“Do not waste your money – go elsewhere” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort

You added Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   * The resort will be closed until March 2015, when it will reopen as a Palace Resort * | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Do not waste your money – go elsewhere”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

When we arrived after a 2 hour bus journey from the airport, we entered through a side door, into a room, where they proceeded to try and allocate rooms, on our e-ticket it stated that we had an ocean front view, so lady just tore that piece from my ticket – thank goodness I didn’t need that part for the return journey! We were then told that if we wanted a safe or beach towels, we would have to head to the main lobby check in desk to request these. After getting our room key, we then had 3 lifts (from South Tower, through main lobby into North Lobby) to get to our room.
Our room was in the North Tower 10th floor, when the lift doors opened – you could have gotten high from the smoke! Found balcony had a screen over the railings, therefore no view for our 4 year old – only way he could see was standing on the table and chairs and leaning over – NOT VERY SAFE ON 10TH FLOOR.
No fridge in room. Bathroom - once you pulled the shower screen over you were showering in the dark.
Never any glasses at poolside, hardly ever in food court. Half the time the juice was out.
The food was terrible the choice for kids were one item (burger, grilled sausage, sandwich) and chips. All fish / meat had bones in it.
We arrived on the Saturday and on the Monday morning our rep told us at 10am that our meeting with the wedding coordinator was at 11am – what happened if we hadn’t seen the rep. We were told to go back to the coordinators office on the Sunday with our music and cake topper – would have been fine if it wasn’t her day off – spent half the day trying to get items dropped off.
On day of wedding partner was told to go to the office ½ hour before wedding – wedding coordinator busy with other guests – he got told to go to bar. She never turned up for me – had to make my own way down for her to say she had been phoning room – maid was there so she would have answered phone.
Oh yeah maid turned up after we were all dressed for wedding, therefore had to use dirty towels to dry after shower.
No scissors to cut off wrist bands prior to service.
Breakfast in bed (part of wedding package) never turned up – beach bag (also part of package) was handed over as we waited to get onto bus for home
We were given a room change which we were told would be ready at 1 – got it at 4.30pm and only one bed in room – 2nd bed turned up at 9.30pm! After numerous calls and visits to guest services.
Went to La Diva once – over an hour between courses.
Ginger Lily was excellent – waiters were really good with the kids.
Got free wi-fi as apology for room / bed delay – really good when you are in the Honeymoon Cabana – very last room and wi-fi only available in main lobby.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY – THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A HOLIDAY OF A LIFETIME WAS JUST A DISASTER FROM START TO FINISH.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
New Haven, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed there for 7 nights, with 9 other people. First off, the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was long 2 hrs.. didn't get to check in until about 8pm at night.. walked to our room, only to find it open and unlocked and reeking of "smoke"! Told the front desk staff who didn't seem to care and couldn't move us to the next day. First off this isn't a 3 star hotel, maybe 2 at best. If you are looking for a low budget stay with a so so hotel/food/beach.. go for it.. I wasn't expecting 5 star but this hotel was horrible. Beaches and Pool - SMALL and gross! Non-motorized watersports were a joke.. broken Kayak paddle, (only 2 boats) only 3 sets of snorkel and fins, which people kept all day and didn't return.. nothing else to do on the small beaches besides being hassled by the locals. Pools were NOT cleaned and slippery with moss and other nastiness.. Swim up bars were a joke.. barely could get service. Rooms - first one was overlooking a lovely roof and some awful sounding holding tanks .. Second one - sliding glass wouldn't shut, running facet and bugs. Food - Boring.. and not many choices.. no fresh salads, and the grill is a joke..hot dogs, burger(probably not beef), grilled cheese and fries.. (LIMITED TIME, not available 24/7) no seafood at all.. only upside is that I went with a group of awesome people and they made the time enjoyable. Internet is NOT free, pay $30 a week for wifi in lobby only! Also the spa help tried to steal $20 from my pants during my massage!

Room Tip: South Tower.. better views.. and have fun with the cabana's.. some have fridges, some don't...
Kennewick, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We spent our honeymoon here,,,and I will say after traveling for over 24 hrs to get there, we were spent, then I find the airline lost my bag, ugh! The staff at Sunset Jamaica Grande was the best, they got us to our room so the stress could end and the fun could begin. I awoke the next day to a beautiful view of the ocean. We went to breakfast and I was amazed at how good the food was. I figured all inclusive would mean okay food not GREAT food. The drinks were great too, but,,,the entertainment was hilarious! Their entertainment host, Izzy I think was his name, had me in stiches. It was so relaxing and nice and even tho I had no clothes, I didn't need much it was so warm even when and if it rained. I bought a bikini at thier gift shop and it was not too expensive and all was good. I eventually got my bags and the weekend was great. I have only been home a month and want to go back. My very first experience with travel and it was all worth it and then some.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I would like to advise anyone who's going to NOT GO!! Get your Money back NOW if you still can! Take an alternative trip! Try Rooms, which is right next door to Sunset! They are not all inclusive you are charged extra to get a lock box, which you REALLY Need to have. Charged extra for a beach towel, which is also a necessity. The customer service is the absolute WORST I've ever encountered and I've been to Jamaica 4 times!!! I won't EVER return here! They are rude, and act as if they are doing you a favor! I don't get upset easily and when I read a few bad reviews on this resort I thought, maybe I would try because no way could service be that bad....well IT WAS!!! There were stray cats walking freely throughout the resort even in the dining areas!! YUCK! Room Service had to be called 3 times during the 5 day stay!! The food I didn't expect to be good because it's always of low quality every time I go and so that was just where I expected it to be.I hope that whomever is reading please heed my warning but if you must go don't be mad because you were WARNED! (Trip June 20th-25th 2013)

New Haven, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I recently just stayed at your hotel on my Vaction with friends. I was highly disapointed. The hotel just seem really run down and not kept up at all. The pools were very filthy and slimy. At least 4 from our gruop slipped going down the stairs (even holding onto the rails) I maybe saw one guy cleaning out the pools twice the whole 8 days we spent there. I even saw the life guard from the beach washing out the sand from one of the sails from the boat in one of the pools. Really? Your staff was not very friendly at the front desk either. We had problem after probelm with our room. our bathtub faucet leaked, our air conditioner leaked that left puddles, our door wall never shut all the way, we only had one chair on our balcony, and we had a busted lamp. The faucet was simi fixed and we were brought a chair and a new light blub. But these are things that should be all checked before people get checked into their rooms. It just puts a bad taste in your mouth from the get go. There were also times when we would come for lunch and the hours were stating you open at 12:15pm. There were a few times it didnt even open until 12:30pm. The only really good thing I can say about your hotel is the few staff memembers who were nice and treated us like they wanted us there. I wish I remembered his name. But the one gentleman was working in the Chineese Resturant waiting on us on Saturday night. Very very nice young man. The other staff memember is Cruise Brown Station C. Very nice. Always happy, smiling and polite. Always was making sure we had and needed everything. Its a shame becasue I will never stay at your hotel again and I will never recommend your hotel to any of my friends or family.

Room Tip: rooms that are in the South Tower on floor 8 and higher have the best view. unless you want to look...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a 2 week stay and want to go back already!! Great place to stay from the food to the people! The bar staff are great and you can have good fun with the entertainment staff. In particular COLLEEN BROWN! She was so much fun and friendly and took time out to speak to us everyday! All in all I would recommend this place to anybody!!

• Stayed June 2013
Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Staying at this hotel was great but like other hotel where u get the wi-fi free u have to pay for it there also beach towels that was the only draw back about them. Overall it is a good hotel resort the room serves was great. The people at the front desk you all need to move a little faster check in was really slow.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!