“Jamaica-me-crz!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort

You added Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   * The resort will be closed until March 2015, when it will reopen as a Palace Resort * | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
toronto
“Jamaica-me-crz!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

Ok so I realise that this review may be a little late, but I am one busy bee. I love to travel and I have been to Jamaica on countless occasions, but never have I stayed in a hotel there. We were 5 ppl and our age ranges were 15months to 54yrs old. It is always my duty to find the best flights and hotel accomodations. So of course I took to the tripadvisor website to look for the best hotel that would fit our variety in age. We needed a hotel that was baby friendly, but also accomodated a 15yr old and 20yr old, as well as the older adults. This resort was the perfect fit.

1)Huge! This Resort is soo big that there must have been places that we didn't get an opportunity to venture to, because of it's size. But we loved it! Every nook and cranny was nicely polished, taken care of, and although at times abandoned, it was still beautiful. I didn't imagine it to be as big as it was. I think there was something like 8 pools and many eating areas.

2)The welcome. I have been to many all-inclusive hotels that promise a beverage upon arrival and so forth, but none ever do. This hotel however did. They offered us some nice punch as soon as we came in and our suitcases were put on the trolley. The check-in process was a little lengthy but nice.

3) The rooms: They were regular rooms, not extravagant, but nice enough. All we really care about is a clean comfy bed to sleep on and a clean bathroom; and our needs were met. My sister had the baby and needed a crib as well as a fridge to keep the bottles in and they were brought up right away. Before we could even hang up the phone, there was a nice many with our crib and refridgerator. Our view was amazing as well.

4) Food: The food was good, but as buffets usually go; redundant. This wasn't a bad thing, but I am a picky eater so for every breakfast I had the same scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and pancakes. (strangely enough, I lost weight, not gained)-Lucky.
But if you look hard enough, (not just at the typical North American food) you'll find some nice Jamaican dishes. I am of Jamaican descent and the food was pretty good, although I did not see any jerk pork :( disappointed me a bit. But definitely venture around the place and you can find food just about anywhere.

4) The staff: The staff for the most part were really amazing. Honestly I was surprised. As a Caribeno I know of the stigma that Jamaicans have; rudeness. And most of them were anything but. Very gracious, very helpful, talkative (in a good way) and enjoyable. It says on a sheet of paper once you arrive "do not tip the workers" as gratuity is given to them once you book your stay. However we did give a friend of ours some money. One staff member, she worked at the Jerk Hut by the pool, I did not like her too much. She wasn't rude to me, but was a little snippy with some people. I guess they weren't paying attention and she got upset, which is understandable, but regardless, I didn't appreciate that.

5) I am a person who likes to play in the waves, and this hotel didn't have that actually. Since they are in a bay. But it made do. I had to sacrifice one thing, but gained a whole lot. Even my 15month old nephew got to swim in the Caribbean sea!

I don't know what else to say, this place was a lot of fun. The water slides were fun, the entertainment at night was nice and the food great! I would definitely return to this hotel. In fact I'm thinking of bringing some more family members next time.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Myself and my partner (who is Jamaican) have been to Jamaica several times and as a treat we decided to book ourselves into the Grande! We usually stay self catering down the road for £50/night! Anyway the entrance and setting of the hotel is lovely but it is a let down. The food wasn't to my taste however the restaurants (Italian & Chinese) were quite nice. The staff were friendly although more so to my partner than myself?!?! All in all the hotel is ok but in my opinion over priced and in need of a little face lift!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Mississauga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I will keep this review brief because you have all heard it before on TripAdvisor - you get what you pay for at this resort. My biggest "beef" with SJG is the food - too much repetition - bland and boring. The a la carte restaurants are great, but obviously a marketing ploy as you have to book 2 days in advance - which is ridiculous considering every night there were empty tables that could have been used.

My parents had been to this resort several times - they enjoy it because of its location and that has nothing to do with the Resort itself. We never had any problems with noise or with pests in our rooms. The beach was ok and the activities were ok. If your purpose is to just lie by the beach all day - this resort is great...anything beyond that...forget it - best to go to Negril - better sunsets (in the winter months anyways).

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Our transfer from the airport was about 1.5 hours, which was expected. When we arrived at the resort check in was busy with the number of guests (full bus) but went smooth and the staff were helpful and accomodating. It didn't take us more than 30 minutes to check in and they bring you fruit punch while you wait. We stayed in the south tower and the rooms were great, no complaints. The only thing we had to wait for was a safe key, which was available the next morning first thing.

The staff at the resort were great! Very friendly and helpful, always asking how you were. Keep in mind everyone is fairly laid back and it is a relaxed environment, so don't get worked up if you have to wait a few extra minutes! The staff at the lobby bar were outstanding. They even made us our own signature drink and were always happy to see us come through the lobby.

The food was excellent. There was more than enough to choose from at breakfast, with omlette and egg stations (the lines move very quick), along with a huge selection of fruits, pasteries and baked goods, jamaican food, meats, cheeses, breads etc. We were always very happy with breakfast. If anything ran out, it was generally re-filled within 10 minutes or so.

During the day the grills served basic, but great, sandwiches, burgers, fries, jerk chicken and pizza. The lunch buffet has a station for sandwiches and the guy making them is entertaining! We also went by the Jamilicious cafe one day-- don't let the menu posted outside keep you away-- the food is good and they have more menu items than those listed on the board. We tried the quasadillas and they were excellent, and the server brought us a plate with a variety of tasters from the menu and it was very good.

A la cartes were good- we loved La Diva and South Beach; Ginger Lily was ok. We usually got in line around 8:15 am and had no problem getting reservations. Generally they would start booking around 8:40 or so to get the line moving (it's supposed to start at 9). The line moves fairly quick, as long as people listen when they say which restaurants/days are open for booking! The service at La Diva was outstanding, they even brought me a special dessert when I asked if they had any chocolate items!

We spent most days at the beach rather than the pools. We knew what to expect from other travellers photos (cruise ships, boats, etc.) and were more than happy with it. It's warm, sunny, the water is nice and you can always find a chair.

We didn't participate in much of the entertainment, we found it to be ok at best. We enjoyed the piano bar the most (open on the weekend) and besides that spent time at a few of the bars. Great atmosphere and lot's of fun. One thing we found to be poorly planned were the daily activities- a lot of times no one from the resort would show up for the scheduled beach activities (volleyball, football etc).

The town is a short walk, which we found to be convenient rather than a nuisance for the most part. When we didn't have dinner reservations we went and checked out Margaritaville and the Hard Rock Cafe for a change of atmosphere. A few days we wandered into town and did some shopping. The market can be quite agressive, just politely say no if you aren't interested and they tend to back off.

We only really had time for two tours: Dunns River Falls and the Horseback Beach Ride. We definitely recommend an underwater camera for the falls (buy it in town, not at the hotel gift shop!). We didn't use a guide and really enjoyed it. We also picked up water shoes in town at Pirana Joes and they were only $9, cheaper than in Canada! We went to the falls on a sunday when there were no cruise ships and it wasn't very busy which was perfect. The horseback riding was a good time, guides were great and it was a different experience for sure. It was nice that both of these tours were relatively close to the resort so that it didn't waste much of our time getting to and from.

Overall we found it to be good value for the money paid and had a fabulous vacation!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

This is a little long, but I relied on Trip Advisor reviews when I travelled to SJG, so I'm going to try to give the info I would want...

The Resort – The resort itself was beautiful. Open and airy, comfortable, and very big so there's something for everyone. We stayed in the South tower after reading reviews. Our room was basic, but fine for the amount of time we were in there. It’s not the Ritz, but it’s not Motel 6 either, and we had maid service in our room everyday. The hallways smell a little musty though.
The pool area is beautiful, with lots of different pools and a bar at each one. I will say that there is no shortage of bars at this resort – they are all over the place. The beach is nice too, but on days that the Cruise ship is there it blocks your entire view. It was cloudy every morning, and most afternoons, but we still got a ton of sun. Another traveler had a theory that it’s because the clouds cling to the mountains. As for evening - the lobby is definitely the place to be. But the nightly entertainment isn’t too bad compared to other all-inclusives I’ve been to.
Also, everything operates on Jamaica time (late night, late morning), and nothing really gets up and moving until after 9 am, so sleep in. You don't have to get up early to reserve chairs on beach/pool like at other all-inclusives, and generally speaking everything is slow to get moving in the morning.
One note - it is a really long ride from the airport. We waited on the bus at the airport over an hour because we were the first flight in and had to wait for other flights to arrive to fill up the bus, then the ride took almost 2 hours. They do let you drink on the bus, so buy some beers at the airport, and you stop for a beer on the ride. Same thing going back to the airport – long wait on the bus, and long ride.

The Staff – They couldn’t have been more accommodating. Check in was smooth and they went out of their way to accommodate our requests, our tv was broken and they replaced it immediately, the excursion staff were extremely attentive. We had massages on our last day, and the Spa staff was great (and it was very reasonably priced). The only thing I would say is that they are definitely not under staffed, and could probably use a lot more.

Food – To be honest, the buffet food was horrible. A few tips – for breakfast wait in line for omelets or stick with toast and cereal, and try Jamacalicious for dinner instead of the Buffet. The reservation restaurants were fantastic though. We loved all dinners in the restaurants, with South Beach being a real standout. Portions are pretty small, so order each course. Reservations are a bit of a pain, as you can only book one night at a time, and you can't get your first reservation until 2 nights after your arrival.
My biggest complaint is actually the coffee, or lack of it. There is a "coffee bar" near Il Divo, but it is kind of hit or miss there, and there isn't any coffee in the lobby or by the other drinks at the grills/buffet. At the buffet you have to wait for a waiter to bring it to you - a service I found to be lacking, to put it kindly. If you’re not a morning person, and/or are a serious coffee drinker, it can be very frustrating. You can get rum by the keg full, but the coffee is kept under lock and key.

Excursions – We went tubing on the White River and I loved it. The ride up the mountain is long, and scary at moments as part of it is off-roading and on cliffs. But it’s a beautiful ride through a gorgeous forest, and the river is so clear you can see right to the bottom. I would definitely recommend this excursion. We also did Dunn’s River. Amazing. It may have been the coolest thing I’ve ever done.

Shopping in Town – this is so overwhelming that it really needed its own section. Let me start by saying that I’ve traveled quite a bit, all over the world, and have a very laid back attitude about things. It takes a lot to frazzle me, but this broke the mold and totally freaked me out. The vendors at the Craft Market are so aggressive they literally will push you into their tiny booths which are covered in tarps, hot, and dark. It’s so disorienting that you can’t actually look at anything, and you start buying things you don’t want just to get out of there. Across the street from the resort entrance is a shopping complex with a bunch of stores. It’s a much better option. You can still barter on the price, you can buy beer in the stores and walk around the street with it, and it’s so much better. Go there instead of the craft market.
Also, I would recommend not shopping when the vendors come into the resort for the beach party, they price everything up compared to what you'll pay when you walk into town. However, the gift shop on the resort is very reasonably priced and you'll pay the same amount for the same things in town.

Overall, we loved our vacation. I love Jamaica – it’s very laid back, everything is ‘no problem’, and it’s beautiful. SJG was a good value for what we paid, and if you have an easy going attitude you'll love it like we did. As they say - 'no problem'.

If you have any specific questions about the resort I'd be happy to answer them. Email at dopegirl50@hotmail.com.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Princeton BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I travelled to Sunset Jamaica Grand Feb 27-March 6. We flew with Air Canada Vacations. Flight from Vancouver was 6.5 hours. Customs in Jamaica was a breeze, no problem mon! I would reccomend not to buy beer at the airport for the ride to your hotel. Only cause they will stop at a small restaurant on the side of the road where its cheaper. Bus ride is long but very scenic. 1.5 hr drive. Upon arriving at Sunset Jamaica, check in was a bit dis organized. For the amount of people arrived, there was only one person checking us all in. So we waited a good hour. But while waiting they brough drinks around. They also brough around a clip board for us to fill all our necessary info on. Once you got to check in was very simple, and the staff is very accomodating, we were but in the North Tower, but asked to stay in the South after reading all the reviews, no a problem. Just had to change the next day. Safety Deposit Box Keys are a charge of $100 US which you'll get back if you return the lock. Towel cards are $US15 but again if you dont return the cards at the end of you stay your charged.

Rooms-were clean, that's all we were worried about. I mean how much time do you spend in your room?? Food was good, a bit repetitive. A La Carte were fantastic. Just hard to get a reservation even if you do stand in line for a while. Some restaurants are closed on certain days. What bothered me is you stand in t his line for say 40 mins and finally when they are ready to take reservations they'll say so were only booking for this restaurant. That was a bit frustrating.

Lots of pools to choose from which were very clean. No problem finding a lounge chair. Beach was clean, just not a beach where you can walk for miles as you are in a bay. Cruise ships do come in daily if the ocean isn't too choppy. The staff are very hard working and are very happy people. We found out that minimum wage in Jamaica is only $US 50.00 a week.

We did the Dunn's River Falls Only tour and it was $US 25 where you go to the falls and climb it was only 2hrs but worth every penny. Was absolutely amazing, There is a man that comes along on the tour with his video camera who video tapes which you can buy at the end of the excursion. To the climb the falls it took approx 1 hr.

We also did the excursion to Negril to see 7 mile Beach. It is an all day trip almost 3hr drive to Negril where you get 4hrs at Margaritaville on the beach. This beach is gorgeous. After your time on the beach they take you to go shopping in Negril. Just not this tour is $US 60 but no meals or drinks are included. We did finally get a beer after we were leaving the beach but that's it. Then they take you to Rick's Cafe where you can enjoy the sunset which was amazing and you also get to see the brave people jump off the cliffs into the beautiful turquoise waters.

Shopping in Ocho Rios, is a experience in itself. Jamaican people are agressive but a simple "No Thank You" is all you need to say and they will leave you alone. But they are only trying to make a living. I talked to one lady and she said there are days where she wont even bring home any money.

Overall this hotel was amazing, staff are wonderful, hotel is CLEAN! I mean you get what you pay for! The holiday is what you make it. Would I reccomend this holiday? Most definately! Would I Return? Yes, In a heart beat.

• Stayed March 2009
New Brunswick Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

I can not say enough about our awesome trip to the Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios. This was our first trip down south other than Disney last year so I do not have much to compare it to but we had such a good time we have no interest in going anywhere else. We want to go back- we left so many good friends behind.
Our trip there on Canjet was uneventful (which is a good thing). Because our flight to Jamaica was shared by travelers to Cuba, we saved according to our travel agent about half off the brochure price. It was roughly $1300 each in total. We flew direct to Jamaica but on the return trip had to stop in Cuba to let passengers off after waiting 12 hours at the Montego Bay airport due to snow in Quebec.
We arrived in Jamaica late at night and took the shuttle bus to the resort. Our driver Russel was very nice. Before leaving, Natalie the travel rep welcomed us and explained a few things and gladly mentioned that the water was safe to drink from any tap.
The only negative thing to watch for at the airport is locals demanding to help with your bags after which they expect "something nice for me" and will probably ask you if you want some 'good Jamaican smoke'. I watched a man through the bus window pass the local guy several bills- I don't think it was for a tip.
Because it was dark we could not see much during our bus ride. Russel drove quite fast and we got to the resort in around an hour.
Our first impression of the hotel lobby was that it was huge and open to the outside on 2 sides and there was not a bug to be seen anywhere. As a matter of fact I only saw 1 ant and 1 mosquito during the entire week.
Our room was in the South tower. Apparently Maritime Travel reserves a block of rooms in that tower. We met several people that got the North tower and were not happy. 2 couples we met demanded to be moved and were. Our room was very nice and clean. I have stayed at dozens of hotels and the room was average but perfectly fine.
Our balcony overlooked the beach on the right and parking lot on the left but was very nice. (See picture)
I could go on and on about the awesome week we had but will keep it as short as possible with some of the memorable parts.
Staff
The first thing I have to stress is how tremendous the staff were. And I mean ALL the staff. Every single staff member we met treated us like we were celebrities. Yes they get paid to do that but they all seemed genuinely kind. We know several by name.
Kadeem Jones- Our awesome bartender had us in stitches all week with his humour and bar tricks. My wife told him several times she was going to take him home in her suitcase. Kadeem even talked to my 11 year old son on the cell phone and told him he was going to come to Canada to shoot some moose, play in the snow and be his big brother. it was very funny. We had such a good laugh with Kadeem that we left our email and phone number and I was very surprized and happy when he (actually) gave us a call tonight. We had a good laugh. He calls me 'The big boss'
Ralstan Campbell- Another Awesome bartender. He also did some amazing bar tricks. Kadeem calls him 'the master'. One particular night, a customer asked Ralstan to 'give us a song' and he did- he sang a ragae song acapella and was amazing. I have the video on my facebook profile.
Adrianna Bryan - a beautiful girl that treated us like we knew her for years.
Wade (The blade)- Sharp as razor mun!- another fun bartender would always say- 'If you don't see me you will hear me KaKaww !
The first night at the hotel, we were getting on the elevator, and the girl stationed at the elevator said hi to some guests. She asked 'You were here last year - in Room 725 ?' They responded yes but she was off by a room or two.
The Food.
There is an awesome buffet 3 times per day which is changed up each day.
3 Al a carte restaurants but they are a bit hard to get booked into- do it early.
Also there is a Grill that is open til 2 am serving Burgers, fries, grilled cheese, Jerk Chicken etc.
We had such a good time the first day that my wife and I both agreed we could go home that day and be satisfied.
I also highly recommend the 'Cool Runnings' catamaran trip to Dunns River Falls.
They call it 'the booze cruise' but they only serve liquor on the return trip. Good thing- I would never have made it up the falls otherwise. We also got a chance to Snorkel on the reef- highly recommended. Worth every penny.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!