“mixed bag” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“mixed bag”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, my first stay was excellent despite there was a discrepancy with the room upon check in, neverthless i had a wonderful time. My second stay was disappointing, the food on the buffet was not good, however the entertainment was great and i dined at the italian restaurant , which made my trip, sadly I cannot remember the name of my server but he was extremly professional and the food was amazing

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I checked in at 5pm however the room was still not ready when we went by the room at 5:30pm. The housekeepers were still inside. Please not I checked in two days before online and called ahead stating what time I would reach. When they saw us they politely said they are finished now but the room was still not properly kept and it had a wet mouldy smell. On inspecting the room, the new shower curtains had fungus things like on them as if not washed properly and the soap residue built up had green like colours all over the curtain. we were assigned north point rm 850. I stripped the room and notified the housekeeper for them to be changed. they were changed and the room was cleaned more properly the remaining days and the mouldy smell went. Remember to keep your balcony door closed while ac is on The room was like 2out of 5. I was feeling a bit sick and couldn't spend much time outside but the room wasn't accommodating either. The outside was clean and had many fun activities to enjoy and keep you occupied and rocking. the buffet food was superb too and a lot although some items finished quickly. we dined at La Diva restaurant and the service was exceptional, the waiters were on top of things! food was good also. we also went South beach Caribbean grill and it seems to be popular because it was full which caused the service to be diminished because of a lack of waiters. it was slow and we decided to skip dessert because it was taking forever to reach. all in all its a wonderful place and would recommend. P.S Watersports activities are full and you have to sign up and wait for like twenty minutes

Room Tip: Rooms by south pointe are better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Maple Heights, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I took a group of 28 woman in May and I must say we was treated royally. I enjoyed the room, food, and entertainment. The beach was nice and Steve on the beach took us on excursion at a very reasonable price.( boot ride we got to drive boat, jet ski, swam with the dolphin and dunn river falls) very cheap.. I was nervous after reading reviews but glad I went. Drinks were great you have to ask them put more liquior in and they have top shelf . Will recommend this hotel. Plan on visiting again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I wanted to be able to write a good review of this hotel. Food was excellent, good amenities, good entertainment, nice rooms and great locality in the centre of Ocho. However, I had a theft from my room and a number of other security breaches which put a downer on the holiday.

Also on arrival at the hotel my travelling partner and myself discovered that we had been allocated a double room instead of the twin room as booked. The hotel told us that they could not rectify this until the following day as the hotel was full.

On my second day, whilst I was resting in my hotel room and whilst ‘sparsely’ dressed, a couple walked in using a key card that had been given to them by staff at reception. Both I and they were ‘shocked and embarrassed’. Apparently they had been given the key card as the hotels records showed that the room was vacant! As well as the embarrassment, this was a total breach of security as if I had not been in the room, the couple could have stolen any of our belongings.

After speaking to the hotel manager, Mr Lindo, who was sympathetic and concerned, we were offered some Swedish massages for the inconvenience we had endured.

I had a second breach of security when finding that my key card was not working, one of the housekeepers let me in the room despite not knowing who I was or asking for any ID.

The third breach of security was more severe. On one occasion I left my IPhone 5 on my bedside table (forgetting to put it in the safe). At no time did I ever take it out of my room and I did not use it during my stay in Jamaica. My phone disappeared! I reported the theft to the hotel security who did an additional thorough search of my room. Myself and my roomie were then taken to Ocho Rios police station to report the theft and give statements which took 2 hot hours. The Police Officer (Constable Bryan) told me that he would deal with it by interviewing every member of staff who had been on duty during with access to my hotel room during the 5 days that it could have been taken. A very good proactive approach. I know that word got out amongst the staff that the Police were involved as I was not quiet about it and the next day, my phone ‘miraculously’ appeared in the room next door which beloinged to my travelling companions. I know that it had been planted there by someone who wanted to avoid any trouble, but because it had appeared there was nothing more I could do. (By the way the Police Officer informed me that in the past, personal items had been reported missing from hotel rooms at the Sunset Jamaica Grande).

