“30th Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort

You added Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   * The resort will be closed until March 2015, when it will reopen as a Palace Resort * | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Sherwood Park, Canada
“30th Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary. The hotel upgraded us to the cabanas, a little worn but very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Check in was painless, we were taken to our room within 20 minutes of arriving at the resort. The resort is very clean, a large cleaning staff was visible daily. The food in the buffet was average, they could use a little less repetition and a little more variety. The ala carts were very good, especially the Asian, chicken wontons were to die for as was the peppered steak. The hotel is older, but they are in the process of doing many upgrades. The pools were clean and plenty. The beach was beautiful however there are weeds in the swimming sections. We purchased a few bottles of rum in Ocho Rios, prices vary, the cheapest was $16.00, but when we arrived at the airport on our way home we found duty free to be half the price of the town. Souvenirs are on the pricy side, and the vendors are far more pushy than in Mexico, they go as far as stuffing thing in your bags. All in all a great vacation, but I truly believe that your vacation is what you make it. I would return to this resort and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

jamaica can be a very hot and humid place, if you want to eat breakfast and lunch everyday make sure you're prepared to eat outside DAILY. They dont have a single place to eat with friends or family that is air conditioned! 2 of the 3 dinner restaurants are air conditioned but these must be reserved, these get filled up very fast which is strange because i saw plenty of seats available when we were dining. the grill is also open air along with the main entertainment stage. The lobby when you check in along with the casino is open air. the majority of bars and sitting areas are open air. If you like climate control, this resort is not for you, this hotel/resort also does not provide in room dining, or room service, eating in your room is prohibited. Also wifi is only available in lobby for 30.00 for 7 or 10 days i cant remember hope this helps, the food was also not that great could have been prepared by my junior high cafeteria. The buffet is open air allowing for flys, and stray cats to accompany your meal along with hundreds of individuals handling food utensils, lids and etc. not exactly the most sanitary.

• Stayed September 2013
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks for a family vacation and i loved every minute of it!! The staff were amazing especially the bartenders! They were fun and bought a good atmosphere. It was well accommodated.. the rooms were cleaned everyday, the was always something to eat as well as different choices of food and of course there were always drinks available ;) The beach was perfect as well as the swimming pools. I had a good experience and i will definately be going there again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Macon, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My sister, friends and I took our annual vacation to Jamaica and stayed at the Sunset Jamaica Grande. Since our trip was planned way in advanced we were greeted with a rum punch and was able to check in within 15 minutes. The staff was extremely patient and helpful with my our large party people. Rooms were clean and comfortable. We stayed 5 days and was able to enjoy the buffet on beach and food was like mom cooked it herself. As a island child myself it felt like I was home. The swim bars, where the bartenders wrangled our rowdy bunch was sooo much fun. We took advantage of every amenities available...scuba diving, boating, swimming, shopping and partying. One of the best vacations ever.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side have the best views
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This was my first time going to Jamaica this past summer. It was a very good experience for me. I met a lot of good people the 7 days I was there with my sister, my cousin, and his wife. The hospitality staff was awesome especially Nickesha. She made sure we got our room properly after 4hrs of waiting for check in. The cleaning crew was excellent they did a very good job in our rooms. The Bartenders was friendly and made superb drink at every request. The dining area hosts was attentive to our needs and courteous of our wants. But the host Hubert was the best one of all. He made sure our cup was never empty and that the other hosts was nice to us. Some of the lifeguards was really good the all the kids that was at the resort. They made sure the kids stayed safe and did not hurt themselves along with anyone else in the pool. They constantly keep the pool clean around the clock. One of the Lifeguards Fabian was very helpful when it came to telling us about the hotel, the tours, and the town outside the gate. So without these wonderful staff members I don't know if my vacation would have been as good as it was for me and my family. Thanks, Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort (July 19-26 2013)

