“Musty, mosquito haven with a nice beach” 2 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Ocho Rios
yellowknife
“Musty, mosquito haven with a nice beach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We escaped to Jamaica for a wedding and this was the chosen resort by our family. The grounds were nice with a busy beach (Cuban ones are in my experience better). We stayed in room 3111 and were disappointed with the severe musty smell, especially when the door was closed with the AC on. ( I wonder whether there was mold in the AC ducts). Also, most of our friends/family were tormented by numerous mosquito bites throughout the week which we determined were occuring during our sleep. There were often many mosquitoes lurking in our bathroom.

On a positive side the food was surprisingly good with unlimited choices. The best was the amazing jerk chicken which was served in the afternoons in the beach hut. A must try!

The pools were very busy and it was difficult to find a spot, however, we never found problems finding a spot on the beach.

Snorkling was ok, although there seemed to be significant coral destruction. BVI and Hawaiian snorkling is much better. But for resort snorkling, I was actually surprised. Bring your snorkal gear!

If you're not one for dealing with heckling from the locals, stay away from the right hand side of the beach, especially in the morning. I was offered weed on many occasions and even cocaine and hash on others.

Overall, Jamaica was expensive for what you get. Day trips are very touristed and seem overrun and regimented. Other caribbean islands offer more, in my opinion.

The booze seemed watered down and wasn't of high quality but not different from my other all inclusive experiences. I couldn't drink the gin....

Room Tip: The higher end rooms were less musty I believe, especially the suites. Hit the beach in the morni...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us such an honest and detailed feedback.

We would like to remark that humidity is something very typical of a tropical climate. Our internal system is created to mitigate this. We are sorry to hear that we could not find a solution that could help you to enjoy your time at our hotel.

It also due to the warm weather and the location of our resort, which is surrounded by vegetation, it is possible that insects can invade our facilities. We fumigate continuously all areas to keep insects away from our grounds. We apologize for the failure to meet your expectations regarding this issue.

Please be assured that we have shared your comments with the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

With our best wishes we remain,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

What a fantastic vacation!! The hotel was beautiful, the food was fantastic, the beach was great (never a problem finding a chair), the entertainment was incredible!! The room was nice with a good view, but it wasn't anything extraordinary (we paid the extra $ for ocean view with no regrets). Every inch of this place was very clean, and I really appreciated the clean public restrooms. The staff was friendly and helpful. I wouldn't bother with paying for a deluxe suite as it was on a totally separate wing. I'm sure the room itself was probably nicer, and the pool area was quieter, but to me the best place to be was on the regular side of the hotel. Be prepared to walk quite a distance depending on where your room is. Ours was on the 4th floor and over the St. Anne's restaurant. We were centrally located and were very close to everything. There were a few ants in the room, but nothing to get concerned over. I also liked that we were only a ten minute drive to town and tourist attractions. When booking your day trips, go through your tour provider. Cheaper options are available, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for! I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor and close to lobby/restaurants. Ocean view is worth the $. I w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bathurst, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've travelled to Cuba twice (Riu and TRYP), Dominican (NH Royal), Mexico twice (Riu and Bahia Principe), and Aruba (Riu Palace). This was my first time to Jamaica and this resort met my expectations. Those who wrote awefull reviews, keep in mind that this is NOT a Riu Palace... it is not a 5 star, nor does it claim to be. It is a 4 star resort and I find the service was equal to all the 4 star resorts I've been to.

It is far from the airport but it's nice to look at the Jamaican culture on the way to the resort and our driver did a wonderful job explaining a few things.

Check in is only ok. We line up and are given a key to the safe and we can't go in the room until 3pm.

We were given a room (2127)... which is really the 1st floor... with almost no view of the ocean even though we paid for ocean view. It was also close to the activity pool which was really loud. We're not the kind to complain and we barely spent time in the room anyway but was disappointed with the location of it. Our friends who asked to be close to us and paid for the same room category got 5th floor and closer to the water with an amazing view. Wish we were treated the same way.

We didnt get the Deluxe section and it did not seem to be worth it... you might get larger rooms but that's it. Other than that, our room was decent. We had a king bed, a bit hard but we still slept really good. It was very cleaned everyday, and always got fresh towels and facecloths as well as towel art. We didn't use the bar in the room much but we did get a birthday cake even though it wasn't our birthday! We are guessing it was sent to the wrong room...but we ate it anyway.

The whole resort was amazingly clean. I witnessed someone on his knees all morning cleaning the tiles by the pool. There was also a cleaning lady for every public bathroom, always in a good mood, even singing at times. We could smell the cleaning products. The glasses we picked up very quickly by the workers on the beach and by the pool. I would like to see more garbage bins though as anytime I needed to throw away something and had to look for one.

By the way... I recall someone writting about "bug infestation" in these reviews... WTF? Really? I haven't seen many bugs at all, saw 1-2 ants, that's it! I noticed the cleaning lady's were equipped with bug spray too. I did however get mosquito bites from hanging in the lobby at night... but it's not anything too bad, about the same I would get back home.

The food was alright. I had a stomach flu before I arrived and I got better on the second day of being there, so I can say their food is good. It tasted good too. There are a lot of options at the main buffet and the a la carte were nice to have for a little change. We went to the Asian, the Gourmet and the Grill. The Gourmet was my favorite, the Asian was good too. The Grill was nothing special.

The entertainment was pretty good. I have to say the crew worked real hard... I saw them at 7am until midnight everyday trying hard to keep everyone happy. During the day they were by the activity pool and the beach and at night there were near the stage where they had music and shows everyday. The shows were just ok. I missed the steel drum and the beach party which I overheard were great. I was just too tired to go. The rest of the week,I found the shows were not as good as what Im used to at other resorts. The one thing I enjoyed was that there was a lot of seating, and tables in an open area... and there are 3 bars around the stage to serve us.

The bar tenders at every bar on the resort were all very nice and worked hard. It might be obvious that they are looking for tips, but I don't mind typing someone who goes the extra mile to make me happy. The drinks didn't seem to be watered down at all. I witnessed a few drunk people.... someone at the activity pool was way too drunk, could barely stand up straight and a bartender told him he was cut off and gave him virgin drinks. I was quite happy to see that they are responsible enough to do that.

The beach was great. There are enough place to sit. The water was the Caribbean aqua blue, the sand is powdery, there are almost no rocks and just a bit of seaweed...very easy to avoid. The vendors were really not so annoying...there were none on the beach itself and the few that was in the water stayed past the boyees and we politely say no thank you and they left us alone.

My one complain is that the resort is extremely busy. There is so many people and most days it was really hard to find a place to sit by the pools. The beach however had lots of chairs. The buffet is also packed when it just opens. It's also hard to find a place to sit at the entertainment area in the evenings. Do not come here if you want a romantic relaxing place. Overall it was a fun vacation and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a fun beach vacation. I would come back maybe one day if I have kids.

Room Tip: Pick a room on level 3 and up.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Arrived 1 April 2013 We were upgraded to a suite in the Delux wing on the second floor at no extra charge a very nice gesture and much appreciated. The suite did have a musty smell but it was clean and quite spacious. The lifts on our 2 weeks stay always had a terrible smell we tended to use the stairs after a few days, glad we were not on the 5 floor. The beach was great but not cleaned very often certainly not on our stay, one morning there was broken glass that could have caused a very nasty accident. Entertainment staff were amazing and very friendly. On the negative side to the hotel the food in the buffet restaurant had plenty of variety but was at best only warm, with the chef asking for tips whilst serving you. The worst thing about the hotel was the reception staff we found them to be rude at all times and very unhelpful we would not stay at this hotel again. No comparison to the Riu Negril.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Forked River, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

the food in this all inclusive was awful . same thing every meal, making reservations for something other than the buffets is a waste of time, its still the same food. the grounds are well kept and clean, most of the staff is friendly,u get some who are short with u and nasty. the entertainment staff was great.they give u cards to get towels everyday and u only get one per person. the casino is made up of about 10 machines, so if u like to gamble dont use this hotel.there is no room service or service to bring drinks on the beach. u must get them yourself. check in is horrible dont get there early your room is at 3:00.

Room Tip: dreams is fantastic resort
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

In order to fulfill every guest expectations regarding food, our main buffet and specialty restaurants offer a great range of food options. We were concerned to note that we failed to live up to your expectations. But we can assure you that we strive to improve our service daily in order to offer all our guests in house and future clients a pleasant stay.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,
Miami Lakes, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

For the $$, we were expecting better service and better food!

My husband and I stayed here March 27-31, It was a nice time except for half the price, better food and better service we'd prefer to go to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic!

Room : We had an ocean front room which was very nice and clean. Loved that they include a small bar in each room!!

Food: We couldn't get a reservation at any of the sit down restaurants (they said they were booked for the next 4 days) so we only at the buffet which was just ok (average). We went off property to a local restaurant called Scotchies. It was very good authentic Jamaican food.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for an ocean view... very beautiful property.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bathurst, New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

It was our first time in Jamaica and we were really happy to select the RIU Ocho Rios. Follow me on my week. Once we arrive at the Montego Bay airport, everything was really smooth, the bus trip from the airport was 1 Hour and 50 Min. Yes it is a little bit long, but we are in vacation so enjoy the scenery.
The check in at the RIU was different, we don't have to go at the counter, we get in line, pick up our lock for the safe and our key, and here we go. Really quick. Our room was really nice, we asked for a ocean view, our travel agent told us it was only $50.00 each, pretty good , but once we got to our room we were on the third floor, not much of an ocean view, but the garden was beautiful, no problem in Jamaica. So if you want a real ocean view, ask your travel agent to get at least the fourth or fifth floor.
The beach is awesome, if you like to snorkel, this is the place to be. On the left side of the beach, about 50-100 feet passed the swimming marker boey, you will see a huge reef with all kinds of fish, we even saw a nice sting ray appx. 7 feet long, it was beautiful. On the other side of the reef it's about 15 feet deep. Just be carefull of the seadoos, they have a tendency to pass between the reef and the boey.
The food is excellent. We didn't do any A la Carte restaurant. It's true that the buffet is almost the same everyday, but it's the same with any resort. There was so many choice it wasn't a problem to have a different plate everyday.

The RIU animation show is really fun to watch. There are working long hours, they look tired sometimes and i understand that, so please be respectfull to them. They work 6 days a week/14-16 hours a day. But they do put a good show everytime and of course with a smile.
I when scuba diving at New Island in Ocho Rios with Scuba Caribe on the right side of the resort. We when at a depth of 60 feet. It was my fist Caribean Dive and it was phenomenal. It was only $40.00. They bring you with a boat. They do have different location to dive, us we were lucky to go to New Island.
They only thing that bug me a little bit about this Resort was the sellers at the beach. They are not allow to be on the beach, they have to stay in the water, but they are annoying a little bit. If you don't want to buy, just ignored them, they will go away.
The fridge is only refill every second day. you also have 4 bottle of hard liquor in each room. The Resort is really clean, i would recommend to have more garbage bin at the beach. You won't have a problem to find chairs at the beach that's for sure.
One thing my wife and i notice is the Jamaicans are asking more for tips which we didn't see in Cuba/Mexico/Dominican Republic. Another thing, in Jamaica, their not fast to serve you, if you go to the bar to get a drink, be patient, that's how it is in Jamaica.
The Jerk Hut where they serve chicken on the beach is a must. Go easy on the Jerk Sauce cause it's really spicy, make sure to have something to drink cause you will need it trust me. But it's a must.

We didn't really use the pool cause we are more beach lovers, but the pool is really nice as well, good music, good animation, 2 bars, plenty of chairs with palapas.
There is a Casino on site at the Sport Bar, really small, we didn't used it. If you like to dance, and like Jamaican Dance, it's right next to the theater.
Overall it was a fantastic vacation, i would recommend this resort for sure. I heard negative stuff about this place, like overbooking, staff not smiling, not working hard, but for us we didn't noticed anything of that.
One excursion we did was the Catamaran with snorkling and the Dunn's River Falls at a cost of $93.00 US. It's call Cool Runnin's. One little advise don't pay that amount money for this excursion, here's why. We left on a Catamaran at Ocho Rios, we sail for about 5 mins. stop for snorkling for 45 mins (The reef at the resort is more beautiful) after we when for a 25 mins drive to get to the Dunns' River Falls. It take about 75 minutes to do the falls and then we came back on the catamaran for 30-35 drive back with lots of rhum. It's not worth it. As i said the reef at the resort is a lot better, the catamaran drive was just ok, the Dunn's River Fall was excellent. Instead, Check with the Dive shop (Scuba Caribe), i thing you can get to the Dunn's River fall for only $36.00 US. The falls is what you want to see. It's the number one Attraction in Jamaica. Can't wait to go back to Jamaica. Enjoy your trip.

Room Tip: Our friends we met were located on the fifth floor and said they didn't have much pressure in th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!