Despite all of this, I would stay at the Jamaica Grande again because of the factors mentioned in my first paragragh but next time I would be more security conscious and less trusting of staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was our second visit within 6 months to the resort. Check-in was smooth and as repeaters we got free WIFI. You have to have patience because the service can be really slow. We were housed in the North Tower overlooking the pool area but also had a nice ocean view. There were a couple of minor maintenance issues with the room but nothing upsetting because my husband and I spent most of our time on the beach or in the city. As long as the room was clean, there were no major problems and O.T. did a fine job.

When we go on vacation, our goal is to get R&R! Janease, at the South Grill, bar made sure that we had a nice drink that she called "Janease's Special". We usually ate lunch on the beach from the Jerk Chicken Station which was a good alternative to the dining area. For breakfast, I visited Roderick who prepared my omelets and always greeted me with a smile.

During the Manager's Meet & Greet, I had the pleasure of meeting a couple of new staff, Steven Pottinger, the social media manager, and D'Wana, an entertainer. I instantly fell in love with Steven as he is a sweetheart and funny! D'Wana was a sweety too. Two of my favorite entertainers were Colleen and Crazy Chris! You never knew what would happen when Chris was around. They always had the pool area rockin'.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Mr. Reeder, the manager, who was leaving for his vacation as we arrived. He has always taken time to have a few words with us and that is appreciated.

We like Jamaica Grande for all of the positives mentioned above. In addition, you cannot beat the location. The resort is walking distance to restaurants, bars and shopping. We saved a lot of money on cab fare and hung out with the locals! It is also minutes drive to Dunn's River Falls and Mystic Mountain from this location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my family last August and only have good memories about it. It took 2 hours from the airport on a coach to get to the hotel after being on a plane for 8 hours but the check in time was quick and easy with the staff being really friendly. The only thing is, if they carry your suitcases to the room for you, expect to have to give them a large tip!
The hotel is directly on the beach which was non crowded although quite small, as it was a bay, sandy and the sea was warm with plenty of deck chairs. We also tried some of the water sports like jet skiing, snorkeling and pedal boating which was fun. I didn't spend much time in the pool as I preferred to be in the sea, but they were large and cold (but not too cold) so perfect for cooling off. My brother took part in the pool volleyball which he really enjoyed.
The food was ok. Pretty much the same as all all inclusive hotels which was fine as we weren't too bothered about the food. The waiters were all really polite and friendly.
The rooms were good. They weren't massively fancy but that didn't matter as we were only there to sleep. The air conditioning worked brilliantly and it was very quiet at night. We did have a problem with our shower but the maintenance guy came and fixed it pretty quickly. I think that Some of the reviewers are being a bit picky about the rooms- yes the lamps were a bit wobbly and the balcony doors were stiff but if you're that uptight about little things like that, a holiday in Jamaica, where most people you meet are generally relaxed and easy going, probably isn't for you. And maybe just don't expect a 5 star hotel either- cause this isn't one. But it is definitely a 4 star one!
We went on a few excursions to Dunns river falls and a water tubing one which were both incredible and well worth going too.
The evening entertainment at the hotel was pretty awful tbh but again, most all inclusive hotels evening entertainment is aimed for little ones so I wasn't too bothered.
We did go out of the hotel into the town a few times which I found a little intimidating the first time due to the amount of people trying to get you to buy stuff. We learnt to just be polite and say no and to not shake their hands of fist pump them, as when my brother did that, they wouldn't leave him alone again!
Overall, an amazing holiday and a hotel where I would definitely return to in the future. The thing I loved most about it was the beach and the people- the Jamaican people on the excursions and the staff, and also the other guests at the hotel. It's the only hotel I've been to where there were no Chavs! Mainly American and Canadian guests and barely an British (I'm British by the way) which made a nice change. Genuinely an amazing holiday. Please don't be put off by some of the more negative reviews. It's amazing!

• Stayed August 2012
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

It was a great time

I did one weekend for work - it was a weekend seminar

Ms Alicia Lynch and the Guest relation team were excellent

Polite and friendly and very helpful and made me want to return with my family

Room Tip: I like the North Tower
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!