This was my second trip to Jamaica, first time in Ocho Rios. The bus ride was 1 hour 45 minutes from the airport with a bathroom/drink break half way to the resort.
The resort is located in downtown Ocho Rios, it is safe to walk into town during the day. Tip: if you want to shop where the locals go, turn left out of the resort entrance/exit. If you want to go where the tourists are, turn right. Locals will do anything for money, sell you products, take you on a walking tour, etc. Simply say no if you're not interested and they will leave you alone. We shopped downtown with the locals and entered a supermarket to purchase spices, Blue Mountain coffee, etc at cheaper prices.
We stayed on the 9th floor in the South tower. The room was clean, had updated bedding, flat screen tv, fresh paint and the perfect view. The sliding door was difficult to use and the bathtub looked old and worn.
Food at the buffet was ok. I eat allot of vegetables and found the buffet lacked in the vegetable dept. Tip: arrive early to eat for best selection. If you arrive within an hour of the buffet closing, the food selection will be slim at best. At lunch hour there are 2 snack bars, one serves grilled jerk chicken with salad. The Jerk chicken was our favorite, its spicy, tender, has an excellent bbq flavor and is served with a jerk sauce and bread.
We enjoyed 3 a la carte dinners - the South Beach restaurant was our favorite with local cuisine. Our second favorite was the La Diva Italian restaurant and our least favorite was the Ginger Lily Asian restaurant. Book as soon as you arrive at the resort. If you travel with Air Canada you receive automatic a la carte restaurant reservations.
When looking at the advertised picture of the resort, it looks like there are two large beaches when in fact there is one large beach to the south and one small beach to the north. I tried snorkeling on both sides of the beach and found the water too cloudy and weedy to see anything.
We traveled to Montego Bay and stayed at the sister resort with the family which I found to be much better in all ways.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Otel, Despegar.com and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios