Ok so I realise that this review may be a little late, but I am one busy bee. I love to travel and I have been to Jamaica on countless occasions, but never have I stayed in a hotel there. We were 5 ppl and our age ranges were 15months to 54yrs old. It is always my duty to find the best flights and hotel accomodations. So of course I took to the tripadvisor website to look for the best hotel that would fit our variety in age. We needed a hotel that was baby friendly, but also accomodated a 15yr old and 20yr old, as well as the older adults. This resort was the perfect fit.
1)Huge! This Resort is soo big that there must have been places that we didn't get an opportunity to venture to, because of it's size. But we loved it! Every nook and cranny was nicely polished, taken care of, and although at times abandoned, it was still beautiful. I didn't imagine it to be as big as it was. I think there was something like 8 pools and many eating areas.
2)The welcome. I have been to many all-inclusive hotels that promise a beverage upon arrival and so forth, but none ever do. This hotel however did. They offered us some nice punch as soon as we came in and our suitcases were put on the trolley. The check-in process was a little lengthy but nice.
3) The rooms: They were regular rooms, not extravagant, but nice enough. All we really care about is a clean comfy bed to sleep on and a clean bathroom; and our needs were met. My sister had the baby and needed a crib as well as a fridge to keep the bottles in and they were brought up right away. Before we could even hang up the phone, there was a nice many with our crib and refridgerator. Our view was amazing as well.
4) Food: The food was good, but as buffets usually go; redundant. This wasn't a bad thing, but I am a picky eater so for every breakfast I had the same scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and pancakes. (strangely enough, I lost weight, not gained)-Lucky.
But if you look hard enough, (not just at the typical North American food) you'll find some nice Jamaican dishes. I am of Jamaican descent and the food was pretty good, although I did not see any jerk pork :( disappointed me a bit. But definitely venture around the place and you can find food just about anywhere.
4) The staff: The staff for the most part were really amazing. Honestly I was surprised. As a Caribeno I know of the stigma that Jamaicans have; rudeness. And most of them were anything but. Very gracious, very helpful, talkative (in a good way) and enjoyable. It says on a sheet of paper once you arrive "do not tip the workers" as gratuity is given to them once you book your stay. However we did give a friend of ours some money. One staff member, she worked at the Jerk Hut by the pool, I did not like her too much. She wasn't rude to me, but was a little snippy with some people. I guess they weren't paying attention and she got upset, which is understandable, but regardless, I didn't appreciate that.
5) I am a person who likes to play in the waves, and this hotel didn't have that actually. Since they are in a bay. But it made do. I had to sacrifice one thing, but gained a whole lot. Even my 15month old nephew got to swim in the Caribbean sea!
I don't know what else to say, this place was a lot of fun. The water slides were fun, the entertainment at night was nice and the food great! I would definitely return to this hotel. In fact I'm thinking of bringing some more family members next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios