“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

You added ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios to your Saves list
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mammee Bay, St Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #12 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This was my first trip to Jamaica. I debated which hotel to choose, but selected the Riu based on recommendations from friends. Wow! What a great choice. The hotel is beautiful. My ocean view room overlooked the pool area. The room was spacious, and the beverages were always stocked. We really enjoyed the nightly entertainment, and the meals were of high quality. I used travel services through Island Transfers & Tours. The owner, Byron, was punctual, and really made our vacation memorable. He drove us from the airport to the Riu in Ocho Rios. He also offers transportation to anywhere in the country. Island Transfers & Tours was also recommended to us by a friend. We had a wonderful 7 night stay in Jamaica, and will utilize both, Island Transfers & Tours and the Riu when we visit Jamaica again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,456)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I recently went to my cousin's wedding at the hotel and stayed one night.
The actual wedding site was private yet beautiful with many places to take very picturesque photos. My family and I made sure we indulged in this! The wedding reception was also private, away from the general throng of the hotel which was great and again very spacious and enabled us all to party hard!

The following morning we all indulged in brekafast at the restaurant which supplied a wide range of freshly prepared food and drink catering for all nations. Could have had so much more!!! There was never a problem with finding somewhere to sit or being served with tea, coffee or any beverage at the table. Much respect to theserving staff.

We hit the beach not long after that which was private, extremely clean and uncluttered despite the size of the hotel. We didn't have to search for a sun lounger and we were inches away fromt he amazing blue sea. None of us wanted to leave until we saw the beach aerobics class which was fun and showed just how crazy the beach staff were crazy guys but great fun. We had a couple of custom made cocktails at the beach bar to cool down, just what we needed!

The rooms had beuatiful views and were very cean, fridges full of various beverages - faultless.

Unfotunately there were a few issues which would make me think twice about staying at this partcular hotel.

It took us over an hour to check in which was totally unacceptible espcially as we had called ahead to book into one of our rooms early as we were attending the wedding. When we got into our rooms, one of them was clearly for two people but because of the delay in checking in, we were unable to report the problem until after the wedding and were told the problem would be sorted out. Or arriving back to the room later that evening we were presented with a 'courtesy' pull out bed for the 3rd person. We immediately contaced reception and were passed from pillar to post and at one point were shouted out. The problem was not resolved and neither did anyone try to contact us to resolve it. On checking out, we spoke to the duty manager who was very nice in saying that there was nothing she could do but apologise and the policy of the hotel is to book by room category, not by person to which we expressed that the policy needs reviewing as we were not the only people complaining. I was a little shocked by the fact that they were arguing with us as apposed to trying to appease but that may have to do with the fact that they already had our money as you pay when you check in!!!!

In short, 3 people often pay to stay in a room catered and prepared for two. I guess they are making a lot of money from this whichhelps keep the beach clean and makes the owners very rich!!

On the whole it is a fantastic hotel but if they sorted out their issues and improved their level of customer service, it could be amazing.

Room Tip: Check the room you are getting if there are 3 adult travelling. The categorise them by seaview and n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
middlesbrough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

once again was amazed at another riu hotel.food was very good,entertainment team done an excellent job although im not a great lover of hotel entertainment teams i would say this was the best ive ever seen.al a carte restaurants were excellent,especially the sir richard and the japanese.staff were very friendly and helpful.the only downside to this holiday is the vendors when you leave the complex,they give you a free gift of a wood carving free for your wife then demand 20 dollars for the matching one,and they get aggressive if you dont pay.this happened in the town where we were approached by a man,we were told to ignore them if you didnt want to buy,but this got him aggitated and after a lot of shoutin he called one of our wives a racist pig.the local rangers on duty told us to leave immediately.we also hired a little fishing boat what is moored to the left of the hotel beach who took us to dunnes falls and some extra falls and to a lovelt beach were james bond was filmed.i would recommend this hotel always but be careful outside complex

Room Tip: we were in block 3 in room 3232 and the view wasnt very good because there are a lot of trees but th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I spent 8 days at the Riu Ocho Rios from August 3-11 with my sister, this was my 16th trip to Jamaica and her first and my first stay at the Riu Ocho Rios. While this resort was one of several recommended to me by my travel agent I always read reviews and look at photos from Trip Advisor and other sites when making my choice so I wanted to write a review of my own experience and address some of the specific issues that were of note to me when I made my choice.
First, regarding our arrival to Jamaica which has nothing to do with the Riu but may be helpful when planning a trip. I have always traveled so that I arrived and departed on a weekday but this trip work schedules required us to arrive and depart on Saturday. Our trip also coincided with the weekend just days prior to Jamaican Independence Day. While being in Jamaica for their Independence Day was a good experience itself since I have come to love the people and culture our arrival was a bit of a shock to me as the immigration and customs area was more crowded than I could have ever imagined it being. Several planes landed the same time as ours and the procession stopped nearly at the first restrooms you encounter (for those who have been before). While many people just stood and chatted and tried to move along as you might expect you should there were those that just couldn’t seem to mind their manners, pushing and cutting and literally invading the small amount of personal space one should be afforded in such circumstances. For an hour I had the same woman literally hanging on my carry-on bag and breathing down my neck as she complained loudly about the line. It took us 2 hours just to get through immigration, then we had to clear customs which was much faster but I have still never experienced such a crowd. If you can, travel on weekdays and avoid holidays.
Once through the formalities we quickly found the desk to get our transport to the resort. The usual tipping and decline of “smoke” and we were loaded up. For first timers be prepared for a couple things…the guys at the airport are making their living taking your bags to your transport vehicle and they really rely on your tips, look around as you travel to your resort and you’ll see the average wage is mighty low. An acceptable tip is $1 per bag they handle for you, I usually keep my carryon with me on my lap so I have access to my camera and things so I don’t tip for that bag. You’re on vacation for crying out loud, let them handle the suitcase for you and hand them a buck. As for “drugs”…yep, marijuana is legal for Jamaicans and it’s a part of their lifestyle, it’s THEIR country so leave your attitude at home. Many tourists come looking for the stuff even though it’s illegal which has encouraged them to ask right off if you want to buy. I simple and polite no and they will not push you further, though you may have to say no to more than one person. Just be nice.
The trip to the resort also took longer than usual as the bus was FULL and we made stops at several resorts along the way. But, part of the reason for staying in Ocho Rios was so my sister could see the island and seeing some of the other resorts was nice too as long as we kept our attitudes right. It can make for a long day of travel but it’s all in how you look at it.
Upon arrival at the resort our bags were unloaded for us and we gave our driver a small tip…he was pretty quiet with no real chatter and info on the island so I didn’t give him as much as I might have if he’d been more of a “tour guide” type. As for tipping drivers even if transfers are included in your trip tipping is customary and some will expect it…$5 is average, if you really liked your driver and went to Ocho Rios or Negril $10 is not uncommon. We were also given a choice of fruit punch or rum drink and a warm welcome. We got into the line at the desk and were checked in what I would describe as promptly in Jamaican terms. Yep…they do everything a little slower there. You are on vacation so leave your attitude and your need for speed at home, just start slowing down right away and you’ll fare just fine on this beautiful island. We had booked a junior suite so we were given room key cards, my understanding is that rooms in the other building still have traditional keys. We were told the desk was out of towel cards and safe keys but that there was a desk in the lobby of our building where we could get those and indeed right by the elevators a very friendly lady who assisted us in a matter of minutes with both. No problem mon. They offered to bring our luggage to our room “shortly” for us but we both had only one suitcase each and we needed at least our carry-ons to get our clothes changed to get to the beach. Frankly, the idea of wheeling my suitcase with the carry-on attached was more appealing than carrying my carry-on so we just took our own luggage. If you have so much stuff you don’t want to deal with it maybe you could take the pieces you really need and let them bring the rest. A suggestion when traveling to Jamaica anyway is to put a swimsuit and cover-up in your carry-on in case your suitcase gets lost.
We found our room, took a few quick photos before we had our stuff unpacked and in the way then changed and hit the beach as it was now getting close to sunset and I wanted my sister to experience the beach and the water ASAP! One of the things I read about was the musty smell in the rooms so I was ready. I’m going to say it’s what I now call the smell of Jamaica. Every resort I’ve stayed at has essentially the same smell. It’s a tropical environment and not everyone leaves the AC turned on or turned up enough to deal with the humidity so yep, it’s a bit musty. If you can’t deal with it I’d say head to Arizona. And yep, you’re gonna take the smell home on your clothes and your luggage. It comes out, no worries. People who say they’ve washed things multiple times and can’t get the smell out…I have no idea what process they are using. It takes me about a week to get my suitcase unpacked and by that time the smell is gone from it. I wash all the clothes I take even if I didn’t wear them and they all come out smelling just fine. Again, this problem is NOT specific to the Riu so if you think you can’t take it don’t come to Jamaica. As for the beds and pillows which have been criticized as so hard, I described them as