“Group Friends & Family” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Group Friends & Family”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the time of booking I had problems with their accounting errors, they didn't follow-up on emails and extremely slow in responding. My group was small 21 people and it was a nighmare.
In every which way possible, this hotel demonstrated poor communication, poor customer service and poor follow-up skills. I would never recommend this hotel to any group. Also I have never visited any hotel and see so many cats and crows in the main restaurant eating off discarded plates; this was sure a HUGE turn off. I mention this to the manager and he said it was a problem they are working on it but I never saw one of the workers trying to chase them away.
We made the best of a bad situation. We all enjoyed ourselves and were able to do some excursions, not through the hotel. I wasn’t about to give them any more business.

Room Tip: Some rooms the smell was bad. We stayed on the South side which I heard was better. My room was OK...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

4,617 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Well it was a wonderful celebration on the weekend of our wedding anniversary!
I shudder to think about the difficulty of catering to full capacity of such a large hotel but overall things were quite good at this wonderful property. Everything wasn't perfect and our room needed maintenance but service response was acceptable and overall service compensated! Thanks Jamaica Grande!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gillingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The food was excellent and amazing. They had a nice range of food to choose from. Sunset Jamaica Grande resort: the staff was very nice and helpful. they helped with everything. The swimming pools were very clean and I really enjoyed it there. I went there on the 12th of September 2012 it was a great holiday. Only 1 day it was raining but it was only for 5 minutes or less I recommend this hotel it was amazing and the best one so far i'm off to Cuba in October and i'm looking forward to that. The rooms were clean and the beds were brilliant and we asked for more pillows and we got them. they have a ice cream machine you can go and help yourself too its brilliant and cool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bay City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

First off, I should never have used Book it.com to plan this vacation. Their error cost me a lot of stress and money. Showed up to the airport at 4 a.m. on the day of departure, only to find out that " someone"( I'm guessing the booking agent) inadvertantly cancelled our plane tickets within 2 hours of my booking the vacation package. Of course they showed up on my " bookit" itinerary, so I had no idea. Needless to say, while " Bookit" was busy avoiding blame, Airtran was busy finding us another flight. The next available was 2 hours away and the next day so we stayed in that city and flew out the next day. Next problem, wasn't able to print a flight itinerary so JTL transportation from airport to Sunset Jamaica Grande gave me a hard time about my return transportation. Not to mention had to make up a flight number for customs!! Got to the hotel and because we came a day late ( I had the Bookit rep notify in advance) we couldn't get a room in the south tower as I had requested. We also missed an excursion we booked but luckily got a refund. I then bought internet access for a week to print my flight itinerary as the JTL rep at the hotel insisted I needed ( would not take my word), and found out the hotel didn't have a business center as they advertise. I had to send my itinerary to their email to be printed. I wasted half a day on this crap and was near tears. The rooms in the north tower were not bad but the entertainment in the north hall next to the hotel is usually a loud band and lasts until 11 p.m. pools close at 6 p.m. which is annoying, and sunset was around 6:40. Most of the pop machines ran out of ice, and most mealtimes you had to scrounge for a cup. The ginger lily is the best restaurant and you can call the night or 2 before you arrive and make reservations for your first night. Tipping is huge in this country and everyone who assists you will want one. There are guards at the fences on each end of the resort to keep the locals from bothering the resort guests with jet ski, merchandise, or illegal substance peddling. The gift shop prices for souvenirs are surprisingly lower than the tajmahal's prices except on t shirts. The Tajmahal shops will deal, the gift shop won't. Overall, it was a good experience. I had read every review on trip advisor before we went, and had good insight about the trip. Would definitely recommend the Blue Hole tour and the Chukka catamaran dunn river tour. Both excursions were lead by competant and humorous people.

• Stayed July 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you are looking for high luxury, this is not the place, but it is a very nice place. However, we never intended to stay in room or on site all day. We do excursions - at least one a day.
If you want loud, party atmosphere stay in the North Tower. For the quieter stay, stay in South Tower or Cabanas. We had requested the South Tower when booking and during online check-in. When we got there, only North Tower rooms were available. It took 2 days but they finally got us moved to the cabanas. Check in is long and the same forms I completed online, I still had to do in person. Only encountered 1 rude person (staff and excursions) on entire trip and that was during check-in.
Food was good but not great. They are cooking for all guest so food can be blander. Drinks were good - enough alcohol but not too much. Many from other hotels complained of weak drinks. Recommend the Caribbean restaurant for dinner. They request men to wear long pants for non-buffet restaurants. Many do not follow and are seated.
Non-water sports are included. Take the Hobie cat ride. Waterslide is fun even for an adult. Snorkeling is hit or miss. Beach is shallower so do not be afraid. Excursions are available for booking at hotel. Recommend seeing Phillicia at the Apple Vacations desk. Shops\market are right outside of hotel. We never made it to them, but if you like the market\haggle experience, it is right outside of the gates.
For those that cannot do without there electronics, WiFi is a pay service and is only available in the lobby. Just buy the $30 for the week package.
Tips are included in price so you can don't need anything on site. However, we tipped because honestly the staff bust their butts for you. Staff are conditioned not to take it and many did not.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

July 2013, just got back and had to make sure I spun my review from the perspective of service. Yes, the hotel, beach and food are all wonderful. Nuff said -- the staff is what makes this place super! From the front desk staff, bartender, risk management, bell hop, pool manager and chef -- these are the ones who make SUPERIOR SERVICE ring true! SUPERIOR service in entertainment as well - could not post without a big up to DJ Shell who saved the night! The local clubs are nice, but why leave when you have the best dj right on property. He took the house back with old school 80/90's reggae and brought us around again. He was generous with guest shout outs and special requests -- forget about M---ville; my drinks were inclusive and my time with DJ Shell exclusive! Made my last yad night perfect. Back to reality in the good ole USA. See you soon bless up!

Room Tip: Cabana's are it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, my first stay was excellent despite there was a discrepancy with the room upon check in, neverthless i had a wonderful time. My second stay was disappointing, the food on the buffet was not good, however the entertainment was great and i dined at the italian restaurant , which made my trip, sadly I cannot remember the name of my server but he was extremly professional and the food was amazing

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!