My experience: We paid extra for an ocean front and what we received was a room with a side view, only, of the bay. The air conditioning didn't work and it was almost midnight before someone came to repair it. Once it was fixed, we could no longer lower the air conditioning, and it was always cold. The patio door on our balcony did not close and they never came to fix it. It is an older hotel,and the hallways smell very musty and the people at the front desk (check-in), and the currency desk, are not friendly. You always feel as if you are disturbing them. One of the places where we could exchange towels, was rarely opened.There were not enough bamboo shaded areas, so people were actually arguing over them. You are obliged to buy a calling card from them, if you want to make international phone calls. They then charge you $.30 for every phone call you put through. There was at least 4 of my calls that the calling card could not put through, and I was charged for them anyway.
Having said this, I found that the hotel was very clean. It was very safe. I enjoyed the food. Everyone, other than the services mentioned above were just GREAT. The person cleaning our room,Kimone Campbell, was super. The waiters and waitresses were wonderful. A young man, Andre Smith, served us our coffee and drinks at breakfast and lunch,most of the time,and he was great.I had a wonderful massage by Novelette, and I felt as if I was in heaven.
The hotel was rated as a 4 star, but most people on Trip Advisor have rated it as a 3.5 and I think that I have to agree with them if I take into consideration the negative events that occurred. I think that if cost is the only deciding factor in choosing which hotel to stay, then this is a good place. It is cheaper than the 5 stars, and you do enjoy yourself and feel safe
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios