“My experience at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort

You added Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   * The resort will be closed until March 2015, when it will reopen as a Palace Resort * | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Gatineau, Canada
“My experience at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My experience: We paid extra for an ocean front and what we received was a room with a side view, only, of the bay. The air conditioning didn't work and it was almost midnight before someone came to repair it. Once it was fixed, we could no longer lower the air conditioning, and it was always cold. The patio door on our balcony did not close and they never came to fix it. It is an older hotel,and the hallways smell very musty and the people at the front desk (check-in), and the currency desk, are not friendly. You always feel as if you are disturbing them. One of the places where we could exchange towels, was rarely opened.There were not enough bamboo shaded areas, so people were actually arguing over them. You are obliged to buy a calling card from them, if you want to make international phone calls. They then charge you $.30 for every phone call you put through. There was at least 4 of my calls that the calling card could not put through, and I was charged for them anyway.
Having said this, I found that the hotel was very clean. It was very safe. I enjoyed the food. Everyone, other than the services mentioned above were just GREAT. The person cleaning our room,Kimone Campbell, was super. The waiters and waitresses were wonderful. A young man, Andre Smith, served us our coffee and drinks at breakfast and lunch,most of the time,and he was great.I had a wonderful massage by Novelette, and I felt as if I was in heaven.
The hotel was rated as a 4 star, but most people on Trip Advisor have rated it as a 3.5 and I think that I have to agree with them if I take into consideration the negative events that occurred. I think that if cost is the only deciding factor in choosing which hotel to stay, then this is a good place. It is cheaper than the 5 stars, and you do enjoy yourself and feel safe

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,308)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Picked us up from our cruise ship (originally gave a $100 deposit, which was $20 a person for my family), there was 32 in our group. We waited 45 minutes for the buses. When we got to the resort they acted like they never had a group before. They crammed us in a little room (all of us). When that didn't work they moved us all to the lobby. Finally almost 45 min later and another of my $200 later, we head to the buffet. Sorry buffet doesn't open until 1215 island time, which is another hour. Hmmm. So we go to get a burger for the kids and the soda machine doesn't work. Stand "in line" for an adult drink, what a joke, 20 min of that, and one bartender. Line doesn't move, and pick the smallest, plastic cup, in your cabinet and that's what you get. Although we never got one. So while I am waiting my husband goes to get towels and guess what??? We have NO towels...and when are you going to have them? I have no clue.. That was it for me. I went for my refund. I only got my $200 back they wouldn't give me back my $100 deposit. Whatever I had to get my kids out of there. My other friend tried to get snorkel gear for his son...we have NO snorkel gear. My one friend who brought his own snorkel gear walked over rocks to get to the water and saw seaweed and cans in the water. In short 19 of us left. We went to Margaritaville and spent my ($200) there and everyone and a great time.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on our FIRST all inclusive trip down south at this hotel from march 2nd to march 10th. Having read all the reviews, I was slightly nervous but decided not to stress about it too much and just go and form my own opinion. So here it is:

The first day we arrived it was raining and it stayed like that for most of the trip. I thought the main lobby of the hotel was really nice however we paid for a "cabana" room and I don't know if it was worth the extra money, The walls are paper thin (kinda awkward for couples...) and we were in room 201 which meant it wasn't beachfront because a)we were on the second floor and b) we had a view of basically the pool and the grill. If you get a cabana room try to get the higher numbers as they actually have the view you're paying for.

I thought the food was really good. Buffet and restaurants. Lot's of rice, veggies, chicken, lamb kabobs. I thought there was a good selection for those who are picky and those who are not.

The beach was pretty good (aside from the weather) but it was really annoying how some/most people would literally wake up at 8am to put their towels on the best spots, yet then they would leave for hours at a time. I felt like everyone needed a better lesson in SHARING and realize that it's kinda rude to do that, in my opinion. If people didn't do that, there likely wouldn't be much of an issue of not finding a chair.

Going to town was a little overwhelming. The locals are quite pushy. Everyone and their dog is an "unofficial tour guide". They are really just trying to make money, which I understand, but we don't have a lot of money, so we just wanted to try to blend in and soak up the vibes. I never felt unsafe just overwhelmed. We did end up going in town about 5 times, and I got more comfortable the more we went.

If you want to buy weed you just need to go into town. It's really easy. We got it within 2 minutes of leaving the resort. But if you are a little scared to do that, you can go on the Bob Marley Nine Mile Tour. That was the best part of our trip for me. You get to go on an awesome drive in the mountains, and it's LEGAL to smoke it at the museum. They sell joints, seeds, cakes, quarters and tea. Slightly expensive but the joints are huge. Our guide Dee was amazing. You're lucky if you get her and Russel the driver.

I think the hotel could use more staff, but everyone that was working seemed to be great. I think the real problem is obnoxious people who treat the staff like they are "the help". They are people too, they are trying to do their job the best they can. I would like to see some of the rude people get behind the bar and try serving 30 drunk people with only one other colleague. Have some patience.

I feel like this resort would be best for a group of friends or a family. It didn't feel romantic to me. I think I overpaid. It was basically $3000 for us to go. But this was my first trip so I didn't know what a normal price would be or what I should be getting for my money.

I probably won't go back to this hotel or Ocho Rios for a long time. My stay wasn't good enough to make me a repeat customer but it was decent enough for me to enjoy myself. I also have a feeling that if the weather had been better, I would have had a better time. Although the weather is clearly out of the hotel's control, it still affects my rating on my overall experience.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and myself just spent our third vacation at Sunset Ja Grande.
This is a very nice resort but what make it special is the people who work there..
Every one is so nice. From maids to mangers.

The person that really stands out and is one of the reasons we keep going back is Calesia Thompson.

Calesia is always so welcoming and helpful. This women really loves her job and it shows in the way she performs it. She seem to constantly go out of her way (and beyond) to make our and everyone else's vacation special. We had a great time as always. Thanks Calesia

Room Tip: Just ask at front desk. they are very helpful
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

You get what you pay for. The food is average, the rooms are average and the entertainment is below average. Jamaica is a beautiful place. If you are going to just use the resort as a place to sleep then it works but if you get one day of bad weather and need to stay in it is lacking everything!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ste. Anne, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were a bit worried after we read some reviews. Some people are never happy, they just like to complain. We had a blast. The staff where just great. Our room was fine, and always comfortable and clean. Some days the room didn't get make up till later in the afternoon but that's because a lot of people would leave and new people were coming in so those rooms needed to be done first.' No problem mon'. The food was delicious and I'm a picky eater. The staff in the buffet were always there to refill your coffee and get your orange juice in the morning. At dinner time the staff keep your wine glasses full. They were always happy to take your pics of you, with your camera. They don't expect tips, but you can give them one while shaking their hand. Was impressed that there was a food station for the kids with kids kind of food even though we didn't have children with us. The grounds and beach were very clean and tidy. Would like to have had more shade spots, but would find some if we went to the beach later. The beach isn't really wide but was fun to get to know people around you faster. It was well worth the $ to stay at this lovely resort. We are going back again without a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for South Tower, ocean view and upper floors, as Spring breakers are in the North in March. Thi...
Centerville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Prior to going to this resort, I read all of the reviews, good and bad. I figured that it's all relative to what someone is expecting or used to in a vacation resort. I have a budget for my vacations, but I still want a nice place to stay and good food, etc. What I learned with this trip is that you get what you pay for with all-inclusive vacations. But please know these main factors about Sunset Grande Jamaica: 1. The resort is old, not well maintained, and the rooms are just not good. The bed skirts in our room looked like they hadn't been washed in years. 2. The food is not good; very little variety, bland, cold when it should be hot, warm when it should be cold, and the meat was dry. 3. When they say all inclusive as it relates to alcohol that's misleading because there are a very limited number of drinks that they can, or will, make. All of the bartenders skills were sub-par at best, the resort doesn't stock a huge variety of different alcohols, and the only beer served is Red Stripe. The North Side pool bar actually ran out of vodka twice during my 4 day stay. 4. There were no receptacles in the bathroom of our room and the blow dryer was from the 70's I think. 5. After dinner there is nothing to do at this resort except to go to the bar, but from what we found there is only one dance bar here. You don't dare go off property after dark unless you're with a group or a man because the locals are scary and they constantly approach tourists. 6. The all inclusive package we got included non-motorized water sports. In actuality this meant snorkeling and paddle boats; the snorkeling sucked because you're on your own and not permitted to go out far enough to see anything other than seaweed and rocks, and the one and only paddleboat the resort seemed to have was broken. Really? Ridiculous! Like I said, I read the reviews and thought that everyone can have an opinion and it's all relative, but people, trust me, please, the things noted a bove are true and I could go into much more detail, but the bottom line is, I would never, ever spend my money to go back to this resort. I made the best of my time there but I was sorely disappointed. So, still not convinced that this is not the place you should spend your time and money? Well, let me give you a few tips then. You don't need to exchange your american currency into Jamaican; they'll take your money and give you change in American dollars. This resort is two hours from the airport in Montego Bay. We used Jamaican Tours for our transfers and they were good, but book it before you get there. If you get car sick easily bring something to take because that two hours transfer to the resort can get bumpy. They say this is a non-tipping resort because it's all inclusive, but the staff will surely take tips under the table if offered. Some staff will hang there for a minute waiting on a tip, but you're not obligated to tip them. Bring at least one of your own beach towels; each guest gets one towel at a time but the chaise lounges get hot and the portion not covered by a towel is uncomfortable, so two towels on a chair is best. Bring a large travel cup from home, or buy one when you get there because all of the drinks at the resort are served in small plastic (reuseable) cups and you're constantly up getting refills because they're so small. Plus, the cups just seem kinda dirty because they go through them so fast and I wondered how well they were actually being washed each time. If you go to Dunns Falls and plan to climb, you don't need to rent or buy water shoes; your gym shoes from home do just fine and you'll save money regardless of them trying to tell you otherwise. If you like your "thread count" on your bed sheets at home, you might want to consider bringing some with you because the bed sheets are cheap, starched to high heaven and scratchy as hell, as are the bath towels. Oh, and there is some funky type of soap in a dispenser in the shower; we never could figure out if it was shampoo or soap, but hot tip - bring your own body wash from home. Seem like alot of tips and things you should bring with you? It is, and again, my suggestion is to just not go there in the first place, really.

Room Tip: My only helpful room tip is to stay at another resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!