“Not so grande” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not so grande”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

So if what you are looking for is value (cheap) then this place would be good for you. It is very old and outdated. It really needs upgrading to keep up with the other surrounding resorts. So i will start by stating a couple of positive things about the resort. The staff was friendly. I know some people on this review site talk about how the staff was rude but I did not experience this. With that being said, I can't say they were the most professional but they were nice. In comparison with other resorts I have been to, this staff does not compare. Other places have extremely professional and friendly customer service. I say that Jamiaca grande staff was adequately nice. I would say that they were extremeIy accomodating with transportation. Overall i would give the staff a 7/10. I really dont have anything else positive to say about this resort. I went there this past weekend for my cousins bachelorette party expecting to be swept away by beautiful island scenery and a welcoming environment...it was anything but. Do not believe the pictures online bc it will fool you.
1. Entering the lobby was no different than entering a big motel lobby. No ambience at all. Not even any flowers or pretty surroundings. There was not anything attractive about the lobby so the initial impression was less than.....well, impressed!
2. Our room was not ready. We had to wait because the previous visitors left the room late so we had to wait a couple of hours before we could get into our room.
3. The room was terrible. It seems as if they attempted an upgrade by having a flat screen TV and a granite counter top in the bathroom but that was the only positive thing about it. There was a large hole underneath the sink. The room was completely outdated. Our curtains looked like moths had been eating at it. In our friend's room next door, the faucet in the tub had been so heavily caulked that it was breaking apart. Our room keys stopped working everyday and we had to get them re-magnetized for the room. Nothing beautiful about the room. it says we had an OCEANVIEW...the ocean was only to the right. If we looked over to the left, there was a dumpster, lots of garbage and the local ghetto. Not what i was expecting for an oceanview room, but technically it wasn't a lie.
4. Food: eh, not too great. The restaurants were HORRIBLE! I stress horrible. We had reservations for 8pm each night we were there and every night was the same problem. The carribean restaurant had items on the menu that they didn't even serve anymore. On top of that our appetizers were cold. The server told us it was because we came at 8 and the cooks werent going to cook anymore so we had the leftover appetizers from earlier in the dinner shift. WTF? So basically we didn't get fresh food bc we had 8pm reservations. The server also limited what we could order. Now this is an all inclusive resort but the server tells us we can't have 2 appetizers individually, only 1 per person. Next night Asian cuisine. Service was better and food was a little better than the carribena restaurant the night before, however we ran into the same situation of cold food. *SIGH* I skipped the italian restaurant the next night because i had enough of the terrible experiences but my frieds said it was just as bad. So they only have 3 restaurants and they are all less than minimally acceptable. I spent alot of time at the grill eating traditional american burgers and fries. The buffet was ok. A good range of options to choose from but the taste was just OK and nothing more. Nothing I would call delicious.
5. Pool/beach: overall the pool area was nice and clean. The slide looked suspicious and old so I didn't get on it. The pool area was one thing i did enjoy. The beach area was small and crowded with too many chairs for such a small space but overall served it's purpose as a beach.

Overall I say this place is tailored more towards the locals or those on a small budget trip. There seemed to be more local people than tourists there. It's a bargain resort and you get exactly what you pay...not much. If you are an experienced traveler and have been to an impressive resort then don't waste your time on this place. You will be disappointed. If you have never been to a resort and you are on a tight budget, this place may be for you. Especially since you would have nothing to compare it to. It has potential to be better if it puts money towards the lobby, rooms, restaurants, food quality, overall service...well pretty much the whole place needs remodeling.

Hope this was helpful.

Room Tip: Pay attention to what the reviews say when choosing a room. I never went into another room to compar...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

4,537 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I visited SJG in April of this year, reluctantly, after reading so many negative reviews. The deal on the discount site was too good to pass up so I figured that I'd try it out. Check-in was initially horrible because the attendant at the front desk did not know what she was doing and instead of referring me to the customer service desk to print out my discount voucher, she insisted that I would have to go into town, and email it to them in order for them to print it for me. She would not even allow me to get online in order to print it out. After walking into town, sending the email and walking back, of course they did not get the email because she had given me the wrong address. At this point, I was sure that the rest of my stay would be as foretold by all of the negative reviews. But once I was sent to customer service, everything got better from there.

