“Great vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Jasper, Tn
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I vacationed at the resort the week of June 9-13, 2013. The room was clean could use some updating but I was not there to stay in the room. We enjoyed the resort so much we did not want our vacation to end. Everyone we met staff and other vacationers were very nice and friendly. We spent an afternoon at Mystic Mountain doing zip lines and the bobsled which were alot of fun! Location is great for the attractions Ocho Rios has to offer. The beach was fantastic and pools are nice also. If you have read alot of negative reviews do not panic, it is a great resort.

Room Tip: We stayed on the Southside ocean view and 10th floor. Great view of the ocean and I believe quieter...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

4,625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went to this hotel in May 2013. We were very happy with the Hotel the grounds well kept. The food was very good including the buffet. The room we had in the 7th floor north tower was very clean. The resort has lots of things to do for our 2 teen-aged kids. The great advantage this hotel has over other all inclusive hotels in the area is the location. This resort is in the middle of the city and the beach is nice,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Muscle Shoals, alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just returned home from a week at Sunset Jamaica Grande. First of all, let me say that we had a nice vacation at SJG. SJG has some great amenities.So, if you have already booked this property don't panic over all the bad reviews. The pools are great and the location is close to many of the attractions. However, if I had the opportunity to vacation again in Jamaica, I would book at a different property and probably not in Ocho Rio. Here is a breakdown of the resort:

Location: SJG is in downtown Ocho. (which is not a great area) It is located 7 miles from Dunn's Falls and Dolphine Cove. You can see Myjestic Mountain from the hotel. The side of north tower is located on the ocean and the front faces a cove/bay area. The South tower faces the cove/ bay.

Ocean/ Cove: The ocean is beautiful. There is a sea wall around the ocean so you can not enter the water. (rocky area... No sand) There is a sidewalk, grassy area and chairs. The swimming and beach area is in the cove. The beach area is narrow and swimming areas are marked. The beach area is man made. This was a little disappointing but the surprising and most disappointment was the sugar factory in the cove area. The building is rusty and very unattractive. Also, the Carnival cruise ship parks in the cove which completely blocks the view to the ocean. Luckily, the ship only docks once a week during the summer months.

Lobby/WiFi: The lobby is opened to the outside which is very nice. The furniture is weathered and the cushions are faded and many are torn. There is a bar and slot machines along with a setting area in the lobby. Wifi is available at a fee in the lobby area only. The cost for Wifi is $30.00 a week.

Room: We requested a room in the south tower based on reviews from tripadviser. Our room was a oceanfront with a balcony. From the balcony, we had a view of the bay/ocean, south side pool, parking lot, mountains, and downtown Ocho. It wasn't the view a wanted.....I thought I would get to see the ocean but surprising we did enjoy look at the mountains. We tried to make the best of it. The room was definitely a 3 star room. The bathroom was the worst part of the room. The bath tub was refurbished and the paint was peeling badly. But the room was clean and we did not spend a great deal of time in the room.

Pools: The pool areas were the high point of the resort. The party pool with Crazy Chris was fun to watch. My child enjoyed the waterside. There is a pool for every mood. If you want to relax, go to the south. There is 2 pools with bars. A pool with waterfalls. Pools open at 9 and close at 6.

Food: Breakfast is probality the best meal of the day at the buffet. There are 3 places to eat lunch. The grill (hamburgers, hotdogs, and cheese sandwiches). It was ok but not great. South grill had jerk chicken and salad. The chicken was tasty. Buffet was just ok. At dinner, there are 4 restrauants. Our favorites were the LaDive and Terrance. We didn't like the other choices. You need a reservation to eat at alll the restrauants except for the buffet. We made a reservation for the week on the first day of our vacation. The only time we were not able to make a reservation was for the first night. The restrauants were full and we ate at the buffet. It was ok and we were so tried we didn't care and glad we didn't have to dress up for dinner.

Staff: Staff was friendly and cooperative.

Excursions: We went on 2 excursion. One was booked on Bookit.com and the other at the resort. I wouldn't recommend booking excursions through bookit.com. The phone numbers were wrong and the staff at tour booths had to help locate the tour company. The other was through hotel tour company. Be careful with your tours, our driver told us that a tourist was killed by a local during a horseback excursion. They went with someone from the town trying to get a good deal.

Night Life: We didn't enjoy shows at night and didn't attend the disco.

Jamaicans/ locals: Basically, they are pushy and will not leave you alone. Locals are allowed on the beach area and will try to sell you items, jewelry, tours and drugs. The resort staff said that they will try to give you an item and if you touch it, they will demand for you to pay for it. Use caution!

Room Tip: When visiting Jamaica book an all inclusive hotel if you are not familiar with the area. It would b...
Springville, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that our room was nice and very clean - nothing spectacular, but quite comfortable. The people that work at the resort are awesome - all very friendly and helpful. The beach is quite nice and the pools are good. In addition, they do have a really fun dj that plays poolside in the afternoon which we really enjoyed. My biggest complaint is regarding the dining situation. The buffets are good with a nice selection that was quite tasty, but we were also looking forward to eating in one of the various restaurants for dinner during our stay. When we tried to make reservations for the week upon our arrival, either the restaurants were completely booked or the only time that you could get was 9:00 which is way too late for me to eat dinner. Also, when the buffet restaurant is closed, your only options between meals are either the grill that serves only hamburgers, hot dogs, or grilled cheese sandwiches and fries. Although some people may find these foods appealing, I would have loved a healthy option. The exercise room was small and open for limited hours. I think that if you have a family, this resort is a good deal. Overall, we had a good stay, but if I return to Jamaica, I will choose somewhere else

Room Tip: Room in the South Tower are newer than the ones in the North tower.
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

If you like Jamaican food this is the place. The traditional food was very good. There were many native Jamaicans staying at the resort who also raved about the traditional Jamaican food. The other food was fine just not high quality. Its a Jamaican resort so they should excel at Jamaican food. My son loved the afternoon french fries and ice cream at the burger/ hot dog grill. The south beach grill had the best tasting food overall. Sonia Foster and Cruise in the dining room provided excellent service while dining at the buffet. The two bartenders at the bar located outside of Ginger Lillies were the two nicest people I met at the resort. I wish I could remember their names because they deserved to have a special mention. She was a slightly older woman and he was a younger man and combined they really set the standard for service and guest relations.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

From the first day I got there, I was catered to in the line. Offered drinks, an unlimited amount of food. Very cozy rooms and TOO many activities and fun things to do. I WILL DEFINITELY come back here, as the service is AMAZING!....I had the luxury of having a candle light dinner, and I must say, waiter Michael Palanchie offered more than I have ever experienced in my life. Definitely a Perfect resort for families, lovers and even just friends. The club, the water slide, the pools, the beach, the volleyball and the daily DJ by the pool.

I recommend this hotel 100%. You will love it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have recently just come back from staying at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rhios hotel. I have to say I was very impressed with the professionalism of the staff; they were very friendly and accommodating and always had a smile. There were two particular members of staff that stood out for me Marcello and Andre who worked in the restaurant. They were willing, helpful and very approachable and they should be commended for their first class service they provided. I would definitly recommend the hotel to others, however I would have to say that the hotel could do with a face lift as I found some areas needed a coat of paint. The hotel should also focus more on the vegetarian options that they serve as I struggled slightly. Apart from that a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!