on the fourth floor which had a nice view of the grounds, pool and ocean. When booking we paid an added fee for an ocean view rather then a garden view but all rooms do face the ocean so i suspect the added cost is for a higher room. Our room was nice but had one king and one double bed which was not ideal for a family of four.
We ate at all three of the buffets and the jerk chicken hut on the beach. The food was always good with lots of variety. The Christmas Eve meal was outstanding with all the traditional holiday food and much more.

Our complaints would have to be the amount and quality of entertainment. The daily beach and pool entertainment was almost non existent. The first day we played games at both the beach and at the pool but after that there didn't appear to be anything organized and it did make for long days. The evening shows were the most lame I have ever seen. Generally consisting of a Simon Says or Musical Chairs pre show followed by a Lip Sync show. Scheduled to start at 9:00, they often started late and were seldom worth staying till the end.

There was a security issue that I informed the hotel staff about but was never addressed. Toward the end of our stay I noticed a male resort guest in his mid 20's wondering around the resort with a camera equipped with a telephoto lens. He was blatantly taking pictures of children and very young girls. He was quite obvious about what he was doing, hanging around the pool and beach pointing his camera directly at the kids. There were other guests that noticed this as well. I stopped one of the bar staff on the beach and he promised to send over someone from security. After waiting almost an hour I went to the front deck but again there was no action taken. As a father of two daughters this was disturbing to me. It is fortunate this was not a serious issue but it does concern me that no one looked into this.

Room Tip: Check out is noon. Between 8:00 - 11:00 we had six hotel staff come to our room checking to see if w...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I spent 5 days vacation on this hotel with my family and had a wonderful time in November. I want to clarify this not a 5 star hotel as show you in the "Club Hotel Ocho Rios" website, if you are looking for luxury this not for you. Another thing to consider is that there is an area in the hotel for adults only and this area is better than the one for families.
My room was clean, oceanfront and small. You can't see the ocean from your bed since the balcony was a half wall which I didN't like it but the hotel was full. I noticed not all the balconies are the same so I could say I was not lucky.
Besides that I can tell you we had a wonderful vacation. We did a lot of outdoor activities outside the resort that we loved it so in reality we didn't spend so much time in the room.
People in Jamaica is very friendly and everybody have always a beautiful smile to bring you which make you feel so comfortable and cozy. My son and my husband loved to play soccer on the beach every afternoon.
They have nice shows every night.
I hope this help you to take a decision.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

In November my family and I stayed at the Riu which was recommended by our travel agent and we had no regret. The staff was excellent, the food was very good as well as the beach which the kids enjoyed so much.

We also hooked up with chris a cab driver/tour guide who was also reccommended by our travel agent. Chris gave us an amazing time. We went to the luminous lagoon, shopping in town and to our best experince ever the Blue Hole also called island gully river which was simply wonderful. Because of how well Chris takes care of his guests he was invited to spend time with 2 separate families in Canada. He really made our vacation so much nicer.

If you want to avoid the big groups with the big buses I strongly suggest you give chris a call or visit his site at chrisjamaicatours.com

• Stayed October 2013
Richmond Hill, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

After a very disappointing trip to Riviera Maya, I needed to go away again to make up for it.
My husband and I left our kids behind and headed to Ochos Rios Jamaica in October.
After booking it, I saw that October was the rainiest month of the year in Jamaica. Oh well, let's see!

Well, from the incredible airport service to the most hilarious bus ride to Ochos Rios to the outstanding check in process, I was super stoked!

The check in process is the leanest I have yet to experience. Knowing a lot of people were going to check in at once, the staff set up a table with pre-completed documents, safety deposit box keys and room information. We were checked in and set to go in less than half hour - extremely impressed!

The resort from the outside looked gigantic but once in, there is one path that takes you from one side of the resort to the other with restaurants, activities, lobbies, etc along the way. Very nicely laid out.

The pools were stunning and although I don't typically go to the pool, it was too nice not to check out at least once.
Downfall: There were a lot of wasps around the pool bars as those little suckers were very attracted to the sweet drink mixers. No biggie - they weren't stinging.

The beach - Ahhhhhh! Like no other beach I've ever seen. I was in 7th heaven! Waters crystal blue and emerald and as calm as a lake. The ocean was always packed with people enjoying the incredible weather and waters. The sandy beaches were well kept and always a chair available for use.
DOWNFALL: They need washrooms and bars closer than having to walk to the lobby or far away restaurants. Shaded areas were via palm trees; the resort should invest in palapas.

The food - well now! The food regardless of which restaurant you went to or whether buffet to a la carte, the food was AWESOME! Jerk chicken to curry goat to ox tail, the Jamaicans have some pretty delectable cuisine!!!! If you're not into Jamaican food, there was a lot of variety and different cultures (Italian, Japanese, etc, etc) - all extremely good. The food was fresh and the serving staff were ridiculously attentive. Before you could even think you needed something else, they were at your table serving you. Our most favorite server Terry-Ann :)

The service: Up until now, I've held the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana the single most amazing resort we've ever been to because of their amenities and outstanding service; UP UNTIL NOW being the key phrase. Riu Ochos Rios is my new favorite! The people were so friendly and attentive, always making sure you were having a great time in Jamaica. They always looked so happy to be there and you truly felt like you were at home. You could not walk anywhere without being greeted by one of the staff there.

The rooms: Very spaceous, very outstandingly clean (no bugs or cockroaches like other reviews claim) and extremely comfortable beds. The maids follow a checklist and they do not deem the room clean until everything is checked off on the list - we saw the checklist! While kind of funny, it just speaks to their dedication and how well they are treated as employees.

The entertainment: All day fun and frolic! You could choose to do nothing and that would be ok but you would still be greeted by the entertainment staff and consistently checked in on throughout the day. If you chose to participate in activities, there was no shortage. They had something going on every hour right up until the night show. The staff were friendly and so much fun! They did their walk abouts to get people involved in the fun. It was hard to say no - the fun was contagious!

The tours: We did the Cool Runnings tour and a shopping tour. Both were very well and reasonably priced. The Cool Runnings was the most fun I have ever had - from snorkeling to the Dunn's River Falls tour and to our final booze cruise on the way home. The staff, the tour, the everything was just so much fun! Best TIME EVER!

We flew with Sunwing and our rep Mama Sandra continually checked up on us, remembered us by name and treated us like family. While our flight was seriously delayed going home, it was one of the most fantastic trips we've ever been on!

While I am reviewing the Riu, I do need to comment on their choice in bus drivers to and from the airport. He was so much fun and gave us the tour going from the airport to the resort. We had a few stops along the way and some photo ops. When we headed home, he took us back a little more quiet, realizing we were all tired and needed some rest. He was very cognizant of his guests and truly invested in his job. When we thought he could do no better, the ultimate happened. My husband forgot his much loved hat on the bus after being dropped off at the airport to go home. He didn't realize it till we were checking in at the Sunwing counter. He ran back only to find he had already left. Some other Jamaicans inquired who he was looking for and called Donovan on his cell. HE TURNED HIS BUS BACK AROUND to drop off the hat to my husband. That is what I call INCREDIBLE service!

Jamaica is by far the most spectacular place to visit and Jamaica is seriously no problem! And by the way, no rain to speak of (except for night time where I could care less :))

I cannot WAIT to go back!

Room Tip: We were in Deluxe section on third floor;
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios (Ochi) for 7 days. I travelled alone this trip and was a little leery of making it known. Once the staff knew, they welcomed me like family. The bar and fridge was stocked daily. Room was clean and the staff was very friendly - the maid loved the Werther's candies I was giving her :o). One of the women working the beach bar would even come on the beach and refresh my beverage. The food was great and always hot. I have no complaints and am looking forward to my next trip!! Irie mon!! Take bug spray as the little flies (sand flies??) come out at night.

Room Tip: Definitely worth the extra $100.00 for an ocean view room!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!