We booked this trip very last-minute; 7pm the night before we had to leave. We had planned on visiting the Negril area, but we're so glad we stayed in Ocho Rios. The town is charming, safe to walk around & explore and has everything you could possibly need.
The Sunset on first impression was fantastic. The lobby is spacious, clean and welcoming. Check-in was easy, the front desk staff quite friendly. Be prepared to use a credit card for towels & room safes, and be aware that the safes are lock & key, NOT digitally coded.
We were booked into the North Pointe tower with an ocean view. As you can see from the included photos, we did have the aforementioned ocean view, but directly below us was a less-attractive metal flat roof. However that gorgeous water makes up for it in spades. When we walked into the room, the smell of bleach & cleaning supplies was quite strong, and everything appeared to be clean. The room was small, with two double beds, but everyone knows you don't go to the Caribbean for your room! It was slightly shabby, but adequate and was always cleaned my mid-day. Plenty of towels & bedding, no other frills. No minifridge, but a tea kettle with tea & coffee fixings.
The pools on the resort were fantastic. Well-appointed, very clean, and great to cool off. Not bathwater-warm like you so often find. Very cool waterslides and hottubs too. Always enough lounge chairs to go around and bars to cozy up to. The beach was less inviting; it was small and the water in the bay was quite still. However, this is because the bay has a reef (which offers great snorkelling!) and it keeps rough waves down. Again, lots of chairs & lounges. As well, you can book nighttime candlelit private dinners on the beach, a nice touch!
The food here was great, in my opinion. Something to please everyone. Please try local cuisine, it's so worth it! Curried goat, jerk etc...I enjoyed everything. The a la cartes were really well presented, especially the South Beach Caribbean restaurant. Very filling portions and food made with care.
Every single staff member we encountered was friendly, helpful, smiling and relaxed. It really heightened our experience & enjoyment of the trip. We met a wonderful young man who worked at the hotel who took us on a tour of the island...spectacular! A special shout out to Sandy at the main pool bar for his wonderful concoctions and great conversation.
All in all, a great time. We would go back anytime! Not a 4 Star but a solid 3-3.5
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios