This hotel has several pros & cons.
-great location; about 10 mins drive to Dunn River Falls
-there are markets within walking distance from the resort where you can 'sight-see' and get a sense of the 'real' Jamaica
-seems like a family friendly hotel (if this is what you are looking for; we were looking for more of a party atmosphere, which we definitely did not find here)
-for the most part, hotel seems pretty sanitary; housekeepers came on a daily basis and were respectful if you put the 'do not disturb' sign
-it's a pretty good hotel if you want to relax, definitely a low key atmosphere, the beach was gorgeous and the weather was perfect!
-rooms were semi-upgraded with a flat screen tv with several cable channels (no ipod dock though)
-honestly, about a 2 hour drive from montego bay airport; so if you're the type that wants to get your vacation started as quickly as possible, this may not be the location for you!
-all inclusive portion states that it includes in-room safe (however when you get there, they require a $100 deposit for the lock for the safe; they say they will return upon check-out; we were never able to find out as none of us trusted that feature)
-there is NO FREE WI-FI (they charge you $5/hr, $15/day or $30/week for wifi access; needless to say, we did not purchase any of these)
-they require a minimum cash deposit of $15 (US) per card towel; you are responsible for keeping and returning the card and upon returning the card towel at check-out; this (again) was another feature we did not use because we were lucky enough to encounter staff who handed us towels for free (which we held on to during our stay at the hotel - sanitary, no but economical, yes)
-in all honesty, the food was mediocre; the only decent meal we had was at the asian restaurant (Ginger Lily) located in the hotel. Other than that, if you went to the buffet 1/2 to 1 hour before closing, most of the food was gone!
-as opposed to advertisements, there weren't as many non-motorized as advertised. there were jet-skis and snorkeling excursions for additional fees.
-in order to call out of the country with a calling card (which you can purchase in the hotel lobby), the hotel charges you an additional $.30 service fee for each connection. that means if you try calling someone 3 different times and finally reach them the 3rd time, you end up paying $.90 just to place the call! I thought that was a total rip-off but it only costs $.10/min to call the US.
-some rooms did not come with a fridge/iron; it was a group of 6 of us with 3 rooms and there was only 1 room that came with both; the others had to call the desk to request to get these (guess this is a hit or miss with this hotel)
-the beds were not the most comfortable things to sleep on; be prepared to encounter hard beds!
HOPE THIS REVIEW HELPS!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios