“Better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I visited SJG in April of this year, reluctantly, after reading so many negative reviews. The deal on the discount site was too good to pass up so I figured that I'd try it out. Check-in was initially horrible because the attendant at the front desk did not know what she was doing and instead of referring me to the customer service desk to print out my discount voucher, she insisted that I would have to go into town, and email it to them in order for them to print it for me. She would not even allow me to get online in order to print it out. After walking into town, sending the email and walking back, of course they did not get the email because she had given me the wrong address. At this point, I was sure that the rest of my stay would be as foretold by all of the negative reviews. But once I was sent to customer service, everything got better from there.

The customer service agent apologized profusely and stated that I should have been sent to them to print out the voucher for me. She not only checked me in, but made my reservations for the resort restaurants for the next 3 days. The reviews I had read stated that reservations could only be made on the day you wanted to use them. The room that we were given was very nice, no funny smells or leaking water. My only complaint here was that the second to the last day the laundry seemed to have run out of towels because everyone I ran into was complaining of not having fresh towels. The bars were always stocked with rum, but the lines were really long at the pool bars. The food was good not great, except for the jerk chicken hut which was really good, especially for resort food. Again, another long line. There was shuttle service from the resort to Margaritaville on the night designated for the SJG. We never did get to the nightclub there as we mostly went out into Ochie. I spent most of my time at the pool and thouroughly enjoyed myself. I met a lot of nice people who also seemed to be happy with their stay.
The bottom line was that it was a great stay for the price and at the price I would do it again. It's not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect 5 star amenities.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

4,565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our 1st time in Jamaica and sorry we stayed here. check-in was dreadful, finally got our room after dealing with the staff that seemed to care less that if check-in is at 3 u shouldnt have to wait until they are good and ready!the room was awful, outdate
d had to take the chair pillows outside they stunk like bleach!unfriendly staff,elevator constantly out of service,food and line better left unsaid!will never go back nor would i reccomend to anyone iknow !

• Stayed August 2013
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I arrived late and my room was given away. I wanted a King sized bed but only queen beds were available. I was a bit disappointed. But Nickesha who check me in promised a look to my liking the next day. And sure enough she came through. I had a room that I was very happy with. The food was good. Sometimes it was a bit of a repeat. But there was enough variety to have different things each day. And there was a lot of food. Azala in the hospitality section was amazing. She made sure guests felt like they were home away from home. Guest services staff were friendly and helpful. Anything you need Romika will assist you and if she cannot she will point you to some one who can.
I went for a relatives wedding. The wedding coordinator was a patient and kind and competent person. The wedding was beautifully planned. Even though I went for the wedding it turned out to be just an amazing vacation. September 14 to 21, 2013.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was my first vacation in a few years and I went with my 7 yr old son and my mother. Choosing this hotel was one of the best decisions I could have made. When we arrived, we were greeted upon arriving and were checked in without any issues. We stayed on the north side of the hotel where the rooms weren't renovated but that was ok b/c we were practically outside most of our vacation. The staff was fantastic; I loved the many choices of restaurants they had; the buffet they had everyday was filled to overflowing; the drinks were out of this world; wonderful atmosphere for families, judging by how much fun my son had. He was all over the place. I had a chance to do what I went for, which was to just relax. I also loved the fact that the hotel was right in downtown Ocho Rios. I will definitely be back and hopefully sooner than later. Thank you to everyone at Sunset Jamaica Grande for making this vacation the best I've had in a long time.

Room Tip: Get a room on the renovated side, b/c I hear they have refrigerators which we could have used.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I just returned from Sunset Jamaica Grande. We celebrated our anniversary there. It was a postcard vacation!. The resort was beautiful. The food was amazing. The staff could not do enough for you. The beach was great. Not Cuba great but almost as good. You can drink the water there which says a lot. The grounds were beautiful and kept up all the time. We were up-graded to the Cabana rooms and WOW!. Could not ask for a more wicked set up. We opened our sliding glass door to the gardens and the beach maybe 30 yards away. It was a picture perfect postcard vacation and we will be returning!. Can hardly wait till next year!

Room Tip: Up-grade if you can to the Cabana rooms. You will not be disappointed!.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The Hotel over all was a great deal. The start of our stay started a lil rough but was quickly sorted out with what I call the best customer service and her name is Shawnette Mcknight excellent young lady that made a fantastic stay. Besides a couple odd ball staff for the most part service was great. Room cleaned every day and the food was awesome along with the amenities and daily activities. You can arrange all your tours and buy all your suvineers from the gift shop for a better deal then going out to the craft market or any other place. My wife and I really enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed September 2013
Old Harbour, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Check in was quick and easy. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Our room was well kept. Food wonderful. The restaurants are the best! Bars are great too. I love me some dirty banana!!! Beach is clean, water crystal clear. Definitely value for money!

Room Tip: Had a refurbished room on the south floor. Wonderful!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!