We booked a last minute trip a week before we went. We got an awesome price and after reading some of the reviews were not sure what to expect. I must say we were pleasantly surprised. Definitely a great value for the money. It met and exceeded our expectations. Service and staff were great, hotel was very clean, the public restrooms were always spotless. The food was great. For the people that complain about the food they should go to Cuba if they want to see what crappy food is. There was always plenty of selection at the buffet, the salads and fruit were great. The beach parties and bbq's were awesome. The shows weren't the greatest but I didn't go there for that. There are two beaches, the south beach is ok as long as you don't want to swim, the water is warm and a little questionable, lots of seaweed. They have floaty rings you can sit on so that helps. The north beach is small, but the water seems cleaner as it is more open to the ocean. There are sea erchins there tho so wear water shoes. The sailing with the hobbie cats was fun and the snorkelling was fun too. There were some kids there but we steered clear of them. There are 5 pools so lots of options. The pools seemed very clean and the waterfall was nice.
The disco at the resort is a bit lame, the dj a bit of an jerk as he likes to hear himself talk in the middle of a song and is not aways open to requests. If you go with some other people it can be fun though.
The room... everything you have read about the North tower is true, rooms there are not that nice unless you are lucky enough to get on the ocean side. Our first room was musty smelling and had a terrible view. We had a bit of a hard time getting a room in the south tower until we insisted that we were not leaving the front desk until we got one. Finally a manager was put in our face and they took care of us. We had to spend two nights in the musty room though till something opened up in the south tower. Once there we had a great room, clean, not musty and great view of the town in one direction and the beach area the other way. We were on the 15th floor so the view was awesome. The only pain is that the elevators are small and even though there are 3 of them, it seems they are really busy and slow. I would not have wanted to walk down the 15 flights during a fire alarm. There was one while we were there but we were still in the North tower at that time. As for the a la carte restaurants we heard they were great from people that went, but we chose not to be tied down to a time. Trust me we ate well, we even gained weight! The beach side grills are awesome for lunch with there jerk chicken, or if you just want a quick sandwhich or burger and they serve till 2:00am.
The spa is great, we went for a massage. Its a little on the expensive side, but it is very good. If you get a chance to go do it.
The location of the resort to town is great. Lots of bars & restaurants are walking distance. If you get a chance go to a bar called Ocean's Elevin for some local live reggae, or go tues nights to see the locals do karokee. Its amazing to see the talent. Its totally safe, lots of sercurity even walking at night. If you can go in a group. You might get some people on the street asking you to buy stuff during the daytime especially, simply say no thankyou and walk away. If you are into excursions everything is within very close proximity to this place, dunns falls, dolphin cove, zip lining, you name it.
Overall we had a great week and would definetly go back there. Anyone who complains is just being too picky. Jamaica is an awesome place to visit and the Jamaican people are so nice, all you need to do is talk to them and show them some respect and they will give you the biggest heart felt smile you've ever seen. And they have a great sense of humour.
The hotel says you are not suppose to tip, but if you do it on the sly its very much appreciated. We tried to tip the people the typically would not get tips, the man or lady that is keeping the main areas and washrooms so clean, I'm sure they get forgotten about. We also tipped the water sports guys and the maid of course. If you can sneak the sercurity guards a cold drink. They work 12 hour shifts and its a long boring day for them and they only get a half hour break.
One last thing, during the superbowl the hotel put on a huge superbowl party with big screen tv's and lots of food. I'm not into the superbowl, but I thought it was really cool they why they did that up. I'm hoping that they are doing the same thing for the Olympics. Maybe someone going during the Olympics can let us know.
The only negative for me was the flight on Sky Service. This is my second bad experience with them and I will never fly with them again. There planes are crappy and old and cramped. I spend extra money to book the exit aisle seats before going and then our plane broke down and was replaced with a smaller one. So my assigned seats were no longer exit aisle, and I was told too bad, you will have to write them a letter to get your money back. Yeah good luck with that. If you have to spend an extra couple of bucks to fly on another airline, do it.
No other negatives, would go back to this hotel and to Jamaica in a flash.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios