We stayed here March 10th thru 17th 2009, it is a great resort. First of all the checkin went smoothly, took some time but had punch to drink and lots to take in what with the open lobby concept and bar in lobby. Frontdesk staff very helpful, could not get safe lock or towel cards that night but first thing next morning went to front desk and got them. Reservations for the alacarte restaurants were 2 days wait but well worth it, best lamb ever in LaDiva, GingerLily had excellent seafood dish and we could not eat it all as portions were huge! SouthBeach was nice for the outdoor atmosphere and great food. Blue mountain coffee with rum cream and decadent desserts to top of an excellent meal at all three. Yes you had to wait in line each morning to get all three but we took turns; got a coffee, got to the lobby around 8 and had reservations by 8:45 - 9:00, while waiting we talked to other guests, got tips on what to do and see and pointers on the restaurants. The buffet had good food with lots of choice, I especially enjoyed the Jamaican corner, after all you are in Jamaica, try some of the ethnic specialities. There was oatmeal or cornmeal every morning, toast and breakfast breads. Pasta made fresh for you at dinner and omelets in the morning.There was a kids corner that served pancakes, french toast etc for breakfast, hamburgers, mac and cheese for lunch. There was a carving station but to tell the truth, I ate mostly from the jamaican corner and dessert table which had lots of choices. I loved Jamalious, we had Jamaican patties, pumpkin soup, fish soup, and Ting; the local special sparkling drink. It served ethnic food only. The grills in the south and north tower served jerk chicken, grilled fish and american food ei. hamburgers hotdogs pizza and chips. Every afternoon after snorkling we would get a plate of jerk chicken and a mug of red stripe, sit on the beach and have a relaxing lunch and soak in the sun. Oh to be there now!
We went on the little sail boats, after a lesson we could take it out ourselves, fun times.
The entertainment was above and beyond expectations. We watched them spend the whole day setting up the pirates and wenches party on Thursday, the beach party on Tuesday and an outdoor party where there was a bar and jerk station set up outside. A steel band played music, people danced and everyone enjoyed themselves. One night drummers came in; FANTASTIC!! Another night dancers entertained. We left the restaurants around 9 pm, went and changed then went to the north tower to check out the entertainment which went until 11 or so. We then got a drink and went and sat on the loungers on the beach and listened to the waves and hum of the night. We would go to our room and sit on the deck and relax to close the day. The room was big, clean (great housekeeping staff), lots of toiletries and hot water. Only thing missing was a fridge.
The bar staff were very entertaining and would mix up their special drink for you. Hummingbird is the drink to have when you don't feel to well the morning after.....Bob Marley for the brave of heart and rum punch........it has a punch. They have daily specials which are good to try. Tip: take a thermos cup of some sort, the drinks are served in small plastic cups, Red Stripe beer deserves a large mug, and the bar staff will mix you a drink in your own cup.
All in all I feel it was a great resort, lots to do, central location, 2 minute walk to market and town. If you feel adventourous go to the left when you come out of the resort but do be sensible. Don't follow the locals, as you could get yourself in some pretty tense situations.
I would go for 2 weeks next time, need more rest days! We did the Dunn's River Falls, fun fun fun. and the tree canopy zip line. That was a blast!
Go, have fun and come back wishing you could have stayed
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios