We have just returned home from a week at Sunset Jamaica Grande. First of all, let me say that we had a nice vacation at SJG. SJG has some great amenities.So, if you have already booked this property don't panic over all the bad reviews. The pools are great and the location is close to many of the attractions. However, if I had the opportunity to vacation again in Jamaica, I would book at a different property and probably not in Ocho Rio. Here is a breakdown of the resort:
Location: SJG is in downtown Ocho. (which is not a great area) It is located 7 miles from Dunn's Falls and Dolphine Cove. You can see Myjestic Mountain from the hotel. The side of north tower is located on the ocean and the front faces a cove/bay area. The South tower faces the cove/ bay.
Ocean/ Cove: The ocean is beautiful. There is a sea wall around the ocean so you can not enter the water. (rocky area... No sand) There is a sidewalk, grassy area and chairs. The swimming and beach area is in the cove. The beach area is narrow and swimming areas are marked. The beach area is man made. This was a little disappointing but the surprising and most disappointment was the sugar factory in the cove area. The building is rusty and very unattractive. Also, the Carnival cruise ship parks in the cove which completely blocks the view to the ocean. Luckily, the ship only docks once a week during the summer months.
Lobby/WiFi: The lobby is opened to the outside which is very nice. The furniture is weathered and the cushions are faded and many are torn. There is a bar and slot machines along with a setting area in the lobby. Wifi is available at a fee in the lobby area only. The cost for Wifi is $30.00 a week.
Room: We requested a room in the south tower based on reviews from tripadviser. Our room was a oceanfront with a balcony. From the balcony, we had a view of the bay/ocean, south side pool, parking lot, mountains, and downtown Ocho. It wasn't the view a wanted.....I thought I would get to see the ocean but surprising we did enjoy look at the mountains. We tried to make the best of it. The room was definitely a 3 star room. The bathroom was the worst part of the room. The bath tub was refurbished and the paint was peeling badly. But the room was clean and we did not spend a great deal of time in the room.
Pools: The pool areas were the high point of the resort. The party pool with Crazy Chris was fun to watch. My child enjoyed the waterside. There is a pool for every mood. If you want to relax, go to the south. There is 2 pools with bars. A pool with waterfalls. Pools open at 9 and close at 6.
Food: Breakfast is probality the best meal of the day at the buffet. There are 3 places to eat lunch. The grill (hamburgers, hotdogs, and cheese sandwiches). It was ok but not great. South grill had jerk chicken and salad. The chicken was tasty. Buffet was just ok. At dinner, there are 4 restrauants. Our favorites were the LaDive and Terrance. We didn't like the other choices. You need a reservation to eat at alll the restrauants except for the buffet. We made a reservation for the week on the first day of our vacation. The only time we were not able to make a reservation was for the first night. The restrauants were full and we ate at the buffet. It was ok and we were so tried we didn't care and glad we didn't have to dress up for dinner.
Staff: Staff was friendly and cooperative.
Excursions: We went on 2 excursion. One was booked on Bookit.com and the other at the resort. I wouldn't recommend booking excursions through bookit.com. The phone numbers were wrong and the staff at tour booths had to help locate the tour company. The other was through hotel tour company. Be careful with your tours, our driver told us that a tourist was killed by a local during a horseback excursion. They went with someone from the town trying to get a good deal.
Night Life: We didn't enjoy shows at night and didn't attend the disco.
Jamaicans/ locals: Basically, they are pushy and will not leave you alone. Locals are allowed on the beach area and will try to sell you items, jewelry, tours and drugs. The resort staff said that they will try to give you an item and if you touch it, they will demand for you to pay for it. Use caution!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Otel, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Despegar.com so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios