“Fun Family vacation!” 4 of 5 stars

1 week vacation

Jamaica
Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios

WESTJET
All air carriers could learn from WestJet, so easy to check in at Pearson,
and Montego Bay.
Unfortunately you can't upgrade, as we like to do with AirTransat, CanJet
and Sunwing, but you can reserve your seat, but only through your travel
agent. Our rep at Selloffvacations decided to charge us $25.00 to do this!
There is no food or alcohol included, but you can buy food, or take your
own.
We went to the Airport Lounge first, with online coupon, $25.00 each for 2
hours, all alcohol and food is included, with internet available, and a
great view of the airport. They told us if we had brought our AMEX card, it
would be free!
The transfer to the hotel is about an hour, but we considered it a free
scenic trip.

SUNQUEST
Lenore, our Sunquest rep, was one of the best we have ever had.
I gave her $20 and she bought me a yellow CoolRunnings baseball hat and
delivered it to me the day we left.
She also helped my daughter. who flew in from Edmonton with AirCanada, to
print off her missing hotel voucher.

RESTAURANTS
Sunquest and AirCanada have a la cartes resos set aside for each person, so
no lineups.
They fill up quickly.

TRIPS
If there is a problem with the weather, they will reschedule or refund your
money. As a family, we took the CoolRunnings full day catamaran trip, and
enjoyed it. Take cash, as they offer food and Tshirts and fabulous hats for
sale. Food in not included.
We took a few nutrition bars, but they sell delicious Jamaican patties for
$3.00. The rum bar does not open until you have snorkeled and climbed Dunns
Falls, a good idea!

RESORT
The elevators were no problem, and the room was fine. The balcony was very
small, but we spent our time at the beach.
The cruise ships are right in front of you on the beach, it's amazing to
watch them dock!
Snorkeling is in a designated area, due to jetskis and boat traffic.
The food and service at the a la cartes was 4 star in our opinion.
The buffet was fine, service was great, and we especially appreciated two
servers, Sharika and Wendy.
I found the red and white wine quite good, and available at all bars, not
just at meals
Drinks are served in acrylic glasses, but it's a good idea to bring your own
covered cup.
Can not comment on the entertainment, as we are early to bed.

OCHO RIOS
It is a short walk into town, left is the village, and right is the Straw
Market.

Enjoy!

Wendy

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel has several pros & cons.

Pros:
-great location; about 10 mins drive to Dunn River Falls
-there are markets within walking distance from the resort where you can 'sight-see' and get a sense of the 'real' Jamaica
-seems like a family friendly hotel (if this is what you are looking for; we were looking for more of a party atmosphere, which we definitely did not find here)
-for the most part, hotel seems pretty sanitary; housekeepers came on a daily basis and were respectful if you put the 'do not disturb' sign
-it's a pretty good hotel if you want to relax, definitely a low key atmosphere, the beach was gorgeous and the weather was perfect!
-rooms were semi-upgraded with a flat screen tv with several cable channels (no ipod dock though)

Cons:
-honestly, about a 2 hour drive from montego bay airport; so if you're the type that wants to get your vacation started as quickly as possible, this may not be the location for you!
-all inclusive portion states that it includes in-room safe (however when you get there, they require a $100 deposit for the lock for the safe; they say they will return upon check-out; we were never able to find out as none of us trusted that feature)
-there is NO FREE WI-FI (they charge you $5/hr, $15/day or $30/week for wifi access; needless to say, we did not purchase any of these)
-they require a minimum cash deposit of $15 (US) per card towel; you are responsible for keeping and returning the card and upon returning the card towel at check-out; this (again) was another feature we did not use because we were lucky enough to encounter staff who handed us towels for free (which we held on to during our stay at the hotel - sanitary, no but economical, yes)
-in all honesty, the food was mediocre; the only decent meal we had was at the asian restaurant (Ginger Lily) located in the hotel. Other than that, if you went to the buffet 1/2 to 1 hour before closing, most of the food was gone!
-as opposed to advertisements, there weren't as many non-motorized as advertised. there were jet-skis and snorkeling excursions for additional fees.
-in order to call out of the country with a calling card (which you can purchase in the hotel lobby), the hotel charges you an additional $.30 service fee for each connection. that means if you try calling someone 3 different times and finally reach them the 3rd time, you end up paying $.90 just to place the call! I thought that was a total rip-off but it only costs $.10/min to call the US.
-some rooms did not come with a fridge/iron; it was a group of 6 of us with 3 rooms and there was only 1 room that came with both; the others had to call the desk to request to get these (guess this is a hit or miss with this hotel)
-the beds were not the most comfortable things to sleep on; be prepared to encounter hard beds!

HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS!

Room Tip: South Pointe Tower had pretty nice views of the beach!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was a return visit to the Sunset Jamaica Grande in Ocho Rios, via an Air Canada Vacations. After a few days of relax and unwind, It was meetings and workshops with Jamaican teachers. It is a great spot for a conference. I like the place, because it is familiar to me, Jamaican owned and has a variety of activities for all ages. There is also a good mix of "sun-seekers", West Indian tourists and conference goers. The all-inclusive includes drinks, and It is a place where I agree with another reviewer that you "never go hungry or thirstly". I also like the fact that it is in Ocho Rios, rather than an isolated enclave.....but that might be everyone's cup of tea, or "bottle of Red Stripe". I rated sleep quality as average, only because Saturday nights are a bit "jump-up" noisy. It was all around good value for the cost of the AC package.

bmmOttawa

Room Tip: South tower gives "ocean views" but the "far" side view is the hills and bay are...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Prince Albert
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We stayed at the Sunset for two weeks - there were both great and not so great things - among the best part of the stay was the lady at the Palm Dining room - the regular buffet - this lady made us feel like we were the only important clients there!!! - wow what a feeling - she knew what we liked, remembered what we drank etc - her name is Sonia Foster - if you go to the Sunset - ask to sit in Sonia's section - she is amazing and a credit to her profession. The room in the hotel was just OK - but then we didn't spend much time there. There is a very limited number of palapa's on the beach so when it was hot it was too hot to stay on the beach for long - the pools were great and we had a great selection of tours. The poorest part was the evening entertainment - all but did not exist - we were there late in the season - April so maybe that could account - all in all we enjoyed our time there!!

Room Tip: we stayed in the cabana - direct beach access - would definitely recommend it
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed at this resort for five days last week while presenting at a workshop. It was my third time there. I stayed in an ocean-view room in the south tower.

Check-in was fine, although there was a little mix-up with the online check-in. Apparently when you check in online, you need to print the form when you do so, and bring it with you. That being said, they still gave us our half hour of free wifi, and no worries with our restaurant reservations as those were being taken care of by the AC Vacations rep.

Our rooms were ready upon arrival around 3:30 pm. When I got upstairs, I discovered some water dripping from the air conditioning vent. I called downstairs and someone was there within 5 minutes. It turned out someone had left the balcony door open, which causes condensation. This was explained, fixed, and one fellow went to get a mop to clean up, even though there wasn't much water on the floor at that point. Better service than I have gotten in other places when there was a problem by far.

The room was basic, but clean and functional. I was on the ninth floor facing the water, and yes, it did look out over the roof of the facilities below, but I still got that breathtaking view of the Caribbean every morning. The bed was fine - much better than the one I had in Brussels a couple of weeks earlier - and the room was kept clean. Water pressure in the bathroom was great and there was never a problem with hot water. The room came with a small walk-in closet, iron and ironing board, tea kettle, alarm clock, and small fridge. The only issues with the room were that it did face the side where the evening entertainment happened, so while I was well away from the disco, the evening entertainment went on until 11 pm and was loud. This likely would not be an issue for someone on holiday, but as I was working, it did keep me up longer than I would have liked. The other issue was kind of odd. When I arrived, there was no bath mat, but lots of towels. After the first day, a floor mat arrived, but the hand towel disappeared never to be seen again. No worries - this is Jamaica and I just used a wash cloth which was always replaced.

