“Beautifully relaxing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Beautifully relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Where to start? Incredibly friendly staff, any and all of which will go out of your way to make you happy; constant access to food of all kinds.

My boyfriend is naturally the pickiest eater, yet he ate food he never thought he'd now love. The food was an endless supply of nothing but freshness.

We stayed img the Deluxe Wing, and the pool and bat staff were your friends.

This is a place where you are treated like friends but respected like royalty. Definitely coming back soon!

No problem, baby!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,449)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

This was a nice hotel. I don't regret staying there if all you want in the tourist experience. the hotel is about 20 minutes away from Ocho Rios town center area or margaritaville. so there is not a lot in walking distance. The beach and the hotel is very nice and he staff is very attentive. If there was a problem we called the front desk or stopped by and let them know and they fixed it. The food selection was very good. There was jamaican, italian and american food among others. Most of the food was very flavorful and they always had fresh juices and fruit. The check in and check out process is a bit slow depending on when you come in and how many people are getting checkin in/out. However they have drinks available for the wait so it was not unpleasant at all. I would stay at this hotel again if i wanted the all inclusive experience again.

I didnt expect the taxi for tourist to be so much but that is not the hotel's fault, all of the taxi for the tourist are the same rate, however if you have local friends use them to assist with taxi service as the rates are much better, however they are not insured in the same way the tourist taxi's are which is why they are so high. Be prepared to pay $100-$200 US for a roundtrip taxi to kingston, montego bay etc. Also make sure you check out Blue Hole Ocho Rios.... the one all the at up the top Its much better than Duns River Falls and hey help you take pictures..its awesome.

Room Tip: Sea view is only gives you an angled view of the ocean. If you want ocean front ask for sea front...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

This is our last day of a five day trip at the Riu Ocho Rios. We had a fantastic time. The weather was on board. The beach was perfect. The food was good. Our room was immaculate. And the tours were great. We booked a Sunwing all inclusive. The resort was highly recommended by both tripcentral and our travel agent. I wish Sunwing had more reps on site. The waiting lines to see them were way too long. We booked on the deluxe side of the hotel which is for adult only. The suite was spacious, clean and renovated. The only downside is we didn't get two beds as requested. For us, it wasn't a huge issue and the ocean front view was worth it. We only had the time to do two tours: the Mystic Mountain and the Chukka river tube riding. Both were really worth it. All in all, with all the travel I have done so far I should be rating this trip lower but for some reason I can't really explain, I really fell in love with this place and I hope I will have the opportunity to come again. There is something truly special about Jamaica and Jamaicans.

Room Tip: The deluxe junior suite, ocean front, was perfect for us.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've just checked out of hotel riu and I wanted to review while fresh in my mind. Overall hotel and facilities were great. Food buffet was amazing and cocktails although they weren't as strong as me and my fiancée would have liked!! The hotel is literally on a beautiful beach. The location of hotel Is great for dunns river and shopping and there is a local restaurant called scallywags which do the greatest brown stew fish.
My only con would be some of the staff were quite unfriendly and not very helpful and the tipping can also be abit intense if you're not used to. Overall I would definately recommend and would stay again if going back to Ochi rios!
Also there are a few reviews that mention coackroaches, I didn't find any in our room during our stay but did see some around the grounds. But that was not surprising as we were on tropical island

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Overall, a great resort (especially for families). I'm going to follow up with a more detailed review. Awesome beach, great food, great service, nice rooms, very spacious resort, super great entertainment

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Let me start by saying that being a local, I have been to quite a few hotels in Jamaica. I had the most unpleasant experience of staying at Riu Negril a few months ago and was totally against going to any other Riu property ever again, but, I had already made a commitment to attend a conference at Riu Ocho Rios so had no choice but to go. (Feel free to read my review on the Negril property as well)

After the experience in a 'standard' room at Riu Negril, I made sure to change my booking to a room on the 'Palace' side of the property. This may have been the saving grace. Check in was a bit slow, staff not a 'wow' factor but they did their job. The grounds were well kept, and general environs clean. Room was comfortable (but the bathtub was the same small tub as the regular category room). Restaurants were ok. There were times when items would run out, and variety was nothing to write home about, but was generally good. The Japanese restaurant was very good.

Conference room was nice, but I was most appalled to see that the exhibitor section was on the outside so vendors exhibiting were openly exposed to the elements. Exhibitors had to endure sun, and rain alike. So anyone thinking of using this area for any similar type of function....DON'T!

After checking out, while on route home I realized that one of my cell phones was left in the room. Thanks to our room attendant's honesty (Suzanne, I think), it was safely returned to me that very evening. For this reason, I have a formed a new opinion of Riu Resorts, and would not hesitate to visit the Ocho Rios property again. Suzanne saved the day! Many thanks to you and keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Laval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We just got back form the Riu Ocho Rios on Dec 14th. We were there for a week for a wedding. the resort is pretty nice. The employees in general were awesome at the exception of the last day when we left which I'll get to.

First off, you need to know, they have chirping frogs. They are extremely loud and you WILL hear them all night. So if you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs.

Rooms: Rooms were pretty clean. On the day of our arrival, our TUBE television was not working and the toilet was having problems. I had to call the front desk 8 times over the course of 3 days and eventually gave up. I fixed the toilet myself so it worked but it took about 15 mins for the water tank to refill and that was never addressed by the hotel. The television was finally replaced on the 4th day by another tube. I have stayed an much cheaper and lower rated hotels and had flat screens. I found this to be a little cheap. And though it wasn't the biggest deal, taking 4 days to replace it was unacceptable. We had no fan in the bathroom and exposed wires were one of the switches were supposed to be.Suffice to say, I was expecting much more from the Riu considering what they charge.My uncle and aunt had to change rooms times. The first ocean view room smelled like crap, they swapped them to a different room but had a garden view. Then they swapped them again the next day for another ocean view room. They need to get on top of these things...

Food: The food was pretty good. Good variety in the main restaurant. Steak house was also very good. What really bothered me is that there's no place to get any actual food after hours. They said the sports bar should have food but besides stale nachos and stale popcorn, there wasn't anything else. That can really be irritating when you are up at 3-4am and can't find ANYTHING to eat.

Beach: Beach was very nice, water was great too. I had surf shoes on so I couldn't tell if there was any seaweed but there were very few rocks. Plenty of beach chairs available all day. So no need to get out there early to reserve.

Excursion: Most of our group went to the falls and had a blast but it was a bit over priced at 93$ a person. I went to the laguna luna which was pretty fun. The water glows when you disturb it. The excursion was supposed to be from 530 to 930 but we left at 6 and got back to the hotel at 9. I felt kinda jipped when they called us out of the water so soon. We were supposed to have more time in the water.

On the day of our departure, our bus left the hotel at 7:10 am. We went to the restaurant and 6:45am and the food was ready but they refused to let us eat as they only opened at 7. We pleaded to just take some food and eat in the lobby and they refused. They told us they'll make an exception and let us in a 6:55 which they did NOT! We ended up trying to shovel breakfast down in 10 minutes and run to the bus. The bus started to leave without doing a head count and we almost left 2 people behind. We saw them last minute and told the driver to stop. Ridiculous... That whole breakfast fiasco left a horrible taste in my mouth. I was ready to leave a positive rating regardless of the delays in replacing the TV, never fixing the toilet, fan, sports bar etc but to deny us access to breakfast 15 mins prior to 7 just because that the time you open is COMPLETELY unacceptable.

My favorite part was when I was checking out, the clerk asked me if I enjoyed my stay. I listed him the problems I had all week and he responded with "well I'm sure things will be much better then next time you visit us" Really??? I just listed a bunch of problems I had all week that you either did not fix or took your sweet time fixing and that's your answer???

Anyway, suffice to say, I'll never go back to his hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!