“Romantic Sunset Wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
White Plains, New York
“Romantic Sunset Wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My fiancé, now husband, and I got married at the Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort. Despite the rain all day, it all suddenly stopped and held up for our ceremony and it was just beautiful! We enjoyed our 8 day stay and had a wonderful time. Added bonus, because we got married, they upgraded our room to a complimentary suite for our honeymoon for the remainder of our stay. Our wedding coordinator, Shelly Ann, was absolutely fabulous and made the experience one to remember. We have wonderful pictures from the on resort photographer that we were so pleased with.

This is a fabulous resort and bus loads of guests arrive daily, it is a nice locale with many nice amenities, however, the hotel itself could benefit from an upgrade and a face-lift. Some modern renovations would make this spot even better. It was comfortable and always clean! FYI, Wireless is available for a fee, but only in the public lobby areas and not in your rooms/suites, but if you are on vacation, this shouldn't be an issue to be unplugged for a change.

We loved our lobster dinner on the beach, would highly recommend that, as it is reasonably priced and was a fabulous dinner venue. Bring a sweater or shawl as it gets chilly. There was always an abundance of food at the daily buffets for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Only downside, the food was very light on the seasonings, so if it is authentic Jamaican fare you crave, venture into town to eat during your stay. Other meal options included a traditional Jamaican cuisine restaurant, Italian, and Asian, where you need to make reservations a day in advance for seating. If it is real traditional Jamaican fare that you seek, you are better served by going into town to get the real thing, as the portions at the Jamaican restaurant are small to say the least and lacked real authentic seasonings (note: this is coming from two native Jamaican's (yardies) who love their spicy food).

The staff were always accessible and extremely helpful and prompt to resolve any issues or address any concerns. Extremely friendly and receptive to any needs and always greeted you with a smile and a warm hello.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

4,536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We (my husband and I) stayed here the week of Feb 22-Mar 1, 2013. This was our first time to Jamaica. We stayed in the South Tower, on the 9th floor in a renovated oceanfront room. The view was terrific from this room and the room was updated and kept clean! They are just basic hotel rooms with a tub/shower combo. The actual hotel buildings that house the rooms do appear a bit dated, but like I said everything was nice and clean and the grounds were beautiful and always immaculate! The buffet was good...we are not picky eaters so we always found lots of yummy food to eat! The jerk chicken and pork were great and the rolls are melt in your mouth! For breakfast we were always there around 7am when they first opened so there was always lots of food, however, another couple that were travelling with us went later several times closer to 9:30ish and the selection is getting smaller, of course because the breakfast buffet closes at 10 so they are not going to replace everything in huge amounts as they do not want huge amounts of food left over. I have been to resorts where there was more selection available in the buffet and the rooms were nicer....but I also paid several hundred more to go there! So you get what you pay for in my opinion!
A huge shout out to Ms. Campbell who works the morning and lunch in the buffet...we always sat in her section and she was always smiling and super nice!! We travelled with Air Canada and they guarantee 3 a la carte dinner reservations and they are made for you before you arrive. However, we had no problems to change days or times if needed! So we got to try 3 of the a la cartes....asian( Ginger Lily), italian (La Diva), and carribbean (South Beach). The food in all three was good and we enjoyed getting dressed up and having romantic dinners! The nightly entertainment, I thought, was not my cup of tea as a large portion was just singing. There was one night where there was quite a bit of interaction with the crowd and I enjoyed that! Other then that the waterslides were fun. I did not spend anytime in the pools...all my time was spent on the beach and it was great! Like most other resorts if you want a shaded area you need to get up at a decent hour to reserve your spot on the beach...but as for finding chairs it was never a problem any time of day! There was also some decent snorkeling out along the two points...saw lots of colourful fish!
For day trips we did the Cool Runnings Catamaran Tour to Dunn's River Falls and snorkeling....that tour was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it!!! We also did the Blue Mountain Bicycle Tour where they take you 7000ft up the moutain in a bus and you get on bicycles and ride down the mountain. Brunch and lunch were included and you get to go swimming at an awesome waterfall at the end....this excursion is definintely worth the money. It was also a great way to see the countryside!!
Another nice thing about this particular resort is its location....you are close to lots of things to do....including being able to just walk off the resort and explore the town of Ocho Rios, go shopping, have a Red Stripe at a local bar and grill, etc!! Would definitely recommend this resorts to others!

Room Tip: The south tower has renovated rooms, which were nice but I did not see what rooms in the north tower...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Elbow Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Just got home from a fantastic 7 days at the resort. From the moment we arrived we loved it there!! The resort is a bit dated but so comfortable and clean. We had a great time with the entertainment crew. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The north tower is a little noisy until about eleven at night but the view is fantastic. The food was delicious and I highly recommend the lobster dinner on the beach! Sometimes we had to wait in line for drinks at the bar but no big deal. I can not wait to go back

Room Tip: We were on the 11th floor so fabulous view. If wanting a quiet room you should ask for south tower.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I think I selected a great hotel to enjoy my vacation.. I stayed 10 days.. All the bad reviews got to be people of a competitor view.. My experience was great and sorry it taken me this long to write one.. I travel solo and I had a really good time the people was great and the hotel was excellent.. I stayed in the South tower on the 12 floor room service was right on point.. The food was sort of different but I enjoyed it also.. I need to give a special round of applause to the bartenders they all was extra nice and treated me really good.. They also fixed me with a special drink of my own.. Thank you guys! The hotel itself was nice and clean and so was the pool area and beaches was beautiful too.. So my experience there was great and I will be back this May for another vacation of 10 days also.. I do plan on moving around more and going places to sight see more.. May 2013 I will be back!!!

Room Tip: South tower is updated and I believe the farther up you are the more beautiful the scene will be but...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my second time visiting the Jamaica grande hotel. The first time was good but this time it was amazing, they were a lot more attentive and seem to take a general interest in their customer feedback. There was even a lot more peeks to visiting a second time round we were given free wifi, welcome drink has you arrive and a lot more help with accommodating us on arrival. The staff were amazing when it came to attending to our general needs and were very polite. some of the staff names were Richard Hutchinson, grill staff, Paul Williams, Bryran Gooden and the staff that clean the room. overall all the staff i came across were very polite and provide me with excellent service during my stay. I'm looking forward to my third visit already.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge because i believe it will come in handy during your stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Sunset Jamaica Grande is a great resort to host your big day and I couldn't have imagined it any better! Our wedding was held at the North gazebo and everything turned out better than i could have ever imagined. Shelly and her crew did a fantastic job at bringing all my visions to life and making our special day one that we will remember forever :) All the staff are extremely friendly and so energetic. Loved every minute of our stay!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading the reviews of this resort I was a little worried, but those negative reviews couldn't be more wrong. It was the BEST time my husband and I have ever had on vacation. The service was AMAZING. All of the staff was so nice and so willing to help with anything they could. The food was delicious and they had plenty of options so there was always something to enjoy (my favorite was the yummy French toast). The drinks were strong and they kept them coming. It wasn't too crowded at all, there were always plenty of beach chairs. Our room was nice and clean. The bed was hard to us, but that's hardly a complaint since we didn't spend much time in our rooms! We're planning on going back this year, and can't wait! Don't listen to those bad reviews, I think those people would have been unhappy no matter where they went!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabana suite on ground level which guaranteed an ocean view. We didn't have muc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!