hotel standard. We stayed at a decent hotel the night before departing for Jamaica as we had an early flight and live a distance from the airport and I would say the beds and pillows were equal. Some hotels upgrade to tempurpedics or other high-end beds, you aren’t getting that here but they are certainly what you’d expect from a hotel. One thing I tend to notice in a bed is the “divots” and I didn’t notice that in our room in either bed. The shower does indeed not seem to have a light directly inside…frankly mine at home does not either. It was darker in the shower than the rest of the bathroom but I had no trouble seeing to do what I needed to do including shave my legs, I wouldn’t call it dark just darker than the rest of the room. Hot water and water pressure can indeed be an issue when showering at “prime times”. Again, I’ve experienced this at each resort I’ve stayed at in Jamaica so I wasn’t surprised and it’s not a Riu issue. I have never stayed anywhere besides Jamaica where you have such a situation but if you think about it probably 90 percent of the resort gets on about the same schedule…stay on the beach until about sundown then go inside and shower. I don’t know how they can overcome the problem.
Our room was an oceanview and it overlooked the area where entertainment occurred every night. Our first night there we were so tired and opted to go to bed rather early so there was a lot of noise. I was concerned this would be a problem but apparently that night we were so tired we fell asleep anyway. The following nights we started staying up later and while a couple nights we were back in our room before the music was over we didn’t focus on it and the noise wasn’t a bother. If you are a light sleeper and this may be an issue for you. Beware and ask at the desk when you check in so you don’t have to be moved. The entertainment is over by 11 or 12 each night and after that it was quiet. Housekeeping was fabulous and our room was kept in great shape all week. We never saw a single bug in our room but we saw a lot of people leaving balcony doors open and lots of food in the halls so it only makes sense that bugs could be in the rooms. There is a mini fridge in each room stocked every other day with several varieties of coke products, an orange soda and red stripe and this is free so enjoy. We didn’t use the liquor in the room so cannot comment but I assume they refill as necessary.
We ended up eating at the main buffet for breakfast and supper most days. The choices seemed endless and changed daily. How often the menu repeats I do not know so if you are staying for two weeks or more you may run into the same items again…lucky you because much of it was so good I would have liked to have it more than once. We ate at the Italian buffet for lunch once and for supper once and I preferred it for lunch for some reason…choices are more limited here but the food is good. The beach grill is AWESOME for jerk chicken! A couple days we had rain in the afternoon and they moved it to the area outside the main buffet. We also tried the buffet in our building for lunch and it was good as well. We totally missed the buffet in the other building this place is so huge. All the food was good, some I preferred more than other but that’s personal taste. I’m not a big fish eater but I ate fish at least once daily and all of it was very good. As far as drinks being watered down or weak, I’m not much of a drinker at home or on vacation and I must say I never felt much of a buzz off anything I consumed. So…it’s free, order another. It all tasted great and the bartenders were friendly and if you made a little conversation and tried to get to know them it seemed you never had trouble getting a drink in decent time.
The beach here was fabulous. We never had any trouble finding chairs, in fact we managed to get “our” spot every day. We never felt like other guests were on top of us or too close. The beach is plenty wide and the sand is soft and beautiful. The water is clear and there is some nice snorkeling just outside the swim area and it’s perfectly safe to go out on your own. We were there while a tropical storm was passing by and the staff worked very hard to keep the beach clean every day. The vendors on the beach are harmless and they are just trying to make a living. If you truly want nothing to do with them politely decline what they are selling, some are a little more aggressive than others but most aren’t going to push you too hard. However, they are just people and they are all very nice and if you take a few minutes to get to know them you’ll have some fun conversations and you’ll learn something about Jamaica. We actually got a great deal on some jewelry from one of them so give it a try. The jet ski guys look like crazy fools but I learned that they actually are paying attention to the swimmers and won’t run you over. Yeah, the sound and the smell of the exhaust got a little old sometimes but look up at a palm tree or something and chill out. Again, just guys trying to make a living.
As for the entertainment and activities it seems there is no shortage of energy here. The staff are awesome and friendly walking the beach every morning greeting guests and letting them know of a particular item or two that will take place that day and extending an invitation. You are absolutely free to participate or do nothing all week. There does seem to be a more active and a more quiet end to the resort with the more active end being toward the east so if it’s a bother you can plan accordingly.
There are a couple gift shops on the resort with the usual t-shirts, bags, key chains, etc type stuff. At least one of them also has a small selection of personal items…yep, they are expensive as everything is when you are trapped but at least it’s there if you are in a bind. The gift shop prices are comparable to those at the airport. I always enjoy shopping at the airport and arrange my transfer back a little early to be sure I have time and there is a decent variety of the usual stuff…again t-shirts, key chains, bags, coffee mugs, etc.
Checkout was also a simple process. We had no room charges so it was a matter of turning in our keys, towel cards and safe key.
We had an awesome time at the Riu and are planning to return. We hope to take both a large family trip with all the siblings and family and also a girls trip. The resort is great for people of any age and for most any group of people except perhaps a couple looking for the ultimate in romance.

