“So So But The Staff Are Great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Save Saved
You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #12 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Fraser Valley, B.C.
“So So But The Staff Are Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has been reviewed by lots of people and I suggest you cruise through them and make up your own mind as to whether or not you would choose this destination. I won't belabour points already made other than to say we probably won't be returning.
The staff here are warm and friendly and really try to make your stay enjoyable. The short comings of this hotel are not the fault of the staff but rather the policy and bad management. I will lay out the faults we found in point form.

1. Smoking - expect to encounter cigarette and cigar smoke throughout the hotel and beach areas, even the elevators and in the pools. We haven't encountered so many inconsiderate smokers since we were in France.

2. Food - The food in St Ann's Buffet, the main dining area for breakfast and dinner, is spotty at best. There were some good selections but they were among many so so to poor items. If you are booked into the regular class portion of the hotel, you will probably eat the majority of your meals here.

3. Wine - To be kind, the red served in the dining area was awful and the white was undrinkable. You could not find a bottle of wine on the premises, it was served from jugs that I assume were filled from a tap in the buffet.

4. Bar Drinks - Cocktails and High Balls were strictly from bottom shelf booze. Some of the bartenders were quite creative in producing some heavy fruity drinks that were not bad but, for the most part, High Balls were pretty bad. The local Red Stripe beer is not bad but stick to the cold bottled stuff in your room mini bar, some of the draught was rather flat and warm.

5. Sports Bar - The sports bar is a bit of a joke. It is located in a basement area that is normally populated with drunk American football fans, many of whom smoke and monopolize the bar area. There are a couple of pub type pool tables and there are computers along one wall that, I assume, were for rent.

6. Swimming Pools - The Infinity pool on the deluxe side of the resort seemed fine to me. Clear water and quite quiet compared to the other pools. On the other hand, the pool adjacent to the Plantation Restaurant are was a zoo. There is a swim-up, or stagger-up, bar populated with loud partiers who drink a lot and never seem to leave the pool, if you get my drift. The water is murky and would not pass a normal North American turbidity test. Even where it is only chest deep the bottom the bottom is barely visible. When we were there in January there was a mix of regular families and the heavy duty partiers and I felt it was not a good place for kids, especially considering the language being used by the drunks.

7. A la Carte Restaurants - The policy of the hotel is to allow the patrons in the deluxe side of the resort to start booking reservations at 0800 hr while those staying on the regular side cannot access the reservations until 1000 hr. As a result, trying to get a reservation as a regular guest is fruitless so don't expect A la Carte dining if you are booked in the regular rooms. We had one evening meal in one of the A la Carte restaurants only because we were part of a wedding party.

8. WIFI Access - For regular guests It's pay as you go, although there is some free in the lobby.

Tips
*The ride from the airport in Montego Bay is about 1 1/2 hr. Try to relax because driving here is like nothing you have encountered before.
*Expect to walk a lot on this property. It is huge and to get from one end to the other is about a ten minute walk.
*Even though this club hotel is an "all inclusive", tipping the staff is advised. They work hard and do appreciate it. Take a pocket full of U.S. $1.00s.
*Hang out on the beach at the deluxe end of the resort. It's quieter than the chicken shack end and much better than the pool areas.
*The Jerk Chicken served out of the shack on the beach is great. It was the best food we encountered.
*If you choose to use the free WIFI in the lobby, remember it's available for 90 minutes once a day but if you sign off after a short session, you cannot sign back on until the following day.
*Do not rely on your out bound flight information provided by the hotel. Go on-line and check with your airline. We were given a check out time and a bus pick up time, only to arrive at the airport in Montego Bay and find we had a 6 hour wait in the terminal. Once your check out time is given, they want you out of the hotel.
*If you are going to venture off the property, go in a group and go with one of the operators who are authorized to pick up at the hotel.
*There is a small reef area off the beach that does habour some viewable fish so snorkeling is available. Be aware the hotel will loan snorkel gear if you are booked on one of their outings. I had my own mask and snorkel but when I went to borrow a pair of fins, I was told I had to buy them at the gift shop.

Room Tip: If you can swing the extra cost, book into the deluxe side.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

5,461 people have reviewed this hotel

2072
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Warrenton, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This isn't a 5 star resort but I give them 5 stars for quality in what I would call a 4 star resort.

The rooms are a little dated but still clean & comfortable. We got a free upgrade to a Jr. Suite with a wonderful view of the ocean & pool (room 1460). Our housekeeper Joan was a joy. She always worked with us, gave us everything we needed, and even called to wish us a safe trip home because the day we left was her day off.