The customer service agent apologized profusely and stated that I should have been sent to them to print out the voucher for me. She not only checked me in, but made my reservations for the resort restaurants for the next 3 days. The reviews I had read stated that reservations could only be made on the day you wanted to use them. The room that we were given was very nice, no funny smells or leaking water. My only complaint here was that the second to the last day the laundry seemed to have run out of towels because everyone I ran into was complaining of not having fresh towels. The bars were always stocked with rum, but the lines were really long at the pool bars. The food was good not great, except for the jerk chicken hut which was really good, especially for resort food. Again, another long line. There was shuttle service from the resort to Margaritaville on the night designated for the SJG. We never did get to the nightclub there as we mostly went out into Ochie. I spent most of my time at the pool and thouroughly enjoyed myself. I met a lot of nice people who also seemed to be happy with their stay.
The bottom line was that it was a great stay for the price and at the price I would do it again. It's not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect 5 star amenities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our 1st time in Jamaica and sorry we stayed here. check-in was dreadful, finally got our room after dealing with the staff that seemed to care less that if check-in is at 3 u shouldnt have to wait until they are good and ready!the room was awful, outdate
d had to take the chair pillows outside they stunk like bleach!unfriendly staff,elevator constantly out of service,food and line better left unsaid!will never go back nor would i reccomend to anyone iknow !

• Stayed August 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I arrived late and my room was given away. I wanted a King sized bed but only queen beds were available. I was a bit disappointed. But Nickesha who check me in promised a look to my liking the next day. And sure enough she came through. I had a room that I was very happy with. The food was good. Sometimes it was a bit of a repeat. But there was enough variety to have different things each day. And there was a lot of food. Azala in the hospitality section was amazing. She made sure guests felt like they were home away from home. Guest services staff were friendly and helpful. Anything you need Romika will assist you and if she cannot she will point you to some one who can.
I went for a relatives wedding. The wedding coordinator was a patient and kind and competent person. The wedding was beautifully planned. Even though I went for the wedding it turned out to be just an amazing vacation. September 14 to 21, 2013.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first vacation in a few years and I went with my 7 yr old son and my mother. Choosing this hotel was one of the best decisions I could have made. When we arrived, we were greeted upon arriving and were checked in without any issues. We stayed on the north side of the hotel where the rooms weren't renovated but that was ok b/c we were practically outside most of our vacation. The staff was fantastic; I loved the many choices of restaurants they had; the buffet they had everyday was filled to overflowing; the drinks were out of this world; wonderful atmosphere for families, judging by how much fun my son had. He was all over the place. I had a chance to do what I went for, which was to just relax. I also loved the fact that the hotel was right in downtown Ocho Rios. I will definitely be back and hopefully sooner than later. Thank you to everyone at Sunset Jamaica Grande for making this vacation the best I've had in a long time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the renovated side, b/c I hear they have refrigerators which we could have used.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Sunset Jamaica Grande. We celebrated our anniversary there. It was a postcard vacation!. The resort was beautiful. The food was amazing. The staff could not do enough for you. The beach was great. Not Cuba great but almost as good. You can drink the water there which says a lot. The grounds were beautiful and kept up all the time. We were up-graded to the Cabana rooms and WOW!. Could not ask for a more wicked set up. We opened our sliding glass door to the gardens and the beach maybe 30 yards away. It was a picture perfect postcard vacation and we will be returning!. Can hardly wait till next year!

Room Tip: Up-grade if you can to the Cabana rooms. You will not be disappointed!.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel over all was a great deal. The start of our stay started a lil rough but was quickly sorted out with what I call the best customer service and her name is Shawnette Mcknight excellent young lady that made a fantastic stay. Besides a couple odd ball staff for the most part service was great. Room cleaned every day and the food was awesome along with the amenities and daily activities. You can arrange all your tours and buy all your suvineers from the gift shop for a better deal then going out to the craft market or any other place. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!