Room Tip: The junior suite level and up have a double vanity which was nice for two girls in the same room for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

This was our third trip to Jamaica in 4 years. We absolutely love the country and its people. Make sure that you do some excursions if you can, they're well worth it. It will allow you to buy gifts and things you want much cheaper than on the resort. We decided to visit the Blue Mountains in the East part of the country (all day trip) and the Martha Brea river raft (half day trip), both were well worth the money. Keep in mind that this resort is about 1.5 hours from the airport, however, most of the bus drivers are excellent and you'll learn a lot about the country through out the trip. Make sure to jump off the bus during the scheduled bathroom break and buy some jerk chicken. It's much better than the one on the resort. Don't be scared, the people are friendly!

As far as the resort goes, here are the positives: The grounds themselves are beautiful, great beach, plenty of space to sit. (keep in mind that busy season is from Dec to April) so finding seats any other time is no problem mon. The pools are great and the entertainment staff did their best to keep the vacationers entertained. Some of the evening shows were a little lack-luster but they tried. Food was really good at the buffet. We tried three different restaurants and really preferred the myriad of choices that the buffet provided. The waiting staff was excellent and very responsive. Take a couple of bucks to tip, it goes a long way. The bars and bartenders were great as well, if you think your drink is weak, ask them to make it with overproof (63%) versus the special rum.

For the negatives: The rooms are severely outdated. We had two old queen beds pushed together with covers that looked like they were from the 80's. The sofa was literally dark from dirt on the arms, it was gross. The safe is from the 70's. Tip: Make sure to pick up a safe lock upon arrival from the front desk. Our room also ran out of hot water half way through the trip. We went 4 days and numerous calls/visits with the front desk and the issue was never resolved. Also, keep in mind that there is no radio or clock in the room so bring a watch. It would have been nice to hear some local reggae on the quiet days. Upon arrival our check-in time was at 3 pm, we got there at 4pm and they were out of wrist-bands and towel cards. We were asked to come back the next day. You would think that the resort knows how many people they're expecting and not run out? The calling cards a rip-off. It was $20 US for 52 minutes but every call you made that connected or didn't connect (4 rings - no voice mail) 3 minutes would magically disappear. There's also a $2 dollar per connection fee that's charged to the room at the end.

All in all, we love Jamaica and we're coming back soon but never to a RIU resort. We've stayed at Runaway Bay and Negril (other resorts) previously and never had any of the aforementioned issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Montego Bay, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I was treated to 4 days/3 nights at the RIU Ocho Rios for work and pleasure. Before starting work, I was able to indulge in the many facilities of this very large scale resort. I was staying on the Deluxe wing which I took advantage of the complimentary Wi-Fi. Stunning bathrooms and excellent pool/sea view.
Food was offered in great varieties and unfortunately only had time to sample 3 out of the many food options. Kudos to Jason (Front Desk/Reservations), Jason (security/bell desk), Brittani (dining room), Alesha and Selena (Front Desk) who were all exceptional in their duties and extended courtesies.
My only snag is that it takes forever to cross from one end of the resort to the other, it's huge!!

Room Tip: Select the Deluxe Rooms for added extras and quietness. Keep your safe key and towel key well guarde...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
vaughn, ontario, canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is our second time at the Riu, we did our 2009 family vacation in Aruba at the riu palace and was impressed by the service.

I had a wonderful time with my family in Jamaica. I was so happy that we did not allow the reviews to influence our choice.I was scared by most of the reveiws before my trip however, I was so happy my husband and I did not change our reservation We celebated my birthday, wedding anniverary and my 3 year old birthday.

The kids had fun and looking forward to the daily activity with boom-boom( thanks for the daily body art work and their stage performance in the evening). JJ is saying yea mon.

Amoi, thanks to you the wonderful staff at the front desk your help.

I was impressed by the quick response at 3am when one of the kids got sick, the front desk staff said it would take some time to get the extra change of bed linen to my room but, to our surprise the housekeeper was at our deluxe suite in ten minutes and replaced all the bed linen.

It was not perfect however, the beautiful grounds, happy staff in addition to the "belly full of laughter at the pool at 3pm and at night from the entertainment staff made all the fawls disapppear.

My family do not drink alcohol, but after one request in the dinning room for a non alcoholic beverage on our first night, we were surprised for the next ten night with a new treats.

Thanks,
Rui Ocho Rios

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!