“So Worth It !!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Deltona, Florida
“So Worth It !!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grande Nov 27-Dec 1, 2013. I have to admit it was not my first choice due to the many negative reviews. However, the deal I received on Expedia made me give it a try. I am so glad I did. First, if you are person that sweat the small stuff you may miss out on a great time. Check In: We arrived at 3:30 pm there was no waiting. Our room was 559 in the North Tower. It was renovated and cozy. Guest services assist us in reservations at the various restaurants onsite. The specialty restaurants were nice but the Italian one was the best. The live band on Thursday night was the best ever. Yes, they allow locals to have day passes. So what, if they can pay they can play and they made it lively. Who vacations in a country and does not want to be associated with their citizens. STAY HOME.
SJG has one thing over the other resorts and that is the quality of their employees. Our housekeeper Audrey was excellent she even accommodated us by adjusting her schedule when my boyfriend had to see his favorite soccer match. Rachelle the bartender in the main lobby kept us entertained with her quick wit and down home hospitality. I hope SJG realize what they have in these two. The staff made us feel like we were visiting with friends. I will definitely return this Summer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Patricia C, Manager at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
What a pleasure to read your review. Thank you so much for vacationing with us and we are elated that you enjoyed your stay so much.
We can’t wait to welcome you back home to be pampered by our warm pleasant staff.

4,308 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Delaware City, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this resort from 11/9/13 to 11/4/13. Upon arrival we were greeted and given a refreshing drink. Check in was a little slow. I requested a room in the south wing, and was told there was none currently available, but the following day accommodations could be made. I declined. The room in the north wing was clean and I have nothing to complain about. Our housekeeper was fantastic and friendly. She kept our room clean and the towel art was beautiful.
We had a wonderful time and a lot of fun. We didn't see any entertainment shows, but I heard they were amazing. I want to give a shout out to D.J. Shell! He kept the music and party going on poolside, and in the disco. Wow, we partied, and partied. The drinks were flowing although there was no top shelf liquor.
We were taken for a ride on the catamaran. The view was spectacular on a lovely morning.
The selection on the buffet was average. There was always something you could find to eat. We overslept one morning and missed breakfast. A staff member fixed us a plate. We made reservations at three specialty restaurants, and enjoyed every meal.
We did the tour of Dunn's River Falls early Tuesday morning. It wasn't crowded and we weren't rushed to climb the falls. Our guide was terrific.
Overall, the staff was friendly and all wore a smile. This is a three star resort, so don't expect five star!
I would stay at this resort again. It is the best bang for your money for a quick getaway.

Room Tip: The rooms in the south wing have been upgraded.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very positive review. We apologize for not meeting your initial rooming request but we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the resort despite this.
It’s good to know that our warm and courteous staff made your stay memorable. Thanks for spreading the word that this resort is the best bang for your money for a quick getaway.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

we stayed at this resort for the first time from nov 28 th to dec 5th and i only have one complaint thats not long enough !! from the moment we drove from the airport to we hit our resort it was something to remember ,,the shops and history along the way is amazing ,then you hit the resort beautiful just breath taking views in the main lobby we were very shocked, after reading some of the reviews on this resort we were un-sure but im so glad we decided on sunset grande for sure ,,when we made it to out room it was clean cool with a view of part ocean and part town / markets ,,just the perfect spot i think ,my family of 3 had no compliants about the room our made was awesome she was so on top of things we had lost a very tiny nose ring one night ,,we had let her know ,bam she found it,,, just great ,,peaople and staff the buffet was good breakfast was really good aswell the omeltte station is awesome and the french toast and bacon mmm to die for ..location was perfect right down town close to shops different vendors ,markets food etc we met alot of friendly staff and travellers all in all i think my family had a great time and YES we will be returning ,,thx to our maid and all the great staff who make this resort worth coming back to .great place for kids young and old

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are elated that our wonderful staff made your stay memorable and that you are already planning your next vacation.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay. Thank you for recommending us to prospective visitors of all ages.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This resort was amazing it was clean and bright and everyone made you feel welcome. the staff was wonderful. We went for our annivasary and will go back i didnt want to leave. i asked for a high floor casue i got a ocean view room and from our balcony you ould see both the ocean and the town . The area was great there were lots of little shops and resterants just out side the gate. The FOOD on the resort was very good a very good variety of diffrent food to cater to everyone. the beach was very nice and clean also the pool was good and the swim up bar was amazing who wouldnt want a to have a drink in the pool .................i will be back for sure

Room Tip: higher floors are better cause of the view try to get the renovated suites there more up to date
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to review your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your vacation at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back for more delicious food, fun and relaxation .
sudbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my fourth time to Ocho rios and first time to Sunset Jamaica Grande. I travelled with 5 other women. The scenery was amazing and though I had an excellent time some things were of a concern.

