“we will go back for sure ..great time” 5 of 5 stars

Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
“we will go back for sure ..great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

we stayed at this resort for the first time from nov 28 th to dec 5th and i only have one complaint thats not long enough !! from the moment we drove from the airport to we hit our resort it was something to remember ,,the shops and history along the way is amazing ,then you hit the resort beautiful just breath taking views in the main lobby we were very shocked, after reading some of the reviews on this resort we were un-sure but im so glad we decided on sunset grande for sure ,,when we made it to out room it was clean cool with a view of part ocean and part town / markets ,,just the perfect spot i think ,my family of 3 had no compliants about the room our made was awesome she was so on top of things we had lost a very tiny nose ring one night ,,we had let her know ,bam she found it,,, just great ,,peaople and staff the buffet was good breakfast was really good aswell the omeltte station is awesome and the french toast and bacon mmm to die for ..location was perfect right down town close to shops different vendors ,markets food etc we met alot of friendly staff and travellers all in all i think my family had a great time and YES we will be returning ,,thx to our maid and all the great staff who make this resort worth coming back to .great place for kids young and old

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Patricia C, Manager at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are elated that our wonderful staff made your stay memorable and that you are already planning your next vacation.
We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay. Thank you for recommending us to prospective visitors of all ages.

4,610 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This resort was amazing it was clean and bright and everyone made you feel welcome. the staff was wonderful. We went for our annivasary and will go back i didnt want to leave. i asked for a high floor casue i got a ocean view room and from our balcony you ould see both the ocean and the town . The area was great there were lots of little shops and resterants just out side the gate. The FOOD on the resort was very good a very good variety of diffrent food to cater to everyone. the beach was very nice and clean also the pool was good and the swim up bar was amazing who wouldnt want a to have a drink in the pool .................i will be back for sure

Room Tip: higher floors are better cause of the view try to get the renovated suites there more up to date
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time out to review your stay. We are very happy that you enjoyed your vacation at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back for more delicious food, fun and relaxation .
sudbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

This was my fourth time to Ocho rios and first time to Sunset Jamaica Grande. I travelled with 5 other women. The scenery was amazing and though I had an excellent time some things were of a concern.

3/4 of the staff were EXTREMELY RUDE. Bartender Rayon at the main pool bar for example I asked him why he was so rude and he simply ignored me gave me a dirty look and proceeded to speak patois to his co worker. Our entire group was tipping him and nothing but friendly. This isn't a way to treat paying customers. The food in the buffet was average however I always found something to eat. The snack grill was good and the a la carte's were very good as well but once again I encountered a rude waiter. I asked him very politely if he minded taking a picture of me and my group and his response was "sure it's not like I have anything else to do" WTF. In canada a waiter would be fired for this it's not acceptable. I was extremely polite so his attitude threw me off. I ate at the Ginger Lily and the Italian and food at both was extremely good. One staff member that was extremely polite and great fun to have around was Shevon Wellington the entertainer. He was great with all guests and made everyone feel happy to be there. The staff at the pool bar's would only serve you at the top of the bar so I didn't really understand the point of having a pool bar if your not going to serve anyone in it ? We always had to get out and ask for drinks at top. Which wouldn't be an issue if I wasn't sitting at a pool bar. The rooms were ok but the bathrooms were very small, dirty, old and the maids barely cleaned. I was in the north tower and no folks it's not renovated. We got what we paid for and it wouldn't stop me from going to Jamaica again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your review. Please allow us to apologize for the less than desirable treatment you received at the bar and restaurant . You may rest assured that this is not our standard. It is our policy to treat guests with the utmost courtesy. We will address the situation in the food and beverage department and also take measures to step up our customer service training.
We appreciate your comments as they will assist us to improve our level of service delivery.
Again we apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your vacation .
Kansas City, MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We stayed at this resort 11 years ago when it was a Renaissance Resort. Since then we have stayed at Sandals and Beaches and higher end properties and now we steer away from resorts all together. Resorts are great for families with young children. Our daughter is now 8 and doesn't need all of the entertainment a resort brings (pools, shows, etc..) . So we stay in villas and condos and stay on islands where it is safe to drive around. Jamaica is not an island that is safe to explore on your own. So why did we end up here? Our 24 son chose Jamaica to be married on over many other amazing islands we have been to. It definitely was not our choice and would have never gone back had it not been for him selecting it. He and his bride chose Sunset Jamaica Grand because of the wedding packages and it would not have been our choice either.. That being said, we were pleasantly surprised and had a wonderful time!

We had 17 in our wedding party and they accommodated our group nicely. We have stayed at all inclusives where we actually paid 9 times the amount we paid for Sunset Jamaica Grand. So we realized it would not compare to those higher end resorts and it did not. But you get what you pay for right? It is very aggravating to see the horrible reviews where their expectations are that of a resort that you would pay double or more. All in all we had a very nice time for very little money.. This would be our cheapest vacation ever! Yes, the rooms were small and very basic, but pretty clean and the beds were actually comfortable! The food is pretty typical for a low priced all inclusive.. not bad but not outstanding. However I would say the Italian restaurant and the Jamaican restaurant were above average, they were just not open every night. The Jamaican restaurant was open every day for lunch and did have outstanding Jerked Chicken.