Bar service (when I had time) and meal service was fine. The servers in the buffet work very hard and I never had to wait for tea in the morning or water or drinks with other meals. There is a line-up for the omelet station, but it never took more than 10 minutes to get through it and there are lots of other options if one doesn't want to wait. I love a fresh omelet, so I waited. Food was plentiful, and reasonably good - as with any buffet, there are some things they do better and some things that just don't do well in a buffet setting. The lunches and evening meals were fine - there is always a choice of meats, fish, salads, fruit, and the dessert section is guaranteed to help you put on weight. Service was always very friendly, with servers greeting you with a smile and a cheery good morning or hello.

We did manage to try three of the four specialty restaurants. For some reason, the Grand Terrace was not listed as an option for us, so we didn't get in there. My favourite has always been the Italian place and this time was no exception. Both food and service were comparable to fine dining in lots of places in the world. And the wine in the specialty restaurants is a little better than what is available in the buffet (where it is not even palatable.) We also had very good meals in the Ginger Lily and South Beach restaurants. I love the South Beach because you are outside and because the food is more local.

I only spent a short time swimming one morning, so can't comment on all of the beach areas, but this resort is not one to come to for the beach. The pools seem to be lovely and well-used, and there is so much pool space that you should be able to find quiet if that's what you want, or fun if that is more your taste. I can't comment on activities or stuff for children as I was working most of the time I was there. It is a short walk from the resort into Ocho Rios. To the right as you leave the resort are the tourist areas and craft market, and to the left is the area where locals shop. One other thing I would highly recommend is getting off the resort for a tour or two, and not necessarily just the Dunns River Falls tour. The last time I was there we took a tour to a coffee plantation in the hills, and we also did a tour to see Noel Coward's home, Firefly, as well as a fruit plantation. Both tours were really interesting and a chance to see a less touristy side of Jamaica.

As I noted in my header, the staff here was always friendly. It was rare to pass someone anywhere in the resort without them greeting you, and the service from the restaurants to the bars (especially the lobby bar) to the front desk to my one visit to the towel hut was always friendly. I am not sure what happened with the folks who have reviewed this resort and noted unfriendly staff, as we never encountered this.

To sum up, if you are looking for luxury, then pay the money and go for it, but if you are looking for a comfortable, friendly resort where you can soak up the sun, I can recommend the Sunset Jamaica Grande.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Biloxi, Mississippi
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

Room was in the worst shape of any resort I've ever visited!!..The air conditoner was leaking from the ceiling, bathtubs were full of scum, mold was all over the walls, the sheets were dirty..The smell was just horrible!!..I ended up getting hospitalized after coming back to the states for a severe upper respiratory infection.. This was most likely due to sleeping in this moldy room..Beware!!..The rooms look nothing like the pictures that are advertised..The only nice thing about this resort was the beautiful beaches...I do not recommend this resort to anyone

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was not my first trip to Jamaica, but it was the first trip to Ocho Rios. I have since been to this hotel twice, and would go back again for sure.
My favorite part of this hotel is the layout of the hotel and the pools. I am not a big "pool" person, but I like the fact that no matter where you are in the hotel, there is a pool close by.
The beaches are wonderful, and I like how they have floating rings that you can relax on. I was there in July 2012 and January 2013, in January the rings were not out, but it is an extra bonus. The rooms were nice, both times I had the exact same room just on different floors, and they were the same, other than a few wicker pieces of furniture. The staff is really nice. On our second trip there a lot of the staff recognized us and gave us the special treatment and we were able to partake in a returning guest dinner, which was fabulous! It fell on our last night there, so it was a great way to end the trip.
The food was good, nothing too crazy good, although I do love the jerk chicken....but doesnt everyone when they go to Jamaica! A few changes have taken place since my first trip, but everything was great! We LOVE the italian restaurant and their bread!! Sooo delicious!
Everything at this hotel was great! Although it is very family friendly, my fiance and I were still able to have 2 very romantic trips together :)

Room Tip: I stayed in the south tower both times, and it was great! Never did get to see the other tower, so I...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!