3/4 of the staff were EXTREMELY RUDE. Bartender Rayon at the main pool bar for example I asked him why he was so rude and he simply ignored me gave me a dirty look and proceeded to speak patois to his co worker. Our entire group was tipping him and nothing but friendly. This isn't a way to treat paying customers. The food in the buffet was average however I always found something to eat. The snack grill was good and the a la carte's were very good as well but once again I encountered a rude waiter. I asked him very politely if he minded taking a picture of me and my group and his response was "sure it's not like I have anything else to do" WTF. In canada a waiter would be fired for this it's not acceptable. I was extremely polite so his attitude threw me off. I ate at the Ginger Lily and the Italian and food at both was extremely good. One staff member that was extremely polite and great fun to have around was Shevon Wellington the entertainer. He was great with all guests and made everyone feel happy to be there. The staff at the pool bar's would only serve you at the top of the bar so I didn't really understand the point of having a pool bar if your not going to serve anyone in it ? We always had to get out and ask for drinks at top. Which wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't sitting at a pool bar. The rooms were ok but the bathrooms were very small, dirty, old and the maids barely cleaned. I was in the north tower and no folks it's not renovated. We got what we paid for and it wouldn't stop me from going to Jamaica again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review. Please allow us to apologize for the less than desirable treatment you received at the bar and restaurant . You may rest assured that this is not our standard. It is our policy to treat guests with the utmost courtesy. We will address the situation in the food and beverage department and also take measures to step up our customer service training.
We appreciate your comments as they will assist us to improve our level of service delivery.
Again we apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your vacation .
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this resort 11 years ago when it was a Renaissance Resort. Since then we have stayed at Sandals and Beaches and higher end properties and now we steer away from resorts all together. Resorts are great for families with young children. Our daughter is now 8 and doesn't need all of the entertainment a resort brings (pools, shows, etc..) . So we stay in villas and condos and stay on islands where it is safe to drive around. Jamaica is not an island that is safe to explore on your own. So why did we end up here? Our 24 son chose Jamaica to be married on over many other amazing islands we have been to. It definitely was not our choice and would have never gone back had it not been for him selecting it. He and his bride chose Sunset Jamaica Grand because of the wedding packages and it would not have been our choice either.. That being said, we were pleasantly surprised and had a wonderful time!

We had 17 in our wedding party and they accommodated our group nicely. We have stayed at all inclusives where we actually paid 9 times the amount we paid for Sunset Jamaica Grand. So we realized it would not compare to those higher end resorts and it did not. But you get what you pay for right? It is very aggravating to see the horrible reviews where their expectations are that of a resort that you would pay double or more. All in all we had a very nice time for very little money.. This would be our cheapest vacation ever! Yes, the rooms were small and very basic, but pretty clean and the beds were actually comfortable! The food is pretty typical for a low priced all inclusive.. not bad but not outstanding. However I would say the Italian restaurant and the Jamaican restaurant were above average, they were just not open every night. The Jamaican restaurant was open every day for lunch and did have outstanding Jerked Chicken.

The worst thing I have to say about this resort is the wedding coordinators. So skip this part if you are not getting married here.. The Miami agents were nice and somewhat helpful but just didn't give us accurate information as once we arrived MANY things were not correct from what the advised us on. We worked with Trudy once we arrived and she had the personality of a board. Very unfriendly, seemed very irritated by our questions, unmotivated and so unhelpful on the wedding day. The bride was interrupted by a plumber for 30 minutes while getting ready on her wedding day and therefore was running late. Trudy asked what her problem was and said we had NO extra time as the pastor had another wedding right after ours. They should not plan weddings so close.. we only ran behind 15 minutes. I asked that she communicate this to our guests and she did not and seated them out in the hot sun waiting for us and not knowing where we were. I had planned on giving them a nice tip but left them nothing. It takes really bad service for me not to tip and this was horrible! It was actually a good thing we were late, because they were not playing our music but playing there own. The cake was also the wrong color and we asked the video guy to come and film the cake cutting and the flower girl singing and he didn't show up. I wish I could recommend another coordinator that seemed nicer to work with but they all seemed very uptight in that little office they were crammed in. It is really sad, because both venues they have for weddings are very nice. And on a positive note, I will say the wedding setting was beautiful and made for amazing photos! There is so much potential for them to rock the wedding market, but there lack luster staff prevents this.

In closing, I would recommend this resort if you are on a budget. This resort has potential and for the price will give you a nice time.. just don't have high expectations. Remember what you paid! Obviously my cons outweigh the pros but again remember the price.

Pros: Price. Decent Beach with very warm water, plenty of chairs and palloppas to set up for a day at the resort, nice pools and hot tubs usually clean, decent food. Most of the staff truly is helpful. Seemed like the men were way nicer then the woman. Nice location close to many activities

Cons: Some parts (not all) are very dated and need some TLC. Some parts of the pool are stained causing it to look dirty. Because of the low price it does bring in some riff raff.. There were several times my 8 year old daughter and young nieces were exposed to couples making out in the pools in broad daylight.. Lots of party people trying to get us to join in.. nothing horribly out of control, just things you wouldn't see at a high end resort. Noisy at night but did always end by 11p-midnight. Slow service when you have request, slow elevators.. my parents even got stuck for 30 minutes and the hotel just said they were sorry.. no compensation provided like a high end resort would. They didn't have our reservation at check in and went ahead and checked us in, but we stood there for 45 minutes. They do have a jelly fish issue.. 6 of us were stung.

Room Tip: Higher rooms do have spectacular views, just be prepared for slow elevators. Or stay in the cabana r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your very detailed review. We must apologize for the issues that your party encountered while planning the wedding. However we assure you that we have restructured the wedding department and recently welcomed a senior wedding specialist to ensure better service for prospective bridal parties.
We are glad that your group was comfortably accommodated and you generally felt that you got good value for the price paid.
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We vacationed at the Sunset Jamaica Grande for 5 days at the end of November 2013. There were fifteen of us in our group and even the children were so sad to leave. We loved the entertainment, the food and of course the friendly staff. The landscaping was beautiful and well maintained. Except for a few issues with the rooms, which we trust will be taken care of, we had a very pleasant and relaxing vacation. Thank you very much. Ambro Boden and Family

Room Tip: View in north tower on east side very poor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for vacationing with us. We must apologize for the in room issues you encountered however we assure you that our maintenance department has dealt with the matter. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends back to the resort for another enjoyable vacation.

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!