The food was great. The buffet has something for everyone. Sir Richard, Tushima, and Mammee Bay steakhouse were all above expectations. I may have had the best steak ever at Mammee Bay (the master tenderloin). Someone gave us a tip that if you show up to a restaurant 15 minutes after a sitting time, they'll let you eat there if they have people who didn't show up. So we also got to eat at Mandalay which was just ok. We also tried Bamboo Blu next door and had the most phenomenal seafood of our lives.

The staff is also great. No problems with the front desk. The wait staff is very friendly. I had strong drinks the whole time. Ask for Adrian at the beach bar. The entertainment staff is wonderful. They work long hours and seem to stay happy and they are very talented.

The beach was very nice and if there was debris on it, someone was going around raking it up. We didn't spend any time at the pools. Why, when there is a beach?

We did a catamaran trip to Dunn's River Falls through Scuba Caribe at the beach. It is cheaper than doing it through the vendors inside. The falls are beautiful. We also did the Bob Marley tour which I don't recommend unless you're a huge fan. It is a long windy road to get there, the tour isn't very long, and if you go see the marijuana "plantation" (about the size of a garden) they'll tell you at the end the local fee to see it is $15 per person. We gave him $20 for both of us but it irritated me because we already paid for the excursion, that should be included.

I have absolutely no complaints about the Riu. Next time we are going to Negril and I plan to stay in a Riu again.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What an awesome place. The hotel, beach, pools, food, service and entertainment. My wife and I just returned from a one week stay. It was our first vacation in the south and we could not have anticipated anything better for us. Eat drink and be merry was our motto and the Riu delivered.

Unfortunately, on our last day our flight was delayed which seems to happen frequently with Sunwing. We were informed by Sunwing that our flight was delayed in the morning and were instructed to go to our room until the Sunwing representative called to inform us when the bus was ready to leave. Of course there was no call nor did any of the other travelers recieve a call.Thankfully I was checking with the Montego Bay airport departures to get an update. When I estimated the time to go down to meet the bus we almost missed it. Had we missed the bus we would have had to take a private taxi at a considerable price. It seems that the Sunwing representative's primary concern is selling excursions instead of minding the travellors.

We highly recommend Riu but Sunwing is a fail.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just arrived home from a one week stay and we couldn't be happier! My wife and I travel with three other couples every year to a different destination and this was our best trip to date. Everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make our experience wonderful,the only improvements they could possibly make would be to add a coffee maker and an alarm clock to the rooms. Going beyond the hotel the Jamaican people we encountered while on excursions or shopping trips were the friendliest we have ever met anywhere in the Caribbean. I highly reccomend this hotel and Jamaica for a memorable holiday

Room Tip: We had the less expensive gardenview room and it overlooks a fantastic garden, I do not believe ther...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This review is being written while still at the hotel.

Overall, this place is pretty good.

FOOD
The food is great, with lots of variety and selection...I suggest the jerk hut for lunch. If you like seafood, there is always something for you here.

ROOMS
The rooms are average. They are a little on the small side, and seem a little dated. Speaking of, rather than getting a key card like most resorts, you get a key...and I mean a key, as in 1. This creates some issues when one person wants to go to the room for a nap...the other must go to, in order to get the key so he/she can get in later without having to knock. It also is not as easy to port around the grounds in your pocket.

SERVICE
Generally speaking the service is good...I have found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating...UNTIL TONIGHT!! Tonight was the first night for NHL this season, and since the resort is filled with 50% or more Canadians, there were quite a few of us that went to the Sports Bar to watch the games tonight. We were told repeatedly that they were trying to re- position the satellite to get the station airing the games, but after an hour, I went to the front desk and was told the channels we get in our rooms are the same available at the bar, there are no others. Considering Canadians make up so much of the clientele here, you'd think the management would make the effort ( i.e. pay for the channels) to carry the sports their customers want to watch...in a sports bar! While it is disappointing to not be able to watch your sports in a "sports bar", I find it completely UNACCEPTABLE to lie to 15-20 of your customers and tell them you are trying to fix the gap, when you are in fact doing nothing about it!! Note: We went to the bar in the afternoon to ask about the game and were told we could change the channel to whatever we wanted to watch what we wanted...so it's nit like wanting to watch the game was a surprise and it was too late to do anything about it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chardon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We just returned and had a great time at the RUI in Ocho Rios. The staff was super friendly from a blue cocktail called a "baby maker" when we were checking in. We were also given an upgrade to a deluxe room without asking, we were to be given a garden view, but I mentioned it was our anniversary trip and would like an ocean view and they quickly changed it. We were a little overwhelmed by the size, but once you get your routine of where you are going, it is easy to get around. We were able to book reservations at the special restaurants the next day, for 3 different ones at a time, it is fair to all that way. My favorite buffet was breakfast with the made to order omlettes, and the fresh fruit which is served at all meals. We found the best lunch buffet at the plantation which is by the Jerk Chicken house on the beach. My husband would get that and I could enjoy the great buffet that they have there. The dinner buffets were good, we always found something we liked. When the pizza is fresh from the oven, it is the best at the Pizza restaurant. I understand that to serve over 2000 people food in a limited time period, it is difficult to keep it the freshest and the hottest. Our room was keep very clean by the housekeeper, with towels shaped into different shapes left on our bed. We had our mini fridge stop working twice and they came and fixed it, my husband is diabetic, so we needed it for his medicine. We did a trip that included Dunns falls alomg with a pottery shop tour and shopping, this was a good trip away from the resort, we had booked it before we left home. I think every one of the staff members was very nice and friendly, the rude people were the other guests who would put there beach towels on the lounges at the smaller pool around 8 AM and not be there until whenever. I preferred going to the beach, but this pool was the closest to our room and we wanted to do a little swimming, but there was no where to sit. We are not huge drinkers, so I would order a Blue Ocean from the bar, maybe have 2 or 3 a day. We enjoyed the shows most nights if we stayed to watch, which we only did about 4 of our 7 nights. We would eat and be done by about 8 PM and the shows did not start until 9:30 or 10:00, not being drinkers, we did not want to sit round for that long, but you had to to get a table and chair to see that shows. It would have been different if were with some friends. The weddings on the beach were interesting to watch, they said they have about 3 a day. We did enjoy our trip, coming home there was a Delta airline problem, so we missed a connection in Atlanta, Delta paid for our room, but we did not realize the food voucher was only for $6.00( we had 4, 2 for dinner, 2 for breakfast), thinking we would eat good for "free", ending up costing us $80.00 at the hotel, it 10 PM and we were hungry and tired. We also had to pay an additional day of airport parking, but we got home on Saturday and did not miss a work day.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and did not hear A/C unit noise.Our room was a deluxe which gave us a littl...
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

STAFF:
Excellent and hard working. We found them to be quite helpful and friendly.
They ask if you need help if you are looking lost, say hello, give directions, answer questions, know if you are just passing by, etc. All employees were refined and high caliber and we
were very impressed. There were definitely no loafers, loud mouths, eyeball rollers, sighers, or rude staff whatsoever.

CHECK-IN:
We arrived about 3:30pm and we Went right up to the desk as there was no line. Check-in process took two minutes. The bellman took our bags immediately and we were in our room within a few minutes.

We did notice that for group check-ins, there is a separate table in the lobby. This seems to solve the problem of individuals not having to wait in a long line behind groups.

CONCIERGE:
Special recognition and thanks to Richard. He always had a genuine smile and more than happy to help and answer questions. We cannot say that about the other two young women that were disengaged perhaps only lacking training in customer service.

FOOD:
We loved it and think that some things may have changed since other reviews were posted. The food was flavorful and not overly salted. There is plenty of Jamaica food inside at the buffet such as jerk chicken, curried goat, callaloo, rice and peas, steamed pumpkin, sweet potato pie, lemongrass tea, oats porridge, cornmeal porridge, hot cocoas, etc. There was enough variety at the buffet to make different meals and we did not find it redundant at all. There were nightly international dishes each night by the entrance to the buffet such as Chinese fried rice and beef and jerk chicken and rice and peas. One night, they had tacos inside.

The food was fresh, plentiful, temperate and flavorful and the serving and dining areas were kept clean. The buffet dining area is very nice with cloth tablecloths and napkins. We ate at the Italian restaurant for a few late dinners and that was good as well. We ate at Mandalay which was also very good.

The staff work very hard to keep the trays filled, hot/cold, and clean and take pride in their work.

RESERVATIONS:
Due to the reviews about long lines at 8am, we went down at about 8:10am. There were two other couples ahead of us and we were finished within ten minutes. The reservations person is in the lobby of the deluxe wing until 10am then goes to the standard wing so there is plenty of time to make reservations if you don't want to line up at 8am. We didn't see any delays nor experience any ourselves.

ROOM:
Very nice, pretty clean, plenty of towels, toiletries, etc. The only issue is the floor which needs to be wet mopped at least between guests. It was sticky which got my feet dirty, so I wore shoes in the room. One housekeeper swept the room with a towel on the broom and another literally whisked it around the room every which way never picking up the debris. One other suggestion is clean under the glass tops on the tables at least between guests. Housekeeping is very nice and they most certainly have their hands full and are probably a bit rushed.

BED:
Comfortable and we slept well. Four soft pillows of varying degrees. Bed was firm neither hard nor super soft. Comfortable blanket.

WEATHER:
There was a change in the jet stream and we had very high winds of about 40mph for the first three days along with clouds and showers overnight, morning and afternoon. Good beach afternoon the day after then back to clouds and showers the next day which was a total loss for the beach and pool. The next two days were better and mostly sunny.

GARDENS:
Very pretty and immaculately kept.

BUILDINGS, GROUNDS, ELEVATORS:
Very well kept, no issues with the elevators. Beautiful lobby, windows in hallways and stairwells. Although the facility is very large you can walk from one end to the other in about ten minutes.

POOLS:
Very pretty and clean with plenty of room, chairs, and towels. Thanks to someone's photograph, on the way back from the spa we oddly enough did seek out and see the suntan lotion buildup at the corner of the standard pool at the end of the day. Perhaps if the life guard did not have to pick up after people who have forgotten how to return a glass to the bar on their way to get another drink, he would have some more time to help keep the pool clean.

The pool chair fanatics start claiming their favorite chairs at daybreak with their used towel from the previous day. This is nutty behavior in my opinion since this isn't Sandals and there are no butlers to compete against. The chairs then sit with the used towel on it until the squatters decide to come to the pool. This behavior is unfair to those who arrive when they actually are going to use the pool. I wish the hotel wouldn't allow this and simply pick up all the used towels when the pool opens.

SECURITY:
We felt very safe and had no incidents. Security is present but low key and nearly invisible. At night, we saw them patrolling the pool, beach, and water and occasionally used a large light. There was one minor drunken pushing match in the standard side pool that was quickly disbanded by the lifeguard and security guard who came out of nowhere.

RENOVA SPA:
Exquisite. Very modern, clean, relaxing, and upscale. I had the best manicure and pedicure ever by Nicole. It looked like a french manicure and Nicole even scrubbed my rings.

VENDORS:
Not bothersome at all. There were two or three at the most who stand in the water selling necklaces and bamboo mugs. At most, they said hello and asked if you wanted to look at their merchandise. They were not pushy whatsoever and it seemed that once they addressed you,
they didn't bother you the rest of the day. There were the jet ski vendors outside the ropes but they didn't talk to us at all.

TRANSPORTATION:
We booked the bus along with our room which at $10 per person each way is a bargain. We later decided to book private transportation and after looking at the major ones that appear in Web search results, we chose Jamaica Customized Vacations & Tours. They had the best price, accept PayPal and both drivers were mature, professional, men. Communication was excellent and we dealt with Troy via email who responded quickly. Our rides were waiting at both the airport and hotel.

KEY CARDS:
Only had one issue when it was next to the cell phone. We didn't do that again and did not have a problem again.

ACTIVITIES:
Plenty for people of all ages and activity levels. Sports on the beach, pool games, water sports, weddings, disco, parties all which quieted down at midnight. There were quiet spots in the lobby by the Italian restaurant and also around the corner from the Photoshop.

THE UNUSUAL:
1) Received a phone call at 6pm four days after checking in supposedly from the front desk asking how our stay was. Some inquiries as to when we were checking out and what room we were in. These made us feel uncomfortable having the possibility of a set up.

2) The WATA brand bottled water that is supplied contains salt and minerals according to the label. It does not list what the minerals are. We were very surprised to find the additional salt. I had been experiencing swollen fingers and as soon as I stopped drinking it and switched to tap water, the swelling subsided. Perhaps the salt and minerals are good for those who work hard manually outside all day but not for those looking to relax on a lounge chair.

AIR CONDITIONING & HOT WATER:
The air conditioning worked fine. It doesn't make it like a meat locker if that is what you are looking for but it definitely kept it comfortably cool. No issues with water and especially hot water.

BUGS:
No mosquitoes or sand fleas. Only one night of the entire week did we see a few ants trailing around the mini bar. One crawling bug in the bathroom one afternoon but it was too slow to be a roach. We were also very careful not to leave glasses or bottles out and kept them in the refrigerator. Note that the hotel does ask that you don't bring food back to the room.

GUESTS:
A varied mix of very nice people. Everyone seemed relaxed and having a good time whatever they were doing.

GUEST SUGGESTION:
Please do not leave soda bottles, glasses, plates, silverware or trash on the beach or in the ashtrays by the elevators. Since you're en route, carry it to a trashcan, drop it off at the housekeeping cart or return the glass/dish/fork to one of the many bars or restaurants you'll be passing. This unsightly mess is unsanitary, attracts bugs, smells, and ruins the beach and facility for others. The people that did this displayed the utmost in poor manners, inconsideration, and laziness. Remember that the hotel asks that you not bring food back to your room for pest control reasons.

WOULD WE RETURN:
Definitely yes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!