I visited SJG in April of this year, reluctantly, after reading so many negative reviews. The deal on the discount site was too good to pass up so I figured that I'd try it out. Check-in was initially horrible because the attendant at the front desk did not know what she was doing and instead of referring me to the customer service desk to print out my discount voucher, she insisted that I would have to go into town, and email it to them in order for them to print it for me. She would not even allow me to get online in order to print it out. After walking into town, sending the email and walking back, of course they did not get the email because she had given me the wrong address. At this point, I was sure that the rest of my stay would be as foretold by all of the negative reviews. But once I was sent to customer service, everything got better from there.
The customer service agent apologized profusely and stated that I should have been sent to them to print out the voucher for me. She not only checked me in, but made my reservations for the resort restaurants for the next 3 days. The reviews I had read stated that reservations could only be made on the day you wanted to use them. The room that we were given was very nice, no funny smells or leaking water. My only complaint here was that the second to the last day the laundry seemed to have run out of towels because everyone I ran into was complaining of not having fresh towels. The bars were always stocked with rum, but the lines were really long at the pool bars. The food was good not great, except for the jerk chicken hut which was really good, especially for resort food. Again, another long line. There was shuttle service from the resort to Margaritaville on the night designated for the SJG. We never did get to the nightclub there as we mostly went out into Ochie. I spent most of my time at the pool and thouroughly enjoyed myself. I met a lot of nice people who also seemed to be happy with their stay.
The bottom line was that it was a great stay for the price and at the price I would do it again. It's not a 5 star hotel, so don't expect 5 star amenities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, Despegar.com, BookingOdigeoWL and Hotels.com so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios