“Ok but not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Leesburg, Georgia
“Ok but not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was my third trip to Jamaica and the service that we received here was a disappointment to my family and I. Maybe we have been spoiled by Beaches and Couples resorts and am a little narrow minded but it was a let down after being to the other two resorts. First off we had trouble at check in. We had booked two rooms for 5 adults and 1 child. They had one of our rooms set to a king size bed for 3 adults and 1 kid. Impossible. It took well over an hour to straighten this out. Then they did not keep our rooms together. Oh well, I can deal with this. Moving on. On the way to the room we were hit with the smell of "stinky green" in the hallway. Being this is a family resort, I felt this should not be here. Smelt this the entire trip. First night there was approached by a local on the beach trying to sell their green and if you go down to the locals on the beach to get braids, you will see small rolled papers all over the ground. However, the rooms were clean and well kept. Problems with our patio door not locking but no biggie. Two towels in a room for three was aggrevating. Had to share towels the entire trip. And our guests in the other rooms, housekeeper would take their dirty towels and not replace with new ones. Multiple calls and still none being brought on one day and 5 calls before getting towels on another day. Food was ok with the Italian Restaurant being the best. Book it!! Eggs were soggy, rotten bananas were set out to eat, drinks run out as well as the cups to pour drinks. Cats roam around the dining area which I thought was gross and were also seen on the roofs. I like cats but not where I am eating. Our keys were deactivated on the day of check out before check out time. Another family had the same issue down the hall from us, not on their check out day. Activities at the resort were extremely slim. The staff were not outgoing and friendly. They just worked and never smiled or socailized with the exception of two. Waitress at the northside beach grill was extremely rude when my daughter could not decide on her dinner and took her menu from her before she finished. Nurse was not on staff during the day when needed and the day care smelt of rotting rodents. I will not be back here and will now just pay the extra and go back to Beaches and be spoiled.

4,551 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my 4th visit to the Grande in Ocho Rios and I must say, the food has improved in the buffet dining area compared to my previous visits. There is a better variety and the quality has upped a level. There is ALWAYS food available from 7am-2am, from jerk chicken to curried goat to burgers to chinese cuisine. The amount of bars and choice of drinks/cocktails/mocktails are really good. There are like 5 or 6 pools to match your different moods lol. The atmosphere has always been lively and staff members are always welcoming, especially Mario and Francine! Their private beach is amazing. The ocean-view rooms are tidy and gradually becoming more modern and the bathrooms are lovely. The only issue, in my opinion is the entertainment; at night there is a lack of it, though they do have occasional talent show nights and music shows. Will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: P.S. 1) Make sure you do not get a room directly next to the lifts as the noise will keep you up all...
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hello, I just wanted to write a review for the great service I received from all staff during my stay from May 29th to June 2nd. I was pleased with the food, activities, and friendly service staff. The spa staff were wonderful and professional and provided a beautiful, clean and relaxing atmosphere; Michaelea was an excellent massuese. The service from the bar staff closest to the beach by the pool was always quick and with a smile. I had the pleasure of being serviced by Sonia in the dining area and my milk with peppermint tea was always enjoyable. Thanks to all staff at the resort for making my birthday vacation a memorable fantastic experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place suxs I went here on may 2013 it was such a let down
After planing this trip. We got there they charge us 30 for 7 days of wifi but it's not really 7 is 6 days then 100 deposite for a security box smh. The food was the worst food I ever eat!! Every day same menu jerk every thing oh not to mention one night they had shake and bake chicken wtf. The employes are rude!! The hotel rooms are very disappointing with the view of metal roofs that's what they called ocean view. Over all I gave a star because I'm recured to put one if not I give this hotel a big fat 0!! Good luck if u go here. The people that said this place is excellent they never travel or been on trips I travel every year so don't take my word go and find out for ur self.

• Stayed May 2013
Centreville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

First time at an all-inclusive. The bars were plentiful but closed a little early (2am). It would be nice if there was room service available for those days and nights stuck in the room. Bartenders were top notch and went the extra mile (even taking us off property to see some of the local bars including Margaritaville and Oceans 11 Watering Hole). Entertainment at the party pool was great! Crazy Chris is the best DJ around.

Room Tip: Oceanfront on the Southtower
Connersville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

On our first day at this resort, we ran into the nicest waitress in the Dining Area / Buffet. Sonia Foster worked hard to make our stay very pleasant. Sonia anticipated our needs, had coffee waiting at our table before we even arrived from the buffet line. She was obviously a leader among her peers at the resort. Thank You, Sonia Foster!

Room Tip: Reserve a cabana room, they seem to have a few more expected amenities than the standard tower rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We spent a week at this hotel recently and were not impressed. We had a cabana room and it was very old. The bath had no air vents and the doors did not close completely. The air conditioning barely kept up with the heat. The room was clean when we arrived but housekeeping skipped us completely one day. There were 2 days we did not get fresh towels. The room had only one electrical outlet. Guest services seem to completely ignore our requests, On the up side, the food was very good in all the restaurants: especially the al la cate ones. In the main dining room which was open air, the service was so-so. One waitress who was very attentive was Sonia and she seemed to care about the customers and did a very good job taking care of her customers. The pools were nice and so was the beach. I think children would enjoy very much as there was a water slide and a lot of activity. Older adults might want to look somewhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in a cabana which was bay/cove front although we specified an ocean front. The rooms were...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!