The worst thing I have to say about this resort is the wedding coordinators. So skip this part if you are not getting married here.. The Miami agents were nice and somewhat helpful but just didn't give us accurate information as once we arrived MANY things were not correct from what the advised us on. We worked with Trudy once we arrived and she had the personality of a board. Very unfriendly, seemed very irritated by our questions, unmotivated and so unhelpful on the wedding day. The bride was interrupted by a plumber for 30 minutes while getting ready on her wedding day and therefore was running late. Trudy asked what her problem was and said we had NO extra time as the pastor had another wedding right after ours. They should not plan weddings so close.. we only ran behind 15 minutes. I asked that she communicate this to our guests and she did not and seated them out in the hot sun waiting for us and not knowing where we were. I had planned on giving them a nice tip but left them nothing. It takes really bad service for me not to tip and this was horrible! It was actually a good thing we were late, because they were not playing our music but playing there own. The cake was also the wrong color and we asked the video guy to come and film the cake cutting and the flower girl singing and he didn't show up. I wish I could recommend another coordinator that seemed nicer to work with but they all seemed very uptight in that little office they were crammed in. It is really sad, because both venues they have for weddings are very nice. And on a positive note, I will say the wedding setting was beautiful and made for amazing photos! There is so much potential for them to rock the wedding market, but there lack luster staff prevents this.

In closing, I would recommend this resort if you are on a budget. This resort has potential and for the price will give you a nice time.. just don't have high expectations. Remember what you paid! Obviously my cons outweigh the pros but again remember the price.

Pros: Price. Decent Beach with very warm water, plenty of chairs and palloppas to set up for a day at the resort, nice pools and hot tubs usually clean, decent food. Most of the staff truly is helpful. Seemed like the men were way nicer then the woman. Nice location close to many activities

Cons: Some parts (not all) are very dated and need some TLC. Some parts of the pool are stained causing it to look dirty. Because of the low price it does bring in some riff raff.. There were several times my 8 year old daughter and young nieces were exposed to couples making out in the pools in broad daylight.. Lots of party people trying to get us to join in.. nothing horribly out of control, just things you wouldn't see at a high end resort. Noisy at night but did always end by 11p-midnight. Slow service when you have request, slow elevators.. my parents even got stuck for 30 minutes and the hotel just said they were sorry.. no compensation provided like a high end resort would. They didn't have our reservation at check in and went ahead and checked us in, but we stood there for 45 minutes. They do have a jelly fish issue.. 6 of us were stung.

Room Tip: Higher rooms do have spectacular views, just be prepared for slow elevators. Or stay in the cabana r...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your very detailed review. We must apologize for the issues that your party encountered while planning the wedding. However we assure you that we have restructured the wedding department and recently welcomed a senior wedding specialist to ensure better service for prospective bridal parties.
We are glad that your group was comfortably accommodated and you generally felt that you got good value for the price paid.
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We vacationed at the Sunset Jamaica Grande for 5 days at the end of November 2013. There were fifteen of us in our group and even the children were so sad to leave. We loved the entertainment, the food and of course the friendly staff. The landscaping was beautiful and well maintained. Except for a few issues with the rooms, which we trust will be taken care of, we had a very pleasant and relaxing vacation. Thank you very much. Ambro Boden and Family

Room Tip: View in north tower on east side very poor.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for vacationing with us. We must apologize for the in room issues you encountered however we assure you that our maintenance department has dealt with the matter. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you and your family and friends back to the resort for another enjoyable vacation.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Very little food selections of which is repeated daily with a few differences. Food was bland or just plain bad.

Restaurants had terrible food, even worse than the buffet! All of their restaurant! Service in restaurant was great though.

Staff here was very rude with front desk having stuck up ladies. Upon check in we were treated like a nuisance (even as returning guest). Made us feel very unwelcome. After giving us our room keys, didn't even bother to tell us where our building was. When asked, was given the stare down then a rude "over there" reply. We could have understand if this place was busy with check in at the time but it wasn't.

Not very kid friendly either. There is a club for kids but not necessary a pool area just for them.

Entertainment seems to primarily be music playing nightly.

We stayed at Sunset Beach in Montego Bay which is their sister company and it was better than here.

Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your review. We would like to apologize for falling below your expectations with our food offerings. We are reviewing our menus with the view of introducing more local cuisine and other international dishes.
We note your comments regarding our front desk agents and we are investigating the matter in order to take the necessary measures to fix the problem. We do apologize for the less than warm reception and assure you that it is not the standard for our resort.
In relation to our offerings for kids, our entertainment department has just rolled out a new schedule of activities for kids so that they will be able to have more fun while their parents are relaxing. The nightly entertainment is also being reviewed to better meet the tastes of our clients.
Once again we apologize for falling short of your expectations but hope you will give us another opportunity to provide a vacation which is satisfactory to your families needs.
Valley Stream, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grand in Ocho Rios the week of thanksgiving. I celebrated my 50th birthday there along with 30 of my friends and family it was beautiful. A special thank you to Mrs Jacqueline Edwards and her team for making my event special and stress free. Everyone was friendly and professional the food exceeds my expectations.My room was clean and comfortable there was so many daily activities to do there I did not have to leave the premises. had so much fun there I am planing another trip early next year may god bless each and every one of you love this hotel I would recommend this hotel to everyone I will never forget this vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for providing us the opportunity to play a part in your milestone birthday experience. We are very happy that you and your friends enjoyed your special day.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort next year for more delicious Caribbean cuisine served by our warm friendly staff who are always eager to please you.

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!