Room Tip: If you want a calm quiet and serine atmosphere ask for the South side of the resort. But if you want...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here. The cons: the elevator did break frequently and was very slow when it worked. Check in was rather slow and haphazardous. The employees at times seemed to not care about providing service to guests, rooms need a bit of an update, food's not great.
The pros: nice beaches, good view, decent rooms, good bar drinks, awesome pools and slides, loved the kayaking on the beach and the catamaran sail - all complimentary.
We had a good time and will probably go back, but we may try another resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

So if what you are looking for is value (cheap) then this place would be good for you. It is very old and outdated. It really needs upgrading to keep up with the other surrounding resorts. So i will start by stating a couple of positive things about the resort. The staff was friendly. I know some people on this review site talk about how the staff was rude but I did not experience this. With that being said, I can't say they were the most professional but they were nice. In comparison with other resorts I have been to, this staff does not compare. Other places have extremely professional and friendly customer service. I say that Jamiaca grande staff was adequately nice. I would say that they were extremeIy accomodating with transportation. Overall i would give the staff a 7/10. I really dont have anything else positive to say about this resort. I went there this past weekend for my cousins bachelorette party expecting to be swept away by beautiful island scenery and a welcoming environment...it was anything but. Do not believe the pictures online bc it will fool you.
1. Entering the lobby was no different than entering a big motel lobby. No ambience at all. Not even any flowers or pretty surroundings. There was not anything attractive about the lobby so the initial impression was less than.....well, impressed!
2. Our room was not ready. We had to wait because the previous visitors left the room late so we had to wait a couple of hours before we could get into our room.
3. The room was terrible. It seems as if they attempted an upgrade by having a flat screen TV and a granite counter top in the bathroom but that was the only positive thing about it. There was a large hole underneath the sink. The room was completely outdated. Our curtains looked like moths had been eating at it. In our friend's room next door, the faucet in the tub had been so heavily caulked that it was breaking apart. Our room keys stopped working everyday and we had to get them re-magnetized for the room. Nothing beautiful about the room. it says we had an OCEANVIEW...the ocean was only to the right. If we looked over to the left, there was a dumpster, lots of garbage and the local ghetto. Not what i was expecting for an oceanview room, but technically it wasn't a lie.
4. Food: eh, not too great. The restaurants were HORRIBLE! I stress horrible. We had reservations for 8pm each night we were there and every night was the same problem. The carribean restaurant had items on the menu that they didn't even serve anymore. On top of that our appetizers were cold. The server told us it was because we came at 8 and the cooks werent going to cook anymore so we had the leftover appetizers from earlier in the dinner shift. WTF? So basically we didn't get fresh food bc we had 8pm reservations. The server also limited what we could order. Now this is an all inclusive resort but the server tells us we can't have 2 appetizers individually, only 1 per person. Next night Asian cuisine. Service was better and food was a little better than the carribena restaurant the night before, however we ran into the same situation of cold food. *SIGH* I skipped the italian restaurant the next night because i had enough of the terrible experiences but my frieds said it was just as bad. So they only have 3 restaurants and they are all less than minimally acceptable. I spent alot of time at the grill eating traditional american burgers and fries. The buffet was ok. A good range of options to choose from but the taste was just OK and nothing more. Nothing I would call delicious.
5. Pool/beach: overall the pool area was nice and clean. The slide looked suspicious and old so I didn't get on it. The pool area was one thing i did enjoy. The beach area was small and crowded with too many chairs for such a small space but overall served it's purpose as a beach.

Overall I say this place is tailored more towards the locals or those on a small budget trip. There seemed to be more local people than tourists there. It's a bargain resort and you get exactly what you pay...not much. If you are an experienced traveler and have been to an impressive resort then don't waste your time on this place. You will be disappointed. If you have never been to a resort and you are on a tight budget, this place may be for you. Especially since you would have nothing to compare it to. It has potential to be better if it puts money towards the lobby, rooms, restaurants, food quality, overall service...well pretty much the whole place needs remodeling.

Hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: Pay attention to what the reviews say when choosing a room. I never went into another room to compar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!