“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Florence, Colorado
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I wish we could have stayed another week! This hotel is amazing! The staff is friendly and knowlegable. It was a very safe resort. The food was great also! We only made it to one restaurant reservation because we were just having so much fun it was easier to eat at the buffet when ever you felt like it. We were upgraded to an ocean view room at check in which was amazing! The beds were very comfortable. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Patricia C, Manager at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review. We are elated that you enjoyed our facilities and the service of our warm friendly staff.
We can’t wait to welcome you back for more delicious food and fun in the sun at Jamaica Grande Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Was brilliant, the trips on offer were amazing, especially the dolphin swim, and dunns waterfall? i think its called. so worth it. food was good, pool and bar service excellent and breakfast was the best part of the day! would not recommend leaving the hotel though, other than on planned excursions, felt really unsafe and didn't like it AT ALL. were told to take nothing but ourselves out as things would be stolen, men were chasing us down the street shouting at us, definitely made the walk out a lot shorter than intended!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the positive review about your hotel stay. We are happy that you enjoyed the food and the service of our warm friendly staff. We are sorry to hear that your experience off property was less than desirable, which is unusual, but hope that you will return to Jamaica Grande so that we can share the true Jamaican spirit of kindness and joy.
Deltona, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grande Nov 27-Dec 1, 2013. I have to admit it was not my first choice due to the many negative reviews. However, the deal I received on Expedia made me give it a try. I am so glad I did. First, if you are person that sweat the small stuff you may miss out on a great time. Check In: We arrived at 3:30 pm there was no waiting. Our room was 559 in the North Tower. It was renovated and cozy. Guest services assist us in reservations at the various restaurants onsite. The specialty restaurants were nice but the Italian one was the best. The live band on Thursday night was the best ever. Yes, they allow locals to have day passes. So what, if they can pay they can play and they made it lively. Who vacations in a country and does not want to be associated with their citizens. STAY HOME.
SJG has one thing over the other resorts and that is the quality of their employees. Our housekeeper Audrey was excellent she even accommodated us by adjusting her schedule when my boyfriend had to see his favorite soccer match. Rachelle the bartender in the main lobby kept us entertained with her quick wit and down home hospitality. I hope SJG realize what they have in these two. The staff made us feel like we were visiting with friends. I will definitely return this Summer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia C, Manager at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
What a pleasure to read your review. Thank you so much for vacationing with us and we are elated that you enjoyed your stay so much.
We can’t wait to welcome you back home to be pampered by our warm pleasant staff.
Delaware City, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this resort from 11/9/13 to 11/4/13. Upon arrival we were greeted and given a refreshing drink. Check in was a little slow. I requested a room in the south wing, and was told there was none currently available, but the following day accommodations could be made. I declined. The room in the north wing was clean and I have nothing to complain about. Our housekeeper was fantastic and friendly. She kept our room clean and the towel art was beautiful.
We had a wonderful time and a lot of fun. We didn't see any entertainment shows, but I heard they were amazing. I want to give a shout out to D.J. Shell! He kept the music and party going on poolside, and in the disco. Wow, we partied, and partied. The drinks were flowing although there was no top shelf liquor.
We were taken for a ride on the catamaran. The view was spectacular on a lovely morning.
The selection on the buffet was average. There was always something you could find to eat. We overslept one morning and missed breakfast. A staff member fixed us a plate. We made reservations at three specialty restaurants, and enjoyed every meal.
We did the tour of Dunn's River Falls early Tuesday morning. It wasn't crowded and we weren't rushed to climb the falls. Our guide was terrific.
Overall, the staff was friendly and all wore a smile. This is a three star resort, so don't expect five star!
I would stay at this resort again. It is the best bang for your money for a quick getaway.

Room Tip: The rooms in the south wing have been upgraded.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very positive review. We apologize for not meeting your initial rooming request but we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the resort despite this.
It’s good to know that our warm and courteous staff made your stay memorable. Thanks for spreading the word that this resort is the best bang for your money for a quick getaway.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

we stayed at this resort for the first time from nov 28 th to dec 5th and i only have one complaint thats not long enough !! from the moment we drove from the airport to we hit our resort it was something to remember ,,the shops and history along the way is amazing ,then you hit the resort beautiful just breath taking views in the main lobby we were very shocked, after reading some of the reviews on this resort we were un-sure but im so glad we decided on sunset grande for sure ,,when we made it to out room it was clean cool with a view of part ocean and part town / markets ,,just the perfect spot i think ,my family of 3 had no compliants about the room our made was awesome she was so on top of things we had lost a very tiny nose ring one night ,,we had let her know ,bam she found it,,, just great ,,peaople and staff the buffet was good breakfast was really good aswell the omeltte station is awesome and the french toast and bacon mmm to die for ..location was perfect right down town close to shops different vendors ,markets food etc we met alot of friendly staff and travellers all in all i think my family had a great time and YES we will be returning ,,thx to our maid and all the great staff who make this resort worth coming back to .great place for kids young and old

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are elated that our wonderful staff made your stay memorable and that you are already planning your next vacation.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay. Thank you for recommending us to prospective visitors of all ages.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This resort was amazing it was clean and bright and everyone made you feel welcome. the staff was wonderful. We went for our annivasary and will go back i didnt want to leave. i asked for a high floor casue i got a ocean view room and from our balcony you ould see both the ocean and the town . The area was great there were lots of little shops and resterants just out side the gate. The FOOD on the resort was very good a very good variety of diffrent food to cater to everyone. the beach was very nice and clean also the pool was good and the swim up bar was amazing who wouldnt want a to have a drink in the pool .................i will be back for sure

Room Tip: higher floors are better cause of the view try to get the renovated suites there more up to date
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to review your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your vacation at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back for more delicious food, fun and relaxation .
sudbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my fourth time to Ocho rios and first time to Sunset Jamaica Grande. I travelled with 5 other women. The scenery was amazing and though I had an excellent time some things were of a concern.

3/4 of the staff were EXTREMELY RUDE. Bartender Rayon at the main pool bar for example I asked him why he was so rude and he simply ignored me gave me a dirty look and proceeded to speak patois to his co worker. Our entire group was tipping him and nothing but friendly. This isn't a way to treat paying customers. The food in the buffet was average however I always found something to eat. The snack grill was good and the a la carte's were very good as well but once again I encountered a rude waiter. I asked him very politely if he minded taking a picture of me and my group and his response was "sure it's not like I have anything else to do" WTF. In canada a waiter would be fired for this it's not acceptable. I was extremely polite so his attitude threw me off. I ate at the Ginger Lily and the Italian and food at both was extremely good. One staff member that was extremely polite and great fun to have around was Shevon Wellington the entertainer. He was great with all guests and made everyone feel happy to be there. The staff at the pool bar's would only serve you at the top of the bar so I didn't really understand the point of having a pool bar if your not going to serve anyone in it ? We always had to get out and ask for drinks at top. Which wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't sitting at a pool bar. The rooms were ok but the bathrooms were very small, dirty, old and the maids barely cleaned. I was in the north tower and no folks it's not renovated. We got what we paid for and it wouldn't stop me from going to Jamaica again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review. Please allow us to apologize for the less than desirable treatment you received at the bar and restaurant . You may rest assured that this is not our standard. It is our policy to treat guests with the utmost courtesy. We will address the situation in the food and beverage department and also take measures to step up our customer service training.
We appreciate your comments as they will assist us to improve our level of service delivery.
Again we apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your vacation .

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!