We stayed at this resort 11 years ago when it was a Renaissance Resort. Since then we have stayed at Sandals and Beaches and higher end properties and now we steer away from resorts all together. Resorts are great for families with young children. Our daughter is now 8 and doesn't need all of the entertainment a resort brings (pools, shows, etc..) . So we stay in villas and condos and stay on islands where it is safe to drive around. Jamaica is not an island that is safe to explore on your own. So why did we end up here? Our 24 son chose Jamaica to be married on over many other amazing islands we have been to. It definitely was not our choice and would have never gone back had it not been for him selecting it. He and his bride chose Sunset Jamaica Grand because of the wedding packages and it would not have been our choice either.. That being said, we were pleasantly surprised and had a wonderful time!
We had 17 in our wedding party and they accommodated our group nicely. We have stayed at all inclusives where we actually paid 9 times the amount we paid for Sunset Jamaica Grand. So we realized it would not compare to those higher end resorts and it did not. But you get what you pay for right? It is very aggravating to see the horrible reviews where their expectations are that of a resort that you would pay double or more. All in all we had a very nice time for very little money.. This would be our cheapest vacation ever! Yes, the rooms were small and very basic, but pretty clean and the beds were actually comfortable! The food is pretty typical for a low priced all inclusive.. not bad but not outstanding. However I would say the Italian restaurant and the Jamaican restaurant were above average, they were just not open every night. The Jamaican restaurant was open every day for lunch and did have outstanding Jerked Chicken.
The worst thing I have to say about this resort is the wedding coordinators. So skip this part if you are not getting married here.. The Miami agents were nice and somewhat helpful but just didn't give us accurate information as once we arrived MANY things were not correct from what the advised us on. We worked with Trudy once we arrived and she had the personality of a board. Very unfriendly, seemed very irritated by our questions, unmotivated and so unhelpful on the wedding day. The bride was interrupted by a plumber for 30 minutes while getting ready on her wedding day and therefore was running late. Trudy asked what her problem was and said we had NO extra time as the pastor had another wedding right after ours. They should not plan weddings so close.. we only ran behind 15 minutes. I asked that she communicate this to our guests and she did not and seated them out in the hot sun waiting for us and not knowing where we were. I had planned on giving them a nice tip but left them nothing. It takes really bad service for me not to tip and this was horrible! It was actually a good thing we were late, because they were not playing our music but playing there own. The cake was also the wrong color and we asked the video guy to come and film the cake cutting and the flower girl singing and he didn't show up. I wish I could recommend another coordinator that seemed nicer to work with but they all seemed very uptight in that little office they were crammed in. It is really sad, because both venues they have for weddings are very nice. And on a positive note, I will say the wedding setting was beautiful and made for amazing photos! There is so much potential for them to rock the wedding market, but there lack luster staff prevents this.
In closing, I would recommend this resort if you are on a budget. This resort has potential and for the price will give you a nice time.. just don't have high expectations. Remember what you paid! Obviously my cons outweigh the pros but again remember the price.
Pros: Price. Decent Beach with very warm water, plenty of chairs and palloppas to set up for a day at the resort, nice pools and hot tubs usually clean, decent food. Most of the staff truly is helpful. Seemed like the men were way nicer then the woman. Nice location close to many activities
Cons: Some parts (not all) are very dated and need some TLC. Some parts of the pool are stained causing it to look dirty. Because of the low price it does bring in some riff raff.. There were several times my 8 year old daughter and young nieces were exposed to couples making out in the pools in broad daylight.. Lots of party people trying to get us to join in.. nothing horribly out of control, just things you wouldn't see at a high end resort. Noisy at night but did always end by 11p-midnight. Slow service when you have request, slow elevators.. my parents even got stuck for 30 minutes and the hotel just said they were sorry.. no compensation provided like a high end resort would. They didn't have our reservation at check in and went ahead and checked us in, but we stood there for 45 minutes. They do have a jelly fish issue.. 6 of us were stung.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios