So if what you are looking for is value (cheap) then this place would be good for you. It is very old and outdated. It really needs upgrading to keep up with the other surrounding resorts. So i will start by stating a couple of positive things about the resort. The staff was friendly. I know some people on this review site talk about how the staff was rude but I did not experience this. With that being said, I can't say they were the most professional but they were nice. In comparison with other resorts I have been to, this staff does not compare. Other places have extremely professional and friendly customer service. I say that Jamiaca grande staff was adequately nice. I would say that they were extremeIy accomodating with transportation. Overall i would give the staff a 7/10. I really dont have anything else positive to say about this resort. I went there this past weekend for my cousins bachelorette party expecting to be swept away by beautiful island scenery and a welcoming environment...it was anything but. Do not believe the pictures online bc it will fool you.
1. Entering the lobby was no different than entering a big motel lobby. No ambience at all. Not even any flowers or pretty surroundings. There was not anything attractive about the lobby so the initial impression was less than.....well, impressed!
2. Our room was not ready. We had to wait because the previous visitors left the room late so we had to wait a couple of hours before we could get into our room.
3. The room was terrible. It seems as if they attempted an upgrade by having a flat screen TV and a granite counter top in the bathroom but that was the only positive thing about it. There was a large hole underneath the sink. The room was completely outdated. Our curtains looked like moths had been eating at it. In our friend's room next door, the faucet in the tub had been so heavily caulked that it was breaking apart. Our room keys stopped working everyday and we had to get them re-magnetized for the room. Nothing beautiful about the room. it says we had an OCEANVIEW...the ocean was only to the right. If we looked over to the left, there was a dumpster, lots of garbage and the local ghetto. Not what i was expecting for an oceanview room, but technically it wasn't a lie.
4. Food: eh, not too great. The restaurants were HORRIBLE! I stress horrible. We had reservations for 8pm each night we were there and every night was the same problem. The carribean restaurant had items on the menu that they didn't even serve anymore. On top of that our appetizers were cold. The server told us it was because we came at 8 and the cooks werent going to cook anymore so we had the leftover appetizers from earlier in the dinner shift. WTF? So basically we didn't get fresh food bc we had 8pm reservations. The server also limited what we could order. Now this is an all inclusive resort but the server tells us we can't have 2 appetizers individually, only 1 per person. Next night Asian cuisine. Service was better and food was a little better than the carribena restaurant the night before, however we ran into the same situation of cold food. *SIGH* I skipped the italian restaurant the next night because i had enough of the terrible experiences but my frieds said it was just as bad. So they only have 3 restaurants and they are all less than minimally acceptable. I spent alot of time at the grill eating traditional american burgers and fries. The buffet was ok. A good range of options to choose from but the taste was just OK and nothing more. Nothing I would call delicious.
5. Pool/beach: overall the pool area was nice and clean. The slide looked suspicious and old so I didn't get on it. The pool area was one thing i did enjoy. The beach area was small and crowded with too many chairs for such a small space but overall served it's purpose as a beach.
Overall I say this place is tailored more towards the locals or those on a small budget trip. There seemed to be more local people than tourists there. It's a bargain resort and you get exactly what you pay...not much. If you are an experienced traveler and have been to an impressive resort then don't waste your time on this place. You will be disappointed. If you have never been to a resort and you are on a tight budget, this place may be for you. Especially since you would have nothing to compare it to. It has potential to be better if it puts money towards the lobby, rooms, restaurants, food quality, overall service...well pretty much the whole place needs remodeling.
Hope this was helpful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Hotels.com so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios